• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stop reading after the conclusion to the great war. You'll have read the entire reason Fables was made, and you'll have gotten the most important and best parts of it.

Edit: Don't want to sound too pessimistic. The first 60+ issues that lead to the end of the war are absolutely incredible, and feature some of the best character arcs I've read. So many "fuck yeah" moments in that series, coupled with excellent writing in general.

As much as I love that series and ended up reading well past that, the series did take a massive hit to its quality.

Bii

Stop reading after the conclusion to the great war. You'll have read the entire reason Fables was made, and you'll have gotten the most important and best parts of it.

Edit: Don't want to sound too pessimistic. The first 60+ issues that lead to the end of the war are absolutely incredible, and feature some of the best character arcs I've read. So many "fuck yeah" moments in that series, coupled with excellent writing in general.

It would have been perfect had it ended on issue 75 or whenever the Adversary arc ended. So many twists and turns and, as you've said, "fuck yeah" moments. When new comic readers ask for suggestions, I always suggest those issues of Fables. It's what actually got me hooked on comics.

So how does everybody arrange their TPBs/hardcovers on their shelf?

Alphabetical? By release? Split by publisher?

I had 10 or so trades here and split them up by DC/Marvel/Image and then by Alphabetical and it was nice, but then once I migrated the other ~20-30 trades I had at my parents' to my apartment, I don't really know how to arrange it. Doing so by publisher puts Image between DC and Marvel and having a bunch of Walking Dead TBPs in the middle of the collection when it starts with a W just seems weird.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
As much as I love that series and ended up reading well past that, the series did take a massive hit to its quality.

It would have been perfect had it ended on issue 75 or whenever the Adversary arc ended. So many twists and turns and, as you've said, "fuck yeah" moments. When new comic readers ask for suggestions, I always suggest those issues of Fables. It's what actually got me hooked on comics.

You really get an epic--in the proper way, not the internet way--story for those 75 issues. It starts relatively small, but with hints of massive events in the past, and then rolls the past to the present and turns into the fucking grandest series for a while. I think it's time for a reread.

What are your favorite examples of really over the top comic panel sound effects? I think I've become a really big fan of "KRAKOOM" lately. Whenever you see that lovely effect you know someone be gettin' rekt.

Example:

losh7-tpb-1-fight-scene.jpg

PSN: Supermanizdead
NNID: Supermanizdead

LIST TIME:

All-New X-Men #28
Nightcrawler #3
Original Sins #1
Uncanny X-Men Special #1

Uncanny Special looks ridiculous.

Espi

Banned

I had 10 or so trades here and split them up by DC/Marvel/Image and then by Alphabetical and it was nice, but then once I migrated the other ~20-30 trades I had at my parents' to my apartment, I don't really know how to arrange it. Doing so by publisher puts Image between DC and Marvel and having a bunch of Walking Dead TBPs in the middle of the collection when it starts with a W just seems weird.

Marvel/DC/Image alphabetical.

I would probably just do a straight up alphabetical order but the Infinity HC would look weird just being in the middle of regular trades and hardcovers.

Split by publisher, then alphabetical by character in release order. For Marvel, events since 2004 are filed under Avengers and then DC events and Elseworlds are filed under Justice League unless they have the name of a character in the title i.e. Superman: Red Son.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
What are your favorite examples of really over the top comic panel sound effects? I think I've become a really big fan of "KRAKOOM" lately. Whenever you see that lovely effect you know someone be gettin' rekt.

Example:

Don't have a pic but there was a STANK or something in Sorrentino's Green Arrow a few issues ago that was hilarious.

Or YOLO appearing in--Elektra, maybe? I can't remember. But I'll look tonite.

Bii

Umm, mine is kind of wonky. I have them split by publishers and usually alphabetically except for the case of my Green Lantern trades (starting with Rebirth). That one is sorted by reading order. I also grouped my Fables/Fairest/spin-offs together and then alphabetically.

Split by publisher, then alphabetical by character in release order. For Marvel, events since 2004 are filed under Avengers and then DC events and Elseworlds are filed under Justice League unless they have the name of a character in the title i.e. Superman: Red Son.

I don't have any events comics yet but that sounds like a good way to handle it.

Marvel/DC/Image alphabetical.

I would probably just do a straight up alphabetical order but the Infinity HC would look weird just being in the middle of regular trades and hardcovers.

Ah, see I had DC/Image/Marvel but DC/Marvel/Image or Marvel/DC/Image would be nice.

Boogiepop

Having around 1700 or so volumes of manga has kind of ruined my organization. I mostly just do what I can to keep series together, but even that can be difficult, since I'm always getting new stuff too. And then that laziness has kind of extended over to my American comics as well (probably have somewhere around 80-100 trades if you count omnibuses/collections as their parts instead for easy counting), though at least for now those have definitely been able to stick together by series. I guess it's mostly a combo of series and then company+size to determine organization for now.

BTW, how big is everyone else's collection on here? Is anybody else just drowning in books? Or do you guys manage to keep things somewhat under control?

Organized by publisher then they are organized by series/character in release date.

I only have ~100 or so trades and books though, my collection's not that crazy.

Bii

BTW, how big is everyone else's collection on here? Is anybody else just drowning in books? Or do you guys manage to keep things somewhat under control?

I've only been reading off and on since 2011, so my collection is not as big as others here. I have around 80-90 trades and three short boxes filled with my fourth short box about 1/4 full. So no, it's not out of control, yet. Haha

lordmrw

Example:

It would have to be something from Walt Simonson's run on Thor. I'm also thinking of an issue from Wonder Man's monthly series (I want to say issue 5 or 8) that has a two page spread of Wonder Man punching the shit out of Splice

So I got bored at work.. here is all the PSN names so far
(PSN to the right)
EDIT: (I will keep adding names as they come)

KoruptData = KoruptData
Messi = RemyWilde
Freezasaurus = Freezasaurus
Cheska = Cheska19
GrandHarrier = GrandHarrier
Tyrant Rave = PR1M3R1B
Bii = Socheata
Gketter = DarkKnight77
Slightconfuse = THESLIGHTCONFUSE
Espi = SirRobes
Sca2511 = sca2511
Gipsy Danger = fenix1989uk
Shin Johnpv = ShinJohnpv or Shin Johnpv
CorporateClown = CorporateClown
Supermanisdead = Supermanizdead
GrandHarrier = GrandHarrier
ThyMusicMan = TruKill420
Sillymonkey321 = Owzers
WadiumArcadium = WadiumArcadium
Tizoc = tizoc789
Jedeye Sniv = JedeyeSniv

ReAxion

Lil list:
AVENGERS UNDERCOVER #5 ANMN
SECRET AVENGERS #4 ANMN
SHE-HULK #5
edit: I forgot UNITED STATES OF MURDER INC #2!

Considering All-New Ultimates #3, but I don't know why, I don't like it so far.

arkon

Definitely drowning in books. Especially since I switched from trades-only to floppies as well. The problem is exacerbated by my fiction and non-fiction novel collection as well.

Really need to sit down and sort through what I have and sell off what I don't want to keep.

Owzers

i need ps4 friends...i'll try to add some of you people, my psn is Owzers

i don't play injustice. ever. but we can still be friends

Cheska

Oh God, I don't even want to think about all the books I organize when my weekly IST order comes in ._.

Essentially I start off with publisher, then categorize those in alphabetical order. I keep TPBs separate from hardcovers and omnibus.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

Alphabetical. Although I've now more than filled my main 8 shelf, 3 foot wide bookcase, so I've been removing less beloved chunks and tucking them away in other shelves. Also, oversized books are on a different shelf. Ultimately, it'll always be a mess until I fulfill my dream and have a home with a big library.

If anyone's looking for more PS4 friends feel free to add me. PSN's WadiumArcadium like my GAF name.

It's a Red Hot Chili Peppers reference.

I organise my trades by publisher but I haven't got a huge collection so I don't have to worry about it too much.

Example:

It's not a sound effect persay but I do like that people still use"AIIIIEEEEEEE!"

Any comics that will start soon and seem to be decent?

Im collecting Southern Basterds, Deadly Class, Nailbiter and Trees right now. And im trying to get Moon Knight 1-4 too. Woods was unavailable (Unfortunately).

Maybe trying to get The Bunker and American Vampire.

Anyone know how Translucid is?

tim1138

The third issue in August features "that incredible dreamscape sensibility that Starlin used to bring to his books," DiDio says. "It's basically Beautiful Dreamer having a conversation with the Anti-Life Equation."

Ungh, put it into my veins.

I cannot recommend the entirety of Kirby's Fourth World Saga enough to anyone who hasn't read it. Best comic story ever.

Brahs, my Dad had a heart attack over the weekend. It seems wrong to bring up or think like this but I want the people that matter most o be around when I achieve comics superstardom. I want to make everyone proud......

tim1138

Brahs, my Dad had a heart attack over the weekend. It seems wrong to bring up or think like this but I want the people that matter most o be around when I achieve comics superstardom. I want to make everyone proud......

Just went through that with my father in law last week. My thoughts are with you Rafa.

Bii

Ah man, sorry to hear that. I hope your dad is well.

Cheska

Rafa, I am so so sorry to hear that :( I'll be keeping you and your family in my thoughts, he's going to pull through!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom