• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

arkon

That'd be ideal, but I think the main issue with that is that barely anyone will participate if almost nobody has heard of it and thus doesn't own it.

I agree it's a difficult balance to maintain. That's just what I prefer in the ones I do participate in.

Sorting goes, Publisher>Height>Author>alphabetical

Like I have a whole shelf dedicated to Batman. They are all around the same size so author took the sorting priority.

I have a whole section of non-Batman DC. Alphabetical took sorting order there. It's my own chaotic system.

tumblr_n92q1y2Go41qes700o1_1280.jpg

Donie, I like your version of the alphabet. How does it work?

and what is the alphabetical order of these things my nigga

Hahaha fuck you guys. It's broken down by publisher very roughly I'll have you know, if I went up a shelf there's more vertigo. Then after publisher it's roughly by series and inside of that eg. Batman oldest to newest, unless something like batman noel comes along and fucks that all up with it's height. It's all fucked up though, I need to fix it. And fuck you guys ;)

What I really wanna see is the Mignola shelf (or more likely "shelves").

Haha, I can make that happen man! I don't think I can fit it all on one shelf for much longer though, that's going to be a heartbreaking moment :( Abe volume 4 and Sledgehammer are still on their way in the mail, otherwise here it is, all caught up to date, Mignolaverse + the baltimore books. Before anyone points out theyre not there, I think the only Hellboyverse stuff I have missing is the noncanon stuff, like weird tales and the crossover book, but that has been intentional so far:

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Wow.

Nate Bellegarde goes all in on why its his fault Nowhere Men is late:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1b4Y2v413ak6zPxLduZyJM0RW5Yq-41MMLOXJb7XTrzY/preview?sle=true

I haven't read Nowhere Men, but man, I feel so much empathy for that guy. I really hope he's able to get well quickly. Depression is misery.

Haha, I can make that happen man! I don't think I can fit it all on one shelf for much longer though, that's gonig to be a heartbreaking moment :( Abe volume 4 and Sledgehammer are still on their way in the mail, otherwise here it is, all caught up to date, Mignolaverse + the baltimore books. I think the only Hellboyverse stuff I have missing is the noncanon stuff:

Awesome! That is an impressive collection for sure!

Sanjuro

I'm heading to a new shop I've not been to shortly.

Any random recommendations for any complete stories or TPB released recently?

Awesome! That is an impressive collection for sure!

Haha cheers man. I figured the other day that once the other two show up, and if I counted the trades that live inside the 4 omnibuses, it would be something like 40 trades. I don't know if that's awesome or a sign of a problem.

I honestly try to organize my books by height.

I completely get that, and did that once upon a time.

Have any of you guys got an Xbox One btw/and will be on the destiny beta this week?

kd-z

Those look terrible.
Now that's a response I've never heard before! So smart, too.
I do apologize if you sense some sort of smugness in my posts, as they are meant as a humorous way of expressing my opinion.
Hey man, it's OK. Sorry if I was looking for an argument were there was none to be found if I came off that way.

Opinions and all that.
You don't get to decide what devalues a thread, nor set the parameters of what I can address in the form of discourse.
???
I think trolling devalues any thread unless it's one dedicated to trolling which I'm not sure is something that could actually exist. Some of your posts, to me, looked like trolling/being mean and I'd rather point fingers then be passive-aggresive about it with expressions like "some posters".

Jedeye Sniv said:
/five pages of Quitely fan fiction
Well, that's one way of summing up some actually quite interesting and thoughtful posts.

Anyway, comics impressions!

Ultimates 1 #7-13, Ultimates 2 #1-13
I don't know what to think. As I mentioned earlier, Ultimates: Super-Human cought me by surprise - I was expecting all the awful things I've heard about Millar's work and what I got was a combination of a story about some deeply wounded people and a blockbuster action movie with more violence and edginess. I thought all those one-liners, all the blood, sex and domestic violence complemented the character work really well and made the whole thing feel quite real.
But I didn't see a lot of that in the later issues. A lot of the characterization was very good, but the overall plot felt confused and too big for its own good.
Ultimates 2 felt... exactly the same way. The personal problems of all these people: the relationship between Janet and Cap and Janet and Hank, Bruce Banner bonding with Hank, Hank's self loathing - they all felt very real, grounded, sad and even moving. Steve Rogers feeling lost in the XXI century felt right (for THIS Captain America that is, definitely not for the 616 or Movieverse Cap) and the scene with him and Bucky on the porch was perfect.
Millar managed to make a lot of the more drastic scenes work, like the stuff at Hawkeye's house. Also, him using his own fingernails as projectile weapons was so awesome it didn't matter how stupid/juvenile it was.
Still, after the arc with the trial of the Hulk the story got too big for its own good, again. Maybe it's because I read both Ultimates 1 vol 2 and Ultimates 2 back-to-back, but USA getting invaded again and the Ultimates being caught with their pants down again felt samey.
There was some stuff I totally hated, though. Maybe it's because I've heard about it, but it's so apparent that Pietro and Wanda are screwing. It's gross, unnecessary and contradicts Quicksilver otherwise being a cool guy in this. Also, Wanda using his affection/love for her to make him fight someone and flirting with androids? What's up with that? Stuff like that really makes me feel like the Ultimate universe is just the regular Marvel universe, but everyone is a dick/bitch and also screwing their sisters/mothers/fathers/children/whoever. What the heck!
Quicksilver's and Scarlet Witch's characterization didn't work at all, come to think of it. They were constantly behaving like elitist, racist jerks and it just felt wrong. Especially since Pietro was a cool guy in every action scene.

Oh, action scenes! They looked good and were tense, but also kind of idiotic. The fight with the Hulk in Super-Human worked because it had a point and the heroes had a clear goal. Here they just punch stuff and make other stuff go blam or boom or wham. There is no direction and it seems like they don't have much agency.

Then there is the matter of political commentary. Some of it went over my head a little bit since in 2005 (when Ultimates 2 was being released) I was eleven and not really concious of what was happening in the world. Still, there were some good points and interesting ideas. It is always fun to see Captain America contrasted with heroes/villains representing other nations or ideologies, but the fight with the Russian guy in Ultimate Nightmare was much more powerful than the one with Colonel Some-Stereotipical-Arabic-Name.

Overall impression: disappointment. I can still see the things that made me love those first six issues of Ultimates, but now it's deeply hidden in questionable ethical choices (aliens causing World War II, oh come on!).

Oh, and I think Hitch's art was very inconsistent. Some of his facial expressions were perfect, some sucked. Bodywork was almost always at least very good, so were the spreads. Hawkeye's head looked weird. I think it could use a different inker or colorist because I really don't like the shiny look everything had.

And that's that. I hope this little write-up isn't too chaotic, I honestly didn't think my opinion through very well and just let my fingers loose on the keyobard ;)

Has anyone read the first issue of the new Teen Titans series? I did and probably will post impressions tomorrow (GMT+1 tomorrow that is ;)), but I'm curious what you guys thought. Feel free to point out if I missed the discussion about it and should go back a couple pages.

Owzers

that Guardians of the Galaxy appearance in Silver Surfer #4 was shameful as heck. Might as well have had Rocket just say " go see our movie on August 1st folks!" and run off. Would have been a decent issue without that garbage.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
So I finally started the second volume of Sin City, A Dame to Kill For. Already just one chapter in and I'm loving the story so much more than A Hard Goodbye. This is the Miller writing I love. Hopefully it just keeps getting better and better.

Also, Mike Maihack is at it again.

That's hilarious

samueeL

Banned
Been out on holiday and read new 52 Batman Dark Knight trades 1-2 and first Wonder-Woman. I don't know if I have shitty taste but I enjoyed Dark Knight trades a lot. Wonder-woman I did enjoy too and it got me interested enough to want to buy second trade but I don't get the hype 100℅ yet, tho points for actually having mythos instead of hack n slash.

At home there will be waiting Saga 1, Sex Criminals 1, Justice League of America 1 and Batman & Robin 1. Excited to dip in to those :) I had some questions but I forgot most of them but let's see: Justice League of American Vibe trade worth it? Also wanted to check out Katana since she'll be on Arrow S3 but found out it was written by Ann Nocenti. Being a good comic gaf puppy I guess I should avoid it? Hmm, what else was there...

that Guardians of the Galaxy appearance in Silver Surfer #4 was shameful as heck. Might as well have had Rocket just say " go see our movie on August 1st folks!" and run off. Would have been a decent issue without that garbage.

GOTG are just a marketing vessel right now for some reason. First arc was heavy on Iron Man, 2nd arc heavy on Angela, third arc all about Jean Grey.

Hopefully they stop making useless cameos in other books once the movie is out.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I'm from the UK, is there anywhere cheaper than Amazon for Batman Hush Complete Collection? Can be second-hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom