• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use to juggle video games. Now I have one game I'm into and the rest of my time is comics. I use to be able to play games for hours at a time but now it's an hour and out. I'm pretty hype for comics all the time.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
You guys with waning comics love, have y'all read the newest She-Hulk?

Also, how many Remender books are on your current pull?

I'm on a constant comics high nowadays, except when I see those DC weeklies on the shelves..

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Every month or two I get the urge to reread some Hawkeye so I'll just pull out my hardcover and read a random issue. It's really pretty perfect for a quick bit of fun if I'm in the middle of something more serious (such as Final Crisis) and it's nice since the stories are all fairly self-contained.

Does anyone else have a specific book or two that they'll just reread an issue of every once in a while?

I use to juggle video games. Now I have one game I'm into and the rest of my time is comics. I use to be able to play games for hours at a time but now it's an hour and out. I'm pretty hype for comics all the time.

Oh man, I could never cut video games out of my life. They my number one love, yo.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Every month or two I get the urge to reread some Hawkeye so I'll just pull out my hardcover and read a random issue. It's really pretty perfect for a quick bit of fun if I'm in the middle of something more serious (such as Final Crisis) and it's nice since the stories are all fairly self-contained.

Does anyone else have a specific book or two that they'll just reread an issue of every once in a while?

Flex Mentallo. A love-letter to imagination and superheroes that will never leave my shelf, and will never be dusty.

Vyer

My Marvel pulls have gone off a cliff (down to Thor, Cap and Original Sin mostly) compared to earlier this year, and I've stopped with the DC weeklies and all the GL stuff except Red Lanterns. Got burned out on some runs and the Comixology bullshit killed my digital impulse purchases. Really Image is the only area where I've maintained or even increased.

I'm sure it'll shift again in six months. Maybe?

I've thought about cutting out Marvel and DC, but they put out some stuff I like too much to stop reading. I'm perfectly fine with being 3/4 Indy snob.

tim1138

Manhattan Projects and the Kirby Fourth World Omnibuses. I've read all those some many times it doesn't matter if it's an issue in the middle of an arc or what, I'm never lost or forget what's going on.

Bleeding Cool: May Market Share Data

Oh man, I could never cut video games out of my life. They my number one love, yo.

Playing Crusader Kings 2 right now, myself.

For Messi: Am I doing it right???

Jq024p4.png

My Marvel pulls have gone off a cliff (down to Thor, Cap and Original Sin mostly) compared to earlier this year, and I've stopped with the DC weeklies and all the GL stuff except Red Lanterns. Got burned out on some runs and the Comixology bullshit killed my digital impulse purchases. Really Image is the only area where I've maintained or even increased.

I'm sure it'll shift again in six months. Maybe?

swimming in marvel right now

between the remender and hickman onslaughts and each solo book being better than the last there's like 20 essential marvel books right now

Flex metallo

Kipp

Man, that Christmas/Kwanzaa/Hannukah issue of Hawkeye is so great. I think it might be my favorite Hawkeye issue.
And Aja's ability to draw faces with such simplicity that so vividly convey emotions always amazes me.

Flex Mentallo. A love-letter to imagination and superheroes that will never leave my shelf, and will never be dusty.

I still really need to read that. The one thing sort of stopping me though is that I know next to nothing about older comics.
If I remember correctly, Flex Mentallo is partly about the different eras of comics, right? Would I still be able to enjoy it a lot even though I don't really know more than just the super basic knowledge (ie: Silver Age is known for being pretty out there and crazy) of the different eras of comics?

Manhattan Projects and the Kirby Fourth World Omnibuses. I've read all those some many times it doesn't matter if it's an issue in the middle of an arc or what, I'm never lost or forget what's going on.

Very nice. I'm so excited for that Manhattan Projects hardcover coming out later this year.
And I really ought to force myself to read some of the Kirby stuff sometime. I'm really interested in it, but at the same time, it's so hard for me to read older comics when pretty much all I've read are newer comics.

ReAxion

Six-Gun Gorilla. Shit was just......amazeballs. I grabbed the trade Monday from Barnes & Noble. Oddly enough, IST, TFAW, and even my LCS don't have it yet.
pliWSmYs.jpg

Zero, MP, GA, Forever People, Wicked + Divine.
pliWSmYs.jpg

Question from my friend that I don't have an answer for:
She's reading Whedon's Astonishing X-Men and she got to the part where she has to read Giant Size Astonishing, she wants to know if there's anything else she has to read that pertains to Astonishing. tia

In getting ready for the GotG movie I've been reading some Marvel Cosmic. Specifically, Annihilation, Annihilation: Conquest, War of Kings, and I'm on the last book of Realm of Kings. Up next is The Thanos Imperative and then Annihilators. So far, Annihilation was great, A:C was almost as good, War of Kings had moments it could have been really good but then just died and Realm of Kings is just dumb. I hope Thanos Imperitive is better, frankly.

It pissed me off when high-level stuff would happen in one book concurrently with another book but the result would be almost 100% different between the two. Or events would happen in this book and then you'd start reading the next (and I'm reading them in official Marvel order) and those prior events haven't happened yet and you know what's coming.

Filthy Slug

I still really need to read that. The one thing sort of stopping me though is that I know next to nothing about older comics.
If I remember correctly, Flex Mentallo is partly about the different eras of comics, right? Would I still be able to enjoy it a lot even though I don't really know more than just the super basic knowledge (ie: Silver Age is known for being pretty out there and crazy) of the different eras of comics?

Yeah, I mean, each issue is linked to an age in comics, Golden > Silver > Bronze aka Dark aka Millerfuckedusup aka modern > current aka postmodern aka idon'tknow, but overall, not knowing everything about the eras is fine. It's a story about the celebration of superheroes, and how they transcend certain ideas, like fiction/reality and death and the bomb.

It's a superb work, but don't feel bad if you don't get everything the first time. It's a really fun work to research and talk about other people to.

I'm thinking of taking a break from the big two as soon as some of these runs end, so like two or three years down the line.

Yeah like if Remender/Hickman/Aaron/Fraction all just bail for Image at some point, I'd be pretty much done with Marvel. I love the solo books, but without that core interest in the universe, I don't know what would be driving them.

tim1138

Yeah like if Remender/Hickman/Aaron/Fraction all just bail for Image at some point, I'd be pretty much done with Marvel. I love the solo books, but without that core interest in the universe, I don't know what would be driving them.

I hope Hickman leaves when his Avengers run ends next year, I'm tired of waiting for Feel Better Now.

This week's She-Hulk was BONKERS. Best issue yet.

New Avengers: this "Justice League" arc is taking much more time than I anticipated, but Hickman has built up a great standoff between the two teams.

Doomed continues to be one if not the most interesting Superman stories since the reboot.

Caught up with Starlight; this is Millar back from the perversion. Really solid series.

On a completely different subject, Chile plays in a few hours, hype.

Vyer

swimming in marvel right now

between the remender and hickman onslaughts and each solo book being better than the last there's like 20 essential marvel books right now

Any recommendations? I like remender and Hickman, but wasn't all that impressed with Infinity or BotA or Slott Spidey, which led to a lot of drops. I am reading one of the Avengers original sin crossovers, which have been fine.

Any recommendations? I like remender and Hickman, but wasn't all that impressed with Infinity or BotA or Slott Spidey, which led to a lot of drops. I am reading one of the Avengers original sin crossovers, which have been fine.

Black Widow
Punisher
Thor
She Hulk
Mighty Avengers
Loki: Agent Of Asgard

EDIT:
Daredevil
Cyclops
Magneto
Captain America

Hellers

Comixology sale page. Irredeemable, Incorruptible and Insufferable. BUY.

I *loved* Irredeemable.

Comixology sales are lethal on the wallet. Is that the Amazon influence or was stuff always this good?

Wool

Yo, go back there ASAP, dude. This has been the best written issue AND that motha'fuckin' Wimberly art.

This is the dopest comic of the month.

Ron Wimberly drew issue #39 of Prophet. It was fucking amazing. Kind of a stand alone issue, if anyone's interested in getting it but hasn't read the rest of the series.

Also, I'm loving this Shutter series. I just ordered a variant cover #1. I've never been into variants but it's pretty cool.

Vyer

I do notice there is a lack of XMen and Avengers team books in that list. Perhaps the standalone are the way to go. I'll prob check out Loki and Magneto
and Cyclops I guess.

Comixology sale page. Irredeemable, Incorruptible and Insufferable. BUY.

I *loved* Irredeemable.

Comixology sales are lethal on the wallet. Is that the Amazon influence or was stuff always this good?

It always was. Since Amazon fucked the app though, my sale/impulse buys have dropped considerably.

Filthy Slug

Ron Wimberly drew issue #39 of Prophet. It was fucking amazing. Kind of a stand alone issue, if anyone's interested in getting it but hasn't read the rest of the series.

Also, I'm loving this Shutter series. I just ordered a variant cover #1. I've never been into variants but it's pretty cool.

Brandon Graham variants are stellar. If him and Wimberly wrote and drew a book together, I think it could be bigger than this Cyclops comic that people seem to like.

tim1138

Did anyone pick up the first issue of Boom's The Last Broadcast? I just saw some preview art for the second issue and it looked cool as hell.

Boogiepop

Okay guys. I know I mentioned the potential of getting my friend the DC One Million Omnibus as a gift before. I did come up with one competing option, though, and I was waiting for the right moment to casually figure out if he had read it or not in a way that wouldn't arouse suspicion. I'm talking about the Daredevil by Frank Miller Omnibus. I feel like I heard that was really good, and it came to mind because he's really been enjoying the Waid run. However, I realize they're pretty different, and when I was discussing Daredevil with him to gather this info he mentioned that it was mostly ninja stuff before and he wasn't too interested.

So... how good is that omnibus?

Edit: Alternatively, any trick to getting a new copy of the 52 series for around $60? I KNOW he wants that, but its always been out of reach, gift price range wise.

Anyone? Isn't that run supposed to be popular/good?

Kipp

Yeah, I mean, each issue is linked to an age in comics, Golden > Silver > Bronze aka Dark aka Millerfuckedusup aka modern > current aka postmodern aka idon'tknow, but overall, not knowing everything about the eras is fine. It's a story about the celebration of superheroes, and how they transcend certain ideas, like fiction/reality and death and the bomb.

It's a superb work, but don't feel bad if you don't get everything the first time. It's a really fun work to research and talk about other people to.

Okay, cool. I'll definitely get around to picking it up eventually.

Bii

Shutter is rocking my face off. In a good way.

Shutter #1

14434769633_120f77a5c1_o.jpg

I'm glad I put this on my pull list. The first issue establishes our protagonist in a way most first issues don't do well (actually giving a damn about our hero/heroine). We learn a lot about Kate when she was her younger self as well as how she is today, and what events that have taken place that have shaped her into who she is. The art and colors are amazing, and the narrative flows well; I just read #2 and it gets even better!

14413438934_878bed21f7_o.jpg
14228002460_404db24f89_o.jpg

Bonus pic! Just because I like the back cover.

14227952069_2d9db8a96a_o.jpg

phoenixyz

It's ridiculous how awesome Detective Comics looks at the moment. It's hands down the best-looking book I read. You could print and frame nearly every page/spread.

tim1138

They seem out of print enough that the omnibus would be cheaper. :(

Ah that sucks. Whatever the price of the omnibus is on instocktrades is the cheapest you're likely to find it. It is a great story though, don't worry about that aspect.

I see your other choice is DC One Million, nice. You can't go wrong with either of them, it'd really come down to the characters your friend enjoys the most.

Tizoc

It's ridiculous how awesome Detective Comics looks at the moment. It's hands down the best-looking book I read. You could print and frame nearly every page/spread.

After the author of Chew left the series I stopped reading it, but how're the stories and writing so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom