• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isak_Borg

Did they find your GAF posts or something? Sorry to hear, man.

I'm on medical leave and got diagnosed with bipolar disorder today and don't think I'll be back there. No hard feelings, CMX does amazing work and has an amazing amount of talent. Viz was just the beginning of what is coming and I really wish everyone here realized how much that team fucking loves comics. All of us tried to provide the best experience ever and you would be amazed at how many employees actually do work for the comic industry.

I think it's also time for me to move on and I've made a decent amount of contacts in the industry and want to move in a different direction.

Edit: I'm also sure someone here went to midtown comics and told them about my post which is kind of funny.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
It's actually pretty historically accepted that Superman began as an expression of Siegel and Shuster's experiences with Antisemitism, as that Otherwise Total Crackpot accurately explains.

It's also a seemingly accurate description of how he "feels" about the charac.

There's tons to slag Frank Miller on, but if you don't wait for the worthwhile stuff, it just makes it harder to take him down for the stuff that does matter and that he is so far off base about.

As Birdie said, this is hardly a new (or unreasonable) explanation of his genesis, as batshit nuts as Miller is.

I totally get that, duders. I imagine anybody passionate about comics knows about Superman's origins outside of the pages, and all of the non-fictional elements that played a part in Supes' creation. But, there was a question that was asked about how Miller feels about the character, and a context given--in relation to Miller's depiction of Supes in TDKR-- and his answer, despite being an interesting and relatively coherent history lesson on Antisemitism's effect on comics creators, seems like her heard the word 'Superman' and went on a little free association tangent. I thought it was goofy and funny, and not in a "look at how batshit crazy this dude is!" way.

Otherwise, you guys are right, he was on his best PR-enforced behavior for Sin City 2.

Batman Eternal 10 was a fun read. Things progressed well and to me has maintained it's quality every issue. The weird thing with this issue is I loved and hated the art at the same time. Riccardo Burchielli drew some awesome scenes with the characters. What I hated is the characters did not match the style that has been drawn so far. Bruce did not look like Bruce and so on. The artist need to stick to a template for character design.

Isak_Borg

I totally get that, duders. I imagine anybody passionate about comics knows about Superman's origins outside of the pages, and all of the non-fictional elements that played a part in Supes' creation. But, there was a question that was asked about how Miller feels about the character, and a context given--in relation to Miller's depiction of Supes in TDKR-- and his answer, despite being an interesting and relatively coherent history lesson on Antisemitism's effect on comics creators, seems like her heard the word 'Superman' and went on a little free association tangent. I thought it was goofy and funny, and not in a "look at how batshit crazy this dude is!" way.

Otherwise, you guys are right, he was on his best PR-enforced behavior for Sin City 2.

Everyone has to realize that Frank Miller is a very damaged guy and doesn't have the best grasp on reality. I kind of get angry when him and Denny O'neil get dragged out into the public because they're both not that with it anymore.

Isak_Borg

Why the fuck is Jennifer Blood getting a new series? Can someone explain this to me? Her last one was selling like 3000 copies an issue.

Garth Ennis!

I totally asked him why he's doing this shit and he is truly fucking into it. It kind of sucks but it's what he wants to do and even if he isn't writing it they'll keep it around to make him happy.

Garth Ennis!

I totally asked him why he's doing this shit and he is truly fucking into it. It kind of sucks but it's what he wants to do and even if he isn't writing it they'll keep it around to make him happy.

But it was Ennis for like, six issues lol? Now it's Steven Grant. I'm just fascinated in a train wreck kind of way.

Isak_Borg

But it was Ennis for like, six issues lol? Now it's Steven Grant. I'm just fascinated in a train wreck kind of way.

Avatar wants to make the writers they get happy.

I seriously went to Ennis and was like WTF is this shit and he was like "I enjoy it".

if they canceled it he would probably throw a fit.

me and Ennis.

IMAG0005.jpg

tim1138

Mini review time!

All-New X-Men - Not really a lot to say. It's a fun book, and my favorite Bendis book since his run on Daredevil with Maleev. I'm digging the current
evil mutants from the future story

Astro City - A great concept that Busiek nailed. Each of the 24 pages covered an hour in a day across multiple stories. They all tie together at the end with a heart breaking last page.

Infinity Man and the Forever People - This will probably be my book of the month. A true labor of love that updated and reintroduced the most obscure of Kirby's Fourth World characters. DiDio may suck as an exec but he can do justice to Kirby's stuff. Giffen is perfect for this on the art side.

Justice League United - Lemoore is living up to his promise of writing a fun book. He has a done a great job capturing the unique voices for the team, the Ollie/Buddy bromance is a thing of beauty.

I went to 2 comic book stores today and I noticed that neither of them had a normal cover version of Justice League United #2, I only saw the bombshell variant at both, so i had to go with that. I don't really mind, it's a pretty good variant

also picked up some New Warriors. cool that someone good is drawing Kaine. Marcus To also did this cool little Superman/WW Wendys Happy Meal comic recently, uses the whole Infinite Comic thing
It's actually pretty historically accepted that Superman began as an expression of Siegel and Shuster's experiences with Antisemitism, as that Otherwise Total Crackpot accurately explains.

It's also a seemingly accurate description of how he "feels" about the charac.

There's tons to slag Frank Miller on, but if you don't wait for the worthwhile stuff, it just makes it harder to take him down for the stuff that does matter and that he is so far off base about.
Oh I know. It's just kinda funny how long winded the answer was without really answering the question

fauxtrot

Banned
Is it weird that I am having a hard time reading physical books now that I've been reading 99% digital for the last 6 months? The glossy sheen on each page reflects light and "whites out" parts of the page (for lack of a better term) no matter what I do to my indoor lighting. I never noticed it before, but now I can't stop trying to find a way to get rid of it and it's keeping me from reading my latest IST order!

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Everyone has to realize that Frank Miller is a very damaged guy and doesn't have the best grasp on reality. I kind of get angry when him and Denny O'neil get dragged out into the public because they're both not that with it anymore.

Who would talk shit about Denny O'Neil? Dude seemed like a sweetheart on the three Fat Man on Batman eps. he was on. Also, Denny seemed pretty damn with it throughtout.

Isak_Borg

Who would talk shit about Denny O'Neil? Dude seemed like a sweetheart on the three Fat Man on Batman eps. he was on. Also, Denny seemed pretty damn with it throughtout.

I've met him and his family on a regular basis and trust me not the nicest of people.

Edit:

Frank Miller showed up drunk and out of it to multiple signings at certain store asked him to do. I asked people in charge and it was a regular thing.

Francis Manapul and Brian Buccellato are completely different creators on Batman vs The Flash. The quality of the story is astounding so far in their 3 issues. I don't know if it's the grasp of the characters, editing, or just pure luck but they have turned Detective Comics into a top of the pile type book.

With that said, I have read all my books today which all happen to be DC books. So I'll do a top 3 DC books of the week.

1. Detective Comics
2. Infinity Man and the Forever People
3. Justice League United

Filthy Slug

I've met him and his family on a regular basis and trust me not the nicest of people.

Edit:

Frank Miller showed up drunk and out of it to multiple signings at certain store asked him to do. I asked people in charge and it was a regular thing.

Eric J got mad stories to tell. Gather 'round, kids.

Filthy Slug

it's not even mad stories because most of the people I have met in the industry are amazing but damn if Denny is not known for being a dick.

Also I feel sorry for telling ales kot I would kick him in the balls.

That's awesome.

You should have asked him out on a gelato date! I'd really love to meet him at an NYC signing--keeping my eye out.

Zombine

Banned
Now that I'm un-employed... Anyone on gaf want to start a podcast/site?

I'm a radio DJ so I could probably be of assistance on that front. It's something I've wanted to do for a while.

Edit: first ever digital pull week. It's like being born all over again.

Edit 2: Midtown may be the Gamestop of comic book stores but I feel horrible if I don't stop in there while I'm in Manhattan.

Isak_Borg

That's awesome.

You should have asked him out on a gelato date! I'd really love to meet him at an NYC signing--keeping my eye out.

Ales Kot is pretty hated by his peers but he seemed....OK.

Frank Barberie introduced me and I kind of fucked it up.

Most of these peeps are really accessible and friendly.

Edit: Glad you went digital because it really is the future. CMX really has your/our best interest in mind.

Justice League United has all the components of a winning book. Good team, good writer......so why am I struggling to keep interest in the book?

It's by no means bad, but it's really not doing anything for me.

Filthy Slug

I'm a radio DJ so I could probably be of assistance on that front. It's something I've wanted to do for a while.

Edit: first ever digital pull week. It's like being born all over again.

Edit 2: Midtown may be the Gamestop of comic book stores but I feel horrible if I don't stop in there while I'm in Manhattan.
I don't know which store I dislike more, Forbidden Planet or Midtown Comics.

Also, I'm still all for a comicgaf podcast, yo.

Zombine

Banned

Lifeless, cold, calculated, no fun. Things that random big name writers can't correct. And I really don't feel like being in the middle of any more video blogs about why Carol Danvers is so amazing and Harley Quinn is so hot and why Dr Who is the best show ever.

You should hate Midtown for the contempt that have for their costumers.

I've generally been treated like shit and or stupid when I go there. There's nobody at your register, why the fuck do I have to stand in the imaginary line? Lol

Last time I was in there they were all fighting with a vagrant.

You should hate Midtown for the contempt that have for their costumers.

I've ordered from Midtown online before but....gimmie some details

I've generally been treated like shit and or stupid when I go there. There's nobody at your register, why the fuck do I have to stand in the imaginary line? Lol

oh wow

Lifeless, cold, calculated, no fun. Things that random big name writers can't correct. And I really don't feel like being in the middle of any more video blogs about why Carol Danvers is so amazing and Harley Quinn is so hot and why Dr Who is the best show ever.

At least two of these three things are correct.

Messi

They just record on the middle of the store?

I was in there on my trip to NY about ten years ago and hated it. It didn't feel welcoming at all.

Filthy Slug

I feel you, man. I've had a pull with FP for a year, a fucjing big one, and nobody in that store could even be mistaken for friendly. I've had the unhappy clerk sneeze on my fucking comics while ringing them up.

Isak_Borg

I feel you, man. I've had a pull with FP for a year, a fucjing big one, and nobody in that store could even be mistaken for friendly. I've had the unhappy clerk sneeze on my fucking comics while ringing them up.

I'm sorry about that I have tons of friends who still work there and if you need better treatment hit me up.

Isak_Borg

Well damn.

The store looked so nice and online purchases went well enough but if this is how they get down, I guess I won't be buying from them again for old times sake (haven't bought a comic there for about 2 years now)

not to out him but my roommate works in the warehouse and when I posted here about them firing folks for mexican migrants they stopped.

Someone here is tied to them.

Owzers

Justice League United has all the components of a winning book. Good team, good writer......so why am I struggling to keep interest in the book?

It's by no means bad, but it's really not doing anything for me.

I have the second issue in my next dcbs shipment but stopped ordering it, the best assessment i can give is that it read like a book that wanted to have fun but didn't know what fun was. It also didn't help that the enemy the team was fighting didn't have much character and there was just the obligatory dismembering for the other story segment.

Filthy Slug

I'm sorry about that I have tons of friends who still work there and if you need better treatment hit me up.

Thanks, dude! I'll hit you up if there's ever some truly egregious shit. I hope signings are okay at FP, 'cause I'm thinking about going to the Paul Pope one.

Isak_Borg

Thanks, dude! I'll hit you up if there's ever some truly egregious shit. I hope signings are okay at FP, 'cause I'm thinking about going to the Paul Pope one.

been texting one of the main managers who is one of my best friends so just give me a heads up but he'll most likely be "fuck those customers!".

Messi

Stopped going to FP a few months back when 3 Wednesdays running while I was being rung up the clerk was having a full blown conversation with an employee over my shoulder or off to the side. Each time he treated my books like utter shit. I'd assume this was because his conversation was more important than my books. I am spending 50-60 euro a week in your store they least you could do is have the decency to pay attention to me while you are serving me. So I took my business elsewhere.

The conversations were such trivial shit too. Left me thinking 'do you dudes really need to be talking about this right now'. I work retail and if I was caught doing it I'd get my ass kicked.

Vibranium

Banned
I'm on medical leave and got diagnosed with bipolar disorder today and don't think I'll be back there. No hard feelings, CMX does amazing work and has an amazing amount of talent. Viz was just the beginning of what is coming and I really wish everyone here realized how much that team fucking loves comics. All of us tried to provide the best experience ever and you would be amazed at how many employees actually do work for the comic industry.

I think it's also time for me to move on and I've made a decent amount of contacts in the industry and want to move in a different direction.

Edit: I'm also sure someone here went to midtown comics and told them about my post which is kind of funny.

Props Eric, you take all the time you need for your mental health. As someone who had a rough time with social anxiety and depression, I'm sure you'll make it through this! And I'm sure you'll land on your feet in a great way.

Also, I'd like to think the company wasn't upset at all by any of your GAF posts.

Messi

Bee & PuppyCat Issue 2 drops today!!

Make sure you have a QR Code scanner on hand before you start reading so you can listen along with Bee to the songs we wrote for this issue!

:D

This deserves more credit than we are giving it. You guys wrote songs to accompany the book. That's pretty amazing. I'll pick up the first two issues when I get a chance.

--

Oh and Zombine you have no idea how hard I laughed at you using the word Vagrant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom