• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fauxtrot

Banned
I started reading Brandon Graham's King City and was surprised by the style/tone. I've only ever read one other series of his (Prophet), so the almost manga-style to it wasn't what I expected. Regardless, the art and story have been great so far and I'm having a blast with it. I pulled it off my bookshelf to be my read-in-bed-until-you-fall-asleep story for the night and ended up halfway through it (it's over 400 pages long). Next time I'll stick with Claremont-era Uncanny X-Men... as much as I adore the run, I always seem to doze off after an issue or two.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I started reading Brandon Graham's King City and was surprised by the style/tone. I've only ever read one of his other creations (Prophet), so the almost manga-style to it wasn't what I expected. Regardless, the art and story have been great so far and I'm having a blast with it. I pulled it off my bookshelf to be my read-in-bed-until-you-fall-asleep story for the night and ended up halfway through it (it's over 400 pages long). Next time I'll stick with Claremont-era Uncanny X-Men... as much as I adore the run, I always seem to doze off after an issue or two.

King City is dominant. It's definitely my favorite Brandon Graham joint, as I feel its his most fully realized. Prophet is interesting, but when Graham isn't also doing art duties on his books, I feel his writing sticks out in a bad way.

tim1138

Since I'm getting bored with modern comics, I decided to go back and reread Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run. I completely forgot about that short arc near the beginning with Etrigan. That was a nice surprise to rediscover.

Zombine

Banned
Since I'm getting bored with modern comics, I decided to go back and reread Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run. I completely forgot about that short arc near the beginning with Etrigan. That was a nice surprise to rediscover.

Is it weird to say I prefer the faded muted colors of vintage/classic comics? I love looking at some good 70s-80s art from the big two.

Is it weird to say I prefer the faded muted colors of vintage/classic comics? I love looking at some good 70s-80s art from the big two.

I'd something of a fan of the goofy story lines in older comics. It's a delicate balancing act, of course, between fun goofy and just dumb goofy, but it can be a quiet delight.

You are in my region. That's freaky. Leinster. Conquer it.

I started as Leinster. I recently took over Alba/Scotland and am working my way south into England. Also led a successful Crusade against Greece and Hungary.

Update: Messi, am I still doing it right???

u0j4izb.png

Everyone has their own preferences. I can't stand the older artwork. Though I'm curious to understand what the appeal is.

I think both styles have their appeal. I think older comics consistently did more with less. The busier New 52 designs are what you get when you apply modern techniques to older characters, although there are some good redesigns at the big two over the last few years.

Most books had very shiny colouring for a few years until art teams seemed to realise that even though they have all the computer tools, there's no need to use all of them. I love the colour style of books like Saga and Hawkeye, it looks sort-of muted but it makes the panels feel lived-in.

tim1138

Not at all, there is something very appealing about the art of that era. I love the look of old comics. How awesome is this:

Rafa=FedKilla said:
Ales not writin' enough books for you brah?

Pretty much. Zero is one of the handful of books I can't wait to read every month. I wish he'd finalize one of his other creator owned projects and release it.

Messi

I'd something of a fan of the goofy story lines in older comics. It's a delicate balancing act, of course, between fun goofy and just dumb goofy, but it can be a quiet delight.

I started as Leinster. I recently took over Alba/Scotland and am working my way south into England. Also led a successful Crusade against Greece and Hungary.

Update: Messi, am I still doing it right???

Excellent. You should move your conquest towards Spain.

Wow, that is stunning. Such beautiful work.

Messi

Frame the question this way: Is she part of Batman's Rogues Gallery?

I don't think so, I think these days she is much closer to being a friend of the bat family.

Also Harley is not a villain she is just misunderstood. She is trying to do good. All she wants is love :(

kswiston

When your love interest is a sadistic mass murderer with a body count in the 1000s, and you are perfectly OK with it, you are a villain.

Messi

If Joker went away permanently what would the chances of Harley readjusting to normal life be? Slim to none right?

Comics are depressing sometimes. Way over thinking the physical and mental abuse angle of Harley's character since we were talking about it a few days ago.

Owzers

If Joker went away permanently what would the chances of Harley readjusting to normal life be? Slim to none right?

Comics are depressing sometimes. Way over thinking the physical and mental abuse angle of Harley's character since we were talking about it a few days ago.

if harley went away permanently, what would be the chances of you readjusting to comics?

King City is dominant. It's definitely my favorite Brandon Graham joint, as I feel its his most fully realized. Prophet is interesting, but when Graham isn't also doing art duties on his books, I feel his writing sticks out in a bad way.

I hate to say it, but I kinda lost interest in Prophet. It was much more interesting when he was running around the universe banging lizard ladies and shit.

Messi

Didn't Harley kill a bunch of kids fairly recently

Me neither but I agree

Yep, bombs in game boys. It was strangely aggressive for her. It's a very Jokeresque move.

She was depressed that Joker was gone again and decides to create chaos to try feel something. She is clearly insane but that is all down to Joker.

Owzers

I really disliked Uncanny Avengers Annual #1, it reminds me of the bards tale where it mocks fetch quests and then sends you on a fetch quest anyways because it's still a crappy game that's just aware of it. Initially i had hope for the issue, i liked the dialog in the set-up pages before it got halfway through it settled in to the crap it was making fun of.

I did no such thing!
It's entirely possible that I'm remembering it wrong. But there was definitely something in her origin once about being a flight attendant and a marriage. I might have been wrong about her murdering her husband, but Catwoman definitely used to kill people. She used to try to kill Batman, too, and not by throwing her vajajay at him.

I really disliked Uncanny Avengers Annual #1, it reminds me of the bards tale where it mocks fetch quests and then sends you on a fetch quest anyways because it's still a crappy game that's just aware of it. Initially i had hope for the issue, i liked the dialog in the set-up pages before it got halfway through it settled in to the crap it was making fun of.

I generally don't like annuals unless they're a continuation or conclusion to an ongoing story. If I'm following a series, releasing a one-and-done story in the middle of it kills the momentum.

Guys... if you can read french here is a comic you should read : Le elfes issue 3

Dont know if there is any english translation. But there is also a german translation.

Justice League Beyond Universe was great this week. I continue to absolutely adore this series. This was an all action issue with a side of Barda/Mr. Miracle teamwork fun.

Excellent. You should move your conquest towards Spain.

Is there some specific Irish/Spanish beef you'd like to share with us?

I don't think so, I think these days she is much closer to being a friend of the bat family.

Also Harley is not a villain she is just misunderstood. She is trying to do good. All she wants is love :(

Wait... Didn't Harley just murder a shit load of kids by planting bombs in their handheld videogames?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom