• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2013. Nothing can stop the Juggernaut! ...except E3 BREAKING NEWS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

Cornell's Captain Britain and MI 13 is my favorite book of his, he lost me at the end of his Luthor focused Action Comics run when it got turned into a Doomsday crossover thing. The first arc of that was great though. Demon Knights was decent but i didn't like how it progressed as much as other did.

So Cho's Savage Wolverine finale took me three minutes to read. I fear for when he and Bendis team up for Battle of the Atom. The Wake was everything I ever wanted from it, cant wait for more.

Tizoc

Cornell's Captain Britain and MI 13 is my favorite book of his, he lost me at the end of his Luthor focused Action Comics run when it got turned into a Doomsday crossover thing. The first arc of that was great though. Demon Knights was decent but i didn't like how it progressed as much as other did.

I loved all those books, but the Luthor story ended by the time Doomsday started.

Have you read his Knight and Squire mini yet?

Some random postings:
KSJfDqo.jpg

lm6BVO2.jpg

qaP0xwp.jpg

HVlKHof.jpg

NLM9Cfw.jpg

Owzers

Knight and Squire mini has been on my shelf for months now, one day i will read it. I'm hoping Secret Service is better than Millar's Supercrooks. Kick Ass 3 is the first Millar book i'm skipping.

tim1138

Dunno if this affects anyone here, but DC stuff is back available to purchase on the Kindle Fire comixology app after mysteriously disappearing a year or so ago. You could download and read DC stuff purchased elsewhere but could not actually buy a DC comic in app.

WorldStar

Banned
Haven't read comics in +10 years. Recently decided to check out Hawkeye on a whim and I'm loving it.

Any other recommendations? Some of the stuff I used to enjoy back when I read comics a long time ago was anything Alan Moore (Watchmen, V for Vendetta, and Swamp Thing in particular). I also thoroughly enjoyed Transmetropolitan.

Thinking of checking out Thor - God of Thunder and Superman Unchained.

Haven't read comics in +10 years. Recently decided to check out Hawkeye on a whim and I'm loving it.

Any other recommendations? Some of the stuff I used to enjoy back when I read comics a long time ago was anything Alan Moore (Watchmen, V for Vendetta, and Swamp Thing in particular). I also thoroughly enjoyed Transmetropolitan.

Unchained is just starting, so I can't really recommend it beyond the first issue. if you are looking for a Supes story try Superman Birthright, Secret Identity or All-Star Superman.

You should definitely try out Thor:GoT. And while you're at it try Saga and Chew.

It was a great intro. I want to see how the book is when we get into the meat of the series.
Im a sucker for stuff like this, especially the last page. Wish we had more comics like it because movies cant really pull it off for me.

Uncanny X Force was pretty good. They juggled Soy and Alphona pretty well. Soy's are art is a bit better here, doesnt look like he spilt water on it this time. Miss Garney though.

Uncanny X Force was pretty good. They juggled Soy and Alphona pretty well. Soy's are art is a bit better here, doesnt look like he spilt water on it this time. Miss Garney though.

It's not too bad. It doesn't hold a candle to Remender's run, but I do (or will) like seeing Spiral on the team. She's an interesting choice.

Since you seem to be open to nonhero comics (for lack of better phrasing. Spandex free?) I would suggest East of West. It's head and shoulders above everything else I'm keeping up with in singles.

Acid08

Banned
Went to see if there were any copies left of Six Gun Gorilla at my LCS, no luck. Seems like I might have to spend about $7 online for the issue.

Tizoc

Far as Superman and Thor go:
JMS' Thor run while rather slow was pretty good and had fantastic art.
Kireon Gillen also wrote some great Thor stories too.

Superman is pretty easy really:
All-Star Superman
Superman Birthright
Superman for All Seasons
Superman: Secret Identity

If possible consider reading stories written by Geoff Johns or Greg Rucka.

I'd recommend Superman: New Krypton series, but if continuity is something that you are very concerned about it you might not like it, but it has a wonderful characterization of Supes among his Kryptonian brethren/kin.

You know, as I went through my LOSH run (rebagging and boarding old issues) it made me realize just how dramatically art / print quality has increased in the last 10 years alone. It's like night and day. You can go back to the early 2000s and see it blooming, but even a few scant years before that the difference is staggering.

Now, old covers, those still hold up.

NOOOOOOOO

Alas no. We are done with 655. But seeing as we were basically cooked right out of the gate, I’m going to call hanging in for nearly a year a success. To be truthful, the real challenge that we inherited with this book was living up to the beautiful work that Kieron et al had done previously and the amazing reader energy that had been generated.

If all that had happened with our ten issues was to extend the influence of the astonishing Valerio Schiti, that would have been enough. As it is, I’m so proud of what Valerio, Jordie, Clayton, Pepe and I put on the page under Lauren and Jake’s fearless leadership. I’m also thrilled to have been able to write Sif as a fierce warrior and a lovable dork. I hope she finds a new home somewhere with a lot of things to say and a lot of things to kill.

Thanks for reading.

K-

Noooo

Went to see if there were any copies left of Six Gun Gorilla at my LCS, no luck. Seems like I might have to spend about $7 online for the issue.

Yeah, I went to three local shops and none of them had it. Two had sold out and I didn't talk to the owner of the third so I'm not sure whether they stocked it at all. One of the shops that had it said it sold out quickly, but they didn't get many issues to begin with. How could Boom! underestimate the appeal of a gorilla cowboy? Regardless, I'm holding out for the second printing, which Comiclist says is forthcoming.

Speaking of Six-Gun Gorilla, the guys at House to Astonish apparently review it in their latest episode. Along with The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys, and Superman Unchained. Here's the post on their website featuring the podcast. They're also on itunes.

Do you guys listen to comics podcasts? I really enjoy House to Astonish and to a lesser degree Wait, What?

The House to Astonish guys can be a little anti-DC while the Wait, What podcasters seem to prefer DC books, so listening to both I get a balance. Do any of you listen to comics podcasts that you would recommend?

New week, new Diamond List.

Post 'em!

Pretty small week for me, minus the two trades I'll be grabbing from IST.

Art of The Last of Us
Batwoman #21
Wonder Woman #21
Invincible #103
Mara #5
Saga TPB Vol.2
Age of Ultron #10
Captain Marvel #13
Superior Spider-Man #12

Also, WHAT THE FUCK. It looks like my entire god-damned pull-list comes out next week!!! Especially Marvel. Fuck Marvel. And their fucking triple-shipping.

Saga tp Vol. 2
Cable and X-Force #10
Suicide Risk #1
She Hulk Diaries sc. I hear this novel is really good! And I've loved She-Hulk ever since Byrne's run basically got me into comics.

Might pick up that Michonne pint glass, too. And I'll need to bug the library to buy Sweet Tooth tp 6 - Oh my god the last Sweet Tooth trade. Please let the run come out as an omnibus please please.

Nudull

Banned
Looks like Ghostbusters got bumped back a week. Blah. :/

Avengers #14
Batwoman #21
Captain Marvel #13
New Avengers #7

Might try out Birds of Prey and Chew, as well.
EDIT: Forgot that She-Hulk Diaries was coming out, too. Tempted to get it. :3

New week, new Diamond List.

Post 'em!

Pretty small week for me, minus the two trades I'll be grabbing from IST.

Art of The Last of Us
Batwoman #21
Wonder Woman #21
Invincible #103
Mara #5
Saga TPB Vol.2
Age of Ultron #10
Captain Marvel #13

Also, WHAT THE FUCK. It looks like my entire god-damned pull-list comes out next week!!! Especially Marvel. Fuck Marvel. And their fucking triple-shipping.
Animal Man #21
Wonder Woman #21
TMNT Villain Micro-Series #3
Age Of Ultron #10
Avengers #13
Fantastic Four #9
Indestructible Hulk #9
Morbius The Living Vampire #6
New Avengers #7

frye

Do you guys listen to comics podcasts? I really enjoy House to Astonish and to a lesser degree Wait, What?

The House to Astonish guys can be a little anti-DC while the Wait, What podcasters seem to prefer DC books, so listening to both I get a balance. Do any of you listen to comics podcasts that you would recommend?

I like those too (more WW than HtA) so I'd rec SILENCE! over on the Mindless Ones, maybe? I dig it a lot but it probably isn't for everybody.

Yeah, my pull has been weirdly scant the last few weeks but it turns out it's just backloaded as fuck.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Lists coming early this week!

Avengers #14
Batman and Robin #21
Batwoman #21
Fantastic Four #9
Indestructible Hulk #9
Superior Spider-Man #12
Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #24
Wonder Woman #21

SSM and WW probably my most anticipated. Enjoying USM though.

tim1138

Feels like lists go up earlier every week!

Animal Man #21
Vibe #5
Wonder Woman #21

I'll probably pick up X-Files #1 as well.

Reevaluated my pull list to see if there was anything I could drop. Decided to drop Jupiter's Legacy and Astro City. Just didn't like the first issues enough. Also decided to quit Cable and X-Force at #10 because then I'll have 6-10 and I can hop back on board when the third volume comes out (assuming it does). Same with Sex, I'm gonna drop it at #5 and probably just buy the second trade when it's released if I feel compelled.

How do you decide what to read in single issues and which to trade-wait for?

I'm looking to try to limit my singles pull list to titles that I think might not make it to trade, and to things I absolutely can't wait for (for example, East of West). Also, buying singles is the best way to support a book and I love Batwoman so after I read the second volume hardcover I just bought, I think I'm gonna start picking up the singles.

If I don't have really compelling reasons to pick up single issues though, I'd rather trade-wait. TP and HC are just a better reading experience and are more easy to display and loan out.

Owzers

my trade wait reasons are all over the place. DC hates trades so i tend to just skip whatever books i don't buy monthly, which is only Aquaman, Batman, Superman Unchained, Green Lantern, and Wonder Woman. Marvel i tend to buy the 3.99 with digital code books and sell the singles later unless i love them and want them in my collection, though i buy the 2.99 books i want the most monthly too ( daredevil, FF, hawkguy). Image i buy some monthly and trade wait the rest, it's a bit random but based on interest.

Dysun

Batman and Robin 21
Justice League 21

Age of Ultron 10
Avengers 14
Cable and X-Force 10
Indestructible Hulk 9
New Avengers 7
Superior Spider-Man 12
Uncanny Avengers 9

Dropped: GL:NG unless reviews are stellar

ElNarez

Banned
You guys cannot do lists right. LOOK AT HOW IT'S DONE.

-Animal Man #21 (I have no fucking idea what to expect because I can't remember what the fuck happened last time THAT'S HOW BAD THE DELAY HAS BEEN and also how kinda bland the book has become)
-Batman & Batgirl #21
-Batwoman #21
-Vibe #5 (I STILL BELIEVE)
-Red Hood and the Outlaws #21 (Fucking do something impressive for once you stupid fucking book)
-Wonder Woman #21
-Age of Ultron #10 (STILL THINKING MARVELMAN MIGHT SHOW UP YOU GUYS)
-Avengers #14
-Cable and X-Force #10 (It's Not Avengers Arena!)
-Captain Marvel #13
-Fantastic Four #9
-Indestructible Hulk #9
-New Avengers #7
-Uncanny Avengers #9
-X-Factor #258
-X-Men Legacy #12 (Y'all need to get this)

anyone hoping that Dc follows marvel and puts faora in the comics.(preferably written by Synder)

Do you mean a current version? Because Faora is a character that already exists. And then you have a character based on her (Ursa), so you've got sort of two versions. Just not one that has been around recently (I think new Krypton is the most recent time, for Ursa?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom