• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I'm going to believe that the Allred hate is insincere. There's no possible way to hate Allred's art, right? I mean, I could imagine someone not being blown away by Allred's art, but not hating it.

Also, Gillen's Young Avengers is pretty universally loved, right? I was reading a lot of praise for it a while back, then a little bit after that, I thought I read a bunch of people talking about how it was pretty disappointing (but there's a definite possibility I was just getting Young Avengers mixed up with something else... Avengers Academy maybe?), and now I'm reading more praise for it.
Basically just trying to work out ahead of time whether or not I should get that "omnibus" coming out in December.

I'm going to believe that the Allred hate is insincere. There's no possible way to hate Allred's art, right? I mean, I could imagine someone not being blown away by Allred's art, but not hating it.

Also, Gillen's Young Avengers is pretty universally loved, right? I was reading a lot of praise for it a while back, then a little bit after that, I thought I read a bunch of people talking about how it was pretty disappointing (but there's a definite possibility I was just getting Young Avengers mixed up with something else... Avengers Academy maybe?), and now I'm reading more praise for it.
Basically just trying to work out ahead of time whether or not I should get that "omnibus" coming out in December.
He draws lips of someone who only has kissed their Grandmother for reference.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I actually like all of Allred's art except his faces. He has a habit of making everyone look very masculine regardless of gender, and they can look very similar to each other. Aside from that though, I have no issues with his art.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Maybe I'm just very easy to please, but none of these nitpicky issues some of you guys have with artists bother me at all. Haha

I wonder if it's possible to find an artist nobody has a quarrel with.
How about Francavilla? How could anyone possibly dislike anything about Francavilla?

Owzers

I didn't think much of Young Avengers by Gillen, it seemed too happy with itself without having a good enough story to back it up.

Maybe I'm just very easy to please, but none of these nitpicky issues some of you guys have with artists bother me at all. Haha

I wonder if it's possible to find an artist nobody has a quarrel with.
How about Francavilla? How could anyone possibly dislike anything about Francavilla?

I've never seen anyone dislike J.H. Williams III's art

I absolutely loved Gillen's Young Avengers. One of my favourite books last year. The scene with Marvel Boy in the nightclub was one of my favourite layouts in modern comics.

ReAxion

The Gillen-McKelvie-Wlson run is basically the most forward-thinking superhero comic of the last five years. Like, we've had loads of throwback stuff, and tinkering with old ideas, but Young Avengers was new, almost militantly so. It is the best possible kind of comic, and that is the one that you'd want to recommend to others. Get yourself some of that STAT.

I crushed issues 1-12 via Unlimited last night (all that's available). I'm glad of it.

Gillen's Young Avengers was really good, but Avengers Arena was better. They were two of my favourite books last year.

Runaways is the Marvel deal currently on comixology. It comes with my highest recommendation. I think most of it is on Marvel Unlimited though. The bundle doesn't seem to include the Runaways/Young Avengers crossovers.

Also, I subscribed to Thrillbent so I could get volume one of Empire. Anyone here read it? Does it live up to its' quasi-legendary status?

Owzers

Good to know. Thanks!

As people have mentioned reading things on MU though, i'd definitely look into it if you have Marvel Unlimited to see what you think of it for yourself. I just wouldn't throw $30-40 at the omnibus blindly.

ReAxion

Runaways is the Marvel deal currently on comixology. It comes with my highest recommendation. I think most of it is on Marvel Unlimited though. The bundle doesn't seem to include the Runaways/Young Avengers crossovers.

All of it is on Unlimited, including all of Runaways/Young Avengers.

Boogiepop

Man, definitely all worked up to grab this after all. Anyone know how likely it is instocktrades will restock, especially anytime soon? It's listed as "unavailable" right now, and can't be found via normal search for the title through the site, which is worrying (I can still find its page through google at least, though). Also, is cheapgraphicnovels my best backup, or is there a better alternative choice?

Anyone? (Talking about Uncanny X-Force Omnibus btw, if that's no longer clear).

phoenixyz

You don't even really need final crisis tbh. Spoiler that you already know about -
Batman gets zapped by Darkseid
. There is a little two parter, probably in that Time and the Batman abortion of a trade collection that goes over the stuff that happened from a more Batman-centric view.

Sooo... which issues would be a recommended read between RIP and Batman&Robin? And what about Battle for the Cowl?

Messi

He draws lips of someone who only has kissed their Grandmother for reference.

95.gif

I look like a crazy person laughing like a hyena on the bus.

Allred haters coming out of the woodwork, what the hell man. However i support differences of opinions so it's all good
as wrong as they may be

decided to re-read the first volume of Uncanny X-Force because i hadn't read it in like two years and i've gotten the later volumes since then. It's a hella good action comic. Opena + White is an ace fuckin team. I appreciate a well-written Deadpool that isn't coming off as trying too hard as well

You're killing me, dude! >.<
I'mma fight the urge. lol
Thanks man. When I saw the preview yesterday and how unceremoniously they just tossed in a page of what we worked so hard on without any explanation or context I was PISSED hahaha >:C

Excited for Bee and Puppycat 2, WordAssassin!

Thank you! Hope you enjoy it!!

Aye. Who's doing Bee's voice because she's ace.

It's Allyn Rachel, Natasha saw her in a commercial forever ago and when they were doing casting she went through literally over 100 voices (maybe way more, can't remember) before remembering her and having Frederator contact her. She's super nice!!

ReAxion

I have an opinion on Allred's work, but I'm not going to indicate positively or negatively. What you got for me, angel?

Allred > Pulido.

Only an insane person would think otherwise...though I don't hate Pulido as much as most. Allred is great because his wife is one of the best colorists out there and she almost always colors his stuff. Allred's work on the Batman 60s stuff is downright sublime, though.

Bii

Moon Knight #1-4

14361342955_c43ae924d3_o.jpg

amirite?

If you want the Marvel digital codes to Moon Knight #1-4, first person to quote/post in this thread gets it.

Moon Knight #1-4

14361342955_c43ae924d3_o.jpg

amirite?

If you want the Marvel digital codes to Moon Knight #1-4, first person to quote/post in this thread gets it.

Bii, maybe we can arrange something where I can get your Cyclops digital code every month and I'll give you one of mine? If there is something I am pulling that you are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom