• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm interested to see how they tie Doomed up. I think it's been better than I'd feared but I'm still not 100% sure on the rules of it all and I'm not sure where it's going other then the inevitable cure around the corner. I think the best thing about it has been Wonder Woman's role, this is the first story where them being a couple actually makes it more interesting. But them being a couple is so weird still. Like, most of the time they're completely asexual. And then when they hint at sex it's all weird.

Anyway, Doomed. Yes. Can't say I'll be thinking about it in a year's time, but it's not been horrible.

I'm afraid it's just going to be a pointless story that has no ramifications on the DCU and adds nothing to the character. Geoff Johns runs Superman now. It's a summer popcorn flick.

Burnham's Damian was the best. He actually looks like a 10 year old.

My vote goes for Gleason's Damian.

tumblr_lt3tfab0bK1qjcq1co1_500.jpg

Owzers

that gleason pic....just lacks any of the facial potato personality that i have grown to love. It's like seeing a live action version of a cartoon or the 3d animation simpsons episode thing. Doesn't look right.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
My vote goes for Gleason's Damian.

tumblr_lt3tfab0bK1qjcq1co1_500.jpg

Ah man, this was one of the bits that made me think that Tomasi didn't get the character at all. While Morrison has him collecting a menagerie of Bat animals and going veggie, Tomasi's has him squashing bats and having the reader fear for Titus (who was a good addition, I'll give Tomasi that much). I think Damian was a psychopath, but just not that kind of psychopath.

edit: Moz even had to cover for him killing Nobody, it really didn't fit the character at that point in his arc IMO. At that point, he is all about trying to please Bruce and he knew that killing was not to be tolerated.

Moz even had to cover for him killing Nobody, it really didn't fit the character at that point in his arc IMO. At that point, he is all about trying to please Bruce and he knew that killing was not to be tolerated.

Nobody knew the secret to Bruce. He could have ruined him. Damian knew that his father would let himself be exposed rather than kill him, so he did what needed to be done, to protect his Father. Or at least what he felt needed to be done. Made perfect sense to me.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Ah man, this was one of the bits that made me think that Tomasi didn't get the character at all. While Morrison has him collecting a menagerie of Bat animals and going veggie, Tomasi's has him squashing bats and having the reader fear for Titus (who was a good addition, I'll give Tomasi that much). I think Damian was a psychopath, but just not that kind of psychopath.

edit: Moz even had to cover for him killing Nobody, it really didn't fit the character at that point in his arc IMO. At that point, he is all about trying to please Bruce and he knew that killing was not to be tolerated.
He toned down the more psychotic elements that he tried to push in the beginning of his and Gleason's run after the intial story arcs. I think Tomasi truly grasped the character and his raltionship with Bruce leading up to Robin RIP and after. The grieiving issues with the rotating characters interacting with Bruce are some damn powerful comics, and I'm glad he rode that emotional train instead of mentioning Robin's death once, and then saying 'fuck it, reset'. And it's not like Tomasi and Gleason are a one-note act with mining Bruce's grief, because the Batman and Two-Face storyline was surprisingly brutal, smart, and had some great character moments that just hammered in how much loss Tomasi's Bruce has seen, and how he could have ended up, like Dent.

Kikarian

What's everyone's go-to site for comic book release dates? I usually use pulllist.comixology.com but that always seems to have books turning up a week or so early. I'm looking for something where I can enter which titles I'm pulling like the site I've linked to, but with less error.
Comiclist

The main one I use.

Just started Chew.

Why have I waited so long to read this!? I absolutely lub it.
I'm going to be joining you!

arkon

Ok, let's get a book club schedule going.

Currently we are doing Batman Zero Year reread.

This upcoming weekend, BuddyJoe recommended The Wake.

Who would like to suggest a title for the following week?

Also, for outsiders who don't read Snyders Batman, how was all the post about the reread? Was it intrusive? Was it interesting? Too spoilery? Please let us know.

I didn't think it was an interesting choice so I skimmed through and over most of the posts about it. Batman gets enough airtime in these threads as it is. On top of that it's an arc that's been running for the past year and will be shortly coming to a close and has already had plenty of discussion in previous threads. Same with something like Saga. I prefer those book clubs that introduce me to something different and that I might not have otherwise tried rather than those things I'm acutely aware of.

Appreciated the art samples posted though.

Ah I dunno man. I was still kind of enjoying it but it was also becoming a bit of a slog. I enjoy it issue to issue but the overarching plot hasn't really satisfied me for a good while, and it feels like I've been waiting for it to get to *the point* for years now. I think I wrote before, but the series in general never lived up to the first 6 issues for me in the first place. I've always felt everything else was a notch down. So I just thought fuck it, I'll buy the hardcovers when it's all finished and I can sit and see the whole thing and how it pays off.

I just read Volume 8 this past weekend and I have to agree. It has started meandering a bit.

IrishNinja

Joe Quesada started his run on art duties with the next issue, which was the infamous Doc Samson analyzes X-Factor issue.

i dug most of Peter David's run last volume, but that's still one of the best X-Factor issues yet

Is Daredevil End Of Days good? Sick DD collectsch sale on CMX.

i dug it, but i was mostly happy just to see Bendis back on DD (some of his finest work in my opinion), it has its moments & so far i believe it's still canon, worth a read & i think it's one of the better "The End" books but still doesn't have a tremendous impact overall, if that's what you're looking for

uh...well, get that money, Gail. you deserve it.

Prepare for one of the best comic runs ever.

i really do gotta stop sleeping on that book one day

My jokes have moved on from Quitely to X-Men 100th Anniversary.

i read the inside cover & gave up, that doesn't happen very often

Just started Chew.

Why have I waited so long to read this!? I absolutely lub it.

wish i could get into this book, so many seem to love the crap out of it but i always quit a few issues in

kd-z

Oh man yes! The first few arcs were Warren Ellis and I think some Immonen(?) also great, but IMO the Millar/Land run is some of the best FF I've ever read. 12 issues, ideas so massive it feels like it's ghostwritten by Morrison, not even Land can ruin it. I think it fell apart with Carey because he was trying to squeeze so much Cosmic stuff in there that it all got very muddy and confused. But the start was great.

The Ultimate line is strange on that some of the character through lines are quite unclear, there's an Ultimate Doom trilogy that leads right into Hickman's Ultimates that really finishes up the FF story nicely.

Thanks! Put Ultimate FF on my list, will give it a read soon.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
ArtFX+ Damian.

Oh man. Is the price for this announced yet? I kinda want this (even though like the others said, the face isn't quite right).

I never pictured Damian's shirt to be that chromey, but I can imagine Moz being into that.

Yeah. Also not a fan of that.

Burnham's Damian was the best. He actually looks like a 10 year old.

Every time you bring up Burnham, I get completely re-hyped for Absolute Batman Inc. Can't wait to reread it in Absolute size.

Who would like to suggest a title for the following week?

Also, for outsiders who don't read Snyders Batman, how was all the post about the reread? Was it intrusive? Was it interesting? Too spoilery? Please let us know.

I don't read Snyder's Batman, but I plan to eventually. I really enjoyed seeing the posts about the reread, since it got me excited to read it eventually. It's hard to get excited to read something when all you know is that "it's great," but with the lists of specific things in specific issues, it made me look forward to reading it whenever I get the chance.
Also, I didn't feel spoiled at all. The only spoilers I saw mentioned were the common knowledge ones like Joker cutting his face off and all that jazz, so it wasn't a problem. And I didn't find the images spoilery either. I just glanced at them without reading the text and scrolled past and it wasn't an issue.

Regarding a title to read as a group, what about Nextwave or Fraction's Iron Fist? I have both of those sitting on my shelf that I haven't read yet and really ought to, and I feel like they're something most of the posters here own and would enjoy rereading.

I prefer those book clubs that introduce me to something different and that I might not have otherwise tried rather than those things I'm acutely aware of.

That'd be ideal, but I think the main issue with that is that barely anyone will participate if almost nobody has heard of it and thus doesn't own it.

art is shit though

You could very well be joking, but as someone who generally can't handle pre-2000s art too well, I actually liked the art in Animal Man. I liked the general simplicity of the linework and just found it pretty enjoyable to look at in general.

Also, thank you for saying what I was thinking (but much more eloquently) regarding the opinions/Quitely discussion. You're a top notch poster.

I just read Volume 8 this past weekend and I have to agree. It has started meandering a bit.

wish i could get into this book, so many seem to love the crap out of it but i always quit a few issues in

Interesting haha, took awhile but I see some of you agree. While I made it much further than the first few issues of course, I always thought the first storyline set such a high bar and I always preferred it to everything that came after.

Of course this is all relative. Living in a world where I can say I am reading so many high quality books/have so many high quality books I need to make space for, that I can drop Chew and just casually catch up with it when it's over, it really shows how things have changed. When Chew first hit the stands, I thought it was untouchable. There's more choice than ever though and combined with a lot more of my tastes being regularly catered now, I look at the book in a different context. Still like it in general though, and I'll be excited when I know I can sit down and see how it plays out.

Rarely in comics do I see faces that convey so much emotion and meaning. I don't know how you can look at Lex's face and say it's badly drawn.

Those look terrible.

It's just tiring seeing people like Tragicomedy come here once in a while (I'm pretty sure he doesn't post in this thread very often and it feels like everytime he does he takes a stab at our Quitely-loving hearts :( ) and be all smug like "ha, the art you love sucks!"

I post in this thread (and previous iterations) quite frequently, and 95.7% of my posts have nothing to do with Frank "The Hack" Quitely. I do apologize if you sense some sort of smugness in my posts, as they are meant as a humorous way of expressing my opinion. I couldn't care less if you thought Frank Quitely was the second coming of Jesus Christ. Opinions and all that.

But then you have people just trolling and devaluing (I'm still looking at you, Tragicomedy!) the thread and that's not nice at all.

You don't get to decide what devalues a thread, nor set the parameters of what I can address in the form of discourse. Sorry to burst your bubble.

/five pages of Quitely fan fiction

You are way too emotionally attached to the work of an artist who doesn't know you exist and never will. The fact that you become angry and personally offended when someone criticizes Quitely's work speaks volumes about your ability to engage in a discussion with people who have a different opinion than yours. Everything you post on the subject comes across like one of those "Why don't you like the things I like?!?" memes.

It's particularly hypocritical when you turn around and post stuff like this:

art is shit though

This is either brilliant trolling or grade-A hypocrisy. I don't know if I should applaud you or boo you.

I can have the opinion that Frank's art is good, and still get a good laugh out of that potato head picture that Tragiccomedy posted. I mean, c'mon! It was a bunch of potato heads dressed as comic heroes, it was funny.

I know I've said it before, but the single best thing about comics in my opinion, is that there is literally something for everyone. We don't all have to like the same thing, which is apparent by this thread, but it's those differing opinions that may make someone new interested in that topic of discussion.

I love our community here, I don't have anyone on ignore, and I really have a lot of you to thank for introducing me to some of my favorite things in this industry.

You nailed it. Cheska for Comics GAF president.

Jedeye is always getting too emotionally involved in this stuff. You too old to be going in like that, man.

A lot people have shit taste in comic books. A lot of people have shit taste in everything. Unless you want to put most of the world on ignore, who gives a rats ass if they non-ironically buy and enjoy Court of Owls and Y the Last Man. Talk about what you like and fuck what anybody else thinks about it.

Jedeye is always getting too emotionally involved in this stuff. You too old to be going in like that, man.

A lot people have shit taste in comic books. A lot of people have shit taste in everything. Unless you want to put most of the world on ignore, who gives a rats ass if they non-ironically buy and enjoy Court of Owls and Y the Last Man. Talk about what you like and fuck what anybody else thinks about it.

To quote a movie.

42065d3412380f4a0869b7609c6fa02bb53bbfe59ab04af1bdabe40c940750fb.jpg

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
You could very well be joking, but as someone who generally can't handle pre-2000s art too well, I actually liked the art in Animal Man. I liked the general simplicity of the linework and just found it pretty enjoyable to look at in general.

Also, thank you for saying what I was thinking (but much more eloquently) regarding the opinions/Quitely discussion. You're a top notch poster.

Nah I was only kidding. Not using punctuation is my code for 'tongue in my cheek', I learned it from Chinner. But I forgot to put in a spelling mistake.

Yeah man I know this. One of my old internet names was "The Exploding Boy", I can't help it I'm just prone to hyperbole and run on sentences.

Zombine

Banned

He did have a couple good points though. Art is subjective, and I think that people should be courteous of what other people enjoy. Even when I have shit to say about a book like Saga I always try to include some positivity in there. But on the other side of things, I'm not mister serious either. As much as I think Quitely is a wonderful artists, the crotch bulges make me giggle.

I do think we have to work on our material though, because even I am bored of Quitely jokes.

*looks at shelf*............wait

ReiGun

Awful lot of text on this page. Wonder what's got y'all turnt up...

*crtl+f Quitely*

...Damn it, you guys.

On topic, my books are organized by run and series/character. From there...eh. I find everything alright at least.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
True story, I have like no more room for books. I have one shelf left then I'm fucked.

I'm starting to get to that point. My measly two shelf (shelves about a meter wide) bookshelf just isn't gonna cut it.

And I've only been reading comics for about a year now. Yeesh.

Whew, thought I was the only one.

I definitely have one shelf for oversized hardcovers and one shelf for TPBs/standard-size hardcovers. It's the only way to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom