• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought this month :
Translucid #1-2
Moon Knight #1-4
Trees #1
Deadly Class #1-4
Nailbiter #1
Cyclops #1
Southern Basterds #1-2

I hope i did good with my second month of Comics :D
Next Month im going to buy the rest of Sandman #2-10 TP.

Boogiepop

Got my instocktrades order in, and HOORAY! The TMNT Annual cheap edition is effectively a trade. Really glad I didn't splurge for the "deluxe hardcover edition" since this was both cheaper and will fit better with my collection. So happy!

Batgirl 32 was great. I jumped back in with this issue because it's caught up with current events. People are gonna love the team-up at the end.

I adored Infinity Man and The Forever People! There is a certain charm to it that I could tell it's going to be something I like. Love the Kirby reference.

tim1138

Huge smile on my face while reading Infinity Man and the Forever People. DiDio may not know how to run a company, but he knows how to write Kirby creations and Giffen is well, Keith Giffen. I enjoyed the slight changes to the Forever People, especially Big Bear. The Kirby reference was perfect. For pure reading joy, it's gonna be well nigh impossible to top this as my book of the month.

Any newcomers to the Fourth World characters really owe it yourselves to track down and read Kirby's original run with these characters.

tim1138

Show me this cover.

Behold!

1-243a49dffb-3457a.jpg

Speaking of Kirby influenced...

Scioli and Barber on Transformers vs G.I.Joe from IDW (CBR)

CBR: The issue both looks and reads like a comic out of time. Were you intentionally going for a classic Golden Age Kirby feel to it, or is that just your natural style?

Barber: I think it reads pretty unique to any time period. I mean, there's some referencing the past, and Kirby is a huge influence, but there's... I'd argue there isn't actually a lot of nostalgia here. I'd argue that every page, every moment is built on innovation. And Tom's looking to the past for some of the cues, but what he's actually building is what comics will be like in the future, not the past.

Scioli: "Out of time" is a fair description. It's classic and modern at the same time. I think the surface is deceptive, but comics work best if the reader isn't aware of all the elements at play. There is an immense Kirby element to my style, even at the times I deliberately try to quash it, but I deliberately turned up the Kirby dial on this issue. The next issue has a slightly different style that I'm anxious for the world to see. It might be a shift that's imperceptibly subtle, but to my eyes, it's vastly different. I spend a lot of time staring at this stuff, so I'm hyper-aware of the stylistic nuances. If I had my druthers, I would've drawn it a lot closer to the aesthetic in "Satan's Soldier." I inquired about printing an entire comic with black-light-sensitive inks. Maybe for the trade.
Looking great!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Preacher has a Comixology sale this week...the whole run in HD for $66 sounds very appropriate.

Bee & PuppyCat Issue 2 drops today!!

Make sure you have a QR Code scanner on hand before you start reading so you can listen along with Bee to the songs we wrote for this issue!

:D

speaking of 70's flavor, any of y'all read Afrodisiac? been working through it lately, it's pretty fun and Jim Rugg nails the shit out of that style. it's a blaxploitation send-up, but it's also not a straight story as much as it is a collection of stories about the character. like it were a collection of real 70s comics. it's cool shit and i probably should've tried explaining this after fully waking up
this should be good

ohhhhhhh very good art

My birthday is coming up and my parents called and asked me what I wanted

so I asked for this

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1401247040/?tag=neogaf0e-20

good decision?
based on that one Chris Sims review i read it seems to be a collection of good stories, but they're mostly Sad Superman stories

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

I just want to point out the first question/answer, because I find it fucking hilarious. Dude's asked about his thoughts on Superman and decides to give a history on Jewish creators and Jewish mythological creatures. Guess he sees Superman as Jewish?
Hey Frank,
How do you feel about Superman? People have an idea that you only see him like TDKR portrayed him.

Well, you think of the ancient gods, which is really where these characters all come from. It's really strange that a bunch of American Jews imitated a bunch of greek heroes to create the new superhero. They changed because of the times. Jack Kirby was originally Jacob Kurtzberg, Stan Lee was Stanley Zeiber, and Bob Kane (who created Batman), his real given name was Eli Katz. It was part of the anti-Semitism of the time, that people wouldn't get as noticed without all-American names, and back then that meant Anglo-Saxon. It meant names like Rip Torn, or other very Americanized names. Sometimes to the point of absurdity. And so for obvious reasons, namely American anti-semitism which have been covered up over time (most people don't know that Jack Kirby was fighting the Nazi Bundt, for instance, and when WWII came along he was one of the first to go out charging as a five foot four man with the soul of a warrior - he actually trained to become a boxer before he became a comic book artist. Yeah, he failed but he did become an excellent scout, who would go behind enemy lines). Compare him to Will Eisner, who was the same age, and Will Eisner being a much shrewder businessman and (I suspect) much less of a fanatic on the subject, he went to the military and showed them that he could draw, and had a proposal drawn on a buxom woman putting guns together. So he spent the war as a drawing boy). Keep in mind that Superman was the first of the superheroes, he even pre-dated Batman, he was created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Schuster in Ohio, and as time went by they changed Superman accordingly. He started out as a what the Jews call a Golem, a product of the earth who would bring the leaders of warring forces face to face and make them then and there, in the trenches, face each other. And thereby diffuse a war that was happening. Along came WWII, everybody was wearing a flag, and Superman hoisted the flag.

I just want to point out the first question/answer, because I find it fucking hilarious. Dude's asked about his thoughts on Superman and decides to give a history on Jewish creators and Jewish mythological creatures. Guess he sees Superman as Jewish?
ahahahaha holy shit I don't think he even came close to answering that. Maybe he's an antisemite and he assumes everyone knows or something

It's actually pretty historically accepted that Superman began as an expression of Siegel and Shuster's experiences with Antisemitism, as that Otherwise Total Crackpot accurately explains.

It's also a seemingly accurate description of how he "feels" about the charac.

There's tons to slag Frank Miller on, but if you don't wait for the worthwhile stuff, it just makes it harder to take him down for the stuff that does matter and that he is so far off base about.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

Besides this answer which, while interesting, did seem to miss answering the question, the rest of the AMA was quite sane and cool to read. He answered nearly all the questions and with big paragraphs for most of the answers.
Really, the only thing that disappointed me about the AMA was that he didn't say if he was working on any more comics at the moment. As crazy as his recent stuff has been, I still hold onto the hope that he'll write something that has nothing to do with 9/11 and it will be back to the old Frank Miller goodness.

FoneBone

As Birdie said, this is hardly a new (or unreasonable) explanation of his genesis, as batshit nuts as Miller is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom