• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2013. Nothing can stop the Juggernaut! ...except E3 BREAKING NEWS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaxword

Even if you liked or disliked Age of Ultron, I think we can all agree on one thing: The fallout definitely set up a bunch of interesting situations.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Even if you liked or disliked Age of Ultron, I think we can all agree on one thing: The fallout definitely set up a bunch of interesting situations.

Which is about all you can say about it other than Cap and the Avengers sat on their asses for 5 issues and then were marginalized for the rest of the book by Wolverine.

NEO0MJ

Captain Marvel. So good.

Eh, from the previews i saw I don't like the artwork. Plus I usually prefer to wait on new stuff and see how they go. Plus, she stole DC Captain Marvel's name and now he's cursed as SHAZAM :mad:

Hmm off the top of my head:
Zatanna by Paul Dini
Ms. Marvel

Do you mean the latest Ms.Marvel run as captain Marvel or something different? Might take a look at Zatanna. Looks like there's only two trades. does it end in a cliffhanger?

Oh, I just remembered there was a She-Hulk run I heard about before. How good was it?

Tizoc

Eh, from the previews i saw I don't like the artwork. Plus I usually prefer to wait on new stuff and see how they go. Plus, she stole DC Captain Marvel's name and now he's cursed as SHAZAM :mad:

Do you mean the latest Ms.Marvel run as captain Marvel or something different? Might take a look at Zatanna. Looks like there's only two trades. does it end in a cliffhanger?

Oh, I just remembered there was a She-Hulk run I heard about before. How good was it?

Ah sorry I meant the Brian Reed run of Ms. Marvel!

She-Hulk had a great run by Dan Slott, one of his better series IMO.

Other titles to check out:
Batgirl Year One
Batgirl by Bryan Q. Millar
Batman: The Bat and the cat

Splatt

Cqbrj11.png

need some suggestions for books staring female heroes. The only comics I read starring female heroes are Gray/Palmiotti Power Girl and new 52 wonder Woman and batwoman.

Byrne's run on She-Hulk is also generally well-praised. Like you, I enjoy reading titles with strong female leads. As there are few to be found, I often find respite in ensemble series with good female characters.

In other news, I was hoping to drop Cable and X-Force after #10 but dammit, I've grown rather fond of this team. Domino is particularly badass.

BearChair

Are there any good cyberpunk comics out there other than Ghost in the Shell, Tsutomo Nihei's work, Big City, Akira and Transmetropolitan?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Someone please explain how ANXM works in light of this sliding timescale of continuity thing.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/06/21/the-marvel-sliding-timescale-of-continuity/

Sounds like the article is asking for a huge Marvel Zero Year type arc. Although we did sort of get that already with the Ultimate Universe.

Keep in mind the X-Men are a whole other thing since they're like the only book that has had the characters age a whole lot. Cyke went from 15 to 30.

tim1138

Sounds like the article is asking for a huge Marvel Zero Year type arc. Although we did sort of get that already with the Ultimate Universe.

Keep in mind the X-Men are a whole other thing since they're like the only book that has had the characters age a whole lot. Cyke went from 15 to 30.

So since I only read ANXM and UXM I will just ignore this. Works for me!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So since I only read ANXM and UXM I will just ignore this. Works for me!

Pretty much. Continuity timelines don't really matter until they do and Marvel doesn't seem interesting in updating their origins, that said none of their origins would be changed by placing them in a different decade.

tim1138

Pretty much. Continuity timelines don't really matter until they do and Marvel doesn't seem interesting in updating their origins, that said none of their origins would be changed by placing them in a different decade.

Origins, no. But trying to fit the X-Men history into 8 years or whatever gives me a headache thinking about it.

iVFbnbD.jpg

http://marvel.com/news/story/20792/helpmolly_locate_avengers_arena

As readers have watched the teen heroes of AVENGERS ARENA battle, struggle and in some cases fall over the last seven months, one question has come up time and again: When will the rest of the Marvel Universe react?

On August 14 in AVENGERS ARENA #13, guest writer Christos Gage steps in to help provide an answer.

The writer of AVENGERS ACADEMY, Gage has more than a vested interest in the cast of AVENGERS ARENA, which includes characters he shepherded such as Reptil and X-23, not to mention one of his own co-creations, Hazmat. Joined by artistic collaborator Karl Moline, Gage will explore what has been going on outside Murder World and how characters like Academy founder Hank Pym and Molly Hayes on the Runaways have been dealing with the loss of their friends and charges plus what they plan to do about it.
Marvel.com: What has been going on with the Academy since Arcade kidnapped the kids?

Christos Gage: Keep in mind it’s only been about two weeks. Since the full-time students graduated in the final issue of AVENGERS ACADEMY—available in handsome collected editions as well as digitally!—Avengers Academy has become less a boarding school and more like a community college or continuing education facility, where young heroes come in for short periods to study specific things, like hand to hand combat or flying or whatever, but most of the time they’re out in the world doing heroic stuff and living their lives. So it’s not as if anyone was plucked from the tight-knit group we saw when the Academy students were all living together. When I spoke to Bill about this story, the main thing I insisted on was that no one realizes the missing kids are missing. Because let’s face it, if the Avengers know these kids they took under their wing to train have been kidnapped, and they’re not out there looking for them with all of Iron Man’s tech and Dr. Strange’s magic and so on, then the Avengers are colossal jerks. So what we see is that Arcade has planned everything very carefully. The people who are supposed to notice when folks like Hazmat and Kid Briton go missing think they know exactly where they are.

You can aid in the youngest Runaway’s search for her surrogate family by using the hash tag #HelpMolly on Twitter; here at Marvel.com, we will be tracking tips and thoughts for inclusion in upcoming issues of AVENGERS ARENA.
Something tells me this issue's gonna be a heartbreaker. :(

kswiston

If Bendis was a better scenario writer, he'd have done some basic math and realized that the original X-Men would have been pulled from the mid-late 90s based on their age vs the age of the future counterparts. You can't keep them in the 1960s and not have their current counterparts be senior citizens. I roll my eyes whenever one of the ANXM characters is mystified by a cell phone, or other piece of technology that was widespread 15-20 years ago. I'm around the same age as the current X-Men. We had cellphones in when I was in high school. They were just less common and obviously not the minicomputers of today. The same jokes could have been made with more suitable subjects like tablets or youtube.

Other than that small quibble, I have been enjoying both ANXM and Uncanny.

Oh man, that issue of Avengers Arena. Feels will be had.

I'm really surprised by how much I like this series. Hopeless has made it more than the meatgrinder I thought it would be.

Vibranium

Banned
Next week marks the end of Jeph Loeb's epic run on Nova. Cant wait for the retrospective articles.

Can't wait for the retrospective articles when Loeb's groundbreaking run on Marvel Animated Television ends as well...

Anyways, super pumped for Hawkeye #11 and Pizza Dog being the star. I hope Fraction does cool things with Kazi in future issues as well, he did a hell of a job making a sympathetic "villain" without any superpowered hi-jinks at all.

Tizoc

Only a handful of books for me this week but they were all good:

Wonder Woman #21
RiP Lennox, I may have disliked you the most, but you didn't deserve that.
I like how Orion still wants dat Wonder ass.

Invincible 103
Come on Kirkman, don't kill the little guy, ENOUGH TRAGIDIES!
...and lol @ Cannibalistic Invincible

Sonic Universe 52
D83D5Sx.jpg

I have like 20 pulls next week...... gotdamn

Pffft. I'm closer to 30. Fuck. But that's almost everything I read.

I only have one book coming out the week after, so I'm going to split it down the middle and just pick up the rest then. Because fuck buying $100 worth of comics in one day. :p

Tizoc

Hmm I should give it another go as I didn't like the first few issues.

...and btw...WHERE IS MY NEW ORC STAIN ISSUE DAMNIT!

After watching the Dark Knight Return again, i was wondering how come the world trusts Superman while he is an American soldier? It does not seem that there is any problem trusting him. At least like 90% of nations in comics trust him.

After watching the Dark Knight Return again, i was wondering how come the world trusts Superman while he is an American soldier? It does not seem that there is any problem trusting him. At least like 90% of nations in comics trust him.

People tend to trust those in power or with power quicker than their equals. Like wise people tend to turn against those in power or with power quicker when they misuse them.

I think it's one of those things that you have to just ignore that is part of comics. When you actually break down most comic tropes they wouldn't survive a conversion to realism.

In comic terms, alot of the other major super powers end up creating their own super teams; DC has stuff like China's "Great Ten" for example.

Finished Remender's run on the Punisher and then dove straight through the entire Shadowland event (with all the tie-ins).

Shadowland was pure poop, and that's coming from a lifelong Daredevil fan. Poor pacing, weak plot, bad character interactions...you name it. The only positive was DD looks killer in the all black getup. God bless Marvel Unlimited for saving me cash on it.

Just got of the PAD/Todd Nauck Young Justice issues off ebay today, that'll have me occupied until i get to one of the issues that the lot didn't include, after which i'll have to track down the back issues somewhere. Wish my shops out here had a bigger back catalog.

Just got of the PAD/Todd Nauck Young Justice issues off ebay today, that'll have me occupied until i get to one of the issues that the lot didn't include, after which i'll have to track down the back issues somewhere. Wish my shops out here had a bigger back catalog.

I always wanted to go back and get the ones I'm missing from that comic.

jaxword

In the real world, we have figures who have managed to cultivate an image of trustworthiness and being "good" people. Most successful political and religious leaders are this type, regardless of who they are behind closed doors.

Example: Reagan, with his "affable old Grandpa" role, is still beloved, despite, like all presidents, having dirty hands and lots of lives ruined on their watch.

Or Mother Theresa. Or Bono from U2.

Point is that there's lots of people who are scum or could be scum, but their public image is so powerfully done that people will make them beloved gods.

Controversial opinion: I REALLY don't like Francavilla's art. It feels so... Sloppy. Like he can't be bothered to do more than a rough single pass.

Really hurt Batwoman for me this week.

WorldStar

Banned
so I just started reading the nu52 Wonder Woman...damn is it good

Never read Wonder Woman in the past,
but has there always been such a huge emphasis on Greek mythology, or is that something introduced with nu52? Loving that aspect of it.

Lothars

I just finished reading Uncanny Avengers #9 and I really hate Wanda as a character anymore, I wish they would make her dissapear she is really just a terrible character.

I also really dislike Captain America in that book as well, just really bad especially when in his own book he's way better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom