• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2013. Nothing can stop the Juggernaut! ...except E3 BREAKING NEWS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
so I just started reading the nu52 Wonder Woman...damn is it good

Never read Wonder Woman in the past,
but has there always been such a huge emphasis on Greek mythology, or is that something introduced with nu52? Loving that aspect of it.

Mostly a New 52 thing. As an Amazon she has always had a vague connection but she wasn't a child of Zeus before so didn't have a family connection to the Pantheon.

Tizoc

Mostly a New 52 thing. As an Amazon she has always had a vague connection but she wasn't a child of Zeus before so didn't have a family connection to the Pantheon.

Pretty sure there some writers who utilized Greek Mythology in her stories, like in Greg Rucka's run.

Savitar

She even had a friend during Ruka's run who was a minotaur...who I think started to date one of his co workers in the employee of Diana. She was actually trying to do the whole ambassador thing if I recall right with a proper staff etc.

Owzers

Reading Wolverine and the X-Men backlog today off the back of Morning Glories catch-up. Issue #24's art was not very good in a few panels involving kitty/bobby's date.

Dysun

I just finished reading Uncanny Avengers #9 and I really hate Wanda as a character anymore, I wish they would make her dissapear she is really just a terrible character.

I also really dislike Captain America in that book as well, just really bad especially when in his own book he's way better.

They should send Wonder Man and Wasp away too, such fucking downers

akira28

Yeah I didn't really miss Janet. "Hey lets get Wasp to shoot someone in the eye, or fly into someone's nose, or catch something really important before it falls to the ground."

Tizoc

So I JUST discovered Gutters:
http://www.the-gutters.com/archive
Too freakin' good and a great look back at old comic events and directions

avengers_emh__wasp_by_ryehex16-d4fhyp2.jpg

Best Wasp~

Valravn

Just saw some stuff from Justice League 3000. Does DC get off redesigns or something?
Superman looks like Kid Omega minus the pink hair.

Its Sunday, ill get the party started. List!

DC

Batman Superman #1
Catwoman #21
Green Team #2
Justice League of America #5
Wake #2

Dark Horse

The Last of Us #3

Fatale #15
Jupiters Legacy #2

Marvel

X-Men #2

frye

Just saw some stuff from Justice League 3000. Does DC get off redesigns or something?
Superman looks like Omega Kid minus the pink hair.

tbf, the JL3000 Superman is actually based on Kal Kent/Superman from the 853rd Century who shows up in DC One Million and All-Star.

Read Suicide Risk #1 and American Vampire The Long Road to Hell, and found both to be pretty mediocre. Then decided to catch up on the FCBD pick-ups that I have yet to read and to that end read It Girl and the Atomics #2, which was a bore. Also read Unknown Soldier number 7 from four years ago that one of my local shops was handing out during FCBD for some reason. Damn, is that one heavy. Good, I guess, but don't need to spend more time in that world. Luckily, I cleansed the palate with Baltimore The Inquisitor. Now, that book caught my attention. I would certainly like to pick up more from the series. And it's got me thinking of perhaps giving Abe Sapien, also written by Mike Mignola, a try.

Suicide Risk mediocre? What?????

I thought so. Some of the ideas are interesting, as are some of the villains' powers, but not enough to hook me to the series. And something about the writing bugged me. The dialogue and characters fell flat.
What annoyed me the most was near the end when Hailey didn't have a good gun and had forgotten to take the safety off. Really? With all the money they've earned, they should have good guns as well as bodyguards. And I didn't like how Hailey was written in general or her dialogue ("Sumbag!" "Dirtbag!"). A bit nitpicky, I guess but it just didn't play for me.

Owzers

Lemme know how it works out for you. I've been thinking of doing that for a while.

Do you get monthly or weekly deliveries?

monthly here:

pros:

money saved
they pack their shipments well
if you have problems they are great at addressing it

cons

monthly shipping is a long wait XO, you could go weekly though
pre-ordering 3 months in advance gets you Bendis-ed

for both pro and con, if you want to add something to your order past the order date, i've mostly had an easy time doing so as long as dcbs is still able to order copies, some of the Image books have been problematic with this. Make sure to order what you want.

Time to post your ridiculously massive lists.

Last of Us: American Dreams #3
Massive #13
Aquaman #21
Unwritten #50
The Wake #2
TMNT #23
Elephantmen #49
Fatale #15
Jupiter's Legacy #2
Lazarus #1
Morning Glories #28
Prophet #36
Sex #4
All-New X-Men #13
Daredevil #27
Deadpool #12
FF #8
Guardians of the Galaxy #4
Hawkeye #11
Journey Into Mystery #653
Nova #5
Powers Bureau #5
Ultimate Comics: X-Men #28
Uncanny X-Force #7
Uncanny X-Men #7
Wolverine and the X-Men #32
X-Men #2

Owzers

About what percentage off of list price do you save overall?

All Marvel/DC/Image/Dark Horse books are 40% off, the smaller publishers are about 30-35% off. Lately the've had all dc and marvel trades at 50% off, so i get a few like this cycle, Avengers Endless Wartime OGN, Hawkeye OHC , and they had Hellboy OGN Midnight Circus half off. Then i grabbed Infinity #1, Sidekick #1, and Trillium #1 at 50% off since they have most #1s on special discounts. Apart from that, about 40 more single issues from those 4 publishers at 40% off each, then $7 for shipping and another $4ish for bags and boards which are optional, but they charge 12 cents per comic for.

All Marvel/DC/Image/Dark Horse books are 40% off, the smaller publishers are about 30-35% off. Lately the've had all dc and marvel trades at 50% off, so i get a few like this cycle, Avengers Endless Wartime OGN, Hawkeye OHC , and they had Hellboy OGN Midnight Circus half off. Then i grabbed Infinity #1, Sidekick #1, and Trillium #1 at 50% off since they have most #1s on special discounts. Apart from that, about 40 more single issues from those 4 publishers at 40% off each, then $7 for shipping and another $4ish for bags and boards which are optional, but they charge 12 cents per comic for.

Do you have to pay for your order up front, or do they charge when they ship?

tim1138

All Star Western #21
All New X-Men #13
Aquaman #21
Flash #21
Green Team #2
Justice League #21
Justice League Dark #21
Justice League of America #5
Uncanny X-Men #7

All New X-men #13
Batman/Superman #1
Daredevil #27
Indestructible Hulk #9 (missed last week)
New Avengers #7 (missed last week)
Nova #5
Uncanny X-men #7
Uncanny Avengers #9 (missed last week)
X-men #2

DAMN

wetflame

Pizza Dog
All these early lists! I used to look forward to doing them on a Monday while at work.

This week's a knockout:

Hawkeye #11
FF #8
Avengers Arena #11
Daredevil #27

X-Men #2
Sex #4
All-New X-Men #13
Uncanny X-Men #7
The Unwritten #50
Five Ghosts: The Haunting of Fabian Gray #4
Deadpool #12
Fatale #15
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #23

Really looking forward to this week. I have another avatar change picked out for when Hawkeye comes around already.

Im sorry I started it early. I didnt know Mondays were the day. Sunday is a big couch day in my household and I have a stack of books next to me with me PS3 contoller and TV remote and I finished off all my books and looked at my pull list and got excited.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Im sorry I started it early. I didnt know Mondays were the day. Sunday is a big couch day in my household and I have a stack of books next to me with me PS3 contoller and TV remote and I finished off all my books and looked at my pull list and got excited.

Haha, it's fine. On a week like this it's pretty easy to get excited about your pull list!

If you had told me a few months ago that Avengers Arena was going to be a top shelf Marvel book, I would have laughed at you. Hopeless is in beast mode.

tim1138

So I just read JLA #4 where
Catwoman is killed. Does anyone think thats just it or does the cat have more of her 9 lives left?

Based off interviews and solicitations, I'm guessing she is dead but will come back via magic or that serum Waller has in Suicide Squad

There isn't actually any specific day. I was just razzing you. I didn't actually mean any of what I said. ;)

My list this week:

Adventures Of Superman #2 (Loving this so far!)
All-Star Western #21
Aquaman #21
Batman Superman #1 (Looking forward to seeing how this is)
Batman The Dark Knight #21
Catwoman #21 (Lol why am I still getting this?)
Flash #21
Green Team Teen Trillionaires #2 (Excited to see how this continues, it had a great start!)
Justice League #21
Justice League Dark #21
Justice League Of America #5
Larfleeze #1 (Fuck yeah Larfleeze)
Red Lanterns #21
Superman #21
Talon #9
Teen Titans #21

Is this topic for discussion about independent comic Kickstarters too? Or just the "big" companies?

All comics all the time.

There's a pretty cool Kickstarter for an independent comic by Alex Woolfson (he wrote Artifice), with pencils by Adam DeKraker and colors by Veronica Gandini. It's called The Young Protectors.

I haven't really been into comics for a long time, but this comic really got me back on board. (The release one page a week for free, but the Kickstarter is for a printed version.) It's doing really well too, it made it's funding in under a day and is now in the top 20 most funded comics. And the fact that it's a series that stars a gay hero (and villain) is really awesome.

It's on it's last day if anyone wants to check it out. I just think it's really cool to see a project like this get so much support when the "big guys" probably wouldn't of given it the time of day, or would of told them to water it down considerably.

Here's a link:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/alexwoolfson/the-young-protectors-vol-1-0

There's a pretty cool Kickstarter for an independent comic by Alex Woolfson (he wrote Artifice), with pencils by Adam DeKraker and colors by Veronica Gandini. It's called The Young Protectors.

I think I heard something about that on Bleeding Cool last week.

And the fact that it's a series that stars a gay hero (and villain) is really awesome.

Oh yeah, that book. I don't know, if you're specifically pointing out the sexual preferences of key characters as a selling point to the book, isn't it just pandering?

I'm not saying it can't be a solid book. Just that it comes off as being gimmicky like a Nintendo controller.

Oh yeah, that book. I don't know, if you're specifically pointing out the sexual preferences of key characters as a selling point to the book, isn't it just pandering?

I'm not saying it can't be a solid book. Just that it comes off as being gimmicky like a Nintendo controller.
The whole reason he started the series was because there was nothing like this that star a gay character. It's very much intentional, but I'd hardly call it gimmicky.

Gay characters in superhero comics are almost always relegated to the sidelines or given stereotypical storylines. This isn't like this at all. The first 20 or so pages might make you think otherwise, as some sort of typical "outing" story, but it really changes into something quite interesting and unique IMO.

Last of Us American Dreams #3
Larfleeze #1 (First ever lantern comic. I hear this is a fun character)
Lazarus #1 (Most excited about this one)
Sex #4
X-Men #2
Atomic Robo Savage Sword of Dr Dinosaur #1 (Been wanting to try Atomic Robo and jumping on this mini is a way to do it)
Suicide Squad #21 (late pick up)

In the maybe-depending-on-availability-and-my-mood-at-the-time column
Mars Attacks one-shot
Mouse Guard Legends of the Guard #1
The Malevolent Mr. Burns #1
True Swamp Stoneground & Hillbound

Also gonna grab up She-Hulk Diaries from the book store tomorrow, assuming they have it.

Best GAF, I'm looking for some help adding new books to my Comixology read list.

Currently, I read:
Daredevil (lifelong favorite Marvel character)
Astro City
Saga
Locke & Key
Batman
Hawkeye
Avengers Arena
X-Men

I'm highly considering one or several of the following:
Uncanny Avengers
New Avengers
Avengers
Captain America
Cable and the X-Force
Thor
Captain Marvel
Thunderbolts (solely based on my love of the Punisher)

Any of those stand out as must-reads? I understand why Marvel is slapping the word "Avengers" on everything, but are they worth looking into?

Anything else I should be considering. As you can see, I steer 99% Marvel. Not interested in Spock, or anything by Land (sorry Iron Man).

Cant go wrong with Captian America or THor. consistanly great

New Avengers is pretty epic itself

on the subject of gay heroes. id ahrdly call Batwomen or Hulkling/wiccan on the back seat

Uncanny Avengers - This hasn't reached Uncanny X-Force level yet and it is questionable if it will ever reach it.
New Avengers - Great series with high concepts and focuses on the team's relationships.
Avengers - Good series, sacrifices characterization for plot.
Captain America - Great series, Remender has hit it out of the park and the story hasn't even reached the climax yet.
Cable and the X-Force - Haven't read it :/
Thor - Jason Aaron and Esid Ribic are absolute perfection on this title.
Captain Marvel - Be sure you know what your getting into art wise.
Thunderbolts - Don't read, but heard bad things.

The whole reason he started the series was because there was nothing like this that star a gay character. It's very much intentional, but I'd hardly call it gimmicky.

Gay characters in superhero comics are almost always relegated to the sidelines or given stereotypical storylines. This isn't like this at all. The first 20 or so pages might make you think otherwise, as some sort of typical "outing" story, but it really changes into something quite interesting and unique IMO.

Any lesbian characters in this?

Cant go wrong with Captian America or THor. consistanly great

New Avengers is pretty epic itself

Uncanny Avengers - This hasn't reached Uncanny X-Force level yet and it is questionable if it will ever reach it.
New Avengers - Great series with high concepts and focuses on the team's relationships.
Avengers - Good series, sacrifices characterization for plot.
Captain America - Great series, Remender has hit it out of the park and the story hasn't even reached the climax yet.
Cable and the X-Force - Haven't read it :/
Thor - Jason Aaron and Esid Ribic are absolute perfection on this title.
Captain Marvel - Be sure you know what your getting into art wise.
Thunderbolts - Don't read, but heard bad things.

Thanks! Definitely going to check out Captain America, New Avengers, and Thor.

I was solely interested in UA because of Remender, but it sounds like the Cap is the way to go with him right now. I read the first issue of Avengers and thought it was diluted somewhat with too many characters. I'll keep my eyes on it but pass for now.

I just glanced over some previews/reviews for Captain Marvel and Thunderbolts and I'll skip those unless someone has something super positive to say about them. The artwork in the former is not my style.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Thanks! Definitely going to check out Captain America, New Avengers, and Thor.

I was solely interested in UA because of Remender, but it sounds like the Cap is the way to go with him right now. I read the first issue of Avengers and thought it was diluted somewhat with too many characters. I'll keep my eyes on it but pass for now.

I just glanced over some previews/reviews for Captain Marvel and Thunderbolts and I'll skip those unless someone has something super positive to say about them. The artwork in the former is not my style.

Yea, the Captain Marvel artwork takes some getting used to. It's a pretty good story though, you are right in skipping Thunderbolts though. It's crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom