• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2013. Nothing can stop the Juggernaut! ...except E3 BREAKING NEWS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which probably isn't new either.

And the publisher is shoring the entire event up with special 3D motion lenticular covers. "They’re amazing covers. It’s an effect that you haven’t seen before… it’s an entire cover," Lee said. "Any time in the past that they’ve done specialty covers, you would only get like a small trading card size image on the cover that was a hologram or lenticular bit of technology. This is the whole cover and it is amazing. The colors and the depth of field allows you to actually see the logo of the new book. Let’s say the Joker is taking over, it’ll be the Batman title in the background, and you’ll see the Joker title splattered on top of the Batman logo itself. It really sells the concept in a very visual way."

Comic Book Resources

So, unless they are outright lying, its a new effect? Dunno.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
1262111_ful.jpg
1279182_ful.jpg
1262247_ful.jpg

1262470_ful.jpg
1257191_ful.jpg
1257118_ful.jpg

1257190_ful.jpg
1279160_ful.jpg
1257121_ful.jpg

1252129_ful.jpg
1262400_ful.jpg
1257163_ful.jpg

1262473_ful.jpg
1262230_ful.jpg

Yeah they do panel by panel view, but you can still see full screen and get the whole page unless it's a landscape oriented page or a double spread. I have a 7 inch Galaxy Tab 2 and it's pretty much perfect for me. I do keep it a bit closer to my face just because I lie down on my pillows and that's just more comfortable. A Tab 10, Note 8 or an ipad would be even better too.

strobogo

Banned
Finished Final Crisis. It was dumb. I don't even understand what the point was. All it did was show that things would go back to status quo, either by time or via different worlds. So the whole thing seemed kind of pointless. Anyone who died came back and was fine and I don't really see how it did much for the over all DC Universe that wasn't already established ahead of time.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Yeah but nobody reads them that way on a tablet. Yechhh gross

Yeah, it's nice to have the option on a phone, but on my Nook HD+ (9", 1,920x1,280) anything but full-page is just silly.

JEKKI

I hate when this happens to the cover of your trade pb for no reason! lol

sz64sN7.jpg

go home gravel nophic!! you're drunk!!

tim1138

I hope someone posts Green Lantern impressions. It feels weird to not be buying it for the first time in forever, but Johns last issue was so perfect to me it felt like a good place to jump off. Vemdetti has big shoes to fill on that title...

kswiston

So having read 9 out of the 10 issues now, I think it's safe to say that Age of Ultron could have easily been condensed into a stronger 4-5 parts.

Mindwipe

So having read 9 out of the 10 issues now, I think it's safe to say that Age of Ultron could have easily been condensed into a stronger 4-5 parts.

Bendis.

I'd have rather 9 was condensed into no parts to be honest. It reads like a parody of itself, and makes my head hurt with how little sense it makes.

kswiston

Avengers Arena 10:
My condolences to Nico fans. It's going to be really satisfying to see Katy get hers one of these issues though

Owzers

DCBS website updated for august books, i rarely post what i buy since everyone makes weekly lists buttttttttttt pre-order list!

specials ( half-off, haven't seen much at 75% anymore)

Avengers Endless War Time OGN
Hawkeye vol 1 OHC
Hellboy OGN Midnight Circus
Infinity #1
Sidekick #1
Trillium #1

non-special

Angel and Faith
Buffy

Aquaman, Batman, Green Lantern, Superman Unchained, Wonder Woman

Fatale, Invincible, Jupiter's Legacy, Lazarus, Mind the Gap, Morning Glories, Revival, Saga, Walking Dead

All New X-Men, Avengers, Cap, Daredevil, FF, GotG, Hawkeye, Ind. Hulk, New Avengers, Savage Joe Maderine, Superior Spidey, Thanos #5 of 5, Thor, Uncanny Avengers, Uncanny X-Men, WATXM, X-Men #4, Young Avengers.

Then a bunch of maybes that are half off: Batman Inc Special, Itty Bitty Hellboy #1. Also might be skipping the last issue of Dial H.

Mafro

Bendis.

I'd have rather 9 was condensed into no parts to be honest. It reads like a parody of itself, and makes my head hurt with how little sense it makes.
The first half of issue #9 pretty much sums up Bendis' grasp of Wolverine's character.

Owzers

A lot of the Villain Month issues seems interesting, yet i still don't want to buy them....i presume it's the $1 extra and them seeming random. Mongul and Black Hand Green Lantern issues are especially intriguing.

Also, can I just say that Remender/Romita Jr-Dean White combo has been killing it on Captain America? #7 was the shit, son. It's a weird dark, twisted, nightmare of a world with fantastical creatures and outfits and art design and Romita/White are doing a great job at capturing this mood and creating this crazy dimension, but it's grounded in real human emotion that you can relate to. I absolutely love the opening scene with Steve and Ian. You can feel the passage of time between them in their words, that these are two people who care about each other a great deal. You understand exactly what drives Steve to do what he does; it's not just the flag or "duty" as he put it, it's that genuine, passionate optimism to "stand up" and preserve through any hardship, and to use his abilities to help those who can't help themselves(in this case, Ian and all the aliens being turned into mutates). I love that he carries that bullet with the word "diligence" inscribed on it, reminding no matter how much it hurts, he HAS to keep going. Remender does a great job showing just how difficult this entire thing has been for Steve, both physically and emotionally, and Romita draws him as this battle-weary soldier who refuses to go down. This story really humanizes Steve in a way I've rarely seen before; I rarely think of him as "Captain America" when I read this one, but Steve Rogers; the man, the fighter, the father. And it's a bit obvious, but I do love the symmetry of both fathers losing their kids to the other(Zola now has Ian and Steve now has Jet Black). Rick's best stories have that human conflict at the core on top of all the bombastic shit(even Bulletstorm is grounded with some real emotional hooks built in the first hour that he uses throughout the entire game's narrative), and this is a prime example of that.

Big sci-fi ideas, set piece moments, genuine human emotions backing it all up. Just great comic books.

Nudull

Banned
I feel like I'm missing something special in Captain America, given all the praise in this thread. Maybe I'll give it shot, this week. :)

Owzers

Please no Bendis on Mighty, you must keep him contained. Also, i don't care about more avengers books, i'm fine with avengers, new avengers, uncanny avengers, and young avengers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom