• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2013. Nothing can stop the Juggernaut! ...except E3 BREAKING NEWS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

Can someone fill me in as to the ending reveal of Avengers #12 pertaining to:
What has the high evolutionary been up to? I know little about this guy, what does the reveal that he is abducting those kids supposed to imply?

Can someone fill me in as to the ending reveal of Avengers #12 pertaining to:
What has the high evolutionary been up to? I know little about this guy, what does the reveal that he is abducting those kids supposed to imply?

Read avengers 13 for your answer

Basically the kids are some sort of life battery and can power dead things.

Owzers

*waits for dcbs shipment*

I liked New Avengers #6 and Avengers #11,12, Hickman's avengers reads like a tv show complete with the "previously in" front page and there is a sense of forward progression that people have been talking about regarding Hickman plotting out his stories. Hickman is a builder.

Splatt

I thought Avengers 12 & 13 weren't up to Hicks standard and then I saw Spencer's name on the cover. Everything became clear.

kswiston

*waits for dcbs shipment*

I liked New Avengers #6 and Avengers #11,12, Hickman's avengers reads like a tv show complete with the "previously in" front page and there is a sense of forward progression that people have been talking about regarding Hickman plotting out his stories. Hickman is a builder.

This is why I am somewhat hopeful for Infinity. If you look at the art-only preview pages that have been released for Infinity #1, it's pretty clear that the book is continuing events that have been taking place in the regular Avengers series. If Marvel is dead set on pumping out events, I would rather have them be logical extensions of preexisting storylines rather than something like Age of Ultron which has nothing to do with anything that is going on in the Marvel U.

Vibranium

Banned
Avengers and New Avengers are really hard for me to get into because of the "universe focus", but I'm enjoying them for what they are. Hopefully the payoff Hickman promised is worth it.

kswiston

Avengers and New Avengers are really hard for me to get into because of the "universe focus", but I'm enjoying them for what they are. Hopefully the payoff Hickman promised is worth it.

I think New Avengers has been pretty straight forward so far. Avengers sort of goes all over the place in terms of plot focus, but New Avengers has been a single coherent story.

Vibranium

Banned
I think New Avengers has been pretty straight forward so far. Avengers sort of goes all over the place in terms of plot focus, but New Avengers has been a single coherent story.

I guess you're right about that, I just have an easier time reading solo books than team ones because of the tighter focus.

Owzers

read Infinity #1 FCBD, if Hickman is trying to get people hyped for the event, i don't see how this was a success. It reads like you're only seeing every other word in a sentence and it's not enjoyable in the slightest. There's Thanos, an assassin, and thanos' underling.
The underling learns there is something going on in a planet they once conquered, goes there and brings back a box of heads as a tribute. The assassin gets sent to finish his one mission, which is to earth...to....jump on the back of a shield agent? Inhabit his body? Lurk above the avengers? Twist off his head? For what?
I get being vague with plot points, but this is the prelude to an event and i presume that wanting people to be excited also should involve people actually knowing what's going on.

This issues' content has no context, it just exists.

The Overwhelming Avengers

comicbookresources.com look at the dilution of the Avenger's name.

As someone outside looking in I can't comment as much. Or maybe I can? I commented earlier but it is fast becoming easier to tell who isn't an Avenger than who is. New Avengers are actually the Illuminati, right? So why aren't they called that? Avenger's Arena isn't just Young Avengers but also Runaways etc? Certainly makes you wonder how far Marvel will go with the Avenger name. And how willing Marvel readers will be to read anything with Avenger's in the title.

Andre Sorrentino is killing it on Green Arrow.

Yes, yes he is.

I feel like each avengers title offers something different

Avengers/ new- Hickman doing his thing

Avengers arena- hunger games

Avengers assemble- continuity free stories

Also DC is just as guilty with its justice league name as of late

frye

Eh, the idea that the Avengers aren't this specific group anymore feels like it's being made way too late - the moment Bendis added Spider-Man and Wolverine to the roster meant that you were an Avenger if you called yourself an Avenger, full stop. It's got cachet now, so you might as well monetize the fuck out of it to support books that would normally be canceled. It's not a big deal unless you have to read every Avengers book but who the fuck cares about those people.

kswiston

As someone outside looking in I can't comment as much. Or maybe I can? I commented earlier but it is fast becoming easier to tell who isn't an Avenger than who is. New Avengers are actually the Illuminati, right? So why aren't they called that? Avenger's Arena isn't just Young Avengers but also Runaways etc? Certainly makes you wonder how far Marvel will go with the Avenger name. And how willing Marvel readers will be to read anything with Avenger's in the title.

I'm fine with New Avengers keeping the title it has, even if the cast is basically the Illuminati. The line up is Iron Man, Beast, Black Panther, Mr Fantastic, Dr Strange, Black Bolt, and Namor. Other than Mr Fantastic and Black Bolt, all of those characters have had runs on the main Avengers, most pre-Bendis (not sure about Dr Strange). It also ties into the regular Avengers title.

Uncanny Avengers strikes me as a somewhat temporary thing, sort of like Dark Avengers (which was the most popular Avengers title for a bit). Whenever Remender finishes telling the story he wants to tell, I think the book will be quietly shuffled out of the spotlight.

Secret Avengers is sort of redundant with the addition of Uncanny Avengers. I think that will be the book to die of attrition in the next year or so.

Avengers Assemble is the title that was supposed to appeal to fans of the film, but again, this book runs the risk of dying from attrition, especially with Mighty Avengers launching.

Avengers Arena probably didn't need to have Avengers in the title (other than for sales). Some of the characters were from Avengers Academy, but that's about it. The Young Avengers team is 7-8 years old by this point. Both of these books won't last in the long term.

The X-Men line is just as overstuffed, but at least the teams get different names, (X-Men, X-Force, X-Factor, New Mutants, Excalibur, etc).

A chilling vision of the future

Or is it....the present?

They changed Thunderbolts to Dark Avengers, they still gettin' cancelled

Oh god Fury Max's sales are so low, fuck each and every one of ya'll for not buying it

kswiston

They changed Thunderbolts to Dark Avengers, they still gettin' cancelled

Oh god Fury Max's sales are so low, fuck each and every one of ya'll for not buying it

Well, when Marvel relaunches almost their entire line, but Dark Avengers is left at issue 180 or whatever, it shows you how much confidence they had in the project. Way/Dillon Thunderbolts is doing alright despite being the poorer book.

frye

Well, when Marvel relaunches almost their entire line, but Dark Avengers is left at issue 180 or whatever, it shows you how much confidence they had in the project. Way/Dillon Thunderbolts is doing alright despite being the poorer book.

Same with JiM, Red She-Hulk, and Captain Marvel.

oh shit...

also, dang jeff parker got boned with the relaunch. Stuck with two unenumbered books that were tanking.

That'll teach Marvel to put out good comics with female leads

Hope Valerio Schiti/Jordie Bellaire lands somewhere cool, like Mighty Avengers or some shit. The striking difference in character expressions compared to Land would be worth the price tag alone.

kswiston

Same with JiM, Red She-Hulk, and Captain Marvel.

oh shit...

also, dang jeff parker got boned with the relaunch. Stuck with two unenumbered books that were tanking.

Red She Hulk is gone. Don't have much hope for the other two. Captain Marvel at least was a fairly recent title when Marvel Now started, like Hawkeye and Gambit.

Acid08

Banned
Anyone playing Animal Crossing or have a 3DS in general? Add me!

1478-3803-6229

Let me know so I can add you back!

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Editorial mandated Parker had his characters play outside the playing box of the regular Marvel U and I really didn't care for the lost in timestream/world x adventures.

FYC

Banned
Grill of Thrones

archiecomics_2267_3931669

I need this poster

Just finished off Legion Archives Volume 3. Starting Archives Volume 4.

THE INTRODUCTION OF THE FLIGHT RING. BRAINIAC 5's FABULOUS COMPUTER MIND.
ogOKAft.png

I wonder if all Legion rejects who were given a Flight Belt as a consolation prize got a Flight Ring sent to them as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom