• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I am from the future and I was told to tell you guys that #YearofRemender ends with him getting Book of the year and that Legion of Superheroes is still shit in this time period and nobody reads it.
You could be from the past, present, or future and all of that would still be true.

tim1138

I am from the future and I was told to tell you guys that #YearofRemender ends with him getting Book of the year and that Legion of Superheroes is still shit in this time period and nobody reads it.

One more thing, Bitch Planet comes out and is awesome.

I'm sold. Tell us more future Messi!

Messi

DC, listen to me for a moment. I don't ask for much, you have done right by me by choosing to release a Harley Quinn 1-8 Hardcover. But I have to ask for one thing. Please don't use the cover from the first issue #1 as the trade cover. It's easily the worst cover so far. Not the biggest fan of the #0 cover either to be honest. Don't fuck it up.

I don't recommend bad books written by awful writers. I understand my vice and need to read that book but I won't pull others down into the madness with me. With that said, the first arc that was drawn by Guillem March pre Queen Nocenti is good stuff and a fun read. But the second you see Queen Nocentis name on the cover bail the fuck out.

If you don't read Batman and Robin you should fix that. Tomasi and Gleason are doing great character work.
Bruce making the voice mail of Damien talking from old recordings to give to Carrie was heartbreaking.

I'm a sucker for Batman and I fear you're going to bankrupt me. I'm okay with this.

'Tec is one of the most beautiful books on stands
I completely forgot that Manapul was drawing this book! It's only a few issues in, no?

Going through a lot of older stuff right now, some of it is pretty good and has held up well. Long Halloween is my favorite Batman story so far (Killing Joke was also good, though I'm divided on revealing the joker's origins, I prefer to think he made it up), not sure when I'll tackle Knightfall, super long and super expensive. Judas Contract was good as well.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I'm a sucker for Batman and I fear you're going to bankrupt me. I'm okay with this.

I completely forgot that Manapul was drawing this book! It's only a few issues in, no?
If you're a sucker for Batman, seriously, check out Tomasi and Gleason's Batman and Robin. It's gets to the emotional core of Batman and his current family, and has some damn fine character moments. Messi and I are agreeing, so you should just but the entire series because the fates have aligned.

arkon

oh shit dude

you're into adachi?

Yeah. One of my favourites. Even if it is all quite samey, I just can't get enough. I wish more of it was available in an officially translated capacity, maybe in some nice hardcover omnibuses. Surprised we even got all of Cross Game.

Yeah run started at #30. #32 should be out this month. Story's alright too but i don't think anyone's buying it for that alone

Boogiepop

Well then, I did it. Vol. 1 and 2 of Tales of the TMNT, Vol. 5-8 of TMNT Classics, Vol. 8 of the TMNT ongoing, the annual, the second half of Immortal Iron Fist, and the Wolverine and the X-men Omnibus. At least that wraps up Turtles for a bit (not getting into Adventures right now, leaving the Vol. 2 Tales stuff for the when the Vol. 2 Classics stuff is done). Probably a tad irresponsible, but oh well. At least I can justify it since Wolverine and the X-men was on sale for being new. That's going to be a serious InStockTrades box, though, that's for sure.

frye

Yeah. One of my favourites. Even if it is all quite samey, I just can't get enough. I wish more of it was available in an officially translated capacity, maybe in some nice hardcover omnibuses. Surprised we even got all of Cross Game.

Yeah, I would love Touch (top 10 dead or alive) or Rough or even Katsu to come over here. I'm usually not too bothered about sports comics except Takehiko Inoue's basketball stuff or romance comics but I love Adachi (except his weird pseudo-incest manga, I really don't get his obsession with that shit)

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
original sin 3 wow

it was hinted at though when the avengers kids saw bucky in Ultron War they spoke about how they should kill him then for what he would do in the future..... I guess this is what they were speaking about

arkon

Yeah, I would love Touch (top 10 dead or alive) or Rough or even Katsu to come over here. I'm usually not too bothered about sports comics except Takehiko Inoue's basketball stuff or romance comics but I love Adachi (except his weird pseudo-incest manga, I really don't get his obsession with that shit)

I don't even really like Baseball, but for a time reading Touch got me into it. And yeah the less said about the Miyuki-type work the better. It's gotta be Touch for me, I think. It was my intro to his work way back. Would love to have that on my shelf.

Mix might be the closest we get though :( and that's a long shot. I guess it'd need to do a Cross Game to stand a chance.

Going through a lot of older stuff right now, some of it is pretty good and has held up well. Long Halloween is my favorite Batman story so far (Killing Joke was also good, though I'm divided on revealing the joker's origins, I prefer to think he made it up), not sure when I'll tackle Knightfall, super long and super expensive. Judas Contract was good as well.

I LOVE The Long Halloween. It was one of my first Batman comics (my brother had a copy of it) and I really got into the whole year-long story and everything. I'm a big fan of Tim Sale's art too, so that helps! I liked Dark Victory a lot too.

Was at work and didn't get a chance to read any of my books. Time to read New Warriors!

My reviews:

thewake9cover.jpg

The Wake #9

Honestly, this series didn't grab me much. I'm just running on inertia at this point.

The Punisher #6

I still like this series a lot, but
the aborted conflict with Electro
made it feel thoroughly anti-climactic.

Frank's kind of filled with self-doubt. I think he's having a mid-life crisis. It's good that the next issue is two weeks away. I wonder if it picks up from the cliffhanger or it's a one-off tale. Great art this issue, as usual. Very blue.

Black Widow #7

Natasha, you need to start having some fun. You lead a very depressing life. Noto's art is great, but Natasha's constant funereal monologues kinda makes her lose the edge. Good that Isaiah had some characterization in this one.

Southern Bastards #2

Great issue. The final moments in this issue were incredibly powerful. Earl continues to be an intriguing protagonist, an old man who just can't keep a lid on the rage that lies deep in his art. The artwork is gloriously messy too. The colour makes everything feel like a memory, and the memory is fading. And the introduction to Boss was interesting. It's low-key, but it feels charged.

American Vampire: Second Cycle #3

Another good issue. The Grey Trader is a supremely creepy villain for sure. Art was beautiful, Albuquerque nails it as usual.

Superior Foes of Spider-Man #12

After the last couple of filler issues, this one was fantastic! So goddamn funny. I just can't get enough of Fred's asshole antics. I'm gonna be so sad when this series ends.

Secret Avengers #2

Really hilarious issue. This book might scratch the comedy itch that Hawkeye has stopped scratching. Very fun, zany stuff. MODOK is great.

Moon Knight #4

God, what a splendid issue. Ellis and Shavley are so good here. The art, the colour, the writing, all of it fuses so beautifully. The final line is genuinely haunting...
"You've been breathing in his dreams."

The way Ellis writes Specter is amazing. It truly feels like an engaging, hypnotizing journey into the darkness with this poetic madman. And there's only two issues left with this team :(

I do not envy Wood. There's no way he can match up with what Ellis has done.

TLDR:

Punisher 6: Good, but anti-climactic. Cliffhanger.

Black Widow 7: Starting to just be a bummer. Come on, Nat. Try being happy or something.

Southern Bastards 2: Raw and powerful. Great final moments.
A sign of the divine? Also, does anyone think Earl is speaking to someone who is dead on the phone? Maybe his wife passed away and he just speaks to her cause of his grief?

Moon Knight 4: Splendid, hypnotic, dreamlike wonder.

Secret Avengers 2: Zany fun!

Superior Foes of Spider-Man 12: Zany fun!

The Wake 9: Meh

American Vampire: Second Cycle 3: Pretty good and creepy!

Voror

Is Superior Foes set to end soon? Curious as I've been wanting to read this for a while, but wasn't sure whether to wait on some Ultimate Collection or not.

Moon Knight is a mad, beautiful, hypnotic sojourn into the world of a man whose mind has been left ripped apart by an alien and esoteric entity.

Can this Wood guy do that? Can he?!

Tizoc

Quantum and Woody had Mutated Power-Drinking ChupaCabras of DOOM fighting a superpowered goat.

I just had to post this.

One of these days I'll be arsed to read the series :V
Speaking of which I think a re-read of Christopher Priest's B. Panther run is in order. Just wish it actually put more focus on B. Panther himself than being narrated by whitey whatshisface and having to hear his impressions etc.

Tizoc

Someone PM me or put what happened in bats eternal #9 in spoilers please. Too lazy and uninterested to get back to that series atm.

Bii

Cyclops #2

14163357718_9d445db70e_o.jpg

14163515307_22b7387bc6_o.jpg
14348421502_41c96b9171_o.jpg

You know what? I'ma let you guys tackle this...

14163404257_4ec8d5c876_o.png
14348354152_c3dac53597_o.png
14163341250_284973a8e5_o.png
14163341170_bd8a7a50ae_o.png

14346598391_c93e6896d9_o.png
14326808496_2337f72762_o.png
14163268929_44e552e64b_o.png
14370118733_a887d923ae_o.png

14349088794_d9b237b6f6_o.png
14349946855_0d34beaa9a_o.png
14349946815_59e1bb3fb6_o.png

The last three quotes may or may not have been taken out of context. <3 u Messi

Comparable to Schindler's List.
Comic of the decade.
Advanced literature class material.
Steller.
Best GOTG comic.
umm, Parallax loves kid cyclops.
Erased all doubts.
DAT Hep fever.
Goodness.
Best book of our time.
He loves it!

If these guys aren't convincing you to read Cyclops, then I don't know what will. Maybe a free code?

If anyone wants the Marvel digital code for Cyclops #2, hollatchaboy by quoting/posting in this thread saying so.

what if dane cook was moon knight if here was a movie??
Put this in the next review, Bii

So is anyone else reading New Warriors? Cause this new issue was great. The dialogue was perfect and this issue was everything I was hoping for with this series. Kaine and Aracely continue to be the stars of the series, it's such a fun comic and it made me so happy. Can not wait for the next issue, I loved this one so much.

Put this in the next review, Bii

So is anyone else reading New Warriors? Cause this new issue was great. The dialogue was perfect and this issue was everything I was hoping for with this series. Kaine and Aracely continue to be the stars of the series, it's such a fun comic and it made me so happy. Can not wait for the next issue, I loved this one so much.
I'm waiting to finish Scarlet Spidey first. which will be sooner than expected since I found most of the last arc lying around in piles on my floor. i didn't know i had them! clean your rooms, kids

ReiGun

I'm liking this trend of the few X-Men I care about like Cyclops and Storm escaping X-books and getting solos so that I can read about them.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Shit, it seems like I waited to long for the Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 2 Omnibus -,-
Its now sold out everywhere or has insane prices. Shit. I hope still get a not to expansive copy anywhere...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom