• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2013. Nothing can stop the Juggernaut! ...except E3 BREAKING NEWS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
so I just started reading the nu52 Wonder Woman...damn is it good

Never read Wonder Woman in the past,
but has there always been such a huge emphasis on Greek mythology, or is that something introduced with nu52? Loving that aspect of it.
Golden- and Silver- Age WW paid lip service to it for the most part, and used a jumble of Greek and Roman mythologies applied unevenly and interchangeably. For example, Mars and his children were some of Wonder Woman's earliest foes aside from Nazis and mobsters. But George Perez's reboot in the 80s was heavily rooted in Greek mythology, with the Olympic pantheon taking a direct hand in Diana's origins and making frequent appearances over the course of his run. In particular, Hermes became a major supporting character, more so than Steve Trevor in fact, and played a pivotal role in several story lines. The thing is, at that time the Olympians were very traditional in their depiction, very "togas and sandals" by design. Perez's take was very safe in retrospect, and pretty much what one would expect the Olympic gods to look like in the 1980s: museum statues come to life.

f7JIKO1.jpg
IE6hZd4.jpg
When Greg Rucka took over the series years later, the Olympians once again became major characters in Diana's life. Only this time, some of them looked a little... different. And there was a definite reason for that:
the younger Olympians had changed with the times, finding ways to maintain and grow their power by adapting to modern man's beliefs and culture. Ares, for example, had restyled himself as simply a god of conflict; Athena, as goddess of wisdom, became exponentially more powerful thanks to modern science, technology and reason. The old gods, on the other hand, were stuck in their old roles, and found their powers waning as a result of their inability to change. This ultimately leads to (SPOILER ALERT!) the overthrow of Zeus and Hades by Athena and Ares, setting up a new status quo for the Olympians.

I honestly don't know what Gail Simone was trying to do with the Olympians. When DC decided they were going to soft-reboot WW coming out of Infinite Crisis, Rucka left because their ideas involved getting rid of Themiscyra, the Pantheon, the ambassadorship, et cetera et cetera.... you know, everything that Rucka had spent the last three years working on. A couple of years and like five writers later, Gail Simone came on as writer, and she ended up bringing most of those elements back including the Olympians... on a cosmic starship, wearing matching S.H.I.E.L.D. jumpsuits.

...I don't know.

Acid08

Banned
Thanks! Definitely going to check out Captain America, New Avengers, and Thor.

I was solely interested in UA because of Remender, but it sounds like the Cap is the way to go with him right now. I read the first issue of Avengers and thought it was diluted somewhat with too many characters. I'll keep my eyes on it but pass for now.

I just glanced over some previews/reviews for Captain Marvel and Thunderbolts and I'll skip those unless someone has something super positive to say about them. The artwork in the former is not my style.
Captain Marvel is a solid book. Not great but not bad.

kswiston

Just finished reading the tail end of Remender's Venom run after dropping off at issue 14 last year. Flash really gets put through the wringer in that book...

Owzers

Good comixology sale:

Fraction stuff, his Iron Fist run and the first few issues of Hawkguy.

Brandon Graham sale: Multiple warheads mini and the first issue is free, go go go

Also his Prophet run so far and King City. How was king city, worth getting?

Acid08

Banned
Good comixology sale:

Fraction stuff, his Iron Fist run and the first few issues of Hawkguy.

Brandon Graham sale: Multiple warheads mini and the first issue is free, go go go

Also his Prophet run so far and King City. How was king city, worth getting?
King City is fucking awesome, it's a must buy.

Owzers

Also...is anyone keeping up with Unwritten? I stopped reading after the second trade, though i own through vol 6. I thought it was great up till then, i need something to pad an instocktrades order of Hellboy library six and the last two Izombie trades for free shipping:

Is volume 7 of Unwritten still good stuff?

Picked up both Criminal hcs and damn its good stuff. Just finished The Sinners...I want more!

Have you looked into Fatale by Brubaker for Image? It's good, though different.

wow a good comixology monday sale. Its Matt Fraction Marvel sale!

Hawkguy 1-5
Defenders 1-12
Immortal Iron Fist 1-16 & annual
The Order 1-12

Hawkeye & Iron Fist are of course must owns. And I thought the Order was an underrated and fun series

Hawkeye #11
Scarlet Spider #18
Star Wars Legacy #4
The Wake #2
X-Men #2
Young Avengers #6

Also have GL: New Guardians and Supergirl #21 from last week. I might pick up Lazarus if the shop has any when i get there.

One of my bigger pull weeks for being a casual reader.

X-Week List

All-New X-Men #13
Uncanny X-Men #7
Wolverine and the X-Men #32
X-Men #2
Captain America #8
Hawkeye #11
Young Avengers #6

I might check out Batman/Superman depending on reviews.

Veelk

Banned
When Greg Rucka took over the series years later, the Olympians once again became major characters in Diana's life. Only this time, some of them looked a little... different. And there was a definite reason for that:
the younger Olympians had changed with the times, finding ways to maintain and grow their power by adapting to modern man's beliefs and culture. Ares, for example, had restyled himself as simply a god of conflict; Athena, as goddess of wisdom, became exponentially more powerful thanks to modern science, technology and reason. The old gods, on the other hand, were stuck in their old roles, and found their powers waning as a result of their inability to change. This ultimately leads to (SPOILER ALERT!) the overthrow of Zeus and Hades by Athena and Ares, setting up a new status quo for the Olympians.

I recently read Rucka's run on WW. It was so fucking awesome. He had so many plothreads going, and most of them interesting. I wanted to see what Ares' long term plan was so damn badly. I can't believe he got kicked off. I can't believe DC screwed him out of the Earth One thing. Was his work not selling well or something? I have no idea how anyone at DC could look at his work and say "This is crap, we need someone new"

snorggy

Comixology is the Steam of comics... I have such a huge backlog of stuff to read thanks to sales.. adding Immortal Iron Fist to it now :p

Lombaszko

I should have known from everyone else's huge week, damn!
All Star Western #21
Aquaman #21
The Flash #21
Jupiters Legacy #2
Justice League #21
Justice League of American #5
Superman #21
The Wake #2
(That's big for me!)

What's in the lot?

This is a Sale for a big Legion of Super Heroes Collection.

Legion of Superheroes - The Great Darkness Saga Original Comics issues 290-294

Legion Of Superheroes - series 5- issues 1 to 50 no missing issues

Legion of Superheroes -series 6- issues 1-16 plus annual #1

Legion of Superheroes- series 7- issues 0-20

ACTION COMICS issues 858-863 (SUPERMAN AND LEGION OF SUPERHEROES STORYLINE)

FINAL CRISIS LEGION OF THREE WORLDS ISSUES 1 TO 5 all issues are near mint Plus Showcase Presents Legion of Super Heroes 1-4

How could I not bid on that even if it fell through?

LIST!

Marvel:
Age of Ultron #10 A.I. (this is a maybe, depending on reviews)
All New X-Men #13
Avengers Arena #11
Daredevil #27
Guardians of the Galaxy #4
Hawkeye #11
Scarlet Spider #18
Uncanny X-Men #7
X-Men #2
Young Avengers #6

DC:
Batman/Superman #1
Justice League #21
Justice League Dark #21
Justice League of America #5
Larfleeze #1
The Unwritten #50

Indies:
Masks #8 of 8 (Dynamite)
Doctor Who: Prisoners of Time #6 of 12 (IDW, fuck yeah Sixth Doctor!)
Star Trek Ongoing #22 (IDW)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #23 (IDW)

Yikes. Will have to delay some of these to next week I think.

kswiston

Huge week for me:

- Batman/Superman #1 (trying to check out a few more DC titles)
- Justice League of America #5
- Jupiter's Legacy #2 (maybe. I might just trade wait for this)
- All New X-Men #13
- Avengers Arena #11
- Captain America #8
- Daredevil #27
- FF #8
- Hawkeye #11
- Uncanny X-Force #7
- Uncanny X-Men #7
- Wolverine and the X-Men #32
- X-Men #2
- Young Avengers #6

Pretty much every X-title and every marvel solo title I read is out this week. I'm still trying to trim down my Marvel list but not having much luck. I think that Uncanny X-Force and Young Avengers are candidates unless I start to enjoy the next issue or two more than I have been.

akira28

I have 3 years worth of comics in a box, in a garage guarded by wasps. And spiders. I wish the Legion trans-suit was a real thing.

Dead

well not really...yet
If ever there was anything that screamed to me "DO NOT BUY THIS COMIC" it would be the fact that there is a fill-in artist in the first issue....shameful

Eh. I dropped it.

Made me sad.

Why? I think it's been a really good Psylocke character study following her action in the first volume of uncanny x-force and I'm appreciating the rehabilitation of Bishop who got shat on by the whole Second Coming stuff. The book's all about second chances or reinventing yourself, which I find compelling in the X-verse.

Quake1028

DC COMICS
THE WAKE #2

IMAGE COMICS
FIVE GHOSTS HAUNTING OF FABIAN GRAY #4
LOST VEGAS #4

MARVEL COMICS
ALL NEW X-MEN #13
CAPTAIN AMERICA #8
DAREDEVIL #27
FF #8
HAWKEYE #11
UNCANNY X-MEN #7

Can't read lol.

This week is a wallet buster

Aquaman
superman/batman
larflezze

All new x-men
avengers arena
Captian America
Daredevil
FF
Jouney into mystery
Hawkeye
X-men

Tizoc

Still the best Justice League run of all time IMO, and the best part?
The name of Judeo-Christian God means "I am"; Darkseid Is.
f4Tr1FT.jpg

VHZl0p3.jpg

I love that Darkseid has his own ring announcer to build him up with all these awesome lines like "Who is the rock and the chain and the lightning?"

As if suddenly appearing out a boom tube in a giant warship covered in 90s-esque Kirby Krackle just wasn't enough.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=46254

BOOM! Studios, the Eisner and Harvey Award-winning comic book and graphic novel publisher and two-time winner of Diamond Comics Distributors’ prestigious “Best Publisher” Gem Award, has merged with Eisner and Harvey Award-winning Archaia Entertainment, the publisher of graphic novels including Mouse Guard, A Tale of Sand, Rust, Spera, Cowboy, and Gunnerkrigg Court. BOOM! Studios will be the surviving company and the Archaia brand shall be maintained as a distinct imprint of BOOM!.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I feel like the little narration box that says "And then Darkseid" isn't needed. It sort of takes away from the unmitigated awesomeness that is Darkseid's reveal on the next page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom