• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

Finished volume 1 of Wolverine Enemy of the State:

yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh Millar books.
Soooo wolverine had to settle for only talking about wanting to rape several of the x-men and possibly murdered another because the Marvel Universe has standards?

Millar book.

frye

That's the X-Force where they stab things with claws and knives except Domino (who stabs things with bullets)

Wait, Brian Wood is the new writer on Moon Knight? This is not a joke? "Warren came to us with six stories to tell..." "Brian and artist aren't doing Moon Knight 7-12, they are doing Moon Knight volume 2." Hahahahahahhahahahahaha

Catching up on some last comics from last week. Higgins really undersold it by comparing it to Mad Men. It went places where The Incredibles dare not enter. Wow.

Hah. I'd literally just finished reading that then came over to check on this thread.

So cool though. Especially since Pearls Before Swine is basically the only comic strip I read anymore.
I can't imagine how nerve-wracking it would be to be Stephan Pastis in that situation.

I wonder if anyone suspected anything when they read them.

LosDaddie

Banned
It's just a collection of tie-ins to a really ill-defined event that nobody cares about. Looks like it doesn't have any Ms. Marvel either, which is probably the most interesting thing that came out of it.

Lame! I guess I'll save the money.

Thanks for the reply

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I wonder if anyone suspected anything when they read them.

Yeah. I read them for the first time after reading that article and, knowing what I'd just read, it was pretty easy to see that it was Watterson's artwork. I mean, it wasn't super obvious, but when you know it's him you can see the similarities pretty easily. But I can't imagine I'd guess it was him if I didn't already know.
I mean, who in a million years would guess that they'd see new Watterson work in the daily comics? And in a Pearls Before Swine strip on top of that. Pretty crazy stuff.

Yeah. I read them for the first time after reading that article and, knowing what I'd just read, it was pretty easy to see that it was Watterson's artwork. I mean, it wasn't super obvious, but when you know it's him you can see the similarities pretty easily. But I can't imagine I'd guess it was him if I didn't already know.
I mean, who in a million years would guess that they'd see new Watterson work in the daily comics? And in a Pearls Before Swine strip on top of that. Pretty crazy stuff.
You wouldn't believe what else he is ghost writing and drawing.

I don't know why anyone at Marvel thought it would ne a good idea for Brian Wood to write Moon Knight. Have they READ his company books? Good thing Axel says he is only doing issues 7-12. Get those pitches ready brahs!

4bc5f09acc3a5.jpg

I just made it weird, didn't I...

I think given the context that's quite acceptable!

I don't know why anyone at Marvel thought it would ne a good idea for Brian Wood to write Moon Knight. Have they READ his company books? Good thing Axel says he is only doing issues 7-12. Get those pitches ready brahs!

What happened to Brian Wood? He used to be such a good writer. DMZ, Local, Northlanders.....

Cheska

I'm honestly surprised they're giving him more work right now, he's not exactly very popular with folks at the moment.

Voror

With the all the Ant-Man stuff going on, can anyone recommend some Ant-Man books? The only one I've ever read was Irredeemable with O'Grady.

Zombine

Banned
On a scale of 1-10 how horrible am I if I go digital + trades? I've missed the past two weeks due to scheduling issues and I'm feeling pretty bad about it.

His corporate books are the definition of sterile and lifeless.c

The first arc he did on X-Men was decent, though. After that, it just got terribly boring. His run on Ultimate Comics X-Men wasn't too bad, either.

I'm honestly surprised they're giving him more work right now, he's not exactly very popular with folks at the moment.

oh yeah, because of that whole...thing. Hasn't that blown over yet?

Zombine

Banned
oh yeah, because of that whole...thing. Hasn't that blown over yet?

Nope. Guy has basically been found out and it's his scarlet letter now thankfully. I'm still pissed marvel employs him. The beginning of his Star Wars book was entertaining but it flatlined pretty fast.

kswiston

Nope. Guy has basically been found out and it's his scarlet letter now thankfully. I'm still pissed marvel employs him. The beginning of his Star Wars book was entertaining but it flatlined pretty fast.

based on Diamond Comics numbers every month, I don't think most comic readers actually follow industry related news.

Yeah, I think I dropped his Star Wars book around issue 8. It was just retreading the same type of bullshit all of the other expanded universe stuff set in the time frame already did years ago. I now have no Brian Wood books on my pull.

Zombine

Banned
Yeah, I think I dropped his Star Wars book around issue 8. It was just retreading the same type of bullshit all of the other expanded universe stuff set in the time frame already did years ago. I now have no Brian Wood books on my pull.

At first I thought it was great. It fit tightly between A New Hope and Empire, to the point where it was safely a part of cannon, but that dude has a masters degree in meandering.

I am willing to be money on his book being one of the few things brought over into cannon territory due to his relationship with Marvel.

Boogiepop

Just confirming, but the DC One Million Omnibus is a good read, and self contained, yeah? Thinking I'm going to grab it as a friend's birthday gift.

Messi

On a scale of 1-10 how horrible am I if I go digital + trades? I've missed the past two weeks due to scheduling issues and I'm feeling pretty bad about it.

I did it and I saved alot of space and money. On Comixology you get a fairer price than you do in my store. It makes it easier to trim bad books (sans Catwoman). Going forward back to remember stuff us much easier when they are a swipe away.

I miss reading image books physically. Dat paper quality.

Still buying 5 books physical and trades of stuff I love (and Catwoman)

Zombine

Banned
I did it and I saved alot of space and money. On Comixology you get a fairer price than you do in my store. It makes it easier to trim bad books (sans Catwoman). Going forward back to remember stuff us much easier when they are a swipe away.

I miss reading image books physically. Dat paper quality.

Still buying 5 books physical and trades of stuff I love (and Catwoman)

Messi seal of approval! Will do.

The problem is that I used to go to the comic book store around 1ish after I was done with my part time job, but after I got bumped to full time instead of going to the shop my schedule changed so I hit the gym right after work instead. I have my radio shit on the weekend so by the time I come home on Saturday I just don't feel like going out. Also, paper actually was becoming an issue. I just don't have the space for the floppies anymore and I'm getting destroyed by the price of bags and boards.

Zombine

Banned
Really? My shop gives bags away free with each comic, and boards are like, $0.10 each.

Oh see what I do is I wait until my books are
Over flowing, I get bitched at, and then I go and buy 100 packs of Current boards and bags which comes out to like $16 or something. That stabs me right in the wallet when a typical week for me is anywhere from $20-60.

I'm having a lot of fun reading X men stories from Whedon's run. I know some comics have problems with permanence, but having events so huge that their affects are still relevant years later makes reading through so entertaining, and I'm loving Cyclops turning pretty jaded and desperate.

I also love Cable and Hope's TLOU-like relationship.

Messi

Oh see what I do is I wait until my books are
Over flowing, I get bitched at, and then I go and buy 100 packs of Current boards and bags which comes out to like $16 or something. That stabs me right in the wallet when a typical week for me is anywhere from $20-60.

I was paying 18€ for 100 bags and boards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom