• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messi

Looool when they are talking about Catwoman being an empowering character they are using panels from the issue Queen Nocenti didn't write. The issue that was actually empowering and true to character. After that she got back to assassinating Selina as a character.

She's a hack.

Can we celebrate when she leaves Catwoman for good? I think it would at least deserve a place in the new dc books in the op if not a thread title. Please. This hurts me.

MG310

Ordered 3 more Harley Quinn 0 blank covers for Special Edition NYC next week. Not sure who I'm going to get sketches from on them yet...

Messi

Ordered 3 more Harley Quinn 0 blank covers for Special Edition NYC next week. Not sure who I'm going to get sketches from on them yet...

I'd do bad things for a Harley and ivy sketch cover by Hardin or Conner. Sucks that all the cool cons are in the USA.

how the fuck are ya'll still talking about nocenti catwoman

Because I am here. I am sorry. I think about Queen Nocentis Catwoman way more than I should. It upsets me greatly.

MG310

Thinking an 1887 Harley from Mike Dooney.

harley_1887_take_2_by_michaeldooney-d5jjsm8.jpg

Voror

6J9qAye.gif

I bet you folks not one person voted for this life changing book.

Okay, this is amazing.

I enjoyed both issues of Cyclops thus far, though it's also the first time I've been exposed to any of the O5 X-Men coming to the future.

What exactly is the deal with that anyway? I know Beast brought them, but how does this work exactly. Are they time copies and the past is still running forward like it should because I find it extremely hard to buy that the O5 will be returning to the past with their memories of these events intact.

Unless Marvel wanted to use it to mess up the timeline bad or something. I could totally see them pulling that for some event. Hell, they could even use that as the basis for a reboot.
Don't do this Marvel.

ElNarez

Banned
Never read Young Avengers, is it a good read?

The Gillen-McKelvie-Wlson run is basically the most forward-thinking superhero comic of the last five years. Like, we've had loads of throwback stuff, and tinkering with old ideas, but Young Avengers was new, almost militantly so. It is the best possible kind of comic, and that is the one that you'd want to recommend to others. Get yourself some of that STAT.

I kind of hope they clone the O5 or some timey-wimey mumbo jumbo and get to keep the young X-Men in the present.

Or just keep young Cyclops. He's the best version of Cyclops ever.
I just realized X-Men Apocalypse could have young Cyclops.

Vibranium

Banned
So Punisher was still pretty great, but the anticlimactic ending did kind of suck, hopefully Edmondson makes up for it (I kind of would like to see a Castle-Domino relationship). Black Widow I can totally agree that we need more of an overall plot structure, and for Natasha to have more fun. Phil Noto is killing it but I may have to drop it after the Frank/Natasha crossover.

Original Sin was freaking awesome, and I'm actually not worried at all about 2 of my favourite characters:
Fury is definitely an LMD here, and as for Bucky I wouldn't be surprised if it was some sort of programming from his WS days that was reactivated. Overall I have hope Nick Blandy Junior won't be the only Nick in 616.

Unless Marvel wanted to use it to mess up the timeline bad or something. I could totally see them pulling that for some event. Hell, they could even use that as the basis for a reboot.
Don't do this Marvel.

I actually support a reboot/clearing up of continuity. Crap like Hank Pym being a wife-beater and Scarlett Witch going nuts needs to go away. Also, they could bring in the superior SLJ Fury from the Ultimate Universe and kill Junior.

Messi

Hey Cheska/Messi, can you convince Ann to write more creator-owned stuff instead of
getting paid for sub-par work
? Just tell her she'll set the independent comics scene on fire.

I dream of a future where Queen Nocenti writes a new Legion of Superheroes and leaves my poor Selina alone.

I'm sure others here would attest that she has written some good stuff before. Maybe Catwoman is the wrong fit for her. She doesn't seem to get the character at all.

Vibranium

Banned
I dream of a future where Queen Nocenti writes a new Legion of Superheroes and leaves my poor Selina alone.

I'm sure others here would attest that she has written some good stuff before. Maybe Catwoman is the wrong fit for her. She doesn't seem to get the character at all.

Hmm, I've read some non-Catwoman/Green Arrow stuff of hers (forgot where) but wasn't impressed at all. Marvel and DC need to push for younger female writers instead of people like the Queen.

Boogiepop

Oh yeah, quick question I was wondering about: I intend to eventually pick up Uncanny X-Force, but thanks to the stock of instocktrades it's gotten put off, while I have the Wolverine and the X-men omnibus coming now. I believe I heard there's supposed to be some overlap with plot points to at least some limited degree, yeah? Anything too bad (I'd already read the first two trades or so of Wolverine and the X-men prior) that would require me setting aside the omnibus till I can get X-Force, or am I clear to go ahead and read it without worrying about serious spoilers or anything?

Oh yeah, quick question I was wondering about: I intend to eventually pick up Uncanny X-Force, but thanks to the stock of instocktrades it's gotten put off, while I have the Wolverine and the X-men omnibus coming now. I believe I heard there's supposed to be some overlap with plot points to at least some limited degree, yeah? Anything too bad (I'd already read the first two trades or so of Wolverine and the X-men prior) that would require me setting aside the omnibus till I can get X-Force, or am I clear to go ahead and read it without worrying about serious spoilers or anything?

Hmmm, I think I'd wait. How much do you already know about Angel/Archangel's appearances in WatXM? Have you met Genesis? These are the key characters...if you don't even know who Genesis is, definitely wait. And don't go googling him >;p

I'm pretty touchy about spoilers, though.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Were the first 12 issues of Catwoman written by this Nocenti fellow? Beucase I really liked them.

No, Judd Winick, and it actually started out sexy and promising.

It's not even fun to shit on Nocenti because she's so irrelevant to comics currently.

Messi

No, Judd Winick, and it actually started out sexy and promising.

It's not even fun to shit on Nocenti because she's so irrelevant to comics currently.

Absolutely.

Guillem March drew this weeks Eternal. His Catwoman is absolutely perfect. Such a great artist. It was written by John Layman I believe. Those two together would be my dream pairing for Catwoman going forward. But that is a pipe dream. Layman wrote the awesome Catwoman Zero Year issue too.

Eternal was fantastic this week. Really loved the Catwoman stuff most. She seems
to be seriously up shit creek the way things stand.
. The rest of the book was just so wacky.

Boogiepop

Hmmm, I think I'd wait. How much do you already know about Angel/Archangel's appearances in WatXM? Have you met Genesis? These are the key characters...if you don't even know who Genesis is, definitely wait. And don't go googling him >;p

I'm pretty touchy about spoilers, though.

I mean, off the top of my head, all I saw was that
Angel thought he was/maybe actually was a literal Angel, and there was also a kid who looks like Apocalypse
. Grrr.... really wish it would just be in stock on instocktrades. I'd totally just order it on Amazon but that's like $10 more, and it looks like cheapgraphicnovels.com (the site my friend uses) doesn't have free shipping, so it wouldn't be much better.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Absolutely.

Guillem March drew this weeks Eternal. His Catwoman is absolutely perfect. Such a great artist. It was written by John Layman I believe. Those two together would be my dream pairing for Catwoman going forward. But that is a pipe dream. Layman wrote the awesome Catwoman Zero Year issue too.

Eternal was fantastic this week. Really loved the Catwoman stuff most. She seems
to be seriously up shit creek the way things stand.
. The rest of the book was just so wacky.

Yeah, March was perfect on Catwoman. Seriously sexy comics that played up Selina's sexuality in a fun way.

As for Eternal, I'm two behind, but I'm getting burnt out on these weeklies already. Each chapter is just not substantial enough to be worth the price paid weekly, and, really, Rafa was right, they kind of just piled the blandest writers onto these projects, tacked on two-three big names, and fire them off with no care because "BIG THINGS ARE HAPPENING". Only big thing happening is a wet fart of a story.

But guys, Elektra is perfect, two issues in. This book is so fucking dope.

I mean, off the top of my head, all I saw was that
Angel thought he was/maybe actually was a literal Angel, and there was also a kid who looks like Apocalypse
. Grrr.... really wish it would just be in stock on instocktrades. I'd totally just order it on Amazon but that's like $10 more, and it looks like cheapgraphicnovels.com (the site my friend uses) doesn't have free shipping, so it wouldn't be much better.

Personally I'd wait but based on those details I'm gonna go ahead and give you the all clear anyway. If you know those characters are at the school (and that Angel is....yeahhhhh), there really isn't much more to spoil.

All right, I'm getting ready to grab a couple of the new Marvel solo character book from among the recently launched stuff to read while I'm on vacation. So far I've narrowed it down to Iron Fist, Elektra, Doop, the new Winter Soldier mini, Ms. Marvel, Silver Surfer and Magneto, but I'm having a tough time just picking two off that list.

I'll have Infinity to read too, so I'm not concerned about volume, just quality. Dare I ask for feedback? What's the top two (I'll also accept top three) from this list?

(I'm gonna hold off on Cyclops until I read the Trial of Jean Grey)

Whoops, didn't mean to double post.

Messi

Go with Magneto because it is doooooope. Newest issue was very cool. It's violent and very much a look into how Magneto thinks and how he feels about his cause.

Then go with Elektra as it is beautiful (this can't be stated enough) the story has been good so far and its only two issues. Then Ms Marvel.

Wait until Winter Soldier Bitter March ends to read it.

frye

Ms. Marvel is really good and a lot better than I thought it would be based on early impressions here. It's the best stretchy-hero comic since Kyle Baker's Plastic Man.

Princess Ugg had a great, GREAT first issue. I couldn't stop myself from reading Ulga's unusual dialogue in Merida's voice. The story doesn't really do anything extraordinary or innovative, but is lovingly crafted and the ending is sure to create future sparks.

Filthy Slug

All right, I'm getting ready to grab a couple of the new Marvel solo character book from among the recently launched stuff to read while I'm on vacation. So far I've narrowed it down to Iron Fist, Elektra, Doop, the new Winter Soldier mini, Ms. Marvel, Silver Surfer and Magneto, but I'm having a tough time just picking two off that list.

I'll have Infinity to read too, so I'm not concerned about volume, just quality. Dare I ask for feedback? What's the top two (I'll also accept top three) from this list?

(I'm gonna hold off on Cyclops until I read the Trial of Jean Grey)

Whoops, didn't mean to double post.
Silver Surfer and Elektra. Those two are two issues in a piece and I'm floored by how invested I am in the stories and how much fun I have reading them.

Oh man, a few good ones there. Doop is only a mini, so I would just wait for the trade to read that one. I think Elektra and Ms. Marvel are the best two books out of that list. But Silver Surfer is up there, too.

I have read comics now from all the companies and have experienced a lot of the artist and I have come to the conclusion the most unique art team in my opinion is Andrea Sorrentino and Marcelo Maiolo on Green Arrow. There is nothing out there like it.

Silver Surfer + Elektra is appealing, that's only four comics. I can totally justify a third book. ;p

Seems like Ms. Marvel or Magneto for that one...Messi makes a compelling case.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Because I am here. I am sorry. I think about Queen Nocentis Catwoman way more than I should. It upsets me greatly.

Dont feel too bad about it. I get irritated whenever i think about what hudlin did to BP

Unai

I have read comics now from all the companies and have experienced a lot of the artist and I have come to the conclusion the most unique art team in my opinion is Andrea Sorrentino and Marcelo Maiolo on Green Arrow. There is nothing out there like it.

I love Andrea Sorrentino's work.

Voror

The Gillen-McKelvie-Wlson run is basically the most forward-thinking superhero comic of the last five years. Like, we've had loads of throwback stuff, and tinkering with old ideas, but Young Avengers was new, almost militantly so. It is the best possible kind of comic, and that is the one that you'd want to recommend to others. Get yourself some of that STAT.

They're actually doing an Omnibus to my surprise.

http://www.amazon.com/Avengers-Kieron-Gillen-McKelvie-Omnibus/dp/0785191712/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1402021720&sr=8-6&keywords=young+avengers

I kind of hope they clone the O5 or some timey-wimey mumbo jumbo and get to keep the young X-Men in the present.

Or just keep young Cyclops. He's the best version of Cyclops ever.
I just realized X-Men Apocalypse could have young Cyclops.

He is really likable and it truly is nice to read a Cyclops who doesn't have all the baggage the present version has. Though I guess that could change.

What is the situation with the Summers family? Is Havok maybe his dad in this version?

I actually support a reboot/clearing up of continuity. Crap like Hank Pym being a wife-beater and Scarlett Witch going nuts needs to go away. Also, they could bring in the superior SLJ Fury from the Ultimate Universe and kill Junior.

Eh, I don't know. I don't feel Marvel continuity is as screwed up as DC's was and I have mixed feelings on the DC one. Didn't he only hit her the one time when he was having some sort of breakdown? It's still not ok of course, but they've addressed it several times and even had Hank angst about what he'd done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom