• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| July 2017 | Princess, I've Seen the Way You Look At Me.

So it fits right in with the rest of Kings Batman. At least he is consistent.

I've been a fan of his run for the most part. This issue is a whole other level of boring. Batman basically recites pointless names of victims throughout the issue seemingly for no reason, sometimes being repeated in voiceover and dialogue. Both Joker and Riddler acting out of character for the sheer reason just to have a "war". It all just seems dumb.

I'm kind of coming down pretty hard on Kings Batman and oddly the Swamp Thing issue is what started it and that's an issue most other love.

error4041

Just ordered my Hickman Avengers omnibus. now too wait for them to release vol. 2

Amazon Fishes!

Infinity Gauntlet Slipcase for only 326€!
https://www.amazon.de/dp/1302909185/

Daredevil: Shadowland Omnibus
https://www.amazon.de/dp/130291037X/

Daredevil by Waid & Samnee Omnibus Vol. 2
https://www.amazon.de/dp/1302908987/

Avengers Academy Complete Collection
https://www.amazon.de/dp/1302909460/

Invincible Iron Man by Bendis OHC
https://www.amazon.de/dp/1302904485/

Moon Knight by Bendis Complete Collection
https://www.amazon.de/dp/1302909991/

And like 500 Deadpool Omnibuses... Omnibusi... Omni, eh, you should have got it.
If Invincible Iron Man is getting a OHC release, I hope that means Infamous Iron will get one sometime late next year or something.

I've been a fan of his run for the most part. This issue is a whole other level of boring. Batman basically recites pointless names of victims throughout the issue seemingly for no reason, sometimes being repeated in voiceover and dialogue. Both Joker and Riddler acting out of character for the sheer reason just to have a "war". It all just seems dumb.

I'm kind of coming down pretty hard on Kings Batman and oddly the Swamp Thing issue is what started it and that's an issue most other love.

That issue was a masterpiece.

Shit maybe you guys are gonna hate Guardians #5. I also forgot how bone zone y'all are for that Abnett era shit.

Pachimari

What are these OHM and omnibus releases? Do people usually wait for a series to be collected in a volume and then buy the physical version of said collection?

What are these OHM and omnibus releases? Do people usually wait for a series to be collected in a volume and then buy the physical version of said collection?

That's what I do for 99% of my comic purchases. (Though I would have already read them on MU or at the library by that point).

Aizo

Banned
All of that stuff is dependent on what magazine the story is in, and an anime adaptation inflating sales.
These are volume sales in a six month period. They fluctuate for sure, but not drastically. The monthly and weekly are the ones that are irrelevant for seeing what's popular right now. I'm not sure what you're saying about the magazines. A popular series sells regardless of its magazine. Yeah, you're not going to see a top 10 seller from Garden, Harta, or Young Animal (this was a Japanese comic magazine long before it was a DC imprint), but there are plenty of series that sell in the top 10 or 20 that aren't in Jump. Shueisha publishes most of the popular stuff, though.

We don't deserve comics.

Swamp Things dad is killed while living in a skyscraper just because he has some inside look into the supernatural.
Batman is lulled into complacency and made to look stupid but a reincarnation poem.
Batman does nothing and looked like a scorned lover as Swamp kills a dude and just nopes out of there.
Batman reveals at the end that he knew the MO of the killer the whole time and knew who it likely was but instead of going to the guy and questioning him at the outset he hunts down Kite man for his forced cameo and another cool scene and then the pawn shop just to confirm his thoughts.

The issue is a stupid story that's all just in service of delivering fan service and cool scenes. It's just dumb. If it didn't feature Swamp Thing and Alan Moore people wouldn't give a shit.

It's like the entire story was just worked backward. I need Swamp Thing and Batman together so let it be a death. Let's make it Swamp Things father and be Alan Moore. Oh and I want a Kite man scene let's have him be in a skyscraper that only Kite man could possibly get to. It's like the pieces were laid out and then King just forced the pieces together.

Ross61

Swamp Things dad is killed while living in a skyscraper just because he has some inside look into the supernatural.
Batman is lulled into complacency and made to look stupid but a reincarnation poem.
Batman does nothing and looked like a scorned lover as Swamp kills a dude and just nopes out of there.
Batman reveals at the end that he knew the MO of the killer the whole time and knew who it likely was but instead of going to the guy and questioning him at the outset he hunts down Kite man for his forced cameo and another cool scene and then the pawn shop just to confirm his thoughts.

The issue is a stupid story that's all just in service of delivering fan service and cool scenes. It's just dumb. If it didn't feature Swamp Thing and Alan Moore people wouldn't give a shit.

We don't deserve comics.

We do. They don't.

Please tell me what makes it good comics. Please. I'm completely open to hearing what makes it a good story or good comic. All I'm basically seeing is what equates to 'I don't get it'.

That's why I think it's love is due to nothing more than the fan service because I haven't seen anything actually said about what is good about it.

Please tell me what makes it good comics. Please. I'm completely open to hearing what makes it a good story or good comic. All I'm basically seeing is what equates to 'I don't get it'.

That's why I think it's love is due to nothing more than the fan service because I haven't seen anything actually said about what is good about it.

It was a comic that came out in the middle of May. If you want a detailed counter argument you gotta give people sometime to reread it.

Bii

So it fits right in with the rest of Kings Batman. At least he is consistent.

You're goddamned right! People in here singing praises about King's Batman and I'm all like...

giphy.gif

You're goddamned right! People in here singing praises about King's Batman and I'm all like...

Everyone was shitting on Batman until 23 and that seemingly turned everything around. The funny thing is that issue was originally supposed to come out in place of Rooftops pt 2 and they were supposed to be combined in some way going by the solicit. But then it was either cancelled or pulled back to flesh out.

Bii

Everyone was shitting on Batman until 23 and that seemingly turned everything around. The funny thing is that issue was originally supposed to come out in place of Rooftops pt 2 and they were supposed to be combined in some way going by the solicit. But then it was either cancelled or pulled back to flesh out.

Bolded is untrue. Not sure what you mean by everyone but there were a number of posters (I want to say more than a majority who commented) in these monthly threads where they liked King's Batman. A few even said it was better than Snyder's run. And those comments were made before #23.

Bolded is untrue. Not sure what you mean by everyone but there were a number of posters (I want to say more than a majority who commented) in these monthly threads where they liked King's Batman. A few even said it was better than Snyder's run. And those comments were made before #23.

Sorry not specifically everyone. But I'd say by and large more were down on it or had dropped it than were saying they liked it. Even going by reviews and podcasts the views around the run had been pretty low early on. It just seemed like 23 all of a sudden had people coming out of the woodwork saying it should win awards and is perfect. The tone completely shifted.

Messi

I wonder why Snyder and King both have barely used Harley but both are using joker. Snyder had her for like one issue and none from king. I really want to see someone like that write her :(

I wonder why Snyder and King both have barely used Harley but both are using joker. Snyder had her for like one issue and none from king. I really want to see someone like that write her :(

Possibly some kind of fear on the part of DC to shift or lose some of the fandom around her? She's got Suicide squad and her own book and more an anti-hero than some kind of focus for a Batman story. I'm just happy to have a perfect Harley in Injustice.

Why didn't peter do superman 26 did I miss something ?
Dunno, but I wouldn't be surprised if their run was over. 25 was very much a capstone to their entire run. Damn near every plot thread tied up
Because she's a bad character #hottakes #fuckifiknow

I like the run overall but even I felt that #23 wasn't good. I am Gotham, I am Suicide, and I Am Bane I felt were all solid runs. Now better than Snyder is a no fucking way thing cause Snyder easily had my fave Batman run ever, but King's is interesting in that it's a lot slower.

They have taste obviously.

I wish Harley had shown up in End Game in some capacity cause Snyder handling her would have been cool.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I've only read up to volume 2 of King's Batman but that's definitely much better than Snyder's later arcs. I Am Suicide is pretty spectacular, I was so impressed with it that I had to check out his Vision run.

Bii

I've only read up to volume 2 of King's Batman but that's definitely much better than Snyder's later arcs. I Am Suicide is pretty spectacular, I was so impressed with it that I had to check out his Vision run.

I actually went out of my way to read his Vision run because I didn't see the hype a few had for his Batman. Vision is damn good but I'm assuming readers were running high off of his Vision that they didn't see how generic/boring his Batman was.

I'm starting to feel more and more like King is writing Batman almost as if he just continues to write Vision. He writes it as some stoic emotionless person that is trying to grasp being human while also being a super hero.

Ross61

I actually went out of my way to read his Vision run because I didn't see the hype a few had for his Batman. Vision is damn good but I'm assuming readers were running high off of his Vision that they didn't see how generic/boring his Batman was.
Or they just genuinely like it. Like me.

Deathstroke #11 still one of my favorite single issues this year.

I'm starting to feel more and more like King is writing Batman almost as if he just continues to write Vision. He writes it as some stoic emotionless person that is trying to grasp being human while also being a super hero.
He's stoic but very very far from emotionless. Like the entire I Am Suicide arc was about Batman's emotions. Or the scene with the plane in the first issue.

This is a really weird take.

On quality, I am Gotham was weak but since then its just been strength to strength for me.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
He's stoic but very very far from emotionless. Like the entire I Am Suicide arc was about Batman's emotions. Or the scene with the plane in the first issue.

On quality, I am Gotham was weak but since then its just been strength to strength for me.
Yeah, I don't agree with him being emotionless, like you said, I Am Suicide was all about
how much he cared about Catwoman.

That last issue in that arc is especially emotional and honestly really beautiful. Got me chocked up a bit.

Shadowland omnibus...eww.

Yeah, that one boggles me. I don't think i've *ever* seen a positive review of Shadowland. There's so much other stuff out there that deserves to get collected, and they do a hardcover reprint of *that*? Is it a "get everything we've got ready to go with Daredevil back on the shelf in time for the Defenders show" or something? Kind of like how they are reprinting all the big Thor Ominbi before the new movie hits?

Speaking of which, If anyone doesn't own the Walt Simonson Thor Omnibus, I'm not sure I can recommend that highly enough, and it's being reprinted prior to the movie.

I said that kind of wrong. He's not emotionless. It's more like he's just trying to come to terms with his emotions. I am Suicide was mostly about his emotions growing up and him coming to grips with them and putting them to use. Rooftops and #24 are kind of him coming to the realization he's allowed to have them.

He's not really emotionless but it's like he's slowly letting them develop or have more of a hold on him. It just reminds me a lot of the focus of Vision.

To be clear I've actually been a fan of Kings run. I just feel Kings pattern and writing style for Batman is kind of getting tiring for me.

Yeah, that one boggles me. I don't think i've *ever* seen a positive review of Shadowland. There's so much other stuff out there that deserves to get collected, and they do a hardcover reprint of *that*? Is it a "get everything we've got ready to go with Daredevil back on the shelf in time for the Defenders show" or something? Kind of like how they are reprinting all the big Thor Ominbi before the new movie hits?

Speaking of which, If anyone doesn't own the Walt Simonson Thor Omnibus, I'm not sure I can recommend that highly enough, and it's being reprinted prior to the movie.
Probably that.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The Defender is going to be based on it.
And yes, it was shit, but people say the same about Civil War and that turned out to be a good movie, too.

Top Bottom