• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim1138

Can someone explain Infinity Man and the Forever People and why I should or should not be excited for it next week?

The Forever People and the Infinity Man were created by Jack Kirby as part of his Fourth World story. The Forever People are New Gods from New Genesis and go to Earth to battle the forces of Darkseid. The team is made up of five members: Big Bear, Mark Moonrider, Beautiful Dreamer, Serifan (Serifana in the N52), and Vyking. They travel using a quasi sentient machine called the Super Cycle and can use their Mother Box to summon the Infinity Man. Basically the Forever People were a group of space hippies and it was fantastic.
Originally the Infinity Man was
Darkseid's brother
and possesses near unlimited power and can pretty much do anything. He could only appear when summoned by the Forever People.

I really think this book is going to be a hard sell for people who aren't familiar with Kirby's Fourth World stuff and it will probably be canceled after six issues like OMAC was.

are Giffen and Didio the only people allowed to do anything with Kirby stuff or something
Aren't you sporting a Hawkbro series avatar? That comic which has huge month gaps between issues as opposed to the X-Books that has 2 books published each week at least?
quality over quantity breh

Messi

WwTs6MM.jpeg

Bruce is such a creeper sometimes. Having Alfred do his dirty work.

The Forever People and the Infinity Man were created by Jack Kirby as part of his Fourth World story. The Forever People are New Gods from New Genesis and go to Earth to battle the forces of Darkseid. The team is made up of five members: Big Bear, Mark Moonrider, Beautiful Dreamer, Serifan (Serifana in the N52), and Vyking. They travel using a quasi sentient machine called the Super Cycle and can use their Mother Box to summon the Infinity Man. Basically the Forever People were a group of space hippies and it was fantastic.
Darkseid's brother
and possesses near unlimited power and can pretty much do anything. He could only appear when summoned by the Forever People.

Space Captain Planet?

Messi

Its a shame dc doesn't work out a deal with Yale to make a book out of the JL8 comics. They are so cute and we'll done. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Why is it called JL8? Because it's the justice league and they're 8 years old? Every time I read it I think "J-L-Bait". Not a great title.

tim1138

are Giffen and Didio the only people allowed to do anything with Kirby stuff or something

Maybe just the weirder stuff? Orion, High Father, and New Genesis all appeared in Wonder Woman, Barda and Scott Free were in Earth 2 a couple times, and obviously Darkseid was in the first Justice League arc.

To their credit, Didio and Giffen's OMAC was a lot of fun and felt very Kirby-esque.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
It's because their 8 years old but I believe it's also because it's a play on "JLA".

the original title, Little League, was copyright infringemented

Ah, The JLA thing makes sense. I didn't make that connection. Little League would have been much better though. Funny that a comic based off copyrighted comic book characters would get held up by baseball(? I'm from the UK so I'm guessing that's what it is) lawyers.

Darkseid's brother

I really think this book is going to be a hard sell for people who aren't familiar with Kirby's Fourth World stuff and it will probably be canceled after six issues like OMAC was.

Thank you! I will try it out.

tim1138

Yeah, that stuff i mean. The stuff that gets their own books, like OMAC, Challengers of the Unknown (DCU Presents and no Giffen but still), this, and... huh. coulda swore there was more. I guess there was that Kirby send-up Giffen did in a He-Man comic of all places

Yeah it seems like the characters that are more identified as being Kirby things (OMAC, Challengers, Forever People) stay with Didio and Giffen, and the characters that have become more integrated into the DCU as a whole (New Gods, Etrigan) are up for grabs to be used by whoever. And unless the cover was purposefully misleading, I think we're going to see at least a Kamandi reference in the September Booster Gold one shot.

Can anyone recommend some good Dr. Strange books? Want to read up on the character. Any good stories are appreciated, and I would prefer if its a trade (or a bunch of trades together) so that the story is self contained. I usually get confused by having to read multiple comics for a story arc (recent example, age of apocalypse, whose reading list is like 10 comics)

Can anyone recommend some good Dr. Strange books? Want to read up on the character. Any good stories are appreciated, and I would prefer if its a trade (or a bunch of trades together) so that the story is self contained. I usually get confused by having to read multiple comics for a story arc (recent example, age of apocalypse, whose reading list is like 10 comics)

I have not read it but have heard that Dr. Strange: The Oath by Brian K Vaughn is pretty good.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0785122117/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Being scared off AoA is a good thing, cos it's shit. So 90s!

original sin 3 wow

it was hinted at though when the avengers kids saw bucky in Ultron War they spoke about how they should kill him then for what he would do in the future..... I guess this is what they were speaking about

The Bendis timeline strikes again!

Where's my Kitty book?

The question we're all asking. Isn't she going to be in Legendary Star-Lord?

WwTs6MM.jpeg

Bruce is such a creeper sometimes. Having Alfred do his dirty work.

I just love how expressive Yale's art is. I'm glad we're getting back to the Bruce/Karen deal, the Green Lantern Scouts thing is cool and all but this is the main event.

Its amazing how its been retroactively hyped up. There are good parts, but the sum of its lacking.

Non-comic GAF's wide on for 90s X-Men knows no bounds.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Its amazing how its been retroactively hyped up. There are good parts, but the sum of its lacking.

I don't have much/any connection to 90s X-Men but I read AoA thanks to it being such a big part of X-Force and godamn it's so bad. The only good thing about it is seeing artists I like today (Kubert! Epting! Bachalo!) back when they were all 90s and drawing everyone with massive hair. I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone to read it though.

The Punisher was pretty good... I think Frank got
blown up
like 4-5 times? haha. Some more cool First Person Shooter panels again too.

I'm liking Superman: Doomed story line a lot. I was told by my LCS guy that he thinks its a 4 arc story. One of the arcs being only 2 chapters.

Batman Eternal is great.. nice to get a weekly Batman fix

Original Sin = Dayyyuummmm!

Iron Fist was a decent issue,, I'm on the fence about dropping it or not.

Black Widow = Phil Noto = good shit.

Still have The Wake, Moon Knight, Nailbiter, Green Arrow, and Revelations to read. LCS wont get Big Trouble in Little China till next week.

This isnt his origin story, right? Sounds interesting, let me check my local library. I doubt they will have it... i'll check the local craigslist. Is his origin story any good?

Well that worked out nicely then.
You want Origin Story? Then read Dr. Strange Season One. I own all of Dr. strange floppies....

Mars477

Banned
Punisher #6 - I'm... kinda rooting for the Howling Commandos? They're just so badass, and I'm still waiting for Edmondson to finish The Activity #16 already. Plus his Castle hasn't really shown himself to have much of a personality compared to past writers, so even generic The Unit-esque operators outshine him.

Cyclops #2 - So many feels. Rucka is good enough that the climactic action scene kind of felt extraneous. It's amazing how great (teen) Cyclops is when you get him away from Bendis.

Black Widow #7 - The story is nothing to write home about, but dear god Phil Noto's work is beautiful. (Sidebar: Ponytail and street clothes Natasha is loads hotter than underboob hugging cleavage baring catsuit Natasha.)

Sadist

Cyclops #2 is fun. Young Scott makes me like the character again. That's a first since Whedon's Astonishing X-Men run.

The latest Magneto was an interesting one. Definitely fixed my complaint of "where is this going" while introducing a new character that could be interesting to see more of. The last pages were pretty messed up, but they worked well with the story that's been building up until now. If you haven't been reading the comic so far, I think you should pick it up now.

Iron Man 27 is one of those issues where you just have to have an open mind when it comes to crazy shit that you would expect Tony and his brother to do. And it is crazy. And cool. Sometimes, I feel like villains forget how ridiculous Tony is, and what happens in this issue should remind them for a bit. Also, bringing back the character that annoyed me and implementing them into the story in a fresh way was cool. Good issue.

My comic of the month so far is Moon Knight 4, though. The art was, by far, some of the most fantastic stuff I've seen in comics. (Though I haven't read that many series >.<) Like always, it is a story-by-issue thing, but I'll be damned if it isn't good. The writing is stellar and Moon Knight is one hell of a hero. You fuck up? He'll let you know.

More of DC's "Batman 75th Anniversary" Variants Revealed (Newsarama)

Other than the Cooke and Steranko ones, they all kind of suck. EDIT: Not artistically, per se, but thematically. Instead of an actual celebration of Batman's 75-year history, most just look like "here's some inventory artwork we dug up by an artist you may remember, with the star of the book AND BATMAN, because reasons." I mean, that Nowlan piece is something you just pulled out of storage from 2010 for Pete's sake! Even the Cooke piece I'm not so sure about; I feel like I've seen that one somewhere before too.

DC, you're celebrating 75 YEARS of Batman with these variants. That's 75 YEARS worth of history, 75 YEARS worth of covers, 75 YEARS worth of storylines and interactions between Batman and the actual stars of these books, that you could pay homage to for this month celebrating 75 YEARS of Batman comics.

Even an idiot like me can tell a wasted opportunity when he sees one.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
More of DC's "Batman 75th Anniversary" Variants Revealed (Newsarama)

Other than the Cooke and Steranko ones, they all kind of suck. EDIT: Not artistically, per se, but thematically. Instead of an actual celebration of Batman's 75-year history, most just look like "here's some inventory artwork we dug up by an artist you may remember, with the star of the book AND BATMAN, because reasons." I mean, that Nowlan piece is something you just pulled out of storage from 2010 for Pete's sake! Even the Cooke piece I'm not so sure about; I feel like I've seen that one somewhere before too.

DC, you're celebrating 75 YEARS of Batman with these variants. That's 75 YEARS worth of history, 75 YEARS worth of covers, 75 YEARS worth of storylines and interactions between Batman and the actual stars of these books, that you could pay homage to for this month celebrating 75 YEARS of Batman comics.

Even an idiot like me can tell a wasted opportunity when he sees one.

Yeah, but that Jock cover is fucking dope.

Yeah, but that Jock cover is fucking dope.
It is, but it also looks like a regular variant that they lumped into the 75th Anniversary scheme because Batman is prominent on the cover.

As opposed to, for example, Jock doing an homage to a classic Batman and Robin moment from the 40s/50s in his own style.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
It is, but it also looks like a regular variant that they lumped into the 75th Anniversary scheme because Batman is prominent on the cover.

Oh, definitely. I've found these big anniversaries just give them room to squeeze out as many cheap cash-ins and stories involving the characters as possible. Like, for Supes' anniversary, I think the big push was Unchained, and that book stinks, quite frankly.

I think putting out some OGNs that pay homage to Batman's legacy, or just try new, fun things with the character would be a far better way to celebrate, rather than 4000 variant covers that mean little-to-nothing.

Superior Foes was great as always this month, good to see Spencer and Lieber return. It had a lot of hilarious moments throughout-- Boomerang is too funny.

New Warriors was probably book of the week for me. The first four issues were good enough, but this one was really great. Aracely's interaction with Speedball was fantastic and I am really excited to see where this book is going.

SoilBreak

Banned
Can anyone recommend some good Dr. Strange books? Want to read up on the character. Any good stories are appreciated, and I would prefer if its a trade (or a bunch of trades together) so that the story is self contained.

Triumph & Torment
What Is It That Disturbs You, Stephen?
Into Shamballa
Strange Tales

strobogo

Banned
I go to the library like 6 times a month and just realized they have a huge comics section. I had originally picked up a couple of X-Men Essentials books, but I need my books to have color unless they are meant to be in black and white. Instead I picked up the first year of Ultimate X-Men and the Matt Fraction Uncanny run. I'm really enjoying the Uncanny stuff, with the Dark Avengers and Dark X-Men and whatnot. I'm about half way through it.

Here are some shots, and it's only about half of what they actually have:

ZCeiObs.jpg

hZegpho.jpg

Xo4lJzM.jpg

naCHPhB.jpg

5isIgp9.jpg

Omnibuses and giant trades for every major DC/Marvel character, every major team from DC/Marvel, a bunch of Image and Darkhorse stuff. It's pretty rad. I wish the essentials were in color. It's just not the same without color. It's a real bummer because the essential X-Men books are pretty much 100% Claremont, but I can't get over the lack of color. I'll probably jump around to Spiderman stuff when I take these back, and then I think I want to go into Hulk. I don't think I've read a solo Hulk comic in my life. Tons of options. I'm pretty excited about it. I read stuff on my tablet, but it isn't the same as having a physical book in my hands. I'll read MUCH more in one sitting with actual books.

I also picked up a total of 12 Godzilla movies today.

tim1138

I go to the library like 6 times a month and just realized they have a huge comics section. I had originally picked up a couple of X-Men Essentials books, but I need my books to have color unless they are meant to be in black and white. Instead I picked up the first year of Ultimate X-Men and the Matt Fraction Uncanny run. I'm really enjoying the Uncanny stuff, with the Dark Avengers and Dark X-Men and whatnot. I'm about half way through it.

Here are some shots, and it's only about half of what they actually have:

ZCeiObs.jpg

hZegpho.jpg

Xo4lJzM.jpg

naCHPhB.jpg

5isIgp9.jpg

Omnibuses and giant trades for every major DC/Marvel character, every major team from DC/Marvel, a bunch of Image and Darkhorse stuff. It's pretty rad. I wish the essentials were in color. It's just not the same without color. It's a real bummer because the essential X-Men books are pretty much 100% Claremont, but I can't get over the lack of color. I'll probably jump around to Spiderman stuff when I take these back, and then I think I want to go into Hulk. I don't think I've read a solo Hulk comic in my life. Tons of options. I'm pretty excited about it. I read stuff on my tablet, but it isn't the same as having a physical book in my hands. I'll read MUCH more in one sitting with actual books.

I also picked up a total of 12 Godzilla movies today.

This is why I always tell people to check out their library.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
So, Moon Knight. That skull page was fucking incredible. But this book is in no way shape or form a satisfying read. Every issue just - ends, it always feels like it needs a page or two extra. It's worth it for the art sure, but godamn Ellis you contrarian motherfucker, write a whole story not just the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom