• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2013. Nothing can stop the Juggernaut! ...except E3 BREAKING NEWS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how the rest of your LCS operate, but the one I buy from will occasionally pull books for me based solely on the title and without asking. A recent example: they pulled every #AU issue of a regular Marvel series I was buying, even though I'm not reading Age of Ultron, simply because the title was the same. I ended up putting them all back on the shelf except Uncanny Avengers, but they were there in my folder when I didn't ask for them. And they've done this in the past too, with everything from spinoff mini-series to annuals. Sometimes I don't mind, but others times I do and will ask about it; they're always nice and apologetic, and the answer why is usually either "it goes off the [pull] list" or "you buy the series so we thought you'd want [annual] too." I don't feel obligated to buy it, because I didn't order it, but in the back of my mind there's that nagging feeling that they ordered an extra copy of [BLANK] because they thought I'd want it based on my purchase history, and now it's sitting on a shelf waiting for someone else that might.

Forever Evil reminds me of something but I can't quite put my finger on it...ah well....

250px-Uwu01.jpg

hmmm...No I think it was something else but I can't remember either....

250px-4-villain.jpg

I don't know how the rest of your LCS operate, but the one I buy from will occasionally pull books for me based solely on the title and without asking. A recent example: they pulled every #AU issue of a regular Marvel series I was buying, even though I'm not reading Age of Ultron, simply because the title was the same. I ended up putting them all back on the shelf except Uncanny Avengers, but they were there in my folder when I didn't ask for them. And they've done this in the past too, with everything from spinoff mini-series to annuals. Sometimes I don't mind, but others times I do and will ask about it; they're always nice and apologetic, and the answer why is usually either "it goes off the [pull] list" or "you buy the series so we thought you'd want [annual] too." I don't feel obligated to buy it, because I didn't order it, but in the back of my mind there's that nagging feeling that they ordered an extra copy of [BLANK] because they thought I'd want it based on my purchase history, and now it's sitting on a shelf waiting for someone else that might.

My LCS does something similar. When I was pulling Danger Girl, they started putting the Danger Girl / GI Joe crossover. I told them I didn't want it so they stopped putting it in. It's not a big deal. If it was something that was going to sink or swim them I doubt they'd risk it. They probably end up with more extra sales than shelved copies, in the long run, I'd imagine.

I never think about this stuff :/

My LCS did the same thing with AoU they added to tie-ins of books I already have in my pull, Uncanny Avengers and SSM. I just let them know, I no longer had an interest in that story, no big deal.

hunnies28

Hey guys, I have a question for you.

I recently got into comics ( a year or so), but I have a little problem. I don't live in the US. So getting comics it's really hard for me.

DC and Marvel do support my country and while I like the job they are doing with localization, I don't like getting comics 8 months or so later. Also, we don't have dedicated comics shops here (at least not where I live) so my only way of getting books is going to my local Wal Mart and hope to find an issue that has not been completely destroyed by 5 year olds.

So while I do love getting them in print I hate the hunt associated with buying my books every month.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, do you guys recommend comixology/marvel apps?

Bonus question: I've enjoyed new 52 Bat/supes(Also Superior Spiderman and Thor), anything else you can recommend to me?

What do you mean by that? I have a Razr i and a Galaxy Tab 10. I've tried the free comic books they have and found nothing to complain about so far.

Then you're set. I mean, if I didn't have a good tablet, I wouldn't be converting my whole collection to digital; turning in the codes for all my $4 Marvel books and throwing them away afterwards.

Acid08

Banned
Mine definitely does this.com I just politely say I don't want to subscribe to that and he puts it back. The bigger issue is that when I make changes to my pull list it takes him maybe a month to implement those changes :lol.

The biggest one I had to put a stop to was him pulling ALL of the TMNT comics coming out right now because I put "TMNT Ongoing" on my list. That's like 5 different series that he was pulling for me and I had to go noooooooooooooooo.

Deadpool Classic Volumes by Joe Kelly

The Marvel NOW! series is great for that. Recently got a friend into it through that.

The current run started off slow but has gotten great. So tell him to read that.

The original Deadpool comics are collected in Deadpool Classic which are a good start.
Alternatively there's Cable and Deadpool which is pretty good too.

Thanks guys

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys, I have a question for you.

I recently got into comics ( a year or so), but I have a little problem. I don't live in the US. So getting comics it's really hard for me.

DC and Marvel do support my country and while I like the job they are doing with localization, I don't like getting comics 8 months or so later. Also, we don't have dedicated comics shops here (at least not where I live) so my only way of getting books is going to my local Wal Mart and hope to find an issue that has not been completely destroyed by 5 year olds.

So while I do love getting them in print I hate the hunt associated with buying my books every month.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, do you guys recommend comixology/marvel apps?

Bonus question: I've enjoyed new 52 Bat/supes(Also Superior Spiderman and Thor), anything else you can recommend to me?

Would recommend something like Comixology then. I'm in a somewhat similar situation. Have a good local comic shop nearby thankfully, but there are maybe less than ten of those in the entire country. Keep an eye out for weekly sales as you'll sometimes be able to pick up entire runs on the cheap.

As for recommendations, maybe try Ultimate Spider-Man and the current main Avengers books. Hard to recommend other things without knowing more about your tastes however.

I had the opposite experience at a shop I used to go to. You got only what was listed on your list. Even If you bought Captain America every month, they wouldn't put Captain America Annual in your sub. They never ordered enough for the shelves so if you didn't go on Wednesday, you were screwed. It was maddening, especially when storylines crossed over. After a few months of this nonsense I took my $ elsewhere. Eventually they closed.

Arksy

Hey guys. I went down to my FLCS yesterday, haven't read anything since Marvel's awful Seige event and DC's wonderful Blackest Night event.

He gave me the first six issues of Hawkeye at a good price.

Holy shit. Amazing. Please, please someone tell me there's more where that came from.

(Not talking about that particular ongoing but what are some other really good ongoings that are out at the moment??)

Appreciated in advance.

Hey guys. I went down to my FLCS yesterday, haven't read anything since Marvel's awful Seige event and DC's wonderful Blackest Night event.

Holy shit. Amazing. Please, please someone tell me there's more where that came from.

(Not talking about that particular ongoing but what are some other really good ongoings that are out at the moment??)

Appreciated in advance.

Could you give us a few more hints about what sort of things interest you? Based solely on what you've said, you should definitely continue with Hawkeye. It's got alot of positive buzz. The current Green Arrow starting with #17 (A good jumping on point) is the Archer from the other side if that is your thing. If you liked Green Lantern, the current run just finished up also by Johns. Most of those titles, especially #20, the finale, might interest you.

Other books that seem to get praise:

Marvel:
Thor
Captain America
New Avengers
FF
All New X-Men
X-Men

DC:
Swamp Thing
Animal Man
Batman
Batman and Robin
Aquaman
Justice League
Justice League of America
Earth 2

Image:
Saga
Ten Grand (just started, #2 out this week)

Many others of course, just a few suggestions.

Arksy

Could you give us a few more hints about what sort of things interest you? Based solely on what you've said, you should definitely continue with Hawkeye. It's got alot of positive buzz. The current Green Arrow starting with #17 (A good jumping on point) is the Archer from the other side if that is your thing. If you liked Green Lantern, the current run just finished up also by Johns. Most of those titles, especially #20, the finale, might interest you.

Other books that seem to get praise:

Marvel:
Thor
Captain America
New Avengers
All New X-Men
X-Men

DC:
Swamp Thing
Animal Man
Batman
Batman and Robin
Aquaman
Justice League
Justice League of America
Earth 2

I used to read about 10-15 ongoings a month, and almost always read the events. I'm not so sure I want to get involved with event-verse at the moment. I'd rather read self-contained work at the moment. Just to re-introduce myself to comics.

To be honest I like all sorts of comics. From camp and funny to serious. Some of my favourite series were; (focusing on recent ones)

- Planet Hulk
- Magneto: Testament
- Green Lantern
- Heart of Hush
- Cable (I know no one else liked it, but I did :p)

Earth 2 solicitations are out. Looks like Matt Kindt is the new writer taking over from James Robinson. :O JLA and Earth 2?!

EARTH 2 #15.2: SOLOMON GRUNDY

Written by MATT KINDT, Art by AARON LOPRESTI, 3-D motion cover by KEN LASHLEY

On sale SEPTEMBER 11 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T

“Grundy hates green. He hates life, and he hates Green Lantern most of all! So what made Grundy this way? Find out in the secret origin of Solomon Grundy!”

ZoddGutts

Appreciated in advance.

Check out the current Daredevil run by Waid. It's a fun series like Hawkeye, it's not your usual dark/gritty Daredevil series of the past.

Arksy

Thanks guys!

Did JMS ever finish his run on Thor?? That was pretty awesome but I remembered each comic came out like...yearly.

I definitely want to get back into X-men as well. Last I read was..um.....uhh..
When the redhead kid gets possessed by the Phoenix and mutants re-emerge at the end of the event where Nightcrawler gets killed. I want to pick it up again from that point. Please don't spoil what happens!

What comics would I need to pick up?

Owzers

So, it seems DC has come up with a "plan" to arrest its rapidly dwindling marketshare... and that plan involves flooding shelves with as many books as possible in September, apparently.

-Four issues of Batman
-Four issues of Detective Comics
-Four issues of Batman & Robin
-Four issues of The Dark Knight
-Four issues of Action Comics
-Three issues of The Flash
-EDIT: Two issues of Aquaman

And they haven't even revealed half of their September lineup yet; they're probably putting out four issues of Justice League, four of Justice League of America, four of Superman, three of Wonder Woman, three of Green Lantern, etc. etc. I guess the idea is that if they publish so many books at one time there won't be any room for other publishers on the racks. And, they'll probably make all this crap returnable for retailers so they're sure to stock up, like they did with #1's and #0's.

And all at a $3.99 price tag?

Now what are you going to do about October, eeeeeeeeeehhh?

I might just take the whole month off of DC , we'll see, might cave on a Wonder Woman book.

Dial H may be cancelled, but at least we're getting this:

JUSTICE LEAGUE #23.3: DIAL E
Written by CHINA MIEVILLE
Art by MATEUS SANTOLUOCO, JEFF LEMIRE, JOCK, ALBERTO PONTICELLI, DAVID LAPHAM, RICCARDO BURCHIELLO and others
3-D motion cover by BRIAN BOLLAND
On sale SEPTEMBER 18 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T

You can’t stop dialing! In a special VILLAINS MONTH coda to the fan-favorite DIAL H series, a lost E-dial is discovered by four young criminals on the run in Littleville. But who is chasing them? And will they figure out how to control this nefarious dial before it’s too late? Hindsight is twenty-twenty when you’re sprinting through dark alleys! This issue features 20 new villains, 20 pages of creative insanity—and 20 top artists, each drawing a page of the action.

Acid08

Banned
Also, the new Supergirl, starting with #19, by Michael Nelson, art by Mahmud Asrar, is probably the best of the Superman family books right now. Gorgeous and an absolute joy to read.

Interview about it
Honestly, it's not like it's hard to be the best Supes book right now. Still to early, imo, to get excited about this run. I am optimistic though, not hard to beat the boring beginning and terrible H'el issues.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Earth 2 solicitations are out. Looks like Matt Kindt is the new writer taking over from James Robinson. :O JLA and Earth 2?!

It's hard to judge any big changes on September's solicitations. After all, James Robinson said was leaving the book after #16, so he's presumably still on for October's book. Of course, knowing DC, after he announced his departure they could have scrapped the issue.

Honestly, it's not like it's hard to be the best Supes book right now. Still to early, imo, to get excited about this run. I am optimistic though, not hard to beat the boring beginning and terrible H'el issues.

Of course. True of anything really. But I guess I just have a good feeling about it; Nelson seems to understand Kara. Will Editorial Overlords destroy it? Who knows! Maybe. But I will also caveat that I actually liked many of the early issues. Especially liked her friendship with Silver Banshee. H'el was fine. Nothing stellar. But I didn't hate it. Was just "eh".

Yo hold up Asrar?! He did art for Dynamo 5 IIRC, loved his work on that series.

Yep. He's been the artist from issue #1. Dude works magic. Climbing the ranks of my favorite artists.

Acid08

Banned
Of course. True of anything really. But I guess I just have a good feeling about it; Nelson seems to understand Kara. Will Editorial Overlords destroy it? Who knows! Maybe. But I will also caveat that I actually liked many of the early issues. Especially liked her friendship with Silver Banshee. H'el was fine. Nothing stellar. But I didn't hate it. Was just "eh".

Yep. He's been the artist from issue #1. Dude works magic. Climbing the ranks of my favorite artists.
The H'el issues were just an incredible bore and, imo, a bad characterization of Kara. Issue 20 was the best issue yet though so there's reason to be optimistic!

And yeah Asrar is awesome.

Appreciated in advance.

Nowhere Men is the best book on the stands, bar none

I like all this stuff about DC flooding the shelves with $3.99 books in September. They think it's going to make them more money, I think September is going to be very light for me in the way of DC books. :D

Acid08

Banned
I like all this stuff about DC flooding the shelves with $3.99 books in September. They think it's going to make them more money, I think September is going to be very light for me in the way of DC books. :D
There's a couple interesting books but yeah not going to be buying much more DC than I already do.

At least Marvel gives digital copies with 3.99 books.

DC announces they're bringing "Choose Your Own Adventure" to digital comics.

DC Entertainment, the most prolific digital comic book publisher, unveiled two new digital innovations today that will take its comics to the next level of interactivity. DC Entertainment President Diane Nelson and Co-Publisher Jim Lee unveiled DC2 and DC2 Multiverse at the opening of Time Warner’s “The Future of Storytelling” exhibition at the Time Warner Medialab in New York.

DC2 is a new initiative that layers dynamic artwork onto digital comic panels, adding a new level of dimension to digital storytelling. DC2 Multiverse technology allows readers to determine a specific story outcome by selecting individual characters, storylines and plot developments while reading the comic, meaning one chapter of a digital comic has dozens of possible story outcomes.

“Since we made the game changing decision to go Same-Day-Digital with the launch of DC COMICS – THE NEW 52, we very strategically built our digital business to have the broadest distribution and most extensive Digital-First content line-up, and now we’re at the forefront of innovation,” stated Nelson. “DC2 and DC2 Multiverse leverages technology to make iconic characters like Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman and Green Lantern even more relevant through highly interactive storytelling.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom