• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2013. Nothing can stop the Juggernaut! ...except E3 BREAKING NEWS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I am borrowing this for future use to describe the downfall of the Ultimate line. I hope they keep the Miles nonsense far from the 616. Spock is temporary and we all know it.

I'm not even sure how they would work bringing Miles over. He's what 15?

If Spock lasts longer than a year I will be surprised.

sca2511

Birds of Prey is definitely getting better. Christy Mary is a good if not a great writer. I'd suggest picking up a one off issue to check it out; I believe the next issue is a one shit crossover with Talon.

Edit: The Talon crossover sounds interesting, Calvin Rose is bring forced to go after Strix (the BoP Talon).

BoP is really getting better? I keep hearing how terrible BoP and Batgirl are and it sort of swayed me from buying the trades. How's Batgirl currently?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
BoP is really getting better? I keep hearing how terrible BoP and Batgirl are and it sort of swayed me from buying the trades. How's Batgirl currently?

They're both fine. Batgirl started off weak but by the time they got around to the tie ins it got better.

They're both fine. Batgirl started off weak but by the time they got around to the tie ins it got better.

Both titles have been getting better. Batgirl was always see-saw for me. Sometimes good, sometimes not, but lately... say the last 4+ issues, have been very enjoyable. To be fair, 1-2 of those were a different "fill in" writer. But I think it's going someplace interesting.

BoP has very hard swings. I actually liked what they had going early on; I liked Katana on the team over Strix, but that's more from the limitations of a mute character. They've been building the series back up and I actually like Christy Marx as a writer.

If you are someone who buys the trades I don't know how I'd recommend it to you.

sca2511

Both titles have been getting better. Batgirl was always see-saw for me. Sometimes good, sometimes not, but lately... say the last 4+ issues, have been very enjoyable. To be fair, 1-2 of those were a different "fill in" writer. But I think it's going someplace interesting.

BoP has very hard swings. I actually liked what they had going early on; I liked Katana on the team over Strix, but that's more from the limitations of a mute character. They've been building the series back up and I actually like Christy Marx as a writer.

If you are someone who buys the trades I don't know how I'd recommend it to you.

So in your opinion, Batgirl > BoP just a tiny bit? Yeah, I prefer to collect trades.

Ive come the conclusion that the big 2, Marvel and DC have the worst paper and tactile feel of other publishers ive read. I bought some Star Wars books today which introduced me to Dark Horse and its a joy to hold and turn the pages.

You guys, ULTIMATE X-MEN is one of the best xbooks right now. Stop reading Miles Morales nonsensical and boring ass baby drama and get on the xtrain.

Ehhhh. It's a solid book, but I don't like it as much as some of the other X-titles. Also because it's not even 616, so it doesn't really count.

Acid08

Banned
Ive come the conclusion that the big 2, Marvel and DC have the worst paper and tactile feel of other publishers ive read. I bought some Star Wars books today which introduced me to Dark Horse and its a joy to hold and turn the pages.
Word. I think Marvel is slightly worse.

Deprive

Ultimate was screwed when Millar did Civil War. Basically gave the regular universe, the ultimate characterizations.

Well if the Ultimate universe is going to end soon, the books are at least decent right now.

Anyone in here read webcomics? Unsounded by any chance?

Marvel uses the cheapest paper known to man. Shit isnt even tqo ply or toilet paper grade. Oni, Darkhorse and IDW have great paper. Image is sometimes up in the air because the creators choose the type, East of West has great paper.

ghostmind

Uncanny Avengers - can someone please kill the Wasp again, for good this time?

This title is really good at portraying the Avengers as arrogant hypocrites.

Blader

Uncanny Avengers - can someone please kill the Wasp again, for good this time?

This title is really good at portraying the Avengers as arrogant hypocrites.

Better yet, kill Rogue. She's awful.

I was onboard for UA the last few issues, but this one looked ugly and was really wordy without having much of anything to say.

Considering how awful Rogue was before Marvel NOW!, this new Rogue is a welcome change I say. Girl's got a chip on her shoulder and f*ck anyone who tries to knock it off.

Went today just to get Ultimate Spidey 24 and walked out with that and X-Files S10 #1, and Star Wars Darth Vader and the Ninth Assassin 1,2,3.

Ultimate Spidey was a let down. Still enjoy the character but this issue didnt really feature him.

X-Files was fun. Played out just like an episode in my head. Title song even played in my head. lol

Star Wars was a real suprise. Quality art and story so far. Made me order the other Vader trades off Amazon.

kswiston

New Avengers 7- Everyone on notice

I know we had the silly World War Hulk shenanigans which clad the Hulk in the strongest of plot armor, but I can't think of many groups that could go toe to toe with the current New Avengers lineup. Reed and Strange are so overpowered in their particular specialties that Marvel conveniently downplays or leaves them out of most crossovers.

Acid08

Banned
Marvel uses the cheapest paper known to man. Shit isnt even tqo ply or toilet paper grade. Oni, Darkhorse and IDW have great paper. Image is sometimes up in the air because the creators choose the type, East of West has great paper.

The East of West paper is the same as the Manhattan Projects paper right? Love that stuff.

Mafro

I know we had the silly World War Hulk shenanigans which clad the Hulk in the strongest of plot armor, but I can't think of many groups that could go toe to toe with the current New Avengers lineup. Reed and Strange are so overpowered in their particular specialties that Marvel conveniently downplays or leaves them out of most crossovers.
Yeah I loved the way they made Dr Strange sit out Civil War.

ElNarez

Banned
New Avengers #7 is fucking high-level mindgames. Like, I'm pretty sure Reed knows better than to straight-up lie to Doom, but also that's totally the kind of thing he could be super fucking dumb about. But why would you fuck with Doom?

Sooo, AoU 10 / New Avengers 1-7 / Avengers 1-14 Spoiler:

Okay guys - long story short: So now we have the complete picture - Wolverine carshed the Space/Time-continuum. This leads to a colapse of the system, the bleeding and the incursions. We know that the Ultimate Universe is hit by the events of Infinity and we know that Spidey 2099 is coming back as well as there are many storylines with messed up timelines - Captain Marvel, Fantastic Four, Hulk etc. coming up or running. Why does my nerd sense tingle and tell me that we will get a bit more interaction between timelines and parallel worlds in the next year? Maybe a Rebooted Ultimate Universe as hinted before? Damn it all flows so well and all this build up right under our nose - it seems like infinity will be at least well thought out

8bit

Knows the Score
RYFH

http://www.licensemag.com/license-global/sanrio-makes-hello-kitty-super-hero

Lombaszko

My local shop had ZERO shelf copies of Orion #21 yesterday afternoon, so I gotta take a walk at lunch and pick it up. Can't wait to read that and Mara #5 when I get a chance.

kswiston

New Avengers #7 is fucking high-level mindgames. Like, I'm pretty sure Reed knows better than to straight-up lie to Doom, but also that's totally the kind of thing he could be super fucking dumb about. But why would you fuck with Doom?

I think they are arrogant because they know that they collectively outclass doom in about every way. What can he realistically do about the situation? Blackbolt, Namor, and Black Panther are all monarchs of very powerful nations/peoples. Dr Strange and Reed are his equal in magic and science. And then you can throw in Iron Man and Beast for good measure. I think that the council of Reeds was a good demonstration of what would happen to Doom if Reed was less noble, and more like him.

Not to say the arrogance won't bite them in the ass. I'm expecting Cap to figure out what happened to him at some point.

I am interested in the implications of AOU but man what a complete waste of time and money that whole thing was...

What gets me is that they really could have told this story in four issues. And issue 10, while being the most entertaining issue of the series, somehow managed to feel rushed?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
The problem with AoU is that all the implications could have happened at the end of any of the other currently running books that feature time travel in some form. The last few pages could have potentially exciting payoffs, but are completely disconnected from what actually happens in the book, which makes the whole thing feel rather pointless.

FoneBone

The problem with AoU is that all the implications could have happened at the end of any of the other currently running books that feature time travel in some form. The last few pages could have potentially exciting payoffs, but are completely disconnected from what actually happens in the book, which makes the whole thing feel rather pointless.

Same issue as with Flashpoint - the ramifications are that "time travel fucks things up", but none of those ramifications are connected to the specifics of the altered reality in the story.

I'm still a little baffled as to why so many bought into AoU, if we already knew going in that it was an event that had missed its chance at relevance but one that Marvel felt it had to put out because of the work already sunk into it.

How does that sound appealing?

(has skipped more Marvel events since 2000 than you'd probably think.)

I'm still a little baffled as to why so many bought into AoU, if we already knew going in that it was an event that had missed its chance at relevance but one that Marvel felt it had to put out because of the work already sunk into it.

Because Bryan Hitch drew half of it. For me at least.

Once I got through those issues, I just wanted to see what happened, and more incredible moments like "Luke Cage Died On His Way To His Home Planet".

Because Bryan Hitch drew half of it. For me at least.

Once I got through those issues, I just wanted to see what happened, and more incredible moments like "Luke Cage Died On His Way To His Home Planet".
I did that with Johns' Green Lantern for waaaaaaaaaay longer than I should have, simply because Doug Mahnke was drawing it. But I don't think I'll be doing that again any time soon; in fact I'm trying to think of an artist that would make me do that again, and so far I'm coming up blank.

snorggy

In my defence, this was my first Marvel Event since Civil War so I guess I gave them the benefit of the doubt? I dunno... I'll be a lot more wary of future events now though.

I did that with Johns' Green Lantern for waaaaaaaaaay longer than I should have, simply because Doug Mahnke was drawing it. But I don't think I'll be doing that again any time soon; in fact I'm trying to think of an artist that would make me do that again, and so far I'm coming up blank.

I remember my last Green Lantern. That awful fill in issue after Nu52. That's when I was like "Oh wait. This is a terrible book. The book I loved is gone."

Better yet, kill Rogue. She's awful.

I was onboard for UA the last few issues, but this one looked ugly and was really wordy without having much of anything to say.

what in the hell!? she's the only reason to buy that book *totally biased
and when was Rogue awful before Marvel Now? that crappy AvX stuff that took over when Carey left the book? I still didn't read after the bomb guy or whatever..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom