• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Espi

Banned
I'm down to play some Injustice on PS4.

PSN = SirRobes

Would give me a reason to use it. In the past two month I've only turned it on for WWE Network. Might be getting an X1 depending on how E3 goes tomorrow

Why is pee gee so uncomfortable with physical contact. I noticed that in power trip. She makes that face several times when people hug her.

That particular incarnation of Karen didn't really have a lot of close friends nor was she used to the sort of carefree exuberance that Terra had.

I'd also be interested in some PS4 Injustice @ fenix1989uk.

My list this week:
Batman Eternal #10
The Walking Dead #128
All New X-Men #28
Amazing Spider-Man #1.2
Captain Marvel #4
New Avengers #19
She-Hulk #5

That should be everything. Still on the fence about ASM #1.2. Wasn't really feeling the last Learning to Crawl issue tbh. Excited to read Captain Marvel and She-Hulk as they've both been pretty great so far.

finished up the last Scarlet Spider issues. damn, David Baldeon is pretty terrible. Not Khoi Pham level-bad, but he might be the second worst artist to work on the series. and given the amount of mediocre artists working on the series, that's saying something. it also definitely has a "cancellation ending" which is a shame. Def. picking up the New Warriors TP next month though. At least Marcus To is good.

So, Green Lantern #32 sees the turning of the tide. It had to happen, eventually, but I was enjoying seeing the Corp on the ropes like that in a way that wasn't a single entity being the threat, but something a bit more mundane.

MY PSN is TruKill420,, I don't play as much as I used too, I usually play COD, Battlefield or NBA 2k14. I'll have to pick up Injustice, looks sweet.

LISSSST:
DC COMICS:
BATMAN ETERNAL #10
DETECTIVE COMICS #32
F.B.P. #11
SUPERMAN WONDER WOMAN #9

MARVEL:
UNITED STATES OF MURDER INC. #2

And BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA #1 (released last week)

Started the Planetary Omnibus last night. So far, so good. Although I am drawing a lot of parallels between the multiverse stuff and what Hickman was doing at the beginning of avengers/new avengers (didn't read past 10-ish so can't comment past that).

See I was all fine ignoring Injustice but not I may have to get it to play some of ComicGAF online. I'll try to remember to add people when I get home from work tonight.

PSN: ShinJohnpv or Shin Johnpv (can't remember if it has a space or not)
NNID: ShinJohnpv

Just finished reading Infinity last night and overall, I enjoyed it. Don't think there was one wasted issue between Infinity, Avengers and New Avengers. The moment when
Thor killed the builder by throwing Mjolnir around the sun
was probably my favorite scene in the whole series. Was not a huge fan of
Thanos' son being the reason he came to Earth, or him trapping Thanos in carbonite basically.
Other than that, thought it was a pretty great event.

Todays reason Messi should read the Legion: Tinya Wazzo of Bzgtl, aka Phantom Girl.

tumblr_mv6c69MVw51ropcs7o4_400.jpg

I just read the latest Batman Beyond, that last page sooooo good.

I've really been enjoying the Beyond books, they've done a really good job of capturing the theme, spirit, and feelings of the shows. Much better than the Samurai Jack book.

I just read the latest Batman Beyond, that last page sooooo good.

I've really been enjoying the Beyond books, they've done a really good job of capturing the theme, spirit, and feelings of the shows. Much better than the Samurai Jack book.

Are we talking that dope as shit
Kryptonite Batsuit?
Cause if so, yeah, that's a great last page. The Beyond books really are amazing.

These are all so bland and no namers.

You're a bland no namer.

No way. Phantom girl is great. Only shadow lass is better.

I'm with you... Except for the part where Shadow Lass left Mon-El for Earth Man. I mean, really? I get she has a thing for strong men. But really? ;)

What do I even buy to get the Legion experience?
I got hooked with DnAs legion lost. Which was recently traded. Self contained mini series that doesn't require much knowledge of events before. Give it a shot. I really digged it. It lead to a great DnA series and then a reboot with waid at the helm that was pretty good. I have less experience with the levitz classic run

Bruce is such a dork
It's great we're moving to the main story in JL8. God I wish this was a full series to increase the release of issues. And he's talking to robin again. Yes!

Messi

Anyone got any female led books to recommend that I don't already read? Old runs are welcome too as the last ones that were recommended were great (Pee Gee Power Trip, Dini Zatanna, Brubaker Catwoman)

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Anyone got any female led books to recommend that I don't already read? Old runs are welcome too as the last ones that were recommended were great (Pee Gee Power Trip, Dini Zatanna, Brubaker Catwoman)

Did you read the Bryan Q Miller Batgirl stuff, pre52? Very much up your alley. Short series too, only 4 trades I think.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

Rucka's Batwoman Elegy? It's the only good Batwoman run as far as I'm concerned.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
OMAC was fucking dope. Forever People is therefore gonna be dope also.

His last written thing was a Batcow story, and it was super dumb. But I heard OMAC was fun as shit.

ElNarez

Banned
His last written thing was a Batcow story, and it was super dumb. But I heard OMAC was fun as shit.

OMAC was just "I'm gonna kick back and let Giffen go ham on this Kirby shit and maybe I'll put some words on it whatever". Doing the same with the Forever People is the dopeness equation and you should pull it for you, your friends and your family.

tim1138

I feel guilty being excited for a Dan Didio book. Did Giffen do that cover? If so I have higher hopes for the art then. Nails that feel.....

Yep, Giffen did the cover. Their OMAC was pretty freaking great and I expect much the same from this. At least for the six issues it gets before cancelation.

ElNarez said:
OMAC was just "I'm gonna kick back and let Giffen go ham on this Kirby shit and maybe I'll put some words on it whatever". Doing the same with the Forever People is the dopeness equation and you should pull it for you, your friends and your family.

ElNarez dropping all kinds of truth here.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I read the first trade I think. I'll look into it

Edit : yeah that's waaaaay out of print. Maybe it's on Comixology.

I'm caught up on Batwoman and it's one of my favorite books.

If you like Rucka and feel like getting into something a bit more serious then maybe Queen and Country? Most of Rucka's protags are women and he does a cracking job with it. Q+C is a great spy book. He also did a well regarded Wonder Woman run.

If you can stomach crazy shit and want some badass artwork, maybe check out Multiple Warheads by Brandon Graham. It's wacky and stupid and has a character called Sexica. Come on!

Filthy Slug

If you like Rucka and feel like getting into something a bit more serious then maybe Queen and Country? Most of Rucka's protags are women and he does a cracking job with it. Q+C is a great spy book. He also did a well regarded Wonder Woman run.

If you can stomach crazy shit and want some badass artwork, maybe check out Multiple Warheads by Brandon Graham. It's wacky and stupid and has a character called Sexica. Come on!

Was there ever a Rucka written Renee Montoya as The Question book? That was one of my favorite parts of 52 (pretty sure it was 52), but I don't recall anything past that written by Rucka, using Renee.

Also, fucks yes to Multiple Warheads. In fact, any recommendation for any Brandon Graham work should be listened to. A lot of his shit is silly, sexy, sometimes juvenile, often genius, but I can never get over that art. Fucking hell is that guy incredible.

finished up the last Scarlet Spider issues. damn, David Baldeon is pretty terrible. Not Khoi Pham level-bad, but he might be the second worst artist to work on the series. and given the amount of mediocre artists working on the series, that's saying something. it also definitely has a "cancellation ending" which is a shame. Def. picking up the New Warriors TP next month though. At least Marcus To is good.
It looks like the first trade got pushed back to September unfortunately. It's a good series so far though, the first four issues were kind of slow but the most recent one was great.

Have you read She-Hulk by Dan Slott?

Btw, today's free book on Comixology is the first issue of Afterlife with Archie

Was there ever a Rucka written Renee Montoya as The Question book? That was one of my favorite parts of 52 (pretty sure it was 52), but I don't recall anything past that written by Rucka, using Renee.

Also, fucks yes to Multiple Warheads. In fact, any recommendation for any Brandon Graham work should be listened to. A lot of his shit is silly, sexy, sometimes juvenile, often genius, but I can never get over that art. Fucking hell is that guy incredible.

Final Crisis: Revelations and the stories included in the back of his Batwoman run are the only ones if I'm not wrong.

Edit: Also The Question: Five Books of Blood and The Question: Pipeline, as wikipedia informs me.

Hmm let's see.

- Banadette - the French cat woman. Fun, light hearted, great art. Digital only but .99 cent per issue. I think it's up your alley
- Amelia Cole - another digital only comic with a woman that uses magic thrown into a strange parrellel universe. Also fairly upbeat
- Kabuki. The definitive work of David Mack. It's about a young woman codenamed "Kabuki", acts as an agent and television law-enforcement personality for a clandestine government body known as "The Noh"
- queen and country. An indie spy comic by Rucka that's great and fairly grounded
- ruckas Wonder Woman run that is a must read and the definitive run of the character.
- Batgirl with spoiler is great
- Chase. A shortened story all recently collected in a trade is really good. By JH William III
- Alias. By Bendis. A good harsh detective series in the edges of MU
- Terry Moores work is all amazing. Strangers in Paradise for romantic drama/comedy, Echo for scifi super hero (all collected in an omnibus), Rachel rising for horror.
- she hulk by slot is great fun. Sexually his first series

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

There were a couple of post-52 minis that served as Renee/Kate books - Crime Bible and FC Revelations, both of which are firmly in Rucka's Renee/Kate/Helena timeline. IMO Rucka stealthy built his DC Bat-verse career as one long narrative. Starts in No Man's Land (his very first story gave Montoya more character development in 20 pages than she'd had in a decade), through Detective Comics where he starts to build Renee up, then into the Huntress/Question mini where Helena meets Vic, then into Gotham Central then into 52, then Crime Bible, FC Rev and then finally to Batwoman with the Renee Question backups.

Batwoman is kinda incredibly complex when you consider all of the Rucka-verse history that's present in it. All of the werewolf shit is kinda out of nowhere without the obscure Detective run as groundwork. Not to mention the Crime bible stuff.

Messi

It looks like the first trade got pushed back to September unfortunately. It's a good series so far though, the first four issues were kind of slow but the most recent one was great.

Have you read She-Hulk by Dan Slott?

Btw, today's free book on Comixology is the first issue of Afterlife with Archie

I've not actually read that.

Hmm let's see.

- Banadette - the French cat woman. Fun, light hearted, great art. Digital only but .99 cent per issue. I think it's up your alley
- Amelia Cole - another digital only comic with a woman that uses magic thrown into a strange parrellel universe. Also fairly upbeat
- Kabuki. The definitive work of David Mack. It's about a young woman codenamed "Kabuki", acts as an agent and television law-enforcement personality for a clandestine government body known as "The Noh"
- queen and country. An indie spy comic by Rucka that's great and fairly grounded
- ruckas Wonder Woman run that is a must read and the definitive run of the character.
- Chase. A shortened story all recently collected in a trade is really good. By JH William III
- Terry Moores work is all amazing. Strangers in Paradise for romantic drama/comedy, Echo for scifi super hero (all collected in an omnibus), Rachel rising for horror.

I shall look into these. I have the first issue of Banadette from a few months back.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Hmm let's see.

Sexually, eh?? Mrrrrowww

Also a good book is Rucka's Stumptown series. Again a bit darker than Harley et al but a very likable lady protag and good detective stories.

Rucka is tha shit.

Cheska

Messi, since I just posted about it yesterday, have you already read Fables? There are definitely some strong women in there :)

If you're looking for something more recent then Fearless Defenders by Bunn and Sliney was a wonderful read!

Sexually, eh?? Mrrrrowww

Also a good book is Rucka's Stumptown series. Again a bit darker than Harley et al but a very likable lady protag and good detective stories.

Rucka is tha shit.
Ugh. Auto correct got me again! I meant to say especially.

Oh yea. Those too. I forgot about that series. Another good detective story. And just follow Rucka in general. He always either starts with a female lead or sneaks one in like he did with batman, punisher, etc

Another good Rucka run was his Elektra series. Real good stuff

Messi

Messi, since I just posted about it yesterday, have you already read Fables? There are definitely some strong women in there :)

If you're looking for something more recent then Fearless Defenders by Bunn and Sliney was a wonderful read!

I am currently reading the first deluxe HC. Snow White takes no shit.

Filthy Slug

I am currently reading the first deluxe HC. Snow White takes no shit.

Stop reading after the conclusion to the great war. You'll have read the entire reason Fables was made, and you'll have gotten the most important and best parts of it.

Edit: Don't want to sound too pessimistic. The first 60+ issues that lead to the end of the war are absolutely incredible, and feature some of the best character arcs I've read. So many "fuck yeah" moments in that series, coupled with excellent writing in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom