• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2013. Nothing can stop the Juggernaut! ...except E3 BREAKING NEWS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vibranium

Banned
Looking at the top 100 for May, you people need to buy more Cap, Daredevil and Hawkeye. Buy!!! BUY!!!!!!!

I'm doing my part (all are incredible), as are a lot of people in this thread. Also, when it gets relaunched as a part of Marvel NOW wave 2 everyone needs to support Winter Soldier 2.0 in return.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Because consciously making the decision to do a story set in the past so it doesn't get caught up in a ridiculous, worthless crossover and going around talking about how Zero Year isn't going to spill into other books - a return to his work with Jock and Francavilla on Black Mirror is how he described it in interviews - and then going back on that now by saying that it's a collective decision from the writers of the other books to stop their stories and tie-in into to an origin story fucking reeks of editorial bullshit. And while you can say that it is editorial bullshit, he's completely complicit in it.

I can see why he's doing it, but it's pretty gross how transparent it all is.

Why are you being so dumb about this? You're blaming Snyder for other writers and editors wanting to tag along. These aren't his characters, he can't say no. He has no authority.

Obviously at one time there were no tie-ins planned, but later on either editorial demanded those books do tie-ins or those writers wanted to do tie-ins, either because they had some creative idea or they wanted to help their books sales-wise.

It's not Snyder's fault. Bitching about him being "complicit" is just juvenile. What are his options? Only write stories that somehow preclude any possibility of other books from interacting with the stories, or have a fight with DC about? Unless there's evidence that DC editorial is making him change his story to facilitate or require tie-ins and Snyder's embraced that, I don't see why you'd paint him as the problem here.

Because consciously making the decision to do a story set in the past so it doesn't get caught up in a ridiculous, worthless crossover and going around talking about how Zero Year isn't going to spill into other books - a return to his work with Jock and Francavilla on Black Mirror is how he described it in interviews - and then going back on that now by saying that it's a collective decision from the writers of the other books to stop their stories and tie-in into to an origin story fucking reeks of editorial bullshit. And while you can say that it is editorial bullshit, he's completely complicit in it.

I can see why he's doing it, but it's pretty gross how transparent it all is.

Hrm. So, what makes you think he specifically choose to do Zero Year, so it (Batman) "doesn't get caught up in a ridiculous, worthless crossover"? Has he gone on record as saying that? That Trinity War is a "ridiculous, worthless crossover" and that he specifically wants to avoid it?

And lets presume, for the moment, that he intended it to be a stand alone story without any crossovers. Can he not change his mind? Can DC editorial not change it's mandate (to which he'd obviously have agreed if that were the case), or it was mutual because other writers were inspired for stories set during that time? But because of your perception of how he had framed it, I guess?, it can never change?

In case you weren't aware, shared universes are works of collaboration. They cannot and will not stand on their own due to their very nature.

I can say, as a comic reader, I'm delighted by the potential for stories set during that time period for the other Bat characters. A look at the past of the New 52 (same reason I enjoyed Team 7 before it was canceled).

Oh, and here; Snyder on Batman Year Zero Tie Ins

“I was writing it as a singular story and some of other writers asked with the Bat-characters in particular, if they might be able to show where their characters were during this kind of seminal moment in the story, when Gotham is at a very dangerous moment,” Snyder told Parallel Worlds.

“And so I said, ‘Look, if you guys want to do it, you know, we’re all friends, I’m not gonna say no,’” he said. “So there will be some tie-ins with some of the books you would expect.

“I’m really, really happy that they wanted to do it just because we are really close, all of us working on the Batbooks and it’s fun when they say ‘We’d like to tie in and show where our characters are’ … I’ll never say no to that when they ask.

DC Comics won’t say which titles will be involved just yet, but it doesn’t take a genius to guess that we’ll be seeing the likes of “Nightwing”(Dick Grayson), “Batgirl” (Barbara Gordon), “Teen Titans” (Red Robin/Tim Drake) and “Red Hood and the Outlaws” (Jason Todd) involved.

“This is an opportunity for them to show where their character is … and to give you a secret moment from the history of that character that you might not have seen before,” Snyder said.

DC September Solicits are out.

Forever Evil #1 of 7: Don't bother buying Trinity War.

???

frye

Why are you being so dumb about this? You're blaming Snyder for other writers and editors wanting to tag along. These aren't his characters, he can't say no. He has no authority.

Obviously at one time there were no tie-ins planned, but later on either editorial demanded those books do tie-ins or those writers wanted to do tie-ins, either because they had some creative idea or they wanted to help their books sales-wise.

It's not Snyder's fault. Bitching about him being "complicit" is just juvenile. What are his options? Only write stories that somehow preclude any possibility of other books from interacting with the stories, or have a fight with DC about? Unless there's evidence that DC editorial is making him change his story to facilitate or require tie-ins and Snyder's embraced that, I don't see why you'd paint him as the problem here.

Like I said, I get why he feels like he might have an obligation to shill for this. He's grateful to DC and it is his full-time job. No, it isn't his fault (I don't care about those other comics anyways so it's honestly no skin off my back) and it probably won't affect his story that much. But he comes off as a total stooge in that NY Post article. It's an editorial-driven decision and they're trying to legitimate it by having their lead writer talk about how it's a writer-driven decision.

I do like Snyder (he seems like a p. cool dude!) but that kind of shit makes my skin crawl.

minor annoyance that comes from event stacking, solicits/DC tend to show their hand towards the outcome of the previous events conclusion. In this case Trinity hasn't even started yet and we're already implying
the justice league are dead

Oh, yeah. That. I just chalk it up to the consequences of reading the solicits and the fact that the journey matters as much as the destination.
And let's be honest. The name of the event sort of gave it away anyways. ;)

Owzers

Forever Smooth Sailing and Free Drink Refills #1 of 7.

I've never liked the journey thing, i'm one of those spoiler hating people that want to be surprised. I don't even like prequels since i know where the story goes.

frye

Hrm. So, what makes you think he specifically choose to do Zero Year, so it (Batman) "doesn't get caught up in a ridiculous, worthless crossover"? Has he gone on record as saying that? That Trinity War is a "ridiculous, worthless crossover" and that he specifically wants to avoid it?

He has literally said in nearly every interview he gave when Zero Year was announced that it was a way for him and Greg Capullo to do a singular story that wouldn't involve other titles like the Owls or the Joker stories did.

He has literally said in nearly every interview he gave when Zero Year was announced that it was a way for him and Greg Capullo to do a singular story that wouldn't involve other titles like the Owls or the Joker stories did.

Got any links? Because even after backtracking just now, I've only seen references to wanting to do an re-jiggered origin story, nothing about wanting to be untouched by the other titles.

frye

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2013/03/21/scott-snyder-batman-zero-year-interview-dc-comics/ said:
Part of it, maybe, was that it's been really fun to do these big, collaborative stories that become events or crossovers, but it's also really nice to do this. Part of it was saying "for two years, we've done these stories, Owls and then Joker, where we were so all tied together," and it was fun and inspiring for me personally to get to write with these guys that I really like, but it was also really f**king nice to say "I want to do a story like Black Mirror that's going to be my own, that's big, that touches on themes that are important to me, that doesn't need to spread into anything else." It can just be mine and Greg's.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=44248 said:
Very much. After the last two stories, which were so much fun to work on, we wanted to built stuff that would stand singularly in "Batman" and be able to be collected without reading the other books. There's also this whole community of Bat writers and Bat characters that's fun because we really are all friendly. With the Joker story, the coordination was inspiring on the one hand because I got to work with Gail [Simone], Scott Lobdell, Kyle [Higgins] and John Layman and the rest, but there was a part of me that missed doing a story in "Batman" that was self-contained – something that was just Greg and I.

http://www.newsarama.com/17829-snyder-capullo-take-batman-on-rock-n-roll-romp-through-zero-year.html said:
It's really set in the past. I mean, I wanted to do something with Greg that was our story, that's going to be something that doesn't necessarily need to play into the present-day universe because, I feel like we've done a lot of work in that department and had huge fun being able to do these big crossovers, both with the Owls and then with Joker.

But to be able to tell a story that was singular in our own was part of the fun.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/12/scott-snyder-details-batman-zero-year said:
I’ve had so much fun collaborating with the other Bat-writers, it’s been a tremendous joy, but I do miss some of the singularity of stories that we did like The Black Mirror. For me, this is really something that’s just me and Greg doing our take on the early years of Batman without any really big crossover or anything like that.

Wool

Also, when it gets relaunched as a part of Marvel NOW wave 2 everyone needs to support Winter Soldier 2.0 in return.

Is that an announced thing or are you speculating? These relaunch/renumber tactics are so fucking annoying. "Oh we 'canceled' Winter Solider" and then a #1 comes out 2 months later?

FYC

Banned
YESSSS, my Thor: The Mighty Avenger complete collection has arrived!

Time for my first superhero comic :D

Picked up a bunch of books recently. Books a million had a great sale. Have only read a few

Tales of Sand (didn't buy this, gifted to me by my step mother in law) - Great googly moogly dat art. I can see why Ramon Perez won awards for this. Dude put in some work

Ultimate Comics Captain America by Aaron and Garney. Mostly good. I think you can always expect a solid comic from Aaron. Started out kind of goofy for me. I haven't read much of the Ultimate Comics line, but I get the impression no one can write ultimate cap all that well anymore. Vietnam cap was an interesting idea that I think Aaron nailed. It definitely gets better the farther you get into it. Garney's art looks rushed. Never been a big fan of his work.

ASM: Big Time Not exactly nuanced. It seems to be written to a slightly younger audience than most comics aim for. It's pretty fun if you can get past the Humberto Ramos artwork.

Also bought:

Patsy Walker: Hellcat
Ultimate Comics Thor
Captain America: Prisoner of War
Captain America: The Trial of Captain America
X-Statix: Good Omens (can't wait to get on this shit)
Uncanny X-Force: The Dark Angel Saga Book 2 (already read digitally but didnt own physically)
Loveless vol 1 by Azzarello and Frusin

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
It will be a polybagged Teen Titans issue.

Where does this speculation of Nightwings death come from? Is it because Johns almost did it in Infinite Crisis?

Hm, wasn't Didio the one that pushed that thing? AFAIK, Johns refused to write that, and the editorial wasn't very fond of the idea, either.

EDIT: Oh, that was covered already. Nevermind...

Rumor is something happens during that Villain's crossover thing. Something that will shake the core of DC and its biggest family... or some shit like that. I heard this from a drunk journo acquaintance. Either it's Supergirl or Nightwing.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Rumor is something happens during that Villain's crossover thing. Something that will shake the core of DC and its biggest family... or some shit like that. I heard this from a drunk journo acquaintance. Either it's Supergirl or Nightwing.

Shit, both those books are fun. Kill someone shitty instead DC.

Savitar

Who are not "legends", created in the Silver Age or not one of the originals.

I'd love to see it be Hal or Barry myself that bites it but DC has been doing their best to give those guys the comic book version of Sainthood.

ReiGun

Watch them break Dick's back or some shit like that. Just leave the Bat's family alone. :( Hurt/Kill one of Wonder Woman's supporting cast. No one gives a shit about them.

Strife and Lennox are cool. And....yeah. That's about it...I miss Circe. :/

I'm calling Superboy getting got, btw. Cause why not.

NEO0MJ

Strife and Lennox is cool. And....yeah. That's about it...I miss Circe. :/

I'm calling Superboy getting got, btw. Cause why not.

War is also great. But way too early to kill Superboy, I think. Did they reveal his parents to him yet?

Vibe gettin a statue early...(again.)

In related but unrelated Vibe talk, as I have been reading his book. It just seems like it's going fucking NO WHERE. 4 issues in and there's lots of little nuggets of hints that something awesome is going to happen, but so far nothing awesome has happened.

For me this has been the number 1 complaint I've had about the Nu52 so many of the books just take for fucking ever to get anywhere. Stop writing for the trades mother fuckers.

Ok back to your regularly scheduled who are they going to kill now conversation.

I say leave Nightwing alone, Supergirl..........I'm not crazy about this iteration of her, do they kill her and give PG her own book?

*Edit*

You motherfucking cunts leave Barry alone. Take Hal, fine, but don't you touch a single hair on Barry's head. I swear I'll cut a bitch.

I say bring back Wally, Stephanie, Cassandra and Donna and then just murder the shit out of them so people will get their blood and shut up about those D - listers in one fell swoop! ;-)

I say bring back Wally, Stephanie, Cassandra and Donna and then just murder the shit out of them so people will get their blood and shut up about those D - listers in one fell swoop! ;-)

Ice cold.
KuGsj.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom