• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not directed at you Messi, but I have to ask the question. Why do people sexualize Harley Quinn when she's a tragic victim of horrific abuse?

Same reason any character gets sexualized. They can. Comics tend to gloss over or ignore the more unpleasant aspects; Most things in comics don't hold up under scrutiny.

Zombine

Banned
Batman has untreated PTSD that lead to him using violence to try and deter a similar event like the death of his parents from ever happening again while creating more villains than actually ever solving any real problems. Same goes for other tragic back stories like Harley's.

The foundation of our comics are flimsy and stupid to begin with, so it's not a great idea to try to break down moral aspects of certain characters and how they are written. You'll just end up with a headache.

Originally she was suppose to have a much more sexy design but since it was a kids show this was not allowed.

The Arkham game design was aid to be more in the spirit of what she was envisioned as.

Eh, it's not that I'm telling people not to, it just always seemed a bit odd to me. I don't know of a more sexualized and lusted after character from American geek culture, really, which is why I think it's more strange to me. Once in a while here or there I'd expect it, but it's pretty prominent. I mean, she's a fairly cute character on the surface, but the core of her character is anything but. Then again maybe most people look at her more as a playful psycho like Joker and less a tragic victim of his mental and physical abuse.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
People sexualize that which they adore and like. Quinn has always been like this.

Remember her singing to the Joker covered only in pudding in the show.

Originally she was suppose to have a much more sexy design but since it was a kids show this was not allowed.

The Arkham game design was aid to be more in the spirit of what she was envisioned as.

sometimes restraint is better

Zombine

Banned
I don't know of a more sexualized and lusted after character from American geek culture, really, which is why I think it's more strange to me.

I think you misinterpret the Male/Female fandom of certain characters. I think Harley looks cool. I enjoy how she's written and I especially love the dynamic she has with Catwoman and Poison Ivy. The way she is drawn plays little into why I enjoy her and the other female characters I love to read about.

Are there guys like that? Absolutely. But it isn't a generalized "shame on you because she's a victim and we are sexualizing violence" situation. It's reading far too into the character.

I don't know of a more sexualized and lusted after character from American geek culture, really, which is why I think it's more strange to me.

What, you shocked people would be attracted to a bubbly sexpot who's attracted to people no matter how much shitty they treat them and doesn't seem to have any strong interests outside being dedicated to them?

Messi

I have long hated the Jokers abuse of Harley Quinn. It's why I'm glad Joker is largely missing from her solo series.

But sadly it looks like futures end will fix that on the abuse front. :(

HarleyQuinn-A-580-537e968fa7ed74-99374786-aec0f.jpg

HarleyQuinn-B-580-537e96b9dee843-87425759-71bb8.jpg

Zombine

Banned
I have long hated the Jokers abuse of Harley Quinn. It's why I'm glad Joker is largely missing from her soli series.

Also, I can almost guarantee you that if Harley was a shitty character to begin with you wouldn't even bother with her. Your rationale for liking a female character is not "omg boobs." Like is being suggest of fans who enjoy female characters. Even Powergirl has depth and the boob jokes are just a gag.

Let's take this example for instance. I think this cover is fantastic. Harley is drawn incredibly well and feminine but I'm not getting all hot and bothered by it. I also love that her waist is drawn more like an actual woman's instead of the Liefield rip/hip/organless male fantasy female forme that plagues a lot of current books to this day.

Edit: Totally unrelated, but these sort of covers are the only acceptable form of tracing. It would be a bitch to line up those sketches any other way. Draw the initial, then trace the new image over it.

I think you misinterpret the Male/Female fandom of certain characters. I think Harley looks cool. I enjoy how she's written and I especially love the dynamic she has with Catwoman and Poison Ivy. The way she is drawn plays little into why I enjoy her and the other female characters I love to read about.

Are there guys like that? Absolutely. But it isn't a generalized "shame on you because she's a victim and we are sexualizing violence" situation. It's reading far too into the character.

Sure, there's more to the character than that, and I definitely get that people can like her for more than sexualization. I do! I never said everyone does that and I wasn't targeting anyone.

Stuff like the Arkham games' portrayal and the way DC sometimes has her drawn bothers me, though.

Zombine

Banned
Sure, there's more to the character than that, and I definitely get that people can like her for more than sexualization. I do! I never said everyone does that and I wasn't targeting anyone.

Stuff like the Arkham games' portrayal and the way DC sometimes has her drawn bothers me, though.

Oh yeah absolutely! Do not take that as me being a jerk at all. Your question was definitely appropriate and it should be asked because comic writers in general get lost in their own horse shit trying to put their mark on a character while conflicting with the original vision.

I tend to step up to explain why I prefer well written female characters over men due to the fact that people from the outside (not you) tend to overreact and come to the conclusion that all male fans are deviant men-children who live vicariously through the characters and develop unrealistic expectations of how a female should be/act.

Tizoc

Her Arkham design is trash, she looks like a stripper groupie. Fuck that unimaginative shit.

Her original design was clever and thought out.

Messi

Gotham City Sirens proved both types of Harley Quinn can work. The old costume and the newer ones. I hate how adverse they are to using the old costume now. It still rocks.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
That's the Unreal Engine for you. I would complain but when you have "unreal" in your engine name you'd be setting yourself up for disappointment if you expected anything other than that.

Unreal has nothing to do with character design. Its an engine.

Zombine

Banned
Unreal has nothing to do with character design. Its an engine.

Have yet to see a character in Unreal that isn't abnormally ripped or a female character that isn't top heavy with small arms. Engines have restrictions and that seems to be one for Unreal 3.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Have yet to see a character in Unreal that isn't abnormally ripped or a female character that isn't top heavy with small arms. Engines have restrictions and that seems to be one for Unreal 3.

You mean like Mirror's Edge?

Zombine

Banned
You mean like Mirror's Edge?

Let's not be like that. You know I'm speaking about any third person action game that used UE3. Also, horrid example. Police and Swat fall into the same "bulky dudes" example.

Edit: also, not the place. You win, I lose, whatever. UE3 is perfect and it's in no way an issue with the engine. Back to comics and Harley.

It's always Harley and Selina in here. You know another kitty that just as good? Black Cat. Her scene with Daredevil in his run was good!

Deadly

Batman Beyond Universe #22:

:D

Surprise Terry is alive. It was a hologram. And now he has an upgraded Kryptonite infused Batsuit to go round two against Justice Lord Superman.

Regular humans being fooled I thought was ok. But Superman? It was a rock for gods sake!

Regular humans being fooled I thought was ok. But Superman? It was a rock for gods sake!

Prep time Batman > *
But I chalked it up to the suit being, seemingly, more advanced than the one he had previously. It was designed by a Batman who had been fighting against Lord Superman for many years. He'd specifically design it to counter him as best as possible.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Man, I'm re-reading Final Crisis right now and I don't get how more people don't love it. Well, I can understand it, I guess, but I digress.

It's just so incredibly exciting. It's the only comic I can think of that really captures that feeling of things happening on such epic proportions and everything falling apart at once. There are so many threads happening at one time but it still all just works.
More than any other comic, Final Crisis just feels so big. It really is a joy to read.

I do think I'm enjoying it a lot more the second time. The first time I read it, I still had great fun and got that feeling of something of epic proportions taking place, but I also didn't really have a clue what was going on. Now that I already know the general plot and also know more about the DC universe in general, I can actually follow the plot much easier but it still retains that excitement.

And additionally, there's something about JG Jones' art that I reeeally like. I can't really put my finger on it, but the art is really enjoyable for me.

Man, I'm re-reading Final Crisis right now and I don't get how more people don't love it. Well, I can understand it, I guess, but I digress.

It's just so incredibly exciting. It's the only comic I can think of that really captures that feeling of things happening on such epic proportions and everything falling apart at once. There are so many threads happening at one time but it still all just works.
More than any other comic, Final Crisis just feels so big. It really is a joy to read.

I do think I'm enjoying it a lot more the second time. The first time I read it, I still had great fun and got that feeling of something of epic proportions taking place, but I also didn't really have a clue what was going on. Now that I already know the general plot and also know more about the DC universe in general, I can actually follow the plot much easier but it still retains that excitement.

And additionally, there's something about JG Jones' art that I reeeally like. I can't really put my finger on it, but the art is really enjoyable for me.

you hear that Parallax

'nother man joins the winning team

I wonder what's going to happen next for Captain America... Is Steve's
transformation "permanent" going forward, or are we going to see him recover shortly? The preview artwork for next issue shows him as an old man still, and the story was titled 'Super Soldier No More' but IIRC Fury and Duggan got the same treatment from Iron Nail and they recovered.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

I fucking love J.G. Jones covers.

What have you done with Doop, Kipp?

Hellers

One of us.

Like a lot of stuff these days it reads better in one chunk instead of over a number of months. Or in the case of Forever Evil a number of ice ages.

The trade got a re-released, right? New reading order and everything? I might finally give it a run-through.

Hellers

Please tell me how it is. I don't think anyone here actively reads it and I want to know if Vampirella is a genuinely good book or trash.

Three issues in and it's certainly not what I was expecting. She's essentially Blade. Goes around killing Vamps (In regular clothes too). There's a plot going about a giant worm and it's all played totally straight. Not bad so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom