• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose, given the thread about book-shaming in OT, I should just be glad people are reading anything even if it's not very good.

I am just grumpy today, my exam results are out on Monday and I feel like this right now. Also, I bought a Chromecast a few days ago, whenever I go into YouTube it auto-plays from the suggested videos and I have no idea how to turn it off.

strobogo

Banned
Finished the Uncanny X-Men trade. It was pretty dope. Really enjoyed it. Covered the Dark Avengers and Dark X-Men and Cyclops' real rise to power, the literal rising of Utopia, Emma/Cyclops dealing with The Void, and Beast's torture and leaving of the X-Men. I dug pretty much all of it. A few issues in there weren't connected to anything and weren't that good. But the story and art I liked a lot.

I assume that all eventually led to Schism, which I read a while ago and didn't like nearly as much as this run of stories. I'll start the first year of Ultimate X-Men tomorrow.

Messi

Moon Knight #1-4

14361342955_c43ae924d3_o.jpg

amirite?

If you want the Marvel digital codes to Moon Knight #1-4, first person to quote/post in this thread gets it.

Flawless Victory.

fauxtrot

Banned
How does everyone feel about FBP? I (mostly) like the art and the premise, but I only got ~3 issues in before I got a little bored and ended up starting something else rather than finishing it. I'm sure I'll read the rest of Vol 1 some time soon, but I was a little underwhelmed with the story so far and some of the sciencey details seem a little hokey. It's definitely not "hard sci-fi", but it sorta acts like it wants to be (or maybe that's just me projecting my expectations onto the series... I dunno). That and I feel like the art is having a hard time creatively and comprehensibly conveying what is happening when physics start to go awry... especially the "bubble-verse" issue. I'm hoping the second half of the trade grabs me, though.

Wait, wasn't James Stokoe supposed to be a part of this? Weird...

Either way, it's looking great. I hope he's still writing & drawing the Avengers 100th Anniversary issue! I need more of this in my life:

So IST has punishermax omnibus for sale but I have a couple questions

1) is Jason Aaron's run good? I've already read Rucka and Ennis runs btw
2) how is a 23 issue omnibus so expensive? $100 base price for a 23 issue run? Whaaa? Even half off it seems over priced

I can't tell if ComicGaf is serious about Cyclops... I mean I want to read it, but I'm scared it'll be crap and it was all a big joke I wasn't in on.

On a completely different note everyone ought to read Milligan and Allred's X-Force / X-Statix as part of their comics education. From having read that I have come to love Allred and he has become one of my all time favourite artists. I get what people are saying about the lips, it's all part of the style and appeal.

I can't tell if ComicGaf is serious about Cyclops... I mean I want to read it, but I'm scared it'll be crap and it was all a big joke I wasn't in on.

On a completely different note everyone ought to read Milligan and Allred's X-Force / X-Statix as part of their comics education. From having read that I have come to love Allred and he has become one of my all time favourite artists. I get what people are saying about the lips, it's all part of the style and appeal.
I'm sure it's good. Rucka never writes crap. I do think the quotes is a contest to see how over the top they can be.

fauxtrot

Banned

I imagine it's great (Rucka is solid as hell), but isn't there a ton of prerequisite reading to fully appreciate it? All New X-Men, Guardians of the Galaxy, etc...

I could be wrong though.

MY MAN.

4bc5f09acc3a5.jpg

I just made it weird, didn't I...

So IST has punishermax omnibus for sale but I have a couple questions

1) is Jason Aaron's run good? I've already read Rucka and Ennis runs btw
2) how is a 23 issue omnibus so expensive? $100 base price for a 23 issue run? Whaaa? Even half off it seems over priced

I just have all the singles, and might sell 'em and get trades, but...

Aaron's run is very good. He's a good writer, and he's suitable in following Ennis for the conclusion of Frank Castle's journey. Similar in tone to Ennis, but he makes it is own.

Bii

It's really solid in both art and storytelling. With there being only two issues so far, definitely give it a go if you have the slightest interest in Cyclops at all.

zeeaykay

I've been reading Batwoman: Elegy, and it brings up an interesting question...

Is it acceptable to sacrifice art/form over story/function?

Don't get me wrong, the art is beautiful and sometimes JH gets away with inventive, lush, and functional spreads. However, I've found myself multiple times having to pause, figure out which panel to read next, and then hope I made the right decision. It really does take some immersion out of it, and kills a sense of rhythm when almost every page has a different layout.

On the other hand, some of these pages are so outstanding, from a purely aesthetic perspective, that it's hard to not appreciate it. I'd rather have some of these pages on my wall than in a book, though.

Other books, like Zero, manage to get the balance down a little better, without being quite as extravagant.

What do yall think? Anyone have a similar experience? Do you prefer form or function?

Messi

It's good, not world changingly good though.

I'm sure it's good. Rucka never writes crap. I do think the quotes is a contest to see how over the top they can be.

It absolutely was. Some of us can't possibly be serious with the hyperbole.

ReAxion

I don't think it is sacrifice as much as trying to achieve something and falling short. Composition done well should lead the eye effortlessly. Sounds like it just wasn't well executed.

Don't get me wrong, the art is beautiful and sometimes JH gets away with inventive, lush, and functional spreads. However, I've found myself multiple times having to pause, figure out which panel to read next, and then hope I made the right decision. It really does take some immersion out of it, and kills a sense of rhythm when almost every page has a different layout.

On the other hand, some of these pages are so outstanding, from a purely aesthetic perspective, that it's hard to not appreciate it. I'd rather have some of these pages on my wall than in a book, though.

Other books, like Zero, manage to get the balance down a little better, without being quite as extravagant.

What do yall think? Anyone have a similar experience? Do you prefer form or function?

I like both depending on the story. Just check out David Mack and his amazing kabuki series. The pages and blending of the narrative in some his later volumes istruly amazing. I do t want every book like it but it's great that it's there.

And for comic GAF. Buy Kabuki. It's awesome.

For example. http://davidmackguide.com/portfolio/kabuki/previews/vol05/04c.shtml

I got this X-Statix omnibus sitting right here. gonna get to it after i finish up the Dark Angel Saga in UXF

YES. FOUND THE BLACK-AND-WHITE VARIANT FOR MS. MARVEL.
All is right with the world.

Also bought some Spider-Man What-Ifs from years back and Captain America/Ghost Rider - Fear. All for $3.

Edit: Found some cool little DC/Marvel cards that have a list of the "essential" comics to get from DC and a list of the Original Sin issues to get.
Really convenient stuff!

fauxtrot

Banned

Funnily enough, I'm going to start reading this series this weekend, so it'll be interesting to see if I have the same issue. Were there not subtle visual cues to help guide your eyes from the correct panel to panel naturally?

zeeaykay

It's definitely worth a read, and I liked the second half more than the first so be sure to finish it.

Sometimes it not so much not knowing where to go but there not being a rhythm to it. I think you'll know what I mean when you read it. Either way you're left having to decypher the page instead of effortlessly read through it and be immersed in the story.

Don't get me wrong, though. There are times where he uses less conventional layouts that work brilliantly, particularly when he shows a broader view of a room/house/city in the center and then puts the dialogue and action panels on the outside.

JEKKI

whooo~!!! found this for like $11!!

10454001_423712301102071_1337467249_n.jpg

no idear what it's about lol but I love dat 90s shit!

lookin forward to reading it!

What horrible things are you people saying to each other now?

My Fatale Deluxe Edition HC came in the mail today. :D

Hey Spike! Natasha's not the only one writing the comic, throw a guy a bone here! :p

Also, that cover isn't for Issue 2, that's the cover for the Issue 1 reprint. This is the cover for Issue 2!
Fixed with apologies.

whooo~!!! found this for like $11!!

10454001_423712301102071_1337467249_n.jpg

no idear what it's about lol but I love dat 90s shit!

lookin forward to reading it!
I think I remember what that was about... to my recollection, it was the first BIG crossover event of the Wildstorm Universe, encompassing all their books.

Boogiepop

Said screw it and ordered the Uncanny X-Force Omnibus off of Amazon, both because I also wanted to grab the Mega Man Star Force Complete Works (last of the Complete Works I needed, and I saw that most of the others are once more out of stock and price jacked to hell, so it seemed like a good idea to just jump on it), and part because I didn't want to start dealing with cheapgraphicnovels.com. Probably overpaid a bit, but now I'm pretty sure I'll actually end up getting Uncanny X-Force before Wolverine and the X-men, so that's something at least.

Said screw it and ordered the Uncanny X-Force Omnibus off of Amazon, both because I also wanted to grab the Mega Man Star Force Complete Works (last of the Complete Works I needed, and I saw that most of the others are once more out of stock and price jacked to hell, so it seemed like a good idea to just jump on it), and part because I didn't want to start dealing with cheapgraphicnovels.com. Probably overpaid a bit, but now I'm pretty sure I'll actually end up getting Uncanny X-Force before Wolverine and the X-men, so that's something at least.

In for a treat.

frye

Anybody get the Inhumanity HC this week? How is the story?

I'm thinking about buying it from IST if the story is worth a read.

It's just a collection of tie-ins to a really ill-defined event that nobody cares about. Looks like it doesn't have any Ms. Marvel either, which is probably the most interesting thing that came out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom