• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MG310

Think this is my commission from Gabriel Hardman for next week's con :D (He could always have multiple Caps though)

tumblr_n6tdyjyqUX1taqbkuo2_1280.jpg

MG310

Midtown bags and boards everything so at least I don't have to deal with that anymore. Used to wait entirely too long and then hate having to do organize/bag everything.

Still have the issue of reaching the limit of my shelves and have no room for short/long boxes though. I pretty much go a year, then purge what I don't feel was worth keeping/intend to buy in trade form.

Espi

Banned
Really? My shop gives bags away free with each comic, and boards are like, $0.10 each.

Yeah I get a bag and board for $.10 at mine.

Although I spend the money and get resealable ones from midtowncomics. I hate having to use tape to seal the bag.

Also, 60-70 comics a month? I don't know how you do it. The money part is insane on it's own, how do you even find the time to read all of them?

Messi

Yeah I get a bag and board for $.10 at mine.

Although I spend the money and get resealable ones from midtowncomics. I hate having to use tape to seal the bag.

Also, 60-70 comics a month? I don't know how you do it. The money part is insane on it's own, how do you even find the time to read all of them?

I read a lot, I read in bed and in work.

I have just had to back away from Sideshow Collectibles. I could feel my hand moving closer to buying some crazily priced beautiful statues. Damn you Cheska.

Zombine

Banned
A year in this current run of comics with an average pull of 60-70 books a month :/. Not sustainable.

I don't even measure my count but it definitely
Is bad. I would say I'm either right around there monthly or ten under. I'll be honest I have no fun dragging out long and short boxes to re-read my books, either.

I have just had to back away from Sideshow Collectibles. I could feel my hand moving closer to buying some crazily priced beautiful statues. Damn you Cheska.

They're not very cost-effective, especially if you don't have the space to display them. They're usually close to 2ft tall.

Unai

I don't live in the USA, and physical books here are of horrible quality, so I stopped buying comic books in my country and started buying trades paperback from InStockTrades and buying the odd stuff from comixology during sales.

I think it was a really good decision. The price is not bad, the books are of higher quality (yes, even the DC books are much better than the ones I can buy here).

The only cons are the shipment takes on month and I'm not reading things in my native language, but at least I'm reading in the original language so there's that.

I have a really, really huge wishlist.

It was 60 bust, 150 full, 300 2 characters.

http://www.gabrielhardman.com/2014/06/special-edition-nyc.html

Now I believe I will have to rip myself in two to try to get a sketch from Francavilla and Manapul. Going to try Francavilla first since he has a bunch of prints that he's only bringing 3-4 of each.
Very reasonable! hope he swings down here again soon. FF is gonna be at San Diego and i may gotta opt for a print or something, because i can only splurge so much

MG310

Yeah, I'm not sure what Francavilla is charging now...he's been selling more complete sketches on his own site for between 3 and 500 over the past month. Going to have to check at the show. The most up to date price I've seen was from 2012 and I imagine he's commanding a higher rate than 60 bust/200 full at this point.

Plus regular NYCC tickets go on sale the Wednesday after the show so it'd be nice if I could keep some of my money to put towards that.

Owzers

i'm reading bad comics again and it's making me feel like a Catwoman reader. I think i'm going to abandon Wolverine Enemy of the State vol 2.

I LOVE The Long Halloween. It was one of my first Batman comics (my brother had a copy of it) and I really got into the whole year-long story and everything. I'm a big fan of Tim Sale's art too, so that helps! I liked Dark Victory a lot too.

Was at work and didn't get a chance to read any of my books. Time to read New Warriors!

Yeah I enjoyed it because it felt like a genuine mystery case, something that I'd like to see more in Batman arcs. I just learned about Dark Victory so I'll have to check that out. Also just read through Kingdom Come, Alex Ross's art style is fantastic, but I admit its hard to distinguish perception in his art (atleast for me). Might be my favorite DC comic, I'd love to see it adapted to an animated film, but they would have to do it in two parts like DKR, theres so much detail they can't skip over. First half would be from the beginning to when the gulag is constructed, and the second part from there to the end.

My small all DC list. Weird no indies or Marvel this week.

BATMAN ETERNAL #10 $2.99
COFFIN HILL #8 (MR) $2.99
DETECTIVE COMICS #32 $3.99
INFINITY MAN AND THE FOREVER PEOPLE #1 $2.99
JUSTICE LEAGUE UNITED #2 $3.99
NEW 52 FUTURES END #6 (WEEKLY) $2.99
SUPERMAN WONDER WOMAN #9 (DOOMED) $3.99

Finished up Captain America Castaway in Dimension Z Book 1 after holding off on it for almost a year now.

Love the story and writing but I'm not all that crazy about JRJR's art here, I felt like it was kind of messy and hard to follow. I want to grab Book 2 but I've got enough to follow at the moment so it'll have to wait. Happy I read it either way, Remender is so great.

Anyone read Red Lanterns? I heard it's good from someone but I need some more opinions

I adore it. Before Sinestro, it was the only Lantern book I was reading. I would start with Charles Soule's run which started somewhere in the 20's.

Red Lanterns #21 onwards and you can pick up Volume #4, which collects from #21 to like #28+ an annual. And yeah, I absolutely adore it too.

Depending on your knowledge of Lanterns or not you can understand what is going on; there is an emphasis on the main character, Guy Gardner, turning what is otherwise a group that has seemed to be mindless extensions of rage into a force of Justice. Where the Green Lanterns deal with a crime after it happens, they try to be more proactive. Also about making them more of a family.

Espi

Banned
Thanks.

I'll start from the beginning, if it sucks i'll just make me appreciate the Soule run even more. It would feel weird to me not starting from the beginning, I feel like I would be missing stuff

Thanks.

I'll start from the beginning, if it sucks i'll just make me appreciate the Soule run even more. It would feel weird to me not starting from the beginning, I feel like I would be missing stuff

Well if you decide to go that route just be aware that Red Lanterns got pulled into a crossover or two along the way so a few issues may be tie ins to those depending on how the trades were collected.

Batman Beyond Universe #22:

:D

Surprise Terry is alive. It was a hologram. And now he has an upgraded Kryptonite infused Batsuit to go round two against Justice Lord Superman.

Tizoc

i'm reading bad comics again and it's making me feel like a Catwoman reader. I think i'm going to abandon Wolverine Enemy of the State vol 2.

Let me help you get back on track-
I recommend IDW's Dungeons and Dragons comic by John Rogers.
Alternatively Greg Rucka's Wolverine run is superb.

Messi

Got back 8 books I gave to a friend a few months ago and my Walking Dead compendium has multiple coffee cup stains on it. Too nice to mention it. But clearly that were using it as a coaster.

Zombine

Banned

My comic book shop explicitly states that you should never read or buy a book you aren't enjoying. There is nothing wrong with abandoning garbage.

Got back 8 books I gave to a friend a few months ago and my Walking Dead compendium has multiple coffee cup stains on it. Too nice to mention it. But clearly that were using it as a coaster.

I've had friends get mad at me for not lending shit out, but this is exactly why. When you didn't pay for it yourself, you have no obligation to take care of it.

So I recently got some The Goon by Eric Powell. I am in awe of this guy's comedy and imagination. He's the best I've seen since Steve Purcell's Sam and Max series. The Goon might be my new favorite comic. I also love pulp and noir. I'm not a fan of zombies but I swear everything they do with them in this comic is perfect.

While I'm at it, have some Sam and Max.

Messi

What Would Harley Do.

I got autocorrected.

Are you suggesting I blow up his house?

My comic book shop explicitly states that you should never read or buy a book you aren't enjoying. There is nothing wrong with abandoning garbage.

I've had friends get mad at me for not lending shit out, but this is exactly why. When you didn't pay for it yourself, you have no obligation to take care of it.

Yeah but what if Catwoman gets a lot better? We wouldn't know without me reading it.

Zombine

Banned
Are you suggesting I blow up his house?

Yeah but what if Catwoman gets a lot better? We wouldn't know without me reading it.

It is an eventual fact that the current creative team will be pulled away from the book. You'll know if you like the next team right away, past stories won't matter, and you'll have a ton of user/site reviews to rely on. Why continue to pay Nocenti? I know you love the character, but I feel the same way about X-Men. Brian Wood is holding my favorite characters captive, but that doesn't mean I should continue to reward him for writing bad stories.

Tizoc

So I recently got some The Goon by Eric Powell. I am in awe of this guy's comedy and imagination. He's the best I've seen since Steve Purcell's Sam and Max series. The Goon might be my new favorite comic. I also love pulp and noir. I'm not a fan of zombies but I swear everything they do with them in this comic is perfect.

While I'm at it, have some Sam and Max.

The Goon is indeed a great comic, but waiting for a new issue is lame, we'd be lucky to get 2 issues in a year haha.

Messi

It is an eventual fact that the current creative team will be pulled away from the book. You'll know if you like the next team right away, past stories won't matter, and you'll have a ton of user/site reviews to rely on. Why continue to pay Nocenti? I know you love the character, but I feel the same way about X-Men. Brian Wood is holding my favorite characters captive, but that doesn't mean I should continue to reward him for writing bad stories.

With X-Men you get to have your characters in other better books like all new and uncanny. I only get Selina in her solo and now Eternal every once in a while. Seeing a good Selina in Eternal has made the problems with her solo book more apparent if that was possible.

Brian Wood does X-Men? That book is bland as fuck and so aimless. Even I dropped it and it has characters I love and an all female team. If I drop it you know it's bad.

--

Think I'm gonna trade wait FBP

Savitar

Not directed at you Messi, but I have to ask the question. Why do people sexualize Harley Quinn when she's a tragic victim of horrific abuse?

People sexualize that which they adore and like. Quinn has always been like this.

Remember her singing to the Joker covered only in pudding in the show.

Originally she was suppose to have a much more sexy design but since it was a kids show this was not allowed.

The Arkham game design was aid to be more in the spirit of what she was envisioned as.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom