• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2013. Nothing can stop the Juggernaut! ...except E3 BREAKING NEWS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim1138

Batman and Robin 21
Justice League 21

Age of Ultron 10
Avengers 14
Cable and X-Force 10
Indestructible Hulk 9
New Avengers 7
Superior Spider-Man 12
Uncanny Avengers 9

Dropped: GL:NG unless reviews are stellar

Justice League isn't out this week.

Reevaluated my pull list to see if there was anything I could drop. Decided to drop Jupiter's Legacy and Astro City. Just didn't like the first issues enough. Also decided to quit Cable and X-Force at #10 because then I'll have 6-10 and I can hop back on board when the third volume comes out (assuming it does). Same with Sex, I'm gonna drop it at #5 and probably just buy the second trade when it's released if I feel compelled.

How do you decide what to read in single issues and which to trade-wait for?

I'm looking to try to limit my singles pull list to titles that I think might not make it to trade, and to things I absolutely can't wait for (for example, East of West). Also, buying singles is the best way to support a book and I love Batwoman so after I read the second volume hardcover I just bought, I think I'm gonna start picking up the singles.

If I don't have really compelling reasons to pick up single issues though, I'd rather trade-wait. TP and HC are just a better reading experience and are more easy to display and loan out.

I tried to cull a bunch of stuff from my pull list and wait for the trade; Thunderbolts, Wood's Dark Horse stuff, Captain Marvel, Avengers Assemble.

I lasted a month and then piled them all back on again.

:(

ZV4nvyt.jpg

EVEN IN 1986 DC WAS CONTRIVING BATMAN INTO EVERYTHING ;)

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
My list for this week aka How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Drop Age of Ultron

Indestructible Hulk #9
Fantastic Four #9
Daredevil #27
Wonder Woman #21
Mara #5
New Avengers #7
Avengers #14

I'm getting slightly burnt out on the Avengers + New Avengers combo. They're not terrible or anything, just tiring and sometimes dense. But they compliment each other so well, I don't really want to drop either one.

kswiston

My list for this week aka How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Drop Age of Ultron

Indestructible Hulk #9
Fantastic Four #9
Daredevil #27
Wonder Woman #21
Mara #5
New Avengers #7
Avengers #14

I'm getting slightly burnt out on the Avengers + New Avengers combo. They're not terrible or anything, just tiring and sometimes dense. But they compliment each other so well, I don't really want to drop either one.

I wish I dropped AoU after the first issue or two. No real point now with 1 more book to go. Plus I am sort of curious in a morbid way to see how Bendis will manage to shoe horn the introduction of Angela AND finish is "Ultron" story in 30 pages.

If you are on board for Infinity, Avengers and New Avengers will probably be the two tie ins worth having.

My list this week:
- Age of Ultron #10
- Avengers #14
- Cable and X-Force #10
- New Avengers #7 - I don't think Black Panther will actually kill Namor this issue (there was a flash forward scene in issue 2 with Namor that hasn't happened yet) but I expect a good beat down.
- Uncanny Avengers #9 - This book has really been picking up Steam. Each issue makes me glad I stuck out those first 3 issues.

oh liiiisties!

100 Bullets Brother Lono #1
A+X #9
Age of Ultron #10
Avengers #14
B.P.R.D. Hell On Earth #108
Baltimore the Inquisitor
Captain Marvel #13
Conan the Barbarian #17
Fantastic Four #9
Indestructible Hulk #9
Mara #5
New Avengers #7
The Sixth Gun #32
The Sixth Gun: Sons of the Gun #4
Superior Spider-Man #12
Thunderbolts #11
Uncanny Avengers #9
X-Men: Legacy #12

Marvel:
A+X #9
Age of Ultron #10 of 10
Avengers #14
Captain Marvel #13
New Avengers #7
Superior Spider-Man #12
Uncanny Avengers #9
X-Factor #258

DC:
Batman and Batgirl #21
Wonder Woman #21

Indies:
Doctor Who Ongoing #10 (IDW)
Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye #18 (IDW)
Invincible #103 (Image)

BATMAN AND BATGIRL #21
BATMAN BEYOND UNLIMITED #17
BATWOMAN #21
BIRDS OF PREY #21
GREEN LANTERN NEW GUARDIANS #21
JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICAS VIBE #5
LEGION OF SUPER HEROES #21
RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS #21
SUPERGIRL #21
WONDER WOMAN #21

Damn fine week, damn fine.

Only title I'm still iffy about this week is Birds of Prey. But it's been turning around question mark?

Do you mean a current version? Because Faora is a character that already exists. And then you have a character based on her (Ursa), so you've got sort of two versions. Just not one that has been around recently (I think new Krypton is the most recent time, for Ursa?)

The movie version was bad ass so that one.

Owzers

finished Secret Service, i didn't love it or hate it, it reminds me of Superior without the powers. Next up: Catching up on Morning Glories....should be fun! I have 10 issues to get through.

He's done great work with Injustice so far. There is a reason that it continues to be popular well after the launch of the game. He's not a bad choice.

Also great that Nicola is staying on. She's sogood.gif

INJUSTICE: GODS AMONG US scribe Tom Taylor will take over writing duties on EARTH 2 this fall, beginning with issue #17 available in October.

"I've had so much fun working on Earth 2 with James Robinson over the last year. While I'm sad to see him go, I'm really looking forward to exploring the ever expanding mysteries of the title. I'm even more excited about moving forward on this journey with my great friend and fellow countryman Tom Taylor! Not only a charming guy but a great talent to boot. She continued, I can't wait for everyone to see what we have lined up!”
--EARTH 2 series artist Nicola Scott.

"I'm a big fan of what James and Nicola have created so far with Earth 2, and I'm honored to be adding to this world, with its rich characters and its many mysteries. Earth 2 is entering a new age, and I'm thrilled to usher in this new age with my good friend, and fellow Australian, Nicola Scott. It was good of DC Comics to give Australia our own Earth to play with. We'll try not to wreck the joint."
--Tom Taylor

Man of Steel was mediocre as fuck. The most joyless live-action Superman film I've ever seen. One-note villains, terrible pacing, self-serious with rampant tonal shifts, completely unearned emotional moments, flat characterization, bad dialog, consequence free action scenes blowing up nondescript buildings...they don't even give Henry Cavil much to even work with.

Ugh

Even Returns was more fun to watch. That one at least had Kevin Spacey hamming it up and a fun tone to SOME of it's scenes.

I smiled ONCE watching Meh of Steel.

What has been going on with Age of Ultron?
I don't mind spoilers.

Is it worth to wait for TPB?

At first I thought it was totally meaningless with no impact on the 616.

Then I was talking to a buddy and there's this bit where a (lol, "A") Tony Stark tells Wolverine that y'all need to stop fucking around with time travel.

Meanwhile:
Thor
Wolverine & The X-Men
All New X-Men
Captain America
Uncanny Avengers
Uncanny X-Force

So...YEAH. PRETTY FUCKING IMPORTANT OMFG.

kswiston

What has been going on with Age of Ultron?
I don't mind spoilers.

Is it worth to wait for TPB?

I would just wait until the series is on Marvel Unlimited or something

Series Summary:

- The book opens with a apocalyptic future/present/whatever where Ultron has defeated the Marvel heroes and destroyed the earth. Nothing important happens for the first 3-4 issues. Hawkeye rescues Spider-man from a crackhouse. Captain America sits, and then stands. Black Panther trips, falls a short distance, breaks his neck, and dies.
- Eventually the heroes decide to infiltrate Ultron's tower, and we learn that Ultron is actually orchestrating his takeover from the future, using Vision as a pawn in the present.
- The remaining Avengers travel to the Savage land to find a time machine that Nick Fury stole from Doom. Their plan is to travel to the future and face Ultron.
- Cap and a select team of heroes travel to the future for a final battle against Ultron an are immediately killed by Ultron's drones. Cap is Decapitated so that you know they really lost.
- While this is happening, Wolverine goes against Cap's orders and travels to the past in an attempt to kill Hank Pym before he can invent Ultron. Sue Storm follows him.
- Wolverine confronts Pym, and they fight. Sue stops Wolverine, insisting that killing is wrong. However, after 30 seconds of dialogue, Wolverine changes her mind and she allows him to kill Pym.
- They return to the present and find that the world is just as bad as they left it, only Morgan Le Faye is taking over the world instead of Ultron. Tony Stark is also some sort of robot dictator.
- Queue 2 issues of pointless alternate future stuff before Sue and Wolverine travel back into the past to stop Wolverine from killing Hank Pym. Before they leave, a dying robo-Tony warns them that time travelling and messing with the past/future is "killing time"
- Back in the past, near future Wolverine stops recent past Wolverine from killing Pym. Near future Wolverine instead tells Pym that he has to go ahead and invent Ultron, but that he needs to install a failsafe in the AI. After installing the failsafe, he needs to forget that he did so.
- Sue and the Wolverines return to the Savage Land to travel back to their present. Since we can't have multiple Wolverines, only one of them can return. Near future Wolverine volunteers to die because he doesn't want to live with what he has seen in Robo-Tony's world (though Sue is apparently fine). Recent past Wolverine kills near Future Wolverine and returns with Sue to the present.

There, you are caught up. Now to see how Angela can be shoehorned into this story in the 30 remaining pages.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The villain's long stuff is in September, Supes/WW debited in Oct.

Forever Evil, the event mini, starts in September and runs seven issues, and there are four other Forever Evil minis starting in October and running five issues apiece.

It just feels like mixed messaging. We're gonna focus on villains and give them the upper hand for a few months! Now here's a big new series starring Superman and Wonder Woman!

I would just wait until the series is on Marvel Unlimited or something

Series Summary:

- The book opens with a apocalyptic future/present/whatever where Ultron has defeated the Marvel heroes and destroyed the earth. Nothing important happens for the first 3-4 issues. Hawkeye rescues Spider-man from a crackhouse. Captain America sits, and then stands. Black Panther trips, falls a short distance, breaks his neck, and dies.
- Eventually the heroes decide to infiltrate Ultron's tower, and we learn that Ultron is actually orchestrating his takeover from the future, using Vision as a pawn in the present.
- The remaining Avengers travel to the Savage land to find a time machine that Nick Fury stole from Doom. Their plan is to travel to the future and face Ultron.
- Cap and a select team of heroes travel to the future for a final battle against Ultron an are immediately killed by Ultron's drones. Cap is Decapitated so that you know they really lost.
- While this is happening, Wolverine goes against Cap's orders and travels to the past in an attempt to kill Hank Pym before he can invent Ultron. Sue Storm follows him.
- Wolverine confronts Pym, and they fight. Sue stops Wolverine, insisting that killing is wrong. However, after 30 seconds of dialogue, Wolverine changes her mind and she allows him to kill Pym.
- They return to the present and find that the world is just as bad as they left it, only Morgan Le Faye is taking over the world instead of Ultron. Tony Stark is also some sort of robot dictator.
- Queue 2 issues of pointless alternate future stuff before Sue and Wolverine travel back into the past to stop Wolverine from killing Hank Pym. Before they leave, a dying robo-Tony warns them that time travelling and messing with the past/future is "killing time"
- Back in the past, near future Wolverine stops recent past Wolverine from killing Pym. Near future Wolverine instead tells Pym that he has to go ahead and invent Ultron, but that he needs to install a failsafe in the AI. After installing the failsafe, he needs to forget that he did so.
- Sue and the Wolverines return to the Savage Land to travel back to their present. Since we can't have multiple Wolverines, only one of them can return. Near future Wolverine volunteers to die because he doesn't want to live with what he has seen in Robo-Tony's world (though Sue is apparently fine). Recent past Wolverine kills near Future Wolverine and returns with Sue to the present.

There, you are caught up. Now to see how Angela can be shoehorned into this story in the 30 remaining pages.

o_O
Ooookay...

Thanks for the help (and the headache you induced on yourself writing that).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom