• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2013. Nothing can stop the Juggernaut! ...except E3 BREAKING NEWS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Wait, Luke Cage isn't Power Man? There's somebody else names Power Man now?

Ya, Luke Cage is just Luke Cage now.

The new Powerman:

1223968-power_man_01_02.jpg

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
It's a bit clumsy at first, but the last 6 or so issues are the best thing DC have published in ages.

With ish 13 being one of the most stellar comics I've read in a long time. The fact that you could feel that a guy with a window on his head and a curtain as a cape is a hero and that you could seriously feel for him is a testament to the strength of the story.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/06/06/that-superman-unchained-four-way-foldout-poster-by-jim-lee-and-scott-snyder-in-full/

I don't criticize art too often, but why would you waste a 4 page foldout on....that? Well, one of the sides is sort of nice at least, but the close up of superman pulling wires doesn't seem to warrant a big deal being made out of it.

With all the talk about this foldout being used to show an immense villain or something, I'm very surprised that Superman himself takes up a full half of it. I was expecting him to be small in relation to some kind of gigantic force, with the huge foldout still allowing Superman to be detailed and distinct. Weird.

God, the art in Avengers is so beautiful, Mike Deodato just continues to amaze me.

Which Avengers book are we talking about? Just the vanilla Avengers one?

Also, read Age of Ultron #9. Meh. I feel sorry for the people who are waiting for the hardcover. It's like you'll be paying $75 for Bendis to shit in your mouth. :p

Acid08

Banned
East of West 3 was great. Loving this series. It's moving at an up tempo MP pace and not an Avengers crawling pace. I get what people say about the cold writing but I think it fits this series. The characters are all very cold, grim, and aloof. The regular humans he writes show enough emotion to be believable.

Superior Spidey 11 was good. Should be a fun arc but I feel like we're just killing time until 2099.

kswiston

East of West 3 was great. Loving this series. It's moving at an up tempo MP pace and not an Avengers crawling pace. I get what people say about the cold writing but I think it fits this series. The characters are all very cold, grim, and aloof. The regular humans he writes show enough emotion to be believable.

Typically I roll my eyes when books I read become involved in big crossovers, but I am actually quite excited for Avengers to start its Infinity tie-in phase, if only so that the central plot can start moving at a little quicker of a pace.

Superior Spidey 11 was good. Should be a fun arc but I feel like we're just killing time until 2099

That's why I'm skipping it :p .

Which Avengers book are we talking about? Just the vanilla Avengers one?

Also, read Age of Ultron #9. Meh. I feel sorry for the people who are waiting for the hardcover. It's like you'll be paying $75 for Bendis to shit in your mouth. :p

Just the current regular Marvel Now run, most recent being issue 13.

kswiston

How is this?

As is the case with all 60s superhero comics, you can't go in expecting anything similar to modern books. If you are completely fine with the goofy dialogue, cheesy story lines and tons of exposition, than it's a nice little history lesson with sweet Kirby art.

I just looked at the preview for WatXM for next week and I can't believe what they've done to Mystique. Sociopath super spy turned school teacher. sigh.

These first few issues of Dial H are a pain to read. Feel like im reading something and I missed something earlier when I didnt. When does it get better?

Wool

Was at Barnes & Noble today and flipped through Batwoman Volume 1. Man, the art is great in that.

Also, this is pretty cool:

frZZGmv.jpg

As is the case with all 60s superhero comics, you can't go in expecting anything similar to modern books. If you are completely fine with the goofy dialogue, cheesy story lines and tons of exposition, than it's a nice little history lesson with sweet Kirby art.

Even going in with those expectations, it's on the lower end of Marvel silver age. Doesn't compare to Spider-Man or Fantastic Four.

Older than you, I'd wager. But the one I'm talking about isn't as old as you're probably thinking. This one started airing in 1992, I think.

I dont remember Mystique being a teacher in that one. She was a teacher in the X-Men Evolution series though which is why I asked how old you were.

kswiston

This shit is why time travel is fucked.

It didn't even make sense. Wolverine is going to "kill time" if he keeps time travelling, but over in Uncanny Avengers Kang is time hopping all over the place. Same with the Fantastic Four in their book.

Maybe next issue, Angela will be introduced as part of the Angelic Time Police.

Blader

This shit is why time travel is fucked.

It's just excruciatingly clear now that Bendis only had two ideas for this story and is stretching them as thinly as possible so that they can connect and last over 10 issues.

Also, the ending for DD: End of Days was stupid, which is doubly disappointing because I actually thought the beginning of this mini was the best he'd written in years.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It didn't even make sense. Wolverine is going to "kill time" if he keeps time travelling, but over in Uncanny Avengers Kang is time hopping all over the place. Same with the Fantastic Four in their book.

Maybe next issue, Angela will be introduced as part of the Angelic Time Police.

Dear god I completely forgot that this was happening next issue. How the hell is that going to fit in?

On that note the warning makes sense, the Marvel books have been messing with time a lot since NOW started. I fully expect that to be some sort of big event in the future, the Avengers trying to fix time or whatever.

It's just excruciatingly clear now that Bendis only had two ideas for this story and is stretching them as thinly as possible so that they can connect and last over 10 issues.

Also, the ending for DD: End of Days was stupid, which is doubly disappointing because I actually thought the beginning of this mini was the best he'd written in years.

Agreed. They should have just done it in three or four issues and just been done with it. It didn't need to be a huge event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom