• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2013. Nothing can stop the Juggernaut! ...except E3 BREAKING NEWS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I KID, I KID.

Or do I?

I could see them killing a Green Lantern. Maybe one that is just sort of meandering. Make room for a new one (the female one mentioned), maybe John Stewart?

Oh wait.

Hrm.

Maybe the blood of my beloved Legion can flow back in time and quench the thirst.

Or maybe it's meta? Like, the blood of DC editorial, spilt on the Altar to Superboy Prime? Aw yiss.

This was missed during yesterday's downtime:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=45975

In the four-part miniseries "Infinity: The Hunt," the unlikely trio of Hank Pym, Wolverine and She-Hulk come together in order to enroll the students of the Marvel Universe in an all-new Contest of Champions. Writer Matt Kindt ("MIND MGMT," "Justice League of America") is joined by artist Steven Sanders ("S.W.O.R.D.") to revive Marvel's classic cosmic concept as part of the publisher's "Infinity" event.

The original "Contest of Champions," released in 1982, was Marvel's first limited series. The story, written by Mark Gruenwald with art by John Romita, Jr. and Bob Layton, featured the Marvel superheroes (including Wolverine and She-Hulk) being used as pawns in a massive death match between Elder of the Universe, the Grandmaster and Death for the life of Grandmaster's fellow Elder, the Collector. A subsequent, unrelated series, "Contest of the Champions II," by Chris Claremont and pencilled by Oscar Jimenez and Michael Ryan, was released in 1999 featuring the Brood and the Brood Queen as the villains and again, Wolverine and She-Hulk as contestants.

CBR News: Essentially, this is a gathering of the best and brightest young heroes the Marvel Universe has to offer in a winner-take-all contest, but beyond that, what are we going to see?

KINDT: I don't know how much I want to say just yet but in terms of "Contest of Champions," we use it to set up the bigger story. I've also written maybe 15 all-new characters that are from different schools from around the world, like the Wakandan school and the Latverian school and the school from Atlantis. There are going to be a bunch of different schools competing in this contest. And the heart of the story is these new characters mixing with some of the students from the existing schools, like Jean Grey's.

That's really what attracted me to the project. Working with the characters that we're all familiar with like Wolverine and She-Hulk, but also getting to create whole new characters. That is the most fun. I have a huge document with all their backstories and powers. I spent a lot of time developing these characters. It's hard to come up with a superpower that hasn't been done before! There are different ways to do that. You can be interesting and fun and kind of work with where the students are coming from and where they live. And there are the cultural differences, as well, to explore, which was fun.

1370882928.jpg
Hey, maybe while they're working with these kids Hank and Logan will suddenly notice that THEIR OWN STUDENTS AND FLESH AND BLOOD HAVE GONE MISSING.

Owzers

Don't be mistaken, Superman Unchained isn't terrible, it's not even really bad, per se. It's simply typical, uninspired, and worst of all, boring. There are moments that approach the kind of operatic, Earth-shaking power that Superman can have, but all too often they are weighed down by a lack of real motivation or direction.
- newsarama review of Superman Unchained #1

http://www.newsarama.com/18059-best-shows-advanced-review-superman-unchained-1.html

IGN is the only place my taste tends to match up with the most, so i'll see what their reviewers have to say. I already have #1 and 2 on pre-order, but i'm most likely removing #3 from my order.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Advanced reviews of Batman #21 and Superman Unchained #1 by Comic Vine.

Superman Unchained #1 Review

Batman #21 Review

- newsarama review of Superman Unchained #1

http://www.newsarama.com/18059-best-shows-advanced-review-superman-unchained-1.html

IGN is the only place my taste tends to match up with the most, so i'll see what their reviewers have to say. I already have #1 and 2 on pre-order, but i'm most likely removing #3 from my order.

So we've got hyped beyond belief and couldn't give a rat's ass. Usually a good sign if something is this decisive. It means there's something there worth looking at.

AEREC

Is All Star Superman SE just an exact remake of the original mini-series? I havent read the 2005 original but I have seen the cartoon movie and it seems like an exact match. If thats the case Im just wonder what the point is?

FYC

Banned
Aww man, I just finished Thor: The Mighty Avenger... Superb, but so sad to see it end abruptly :(

Well there's my first superhero comic. Yay. I'll see if I can grab Walt Simonson's run digitally.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I say bring back Wally, Stephanie, Cassandra and Donna and then just murder the shit out of them so people will get their blood and shut up about those D - listers in one fell swoop! ;-)

you are the worst of the worst. which is why i can see didio doing something similar

Old Man once said, "start every other issue with anecdote that's thematically relevant to the story at hand. You'll be a regular Alan Moore in no time."

Dead

well not really...yet
I literally just found out that there is a new superman book by Snyder and Lee, but holy shit...$5?!?

frye

I see. I didn't notice it until now. Like the guy (presumably benjamin?) says, it's not a bad technique, but it's overuse is obvious. He should at least mix it up and have it be a mother figure.

I actually can't think of many comics dudes with prominent mother figures in their comics. Those guys love their daddy issues.

I actually can't think of many comics dudes with prominent mother figures in their comics. Those guys love their daddy issues.

I mean, both Waynes got killed, but you never hear shit about Martha. It's always Thomas Wayne this or Howard Stark that

Veelk

Banned

Well, Neil Gaiman had his mother be the one to guide Bruce on his existential journey in Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader. And Martha Wayne was a prominent figure in Alfred Father's ministory in the Night of Owls thing. But I guess it's because of the stereotype that where having a strong relationship with your father is inspiring and touching, having a strong relationship with your mother makes you a mama's boy. If badass heroes like Batman can't sit for fear of being less badass, how can they be closer to their mama's than their fathers?

akira28

There's probably a lot of writers who have daddy issues and inject them into their work.

sign o the times. Used to be, two parents were the norm, and you'd grow up to be Superman. Broken home meant you'd grow up twisted and Batty. Now everyone had divorced parents or dead parents, or even worse, abusive parents, and those are the heroes.

frye

Yeah, a few aunts in Marvel but I think for Spider-Man, Ben is (not to downplay May, obvs) "more" important?

Well, Neil Gaiman had his mother be the one to guide Bruce on his existential journey in Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader. And Martha Wayne was a prominent figure in Alfred Father's ministory in the Night of Owls thing. But I guess it's because of the stereotype that where having a strong relationship with your father is inspiring and touching, having a strong relationship with your mother makes you a mama's boy. If badass heroes like Batman can't sit for fear of being less badass, how can they be closer to their mama's than their fathers?
That's definitely true... though I do like jaxword's point too.

There's probably a lot of writers who have daddy issues and inject them into their work.
Yeah, with someone like Remender, how many times do (alcoholic) dads feature into his stuff? He brought it back in Cap even though it's traditionally not been mentioned that much. Snyder is all about dads... same with Hickman, FF has a lot of father/son stuff with Nathaniel/Reed/Franklin and SHIELD is literally a comic featuring dads.

kswiston

Yeah, a few aunts in Marvel but I think for Spider-Man, Ben is (not to downplay May, obvs) "more" important?

Peter didn't make a deal with the devil to save his Uncle Ben. When the dude was signing away his marriage and eternal love he didn't even bother asking for Ben's old ass back as part of the deal.

Honestly though, I think it's a same gender role model thing. I can think of a few female characters with prominent moms. Liberty Belle, Rogue (who sort of had 2 adoptive moms) and Wonder Woman for instance.

akira28

Jason Rusch's relationship with his dad tripped me out. Pre-52 abusive dad, still in the comic, present tense, and not in jail or dead, or an evil cyborg.

kswiston

Where do I start if I want to read and Guardians of the Galaxy?

The current Guardians of the Galaxy team started as a mini series lead up to Annihilation Conquest. However, the original Annihilation kicked off the current era of Cosmic Marvel, so you should read that first.

If you want the abbreviated version, read the following:

- Annihilation Prologue
- Annihilation #1-7

- Annihilation Conquest Prologue
- Annihilation Conquest; Star Lord Mini
- Annihilation Conquest #1-7 (sort of mediocre

- Guardians of the Galaxy (2008) #1-25

There's more Marvel cosmic stuff worth reading, but that gets you started.

EDIT: The cheapest way to read through this stuff is to subscribe to Marvel Unlimited (digital comics) for a month. That will cost you $10. There are trades and hardcovers floating around, but some of them are probably out of print. Marvel Unlimited would run you $9.99 or $60 for the year. Cheaper if the promo codes still work

Dysun

I say bring back Wally, Stephanie, Cassandra and Donna and then just murder the shit out of them so people will get their blood and shut up about those D - listers in one fell swoop! ;-)

How can you call Wally a D lister with a straight face. Blasphemy

Wool

Is All New X-Men going to get paperback TPB's at any point? The first two volumes are out in hardcover. I'd like to catch up on it just so UXM makes a little more sense.

Owzers

Superman comixology sale. Be sure to grab kingdom come, secret identity, and red son minis.
All Star Superman, but that's a better trade value than the smaller minis. Red Son for $3 total? Do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom