• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim1138

Agreed, but I still do not like the fact that they intend to distance her even more from the bat family.

I really hope that of Harper, Stephanie and Carrie one of them comes into their own as an ACTUAL member. I am tired of the boy's club shit.

I disagree completely, distancing her from the Bat-family is one of the best decisions they made. Now the new team can tell their own story and not have to worry about getting sucker into the latest crossover and it screwing up the pacing of their book. Between the Owls and Joker, something like a quarter of the first 16 or so issues of N52 Batgirl were spent telling someone else's story.

Speaking of Hellboy, I just read Lobster Johnson: The Burning Hand and it was very good.

Self-contained story, great writing and art, good atmosphere. What's not to love?

Yea, I absolutely love that one, Zonjic really knocks it out of the park. The fun thing is, as always, it does completely stand alone, but at the same time, it's fleshing out some of the legacy elements hinted at for the Black Flame (who
an incarnation of at least
has shown up in BPRD) and some other stuff. I love everything about the Lobster though, it really pushes my buttons. One of the books I have on the way right now is volume 3, smells a rat, so I'm pretty psyched for that. You should consider checking out Sledgehammer 44 :)

These Francavilla pinups are so so so good.

Donie's right, you don't have to make things complicated w/ the Mignolaverse... I just have the preference of reading it all in publication date order (by arc, not issue) because it keeps each title fresh. Once or twice a year I decide to reread everything over again, and the constant variety of reading in that order keeps me from getting title fatigue. It also ensures those few moments (where aspects from one title bleeds into another) always hit you the way they're supposed to.

For example, I personally think that starting BPRD after Hellboy: The Conqueror Worm is the most powerful way to go about it... and there are a few other occasions (though, I could count them on one hand) where reading certain events in a specific order gives you that extra OOMPH that I don't like missing out on.

I definitely agree, I like to do chunks of each when I do a big reread. I don't go full bore, switched each arc on every arc but if I'm going right through BPRD and Hellboy I'll move over after a chunk and of course where it makes sense (always do HB 1-5 first as epr your example!). What I love is that once you pass HB vol. 5, BPRD really runs one way with some of the stuff that was set up and build its own identity, while HB goes the other and does the same thing. The way it's built up over the years, you get incredible variety between the various books, but you can still trace most of it all back to HB 1 - 5. Hellboy's origins, the more cooky sci-fi mysticism of the third reich, Lobster, Abe's origins, Edward Grey...it was ALL there (and the aliens!).

I really need to write something about Baltimore in the next day or two as well. For anyone who doesn't know it, it's something Mike works on with Christopher Golden, and is its own separate entity to all the HB/BPRD stuff, it's own world as such. I have enjoyed the first two volumes to varying degrees, but had been nothing as die hard as the normal mignola stuff, but it really clicked with me on volume 3, enjoyed it to no end, and Stenbeck kills the art. I guess Golden just found his groove, or I found mine with him, and I liked how threads from various previous stories were finally tying up together. The Play was really weird and a little confusing, need to reread that one, but I LOVED Leskovar's remedy, and the inquisitor.

MartyStu

I disagree completely, distancing her from the Bat-family is one of the best decisions they made. Now the new team can tell their own story and not have to worry about getting sucker into the latest crossover and it screwing up the pacing of their book. Between the Owls and Joker, something like a quarter of the first 16 or so issues of N52 Batgirl were spent telling someone else's story.

I think that is a bigger issue how crossovers are structured. But you are right.

My point is that I would like at least ONE woman in the bat family that did not have to play second fiddle. Barbara says it best herself in Eternal: no matter what she does, she is never good enough for Bruce.

The bat family is DEAD. That was the entire point of Death of the Family. At least in theory. DC can't make up their minds what they want to do these days.

Harper and Stephanie seem like they'll be sidekicks at this point. I wonder if Harper is going to get partnered up with
Red Robin
, as that seems to be what's happening here. Also, has Carrie even been reintroduced in the New 52 yet?

Yeah, around the time Damian died. And a hearty 'lol' at the death of the family. After a few angst-ridden issues, the status quo reasserted itself readily enough.

I don't know,
I feel Batgirl should stick pretty close to Batman.
Batwoman being a little more distant worked well and formally Nightwing could be a bit of both.

Oh well, bring Cass back and they can do whatever they want with Barbara.

I don't know,
I feel Batgirl should stay pretty close to Batman.
Batwoman being a little more distant worked well and formally Nightwing could be a bit of both.

Batwoman has definitely kept more distance from Bruce than other members of the bat family. Her book has more of a paranormal focus, especially with things like the current Nocturna arc.

fauxtrot

Banned
I really need to write something about Baltimore in the next day or two as well. For anyone who doesn't know it, it's something Mike works on with Christopher Golden, and is its own separate entity to all the HB/BPRD stuff, it's own world as such. I have enjoyed the first two volumes to varying degrees, but had been nothing as die hard as the normal mignola stuff, but it really clicked with me on volume 3, enjoyed it to no end, and Stenbeck kills the art. I guess Golden just found his groove, or I found mine with him, and I liked how threads from various previous stories were finally tying up together. The Play was really weird and a little confusing, need to reread that one, but I LOVED Leskovar's remedy, and the inquisitor.

I totally agree, the first Baltimore trade was pretty great, but I felt like it took a while to really find its footing. The newest arcs have really seemed to worked for me, though, and I'm glad I kept with it.

I'm so excited to have other people to talk about Mignola with! :D

fauxtrot

Banned
I don't know,
I feel Batgirl should stick pretty close to Batman.

Oh well, bring Cass back and they can do whatever they want with Barbara.

We'll have to agree to disagree... the best Batgirl stories (for me) have little or nothing to do with Batman. I much prefer her on her own or with some of the non-Batman heroes. Oh, and you can have Cass. I don't need a female clone of Bruce. One grim-dark, brooding Bats is enough!

Does Kate even know her cousin is Batman?

I don't even know if DC editorial knows the answer to that question. They've been winging it for a while, now. But they must be doing something right, because I often feel like I get more value out of a $2.99 DC comic than most of the $3.99 Marvel books I buy.

I'm so excited to have other people to talk about Mignola with! :D

Haha, it's funny because people can be quiet about it around here but once it's mentioned, you suddenly realise there's actually quite a lot of people in here that are enthusiastic for the books. Once I've got this set of books in the mail I'll be completely up to date tradewise on everything, so I'll definitely be down to discuss some stuff, I can't imagine I'll make it through HBiH and not have stuff I need to say.

Did you ever read the Baltimore novel? Sadly I'm kind of fussy with novels (pretty much Stephen King or nothing these days, currently enjoying Christine) so while I loved the concept I just couldn't get through the book, Golden's prose style just didn't do it for me. So the comics have been a real boon in that regard, but it always makes me wonder if they'll cover the bit from the novel that's set AFTER he catches up with Haigus. I believe the whole concept is the book covers his initial origin and then years later when he catches him but they leave that big gap for the comics to play in. I love the groove they've got in with just finding Baltimore in the middle of some mad situation on his way to chasing another Haigus sighting, so I would be okay if it was just always short stories but I really want him to catch him too haha. The beginning to Leskovar's Remedy is incredible in that regard, when he just appears out of the crashed plane, already mid adventure.

This isn't the most traditional approach, but I personally like to introduce people to Hellboy with the third TPB, Hellboy: The Chained Coffin and Others. It's a collection of short stories that contains every aspect of what I think makes the series so magical, and isn't burdened with his origin story, etc. It doesn't spoil anything from Vol 1 or 2, and I'd say actually enhances those two trades when read prior to them. Anyone else agree?

Just spotted this btw, and I found it quite interesting, wanted to reply. I see why you would do it. I mean, Seed Of Destruction is an absolute classic and really got the ball rolling buuut it's kind of the odd duck too, since Byrne scripted it. I think I would say to people, if you weren't in complete love with SoD, at least give volume 2 a swing before you make up your mind because Mike's style is just so guh perfect. At the same time if you loved it, imo, it just gets better and better. There's an argument for The Chained Coffin and Others. Going back to what was said about trying to read them all in order and that not even necessarily worked by trade, this is a good example, because some of those actually came before wake the devil. And imo Seed of destruction and wake the devil you could argue actually feature more things, plot and tone, that end up defining the BPRD, while those short stories are kind of the backbone to what Hellboy becomes after the island. I don't know if I would recommend that first in the end, but I definitely see why you might. It's definitely very representative of how things progress, and that short story format is very inviting. I just love the short arc collections on both sides though, it's jsut so good. Was rereading the pickens county horror and others this evening, and I LOVE those stories! The transformation of JH O'Donnell </3 so sad but spooky and awesome.

Greg Capullo, leaving that reference pencil there to show how amazing he is.

Bs26JRuIUAAJv_j.jpg

tim1138

We'll have to agree to disagree... the best Batgirl stories (for me) have little or nothing to do with Batman. I much prefer her on her own or with some of the non-Batman heroes. Oh, and you can have Cass. I don't need a female clone of Bruce. One grim-dark, brooding Bats is enough!

This exactly.

In my perfect world, a newly resurrected Damian figures out Bruce has been lying about Dick being dead and leaves his father for good. He tracks down Dick and together with Babs and Beryl (now acting as Knight), they form their own Club of Heroes completely divorced of any involvement with Bruce and have many grand adventures.
Tomasi could write it since other than Morrison, he's the only one who writes Damian as a nuanced character and not just a psychopath.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
This exactly.

In my perfect world, a newly resurrected Damian figures out Bruce has been lying about Dick being dead and leaves his father for good. He tracks down Dick and together with Babs and Beryl (now acting as Knight), they form their own Club of Heroes completely divorced of any involvement with Bruce and have many grand adventures.
Tomasi could write it since other than Morrison, he's the only one who writes Damian as a nuanced character and not just a psychopath.
I still want Damian in Teen Titans. Along with Static. Basically i just want another Teen Tians reboot handled by competant storytellers.

Zombine

Banned
I still want Damian in Teen Titans. Along with Static. Basically i just want another Teen Tians reboot handled by competant storytellers.

Fuck it. Let's get Teen Titans ______ with those characters in it. Do it DC. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Edit: I'm pissed that out of any book James Stokoe could be put on, it's a fucking Marvel 100 issue.

fauxtrot

Banned
Steve Lieber just put a bunch of pages up on Etsy. When I saw this one, I had to have it. I am weak.

I'm super jealous. I love me some Fing Fang Foom!

Anyone else interested in his work, he has some sketches/inked pieces for $20-$100 (Hellboy, Abe Sapien, Power Girl, Two-Face, and more), and even a few Superior Foes of Spiderman pages available. And this colored Batman for only $75!

il_570xN.447119893_pk8e.jpg

Haha, it's funny because people can be quiet about it around here but once it's mentioned, you suddenly realise there's actually quite a lot of people in here that are enthusiastic for the books. Once I've got this set of books in the mail I'll be completely up to date tradewise on everything, so I'll definitely be down to discuss some stuff, I can't imagine I'll make it through HBiH and not have stuff I need to say.

Did you ever read the Baltimore novel? Sadly I'm kind of fussy with novels (pretty much Stephen King or nothing these days, currently enjoying Christine) so while I loved the concept I just couldn't get through the book, Golden's prose style just didn't do it for me. So the comics have been a real boon in that regard, but it always makes me wonder if they'll cover the bit from the novel that's set AFTER he catches up with Haigus. I believe the whole concept is the book covers his initial origin and then years later when he catches him but they leave that big gap for the comics to play in. I love the groove they've got in with just finding Baltimore in the middle of some mad situation on his way to chasing another Haigus sighting, so I would be okay if it was just always short stories but I really want him to catch him too haha. The beginning to Leskovar's Remedy is incredible in that regard, when he just appears out of the crashed plane, already mid adventure.

I haven't read the Baltimore novel, but I very well may give it a shot after I'm finished with The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay. So it's basically book ends for the comic? If I've understood you correctly, it deals with his origins, then there's a gap in time where the comics take place, and then it picks back up at some point when he catches up to Haigus? Intriguing...

Am I the only one that edits their posts 26 times over the course of the following 10 minutes?

Think I'm going to go ahead and drop She-Hulk. Just finished the latest issue; Wimberly's style is not my cup of tea, but more importantly Soule's writing isn't doing anything for me and these last two issues felt like a whole lotta nothing. If I keep buying it, I'd only be doing so for Pulido.

I was actually disappointed with the resolution of that storyline, but I think that was kind of the point. Seemed pretty real.

I just read this week's Elektra. That Del Mundo art... HHHNNNNGGGGGG

I still want Damian in Teen Titans. Along with Static. Basically i just want another Teen Titans reboot handled by competant storytellers.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the current Titans book goes. Pfeifer did pretty well with his Catwoman run following Brubaker's. I have to admit, Damian would be an awesome addition to the team, though.

But you know,
he's DEAD x_x

I disagree with a fair number of recent decisions, but they still get things right sometimes. The Bloodspell book was fun, for example.

Bloodspell was a fun book, definitely. But that's probably because they're seeing the potential of OGN's as opposed to simple collected editions. Same as Marvel. A lot of people don't buy trades because it's just the same stuff they've already read. OGN's are another chance to get people to drop the cost of a hardcover.

Zombine

Banned
HUH!?

I'm kidding. After Google image searching some of his other work, I can see he's done some things that I really like the look of. But anyone who thinks his She-Hulk work is anything other than shite is kidding themselves.

The Prince of Cats is amazing. Check it out.

prince-of-cats.jpg

Messi

Why must dc torture me by leaving the Terra miniseries out of print. It's not even on Comixology. I really want to read it :(

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Off topic, but if anyone's curious, here's one of my first attempts to draw something on my new drawing tablet.
I'm not under any delusions that it's super great or anything, but I'm pretty pleased with my improvement since those paint avatars I was making just a week ago were honestly the best I could do artistically (not an exaggeration).

And ON topic, I sold one of my camera lenses today, so I have even more reason to blow tons of money on comics!

iTunes is the only reasonable option right now, really. $60 is the lowest i've seen in print, online.

Yeah. I really wish it would get reprinted. Preferably in an OHC. It looks really great.

Off topic, but if anyone's curious, here's one of my first attempts to draw something on my new drawing tablet.
I'm not under any delusions that it's super great or anything, but I'm pretty pleased with my improvement since those paint avatars I was making just a week ago were honestly the best I could do artistically (not an exaggeration).

And ON topic, I sold one of my camera lenses today, so I have even more reason to blow tons of money on comics!

We should make a book together!

Messi

Yeah. I really wish it would get reprinted. Preferably in an OHC. It looks really great.

Your first attempt is Wimberleyesque.

Nice start.

Zombine

Banned

Can I be honest? No joking. You are on to something with that art, brother. It's incredibly distinct and could be used for some really special books.

Kipp

We should make a book together!

In all honesty, if any of you guys have a short (like somewhere around 5 pages) script you want me to try drawing, I'd love doing it just as a fun way to practice.

Your first attempt is Wimberleyesque.

Nice start.

Haha yeah. That occurred to me as I was doing it. I thought to myself "Maybe posting this on a page of Wimberly hate isn't the best idea..."
It's totally out necessity though. I have the shakiest hands of anyone alive and can't draw a smooth line to save my life. I figured I'd just roll with it.

Thanks though!

Can I be honest? No joking. You are on to something with that art, brother. It's incredibly distinct and could be used for some really special books.

Thank you so much! You don't even know how happy that made me. :D

In all honesty, if any of you guys have a short (like somewhere around 5 pages) script you want me to try drawing, I'd love doing it just as a fun way to practice.

Consider it done. I am leaving for vacation tomorrow but I think I'll work on it on the beach! It would be such a delight to collaborate with a gaffer, especially my MW comicgaf brah

Kipp

Consider it done. I am leaving for vacation tomorrow but I think I'll work on it on the beach! It would be such a delight to collaborate with a gaffer, especially my MW comicgaf brah

Awesome! I'm so looking forward to it!
If it turns out decent enough, I'll probably try my hand at coloring it too.

Have a great time on vacation, by the way!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom