• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2013. Nothing can stop the Juggernaut! ...except E3 BREAKING NEWS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
X-Statix is really good? I've seen it recommended other place but it always looked kind of weird to me. Maybe it's the art style, I don't know. For $30 though...

Weird? It'd the definition of weird. It's also the definition of awesome. It's crazy insane that New X-men is constantly brought up (rightfully so) among talks of the best X-anything run while X-Statix/Force just has to be the book that looks weird to peeps.

30 bones is a steal for that gigantic collection of great stories.

First time posting on ComicGaf after lurking for a while! I guess it's list time, but i don't actually have anything coming out this week, though i'm behind a few weeks:

Star Wars: Legacy #3
Bounce #1
Young Avengers #5
Scarlet Spider #17
The Wake #1
GI Joe #4
Five Weapons #4
X-Men #1

I don't really have money for a large pull list. My shop isn't really great at picking up indie books for me, but it's fine otherwise and i don't exactly have a bunch of options in terms of LCSs.

I might also order the Solo HC.

If this sounds like what I think it does, then fuck Hopeless and this series. Seriously.

Honestly, so glad I don't haven't any investment in the characters in that series. I've yet to read a book that has made me rage and I'm not sure how I'd handle it.

Liking that Poison Ivy outfit.

Poison Ivy had one of the best redesigns this side of the New 52. It has looked mostly fantastic, aside from the few times it was drawn by artists who couldn't execute it.

sca2511

Poison Ivy had one of the best redesigns this side of the New 52. It has looked mostly fantastic, aside from the few times it was drawn by artists who couldn't execute it.

I don't remember seeing her wear it in the first New 52 Birds of Prey trade, so is it only in Detective Comics?

sca2511

Strange, I really don't remember her wearing the new outfit, must of slipped my mind.

bop1.jpg

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
So I'm guessing that what they heavily hinted would happen last issue happens in Avengers Arena #10?

I still want my X-Men #1 code, dang it!

It's not good.

Oh, and I just read AvX. Near the end, they really put an exclamation point on the problem I've always had with how characters who have normal durability are treated.
Hawkeye is standing between Thing and Thor when the three of them are hit with the same attack. Thing is knocked unconscious, Thor is still standing but barely and of course Hawkeye is KO'd but otherwise uninjured, lol.

What are the chances of some big omnibus editions of Geoff Johns Green Lantern run, now it is done?

I think there's good chance of something to come at some point, but given how long DC wait before releasing such works, I'd not expect something soon. I'd guess 2014 for a Volume One, if not later... I'm curious to see what comes first, a Grant Morrion's Batman, or Geoff John's Green Lantern. Both have all but concluded and were critically well-received.

dan2026

I think there's good chance of something to come at some point, but given how long DC wait before releasing such works, I'd not expect something soon. I'd guess 2014 for a Volume One, if not later... I'm curious to see what comes first, a Grant Morrion's Batman, or Geoff John's Green Lantern. Both have all but concluded and were critically well-received.

Yeah Grant's Batman would be awesome too.
Would be a huge collection though.

Any good Legion runs that I could try?

These four go together well:
Legion Secret Origin
Superman and the Legion of Superheroes by Geoff Johns. (AMAZING BOOK)
Legion of Super Heroes: The Choice
Legion of Super Heroes: Consequences

Then you have a different version of the Legion (get used to this concept) done by Mark Waid
Supergirl and the Legion of Superheroes Vol 1-5(?)

These are good nods to the Legions place in the DCU
Lightning Saga (Also JLA and JSA)
Great Darkness Saga
Final Crisis: Legion of Three World's.

And if you are feeling frisky, the old school Legion in the Archive Volumes. Early volumes are silver age goofiness, but the later ones are more "modern"

Not gonna lie, Legion is tough to get into. Alot of history and ALOT of characters. But for people like me they embody EVERYTHING about comics good and bad. They were on the forefront of many inclusive additudes.

I gush about them alot, I know. Just can't help it. They are what got me into comics.

tim1138

These four go together well:
Legion Secret Origin
Superman and the Legion of Superheroes by Geoff Johns. (AMAZING BOOK)
Legion of Super Heroes: The Choice
Legion of Super Heroes: Consequences

Then you have a different version of the Legion (get used to this concept) done by Mark Waid
Supergirl and the Legion of Superheroes Vol 1-5(?)

These are good nods to the Legions place in the DCU
Lightning Saga (Also JLA and JSA)
Great Darkness Saga
Final Crisis: Legion of Three World's.

And if you are feeling frisky, the old school Legion in the Archive Volumes. Early volumes are silver age goofiness, but the later ones are more "modern"

Not gonna lie, Legion is tough to get into. Alot of history and ALOT of characters. But for people like me they embody EVERYTHING about comics good and bad. They were on the forefront of many inclusive additudes.

I gush about them alot, I know. Just can't help it. They are what got me into comics.

So how many issues of Legion do you own?

That is awesome. How many more would you need to complete the collection?

Lol not gonna happen. I love Legion but I can't afford the early adventure comic issues. My current collection is basically a Mostly complete 1970s->Current run, (the auctions I won were the Mark Waid books I was missing, the "Legion" run 1-38, the first Legion Lost and Legion Worlds, which plugs the early 2000s hole I had). I have a smattering of late 60s, but very hodgepodge.

I guess I make up for the with the Legion Archives (I have 1-7, 9-13... Fuck you #8...) but it's not single issue so it's not the same.

tim1138

Lol not gonna happen. I love Legion but I can't afford the early adventure comic issues. My current collection is basically a Mostly complete 1970s->Current run, (the auctions I won were the Mark Waid books I was missing, the "Legion" run 1-38, the first Legion Lost and Legion Worlds, which plugs the early 2000s hole I had). I have a smattering of late 60s, but very hodgepodge.

I guess I make up for the with the Legion Archives (I have 1-7, 9-13... Fuck you #8...) but it's not single issue so it's not the same.

Oh I realize it'd be near impossible to do, I was just curious how much of the total series you owned.

Oh I realize it'd be near impossible to do, I was just curious how much of the total series you owned.

I'm pretty content with what I have. Early Legion is just so goofy. It's the later Legion I really love. But I will admit, having been rereading the archives recently, I was reminded how much I love the Legion of Substitute Heroes and then any of the Legion rejects. "Omg can't control mah power almost killed you".

Also, fuck Doom Patrol / Teen Titans. The first (true) Beast Boy was a Hero of Lallor. Full year before too.

tim1138

I'm pretty content with what I have. Early Legion is just so goofy. It's the later Legion I really love. But I will admit, having been rereading the archives recently, I was reminded how much I love the Legion of Substitute Heroes and then any of the Legion rejects. "Omg can't control mah power almost killed you".

Also, fuck Doom Patrol / Teen Titans. The first (true) Beast Boy was a Hero of Lallor. Full year before too.

My Legion knowledge is limited to the Great Darkness Saga, the Curse, and then the Threeboot and post Infinite Crisis stuff. Any classic stuff that's in trade that's worth checking out?

Tizoc

Speaking of the Legion: I want to read stories that feature Matter-Eater Lad, what's the story where he's trying to become a president?

Speaking of the Legion: I want to read stories that feature Matter-Eater Lad, what's the story where he's trying to become a president?

He is semi prominent just before and after "5 Years Later" Legion. He is a Senator during this time.

He also plays a role watching over Mon-El during New Krypton.

Tizoc

Heh, New Krypton, it was interesting to see Clark/Kal-El be so confident during his stay on New Krypton, having some of that personality transfer to his Clark persona would've been cool.

So, it seems DC has come up with a "plan" to arrest its rapidly dwindling marketshare... and that plan involves flooding shelves with as many books as possible in September, apparently.

-Four issues of Batman
-Four issues of Detective Comics
-Four issues of Batman & Robin
-Four issues of The Dark Knight
-Four issues of Action Comics
-Three issues of The Flash
-EDIT: Two issues of Aquaman

And they haven't even revealed half of their September lineup yet; they're probably putting out four issues of Justice League, four of Justice League of America, four of Superman, three of Wonder Woman, three of Green Lantern, etc. etc. I guess the idea is that if they publish so many books at one time there won't be any room for other publishers on the racks. And, they'll probably make all this crap returnable for retailers so they're sure to stock up, like they did with #1's and #0's.

And all at a $3.99 price tag?

Now what are you going to do about October, eeeeeeeeeehhh?

Villains month sounds interesting but 3.99 is usually an automatic turn off. Might dip in for the Riddler issue though.

I'm probably gonna cave and buy several

tim1138

So, it seems DC has come up with a "plan" to arrest its rapidly dwindling marketshare... and that plan involves flooding shelves with as many books as possible in September, apparently.

-Four issues of Batman
-Four issues of Detective Comics
-Four issues of Batman & Robin
-Four issues of The Dark Knight
-Four issues of Action Comics
-Three issues of The Flash
-EDIT: Two issues of Aquaman

And they haven't even revealed half of their September lineup yet; they're probably putting out four issues of Justice League, four of Justice League of America, four of Superman, three of Wonder Woman, three of Green Lantern, etc. etc. I guess the idea is that if they publish so many books at one time there won't be any room for other publishers on the racks. And, they'll probably make all this crap returnable for retailers so they're sure to stock up, like they did with #1's and #0's.

And all at a $3.99 price tag?

Now what are you going to do about October, eeeeeeeeeehhh?

What I understood from the interviews is that it'd still only be 52 titles being published, not every book is getting a Villains Month replacement.

So, it seems DC has come up with a "plan" to arrest its rapidly dwindling marketshare... and that plan involves flooding shelves with as many books as possible in September, apparently.\

C'mon Spike. You're low balling your DC hate bro. Do you really think a one month event is meant to course correct all by itself? (Hmm, to be fair, that did happen for almost a year+ with the launch of New 52.) Let's get a little Freudian; Sometimes an event is just an event.

People will vote with their wallet whether this interests them or not.

And on the issue of $3.99 books; Marvel readers are already used to $3.99 double shipped titles. Or is that a non-issue? And it's already been stated to be for the month.

That said, my pocket book is not looking forward to this; I, however, am. It's gonna be interesting.

Edit: I love how Rich seems to grudgingly mention that despite a slipping marketshare, because the market itself has increased, it is still making more money than two years ago.

What I understood from the interviews is that it'd still only be 52 titles being published, not every book is getting a Villains Month replacement.
Okay yeah, that seems to be what they're doing.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/06...eptember-for-four-supermans-and-two-aquamans/

So (for example) Supergirl readers are S.O.L. for the month because here's a Superman book featuring H'el? Or will Supergirl still appear in the book, only you might not know that because her book got retitled "Superman" for the month and she won't appear on the cover at all? Wait, no, none of the solicits even mention her, so she probably doesn't show up at all.

This whole thing is really f*cking weird.

ElNarez

Banned
The thing with Forever Evil is that it's Just Dumb Enough To Work. At worst, we get some kickass books out of it. Sholly Fisch on Bizarro? The current Supergirl guy on a Cyborg Superman story? Greg Pak doing a Zod one-shot? Charles Soule on a Lex thing? A Whole Fucking Lot of Rogues books by the Flash team? If you don't think those sound cool maybe you should pack your bags and get your things in order.

I'd wager the reason titles like Batman / Action Comics / Justice League are getting multiple titles while series like Supergirl aren't getting any are more tied to the fact that they have more iconic villains; What does Supergirl have? That brain-in-a-jelly-body-guy from the first few issues? It does highlight something that needs attention; That while DC has amazingly iconic villains, some characters suffer from the lack of a true rogues gallery.

Edit: Goddamn that General Zod cover is amazing.

tim1138

I'd wager the reason titles like Batman / Action Comics / Justice League are getting multiple titles while series like Supergirl aren't getting any are more tied to the fact that they have more iconic villains; What does Supergirl have? That brain-in-a-jelly-body-guy from the first few issues? It does highlight something that needs attention; That while DC has amazingly iconic villains, some characters suffer from the lack of a true rogues gallery.

Exactly, sure the new Ventriloquist debuted in Batgirl, but that character is traditionally a Batman character so it makes sense that Gail Simone is writing that story as one of the random Batman titles.

Gonna be interesting to see what they do with the Justice League and Green Lantern titles.

You know Rich really knows how to ham it up; He either loves DC for giving him so much material to right shitty half paragraph blog posts about, or hates them for abusing him as a child with Superman's mullet because he just loves grandiose word play;

What Books Will DC Be Sacrificing In September For Four Supermen And Two Aquamen?

SACRIFICED UPON THE ALTAR OF CORPORATE GREEEEEED.

I can't decide if I love or hate Rich.

Hey, Rich. I got a tip for you bro. Age of Ultron is in issue 8/9 and Ultron still hasn't shown up. MARVEL STRINGS ALONG HAPLESS READERS WITH UNDELIVERED PROMISES. C'mon man, the headlines write themselves! =D

Edit: Man, Villains month is one month after Legion gets canceled. Booooooooooo. I enjoyed the Legion of Super Villains Annual from a few years ago.

The thing with Forever Evil is that it's Just Dumb Enough To Work. At worst, we get some kickass books out of it. Sholly Fisch on Bizarro? The current Supergirl guy on a Cyborg Superman story? Greg Pak doing a Zod one-shot? Charles Soule on a Lex thing? A Whole Fucking Lot of Rogues books by the Flash team? If you don't think those sound cool maybe you should pack your bags and get your things in order.

its more about the what I'm paying for comics quadrupling that month and the bullshit charge extra for some gimmick garbage I don't fucking care about that ran me out of comics in the 90's for a few years. They better write the shit out of these and not have sloppy rush art...

I don't buy all the horseshit marvel .1's or AU stuff either, before dc guys jump on me

its more about the what I'm paying for comics quadrupling that month and the bullshit charge extra for some gimmick garbage I don't fucking care about that ran me out of comics in the 90's for a few years. They better write the shit out of these and not have sloppy rush art...

I don't buy all the horseshit marvel .1's or AU stuff either, before dc guys jump on me

Oh trust me. I'm going to feel this shit in my colon. My pull list is currently something like 35 comics about which 30 or so are DC. But I'm obsessive/compulsive when it comes to keeping runs complete. I'm the perfect demographic for what DC is going for. But as a one off thing? I'm OK with it. Totally understand and agree with people who aren't though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom