• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheska

Wouldn't "Complete Collection" be more accurate here? It's "only" 360 pages. The word "omnibus" implies something much larger. I'm probably going to be getting the Grant Morrison Doom Patrol omnibus, for example. Which is 1200 pages.

I'm nitpicking, I know.

I would agree with this. Whenever I hear "omnibus" I think big and heavy :p

Boogiepop

Personally I'd wait but based on those details I'm gonna go ahead and give you the all clear anyway. If you know those characters are at the school (and that Angel is....yeahhhhh), there really isn't much more to spoil.

Man, definitely all worked up to grab this after all. Anyone know how likely it is instocktrades will restock, especially anytime soon? It's listed as "unavailable" right now, and can't be found via normal search for the title through the site, which is worrying (I can still find its page through google at least, though). Also, is cheapgraphicnovels my best backup, or is there a better alternative choice?

Vibranium

Banned
Eh, I don't know. I don't feel Marvel continuity is as screwed up as DC's was and I have mixed feelings on the DC one. Didn't he only hit her the one time when he was having some sort of breakdown? It's still not ok of course, but they've addressed it several times and even had Hank angst about what he'd done.

True, they have addressed it. There is a lot of goofy stuff in Marvel continuity that could definitely be retconned though. In a reboot they could do a Marvel WWII book that actually gave the Invaders/other golden age heroes tactical outfits (like Cap's current gear) and revamped silly characters like Master Man (my idea is to make him like Hans Grosse from Wolfenstein) and touch on heavier stuff. I loved all the clearing up Brubaker did for Captain America continuity but the outfits him and Bucky and others wore should definitely should be fixed, out of respect to real WWII veterans.

Marvel should really hire a dedicated editor who is in charge of design documents/continuity for their entire universe. It's important to give writers leeway but you can't let them ignore everything.

Voror

Wouldn't "Complete Collection" be more accurate here? It's "only" 360 pages. The word "omnibus" implies something much larger. I'm probably going to be getting the Grant Morrison Doom Patrol omnibus, for example. Which is 1200 pages.

I'm nitpicking, I know.

I've always viewed it as being a complete run in one book with some exceptions. This does seem to be the smallest Omnibus I've seen.

How long did Waids run on Daredevil go before they relaunched as a number #1? I just started reading the first volume and got through the first 8 issues before taking a break and it has been amazing. This is top tier comics.

Cheska

How long did Waids run on Daredevil go before they relaunched as a number #1? I just started reading the first volume and got through the first 8 issues before taking a break and it has been amazing. This is top tier comics.

Pretty sure 36 was the last one before the move.

Bii

36. Daredevil's still my current favorite ongoing even after the renumbering/relaunch.

Edit: Beaten by Cheska.
Edit 2: Wait, Cheska. Are you the same Cheska that was on The Tester?!

All right, I'm getting ready to grab a couple of the new Marvel solo character book from among the recently launched stuff to read while I'm on vacation. So far I've narrowed it down to Iron Fist, Elektra, Doop, the new Winter Soldier mini, Ms. Marvel, Silver Surfer and Magneto, but I'm having a tough time just picking two off that list.

I'll have Infinity to read too, so I'm not concerned about volume, just quality. Dare I ask for feedback? What's the top two (I'll also accept top three) from this list?

(I'm gonna hold off on Cyclops until I read the Trial of Jean Grey)

Whoops, didn't mean to double post.

Silver surfer is my favorite of the bunch but a glaring omission is Loki: Agent of Asgard. It's the best book that nobody's reading...and it's 2.99.

sca2511

Nabbed the first set of Bombshells variants, will likely pre-order the rest and a print of the Catwoman and maybe Canary, but not likely. Would love a print of Kate, but to no avail. Kind of dislike the variant game, but I'm such a sucker.

goddamn, 184 pages

those IDW and Dark Horse paperback "omnibuses" also come to mind

Yeah, that's true. Dark Horse was pissing out those Star Wars omnibus volumes for years. I guess they gotta make dat money while they can. I imagine all the old stuff goes out of print as soon as Disney gets the comic license.

sca2511

Yeah, that's true. Dark Horse was pissing out those Star Wars omnibus volumes for years. I guess they gotta make dat money while they can. I imagine all the old stuff goes out of print as soon as Disney gets the comic license.

My friend loves those Star Wars Omnibuses

Bii

That would be me =]

I was rooting for you to win. :(

On a comic-related note, I planned on picking up the bombshell cover for Action Comics but my LCS had ran out.
I haven't payed more than the cover price for a variant...yet. That Amazing Spider-Man #1 by Marcos Martin is tempting me.

My friend loves those Star Wars Omnibuses

I own a bunch of them. Mostly the earlier ones before they started going bananas with it. Tales of the Jedi, Rise of the Sith. That time frame. They're great if you haven't read the stories they contain. They're a bit small, though. It's the opposite of an oversized hardcover.

On a comic-related note, I planned on picking up the bombshell cover for Action Comics but my LCS had ran out.
I haven't payed more than the cover price for a variant...yet. That Amazing Spider-Man #1 by Marcos Martin is tempting me.

I try not to pay more than cover price... But I had to for the 8-bit variant of Superior Foes.

sca2511

I own a bunch of them. Mostly the earlier ones before they started going bananas with it. Tales of the Jedi, Rise of the Sith. That time frame. They're great if you haven't read the stories they contain. They're a bit small, though. It's the opposite of an oversized hardcover.

Where would one start with the Star Wars Omnibuses? I'm rather interested, but just clueless on where to begin.

Where would one start with the Star Wars Omnibuses? I'm rather interested, but just clueless on where to begin.

The Star Wars expanded universe chronology is all over the place, which is why Disney is rebooting all of it. Alot of the omnibus volumes are just a bunch of standalone stories. The big multipart epics like Clone Wars and Knights of the Old Republic are obvious, as they're all labeled Volume 1, 2, 3, etc.

Tales of the Jedi volumes 1 and 2 are what I started with. And although Knights of the Old Republic is a longer series, it's well worth a read. Star Wars Legacy, which was instead rereleased in three condensed hardcover volumes (instead of the paperback omnibuses) is also excellent. That's the one that follows Cade Skywalker, and takes place some 130 years after the original movies.

Messi

I have read comics now from all the companies and have experienced a lot of the artist and I have come to the conclusion the most unique art team in my opinion is Andrea Sorrentino and Marcelo Maiolo on Green Arrow. There is nothing out there like it.

JH Williams art on Batwoman/Sandman was/is pretty unique.

So, Moon Knight. That skull page was fucking incredible. But this book is in no way shape or form a satisfying read. Every issue just - ends, it always feels like it needs a page or two extra. It's worth it for the art sure, but godamn Ellis you contrarian motherfucker, write a whole story not just the middle.

This is the same feeling I had when reading it. I thought there was supposed to be extra pages, the ending is super unsatisfying. Rest of the book was great though.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I have read comics now from all the companies and have experienced a lot of the artist and I have come to the conclusion the most unique art team in my opinion is Andrea Sorrentino and Marcelo Maiolo on Green Arrow. There is nothing out there like it.

Early Jae Lee and Alex Maleev say "hi". Also is quite tonally similar to early JHW3 as well.

I quite like it but like Jae Lee it makes me feel uncomfortably claustrophobic and breathless. This kind of very posed, statuesque art always has that affect on me, it's super weird.

Messi

This variant is really awesome

tumblr_mxe99gCu0D1qhyhwto1_500.jpg

Hey Spike! Natasha's not the only one writing the comic, throw a guy a bone here! :p

Also, that cover isn't for Issue 2, that's the cover for the Issue 1 reprint. This,

is the cover for Issue 2!

List for the week:
Loki #5
Magneto #5
Ultimate Spider Dude #2
Moon Knight #4
Original Sin #3

UGH WHEN IS BEE AND PUPPYCAT WEEK D:
UGH IT'S TOO FAR
UUUUUUUUUUUUGH

It comes out next week! Please refrain from reading the previews that just went up online, they spoil something we worked REALLY hard on and wanted to be a big surprise for everyone when they get their copies! D:<

My titles of the hour

Bee and Puppycat (NEED MORE VIDEOS)
Rat Queens
Sex Criminals
God is Dead
Ms Marvel (OH MAN. I wub me some Ms Marvel. The latest issue was adorable)
Manhattan Projects
Bee and Puppycat (needed mentioning twice)
Transformers More than Meets the Eye (Don't like Robots in Disguise as much)
By "videos" do you mean episodes? They're working as fast as they can! It's supposed to launch this fall I believe? Hang in there, it'll be worth it!

phoenixyz

So guys, I am currently going through Morrisons Batman run and I am not sure how to proceed after R.I.P. Should I just read the main Final Crisis series and then continue on to the Pre-New52 Batman and Robin?

The latest Magneto was an interesting one. Definitely fixed my complaint of "where is this going" while introducing a new character that could be interesting to see more of. The last pages were pretty messed up, but they worked well with the story that's been building up until now.
The last pages were awesome. You had to make your mind up at that moment who you root for.

This variant is really awesome
tumblr_mxe99gCu0D1qhyhwto1_500.jpg
What is Death doing on the cover?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
So guys, I am currently going through Morrisons Batman run and I am not sure how to proceed after R.I.P. Should I just read the main Final Crisis series and then continue on to the Pre-New52 Batman and Robin?

The last pages were awesome. You had to make your mind up at that moment who you root for.

What is Death doing on the cover?

You don't even really need final crisis tbh. Spoiler that you already know about -
Batman gets zapped by Darkseid
. There is a little two parter, probably in that Time and the Batman abortion of a trade collection that goes over the stuff that happened from a more Batman-centric view.

It comes out next week! Please refrain from reading the previews that just went up online, they spoil something we worked REALLY hard on and wanted to be a big surprise for everyone when they get their copies! D:<
You're killing me, dude! >.<
I'mma fight the urge. lol

For sure. I feel like the first four issues just didn't have more than violence and "eh" character development around some pretty cool art. Now? I can't wait for the next issue. It was well done.

How does comic-gaf not have a website yet? Wrassle-gaf does. You guys could do reviews and have your blurbs end up on trades! Some of these reviews are front cover worthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom