• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2013. Nothing can stop the Juggernaut! ...except E3 BREAKING NEWS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buy 1 month of marvel unlimited for $10 and read it all within the month.

This reminds me...now that there's an Android app out for it, I got myself and early father's day present and signed up for a year of Marvel Unlimited. There are a few glitches and the app isn't as good as Comixology, but for $60 a year (there was no 30% off coupon active, sadly) it's cheaper than buying two comics a month.

I already added over 1,000 comics to my library. So much to catch up on. They're also adding the newer Marvel Now stuff, but it's about 5-6 months behind. I'm fine with that.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I can't sleep so I check the DC app and they've got the books up already. I figure I'll grab Batman, see if its worth following Zero Year. I am sold and I'm only 2 pages in, I want to know what the hell happened. Because shit like that don't happen over night, I can tell you that much.

DtZtsflh.jpg

Sorry guys. The Legions destroyed and Superboy is next.

I love old comic covers. Everyday is dramatic gopher day with them.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
The current Guardians of the Galaxy team started as a mini series lead up to Annihilation Conquest. However, the original Annihilation kicked off the current era of Cosmic Marvel, so you should read that first.

If you want the abbreviated version, read the following:

- Annihilation Prologue
- Annihilation #1-7

- Annihilation Conquest Prologue
- Annihilation Conquest; Star Lord Mini
- Annihilation Conquest #1-7 (sort of mediocre

- Guardians of the Galaxy (2008) #1-25

There's more Marvel cosmic stuff worth reading, but that gets you started.

EDIT: The cheapest way to read through this stuff is to subscribe to Marvel Unlimited (digital comics) for a month. That will cost you $10. There are trades and hardcovers floating around, but some of them are probably out of print. Marvel Unlimited would run you $9.99 or $60 for the year. Cheaper if the promo codes still work

Thank you for this post - very helpful! I might just grab a year and take my time reading through a bunch of stuff that I find. I will do some research on the service first.

Quake1028

DARK HORSE COMICS
BLACK BEETLE #4
STAR WARS #6
X #2

DC COMICS
AMERICAN VAMPIRE THE LONG ROAD TO HELL #1
BATMAN #21
SUPERMAN UNCHAINED #1

MARVEL COMICS
DEADPOOL #11
THOR GOD OF THUNDER #9
WOLVERINE AND X-MEN #31

Lombaszko

Finally caught up on last week's books and I gotta say, Green Lantern #21 was great!
Johns' run was good but to me it was bogged down with everything that had happened in the past. All I want is Hal in space doing space stuff with aliens, which GL21 sets up nicely. I'm back on board!

Do you all struggle to remember every story that you read? Once you get the next months issue, does everything come back to you? In my first month of being into comics I find myself looking at my collection trying to remember everything thats going on and sometimes come up with blanks.

kswiston

Do you all struggle to remember every story that you read? Once you get the next months issue, does everything come back to you? In my first month of being into comics I find myself looking at my collection trying to remember everything thats going on and sometimes come up with blanks.

Usually things come back to me when I start reading the next issue. I think it's normal to forget some of the details until you are reminded of them in subsequent issues.

Finally caught up on last week's books and I gotta say, Green Lantern #21 was great!
Johns' run was good but to me it was bogged down with everything that had happened in the past. All I want is Hal in space doing space stuff with aliens, which GL21 sets up nicely. I'm back on board!

It was definitely a great opening tease. The prospect of a big bad, the start of a new generation of Lantern Recruits. But mostly I find the prospect of the Corp being run without
The Guardians
the most intriguing.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Thank you for this post - very helpful! I might just grab a year and take my time reading through a bunch of stuff that I find. I will do some research on the service first.

It's SO good. Read all of it. ALL OF IT!

Owzers

With marvel they have the previously on page, and if it comes with a digital code i go to my tablet to reread/flip through the last issue if i am feeling like it.

With other books i mostly just roll with it, remember the general plot of what happened before but not everything. With a lot of books i tend to wait until 3 or more issue are released before reading them so i can read a couple in a row.

Lombaszko

It was definitely a great opening tease. The prospect of a big bad, the start of a new generation of Lantern Recruits. But mostly I find the prospect of the Corp being run without
The Guardians
the most intriguing.

Totally,
the Templar Guardians seem cool. They all have character and personality and are like, "We're leaving, you guys handle this!" Plus those rookie Green Lanterns that Hal has to teach
could make for some funny moments.

AEREC

Ya...I kinda have this issue. With Wonder Woman I tried reading it one issue at a time with a few weeks in between (up to issue 6) and couldn't get into the story. Recently though I just went ahead and bought the rest and started over by reading 1-20 in one sitting and enjoyed it a lot more.

I think I may just buy a bunch of a specific book from now on and then leave it until it builds up a handful of issues before going back to it.

snorggy

I'm unreasonably excited for Superman Unchained considering I've never really been a Superman guy.

Also really looking forward to Batman despite it being an origin story.

basically, Synder.

lol Diamond fucked my store out of Batman today

I wish they could get fined or credit the store or something, assholes

oh I loved the Lopez cover for Superman but it cost too much

this one

I might go back and buy the regular but ugh 5 bucks

Thai

Bane was better.

oh I loved the Lopez cover for Superman but it cost too much

this one
v8Dbd2p.jpg

I might go back and buy the regular but ugh 5 bucks

GOD, his anatomy in this picture is all wrong. makes my eyes hurt.

Acid08

Banned
The only comic I really struggle with is Manhattan Projects. Can never remember all of what happened in the previous issue.

Bull

I hated the way they recapped the story in all the issues of the H'El on Earth crossover. Every issue started with the title character recapping the story so far to themselves in their head. And worse, Superboy tells himself every issue that he's a clone and a living weapon, etc. Such a lame way to start every issue.

I like reading digitally that I can just quickly open the previous issue and skim through it if I ever do forget anything. A recap page also works though.

Bull

Superman comixology sale. Be sure to grab kingdom come, secret identity, and red son minis.
All Star Superman, but that's a better trade value than the smaller minis. Red Son for $3 total? Do it.

I've been looking forward to a Superman sale for a while. I knew they'd have one around the time of the movie.

So far I have 52 books in my cart but I'm going to take some out. Quite a few I've already read and will be double dipping on.

I really wanted Geoff Johns' Bizarro issues but only the second and third are on sale!

RyanMT

Neo Member
My local comic store had a midnight Superman Unchained launch party last night, it was fun! I used to go to those for album releases, but that doesn't really happen anymore. Have only really been into comics hard this past year, but I think the relaunches psychologically helped jumping in. I try to read each comic at least twice, once when I get it and once before reading the new issue, so I remember what's going on. I also grabbed Batman Zero Year and Savage Wolverine last night, it's been a good day reading through them all outside!

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I didn't even realize Becky Cloonan was on Fabulous Killjoys! Fuck, this comic could be ridiculously great.

I'm currently in the middle of fucking nowhere with no comic book store closer than 30 miles away. Fucking shit. Totally forgot Black Beetle 4 came out. SON OF A BITCH!!!!

Vibranium

Banned
So for Winter Soldiers fans, where do you think the book will go when it makes it's return?

After the events of #19 I hope to see
Tesla return and be sort of an anti-hero/love interest now that Bucky seems to have moved on somewhat from Natasha. Probably one of the most underrated new Marvel female characters, Latour can write strong women well.

Also, I'd like to see "Joebards" continue to be a regular, there's just a great little supporting cast between the two of them and the real Fury. I'd have to hope the new writer can do justice to these characters though so we'll have to see.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Deadpool continues to be funny as all holy hell. It's also quite good.
The scene with the guy stomping Wade's shit as he lectured him on not bullying transgender people in Times Square killed me.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I know, I messed up lol. Got it fixed.

Haha--I actually plan on hitting up Winter Soldier once the collected editions hit. Looks really great but I just missed out on it for some reason.

Vibranium

Banned
Haha--I actually plan on hitting up Winter Soldier once the collected editions hit. Looks really great but I just missed out on it for some reason.

It's excellent, both Brubaker and (possibly better) Latour did a great job. Unfortunately in Bru's last arc it kind of felt rushed and left a bad taste in Bucky fans because of a certain thing occurring (that hopefully you didn't read carefully in my spoiler tag messup).

It's excellent, both Brubaker and (possibly better) Latour did a great job. Unfortunately in Bru's last arc it kind of felt rushed and left a bad taste in Bucky fans because of a certain thing occurring (that hopefully you didn't read carefully in my spoiler tag messup).

Latour and Klein's run is god tier.

Vibranium

Banned
Latour and Klein's run is god tier.

I agree, seriously, Latour needs more work from Marvel, amazing writer. Klein's art was really cool too, my only minor nitpick was that I didn't like how he drew the domino mask so small at times and made Buck's eyes covered during a lot of the Soviet Winter Soldier flashbacks, when we knew he rolled with the open mask during that time (I know it was explained as an upgrade in the present day).

I honestly think they should do the rumored Black Widow solo title in Marvel NOW wave 2. they'd rock it out of the park.

frye

I honestly think they should do the rumored Black Widow solo title in Marvel NOW wave 2. they'd rock it out of the park.

I think I would be pretty into that; even though I was interested in some of the previews, Winter Soldier for me ended with Bru and Guice's kind of perfect last ish but it looks like I'll have to fix that once I've gotten some more distance.

Lotta sex going on at Image Comics...

sexcriminals1_cover.jpg

SEX CRIMINALS #1 – GEM OF THE MONTH
story MATT FRACTION
art / cover CHIP ZDARSKY
SEPTEMBER 4
32 PAGES / FC / M
$3.50
A SEX COMEDY FOR COMICS
Suzie's a normal girl with an extraordinary ability: when she has sex, she stops time. One night she meets John... who has the same gift. And so they do what any other sex-having, time-stopping, couple would do: they rob banks. In the vein of THE 40-YEAR OLD VIRGIN and BRIDESMAIDS, Image Comics invites you to come along with MATT FRACTION (Hawkeye, SATELLITE SAM) and CHIP ZDARSKY (Prison Funnies, Monster Cops) for the series that puts the "comic" back in "comics" and the "sexy" back in "sex crimes."
What kind of depraved idiots are we dealin- wait, Matt Fraction you say? Why, I do believe I shall.

More Image Solicits for September 2013 (CBR)

EDIT: Also, Rat Queens #1 sounds like it might be fun of the "D&D parody" variety.

RatQueens01_cover.jpg

RAT QUEENS #1 - GEM OF THE MONTH
story KURTIS J. WIEBE
art / cover ROC UPCHURCH
incentive cover FIONA STAPLES
SEPTEMBER 25
32 PAGES / FC / M
$3.50
"GOLD, GUTS AND GROG," Part One
Who are the Rat Queens? A pack of booze-guzzling, death-dealing battle maidens-for-hire, and they're in the business of killing all gods' creatures for profit.
It's also a darkly comedic fantasy series starring Hannah the Rockabilly Elven Mage, Violet the Hipster Dwarven Fighter, Dee the Atheist Human Cleric and Betty the Hippy Hobbit Thief. This modern spin on an old school genre is a violent monster-killing epic that is like Buffy meets Tank Girl in a Lord of the Rings world on crack!
A new ongoing series from PETER PANZERFAUST's KURTIS J. WIEBE and featuring a gorgeous incentive cover by SAGA's FIONA STAPLES!

Judging by how often my comic guy complains about Diamond fucking him over on something, I think it happens at every comic shop.

But Diamond doesn't care because no one has a choice. They're a monopoly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom