• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question: I just started Annihilation: Conquest. Is the Phalanx the same as the one from 90's X-Men? It seems like it, since I see something about the "transmode virus", but it's kind of weird that the outer space threat in the sequel to Annihilation would be an X-Men villain from Earth. Maybe there's a good explanation later?

I'll answer this one.

The Phalanx from the 90s X-men was actually an offshoot of an EARLIER race called the "Technarchy", which first appeared way back in New Mutants in the 80s. One of their race (a mutant variant) fled persecution, landed on earth, joined the new mutants, but eventually died and was used as the basis for the creation of the "phalanx" you remember from the 90s show and comics.

This earth based variant was eventually defeated and more or less wiped out, but the technarchy have a habit of accidentally creating "phalanx" when they feed, which are basically organic life corrupted by the virus that the technarchy carry around with themselves. Thus there are lots of "Phalanx" that exist throughout the universe, some of which were not stopped, took over some fairly large empires and grew into quite the threat.

As for how or why this (admittedly throwaway) race from back in New Mutants became so important later on- well, it's marvel. Writers frequently pick up unused or dormant creations of other writers if they see potential- and the Phalanx crossover was one of the more popular ones from the X-books. no reason not to use those villains again.

ElNarez

Banned
just read new avengers
and T'Challa is soooooo going to kill namor when they get back

Nah. They can't afford to, and they know he's right, or, well, as right as one can be when going on the road they've been going on. It was the same during AvX. Namor just knows that if you say you're gonna do something big you best not flinch.

Messi

I see Amazon.com has price matched Walmarts deal on both the walking dead compendiums. They are both 35$ each. Pretty nice deal.

DC Please. Don't start recoloring the Bombshells and changing them slightly to milk more money.

Harley-Quinn-Christmas-Statue.jpg

Yes that is real and yes its shameful.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
That Ron Wimberly She-Hulk is by far the best thing I've read and stared at this week. FUCK, it was so good.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Nah. They can't afford to, and they know he's right, or, well, as right as one can be when going on the road they've been going on. It was the same during AvX. Namor just knows that if you say you're gonna do something big you best not flinch.

I agree and Tony knows it too the last thing he said was "this is it" this is when they finally cross the line.

I still think this stuff leads directly into original sin, but I could be wrong

MG310

They did enough to change that Harley statue up..new hair/hat, gun replaced with the bag. Not like they just changed her to the New 52 hair.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did less for Ivy and just repainted her skin white.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Wait that was this week

shiiiii, looks like it's back to the shop tomorrow

Yo, go back there ASAP, dude. This has been the best written issue AND that motha'fuckin' Wimberly art.

This is the dopest comic of the month.

ElNarez

Banned
Yo, go back there ASAP, dude. This has been the best written issue AND that motha'fuckin' Wimberly art.

This is the dopest comic of the month.

The way Wimberly incorporates sound effects into the environment is, well, let's check the INCORPORATED SOUND EFFECTS IN COMICS POWER RANKINGS

1. Yusuke Murata
6a0a16895fca0ebce3eacb787cc22b0d1362610839_full.gif

2. Frank Quitely
QuitelyBWKSSSSSSSS.jpg

3. Ron Wimberly

Huh, n°3. Pretty good. He's pretty good at doing one of my favorite things.

Boogiepop

Okay guys. I know I mentioned the potential of getting my friend the DC One Million Omnibus as a gift before. I did come up with one competing option, though, and I was waiting for the right moment to casually figure out if he had read it or not in a way that wouldn't arouse suspicion. I'm talking about the Daredevil by Frank Miller Omnibus. I feel like I heard that was really good, and it came to mind because he's really been enjoying the Waid run. However, I realize they're pretty different, and when I was discussing Daredevil with him to gather this info he mentioned that it was mostly ninja stuff before and he wasn't too interested.

So... how good is that omnibus?

Edit: Alternatively, any trick to getting a new copy of the 52 series for around $60? I KNOW he wants that, but its always been out of reach, gift price range wise.

My Zeus, Wonder Woman is amazing. Why don't more people read this book? It's one of the best comics out there with Azzarello and Chiang at the helm. I can't believe it took me this long to get into this book. I'm disappointed in you ComicGAF. Cheska excluded.

Owzers

I'm behind on Wonder Woman, but it's always been the only new 52 i full endorse.

I'm kinda eh on comics lately, i get my dcbs shipment and i read 15 or so of the 29ish books and then i stare at the rest of the stack and don't read much of my trades backlog. New shipment in a week though :p

I tried reading the Red Sonja omnibus from awhile ago, it was okay but i am not going to continue, it joins the stack of trades i'm getting rid of to clear shelf space.

Six-Gun Gorilla. Shit was just......amazeballs. I grabbed the trade Monday from Barnes & Noble. Oddly enough, IST, TFAW, and even my LCS don't have it yet.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
DC knows how to milk Harleys fans. It's like shooting fish in a barrel. But I am not falling for it.

Well if you lot will be a bunch of easily excited ninnies waving your money at anything with a checkboard and pigtails...

Fans: We love Harley!!
DC: Fuck you, pay me.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
My Zeus, Wonder Woman is amazing. Why don't more people read this book? It's one of the best comics out there with Azzarello and Chiang at the helm. I can't believe it took me this long to get into this book. I'm disappointed in you ComicGAF. Cheska excluded.

If Chiang was on more than 30% of the issues I would have totally stayed with it. It was enjoyable but never quite kept my interest, so I'd always forget about it. And then Chiang would be off for big chunks at a time, seemingly at random.

Zombine

Banned
DC knows how to milk Harleys fans. It's like shooting fish in a barrel. But I am not falling for it.

Us Harley Fans are still infinitely more tolerable than Deadpool fans. I'm still not convinced fans of his character actually read those horrible books.

Zombine

Banned

Only by accident. You don't mean to click on those books. That's what I'm going to believe.

I just don't find him to be "funny." I've never found the chimichanga jokes to be "LOL HILARIOUS <3 DEADPOOL" like the rest of the hot topic crew. I don't find comic writers particularly funny, and when Deadpool is basically their outlet to try their best material I sort of cringe.

It's like when you see a group of nerds spouting out nonsense and they all laugh and then you look back at them and then shake your head because it's embarrassing as fuck.

Only by accident. You don't mean to click on those books. That's what I'm going to believe.

I just don't find him to be "funny." I've never found the chimichanga jokes to be "LOL HILARIOUS <3 DEADPOOL" like the rest of the hot topic crew. I don't find comic writers particularly funny, and when Deadpool is basically their outlet to try their best material I sort of cringe.

It's like when you see a group of nerds spouting out nonsense and they all laugh and then you look back at them and then shake your head because it's embarrassing as fuck.

Deadpool used to be great. Stuff like the circle chase. Where he's supposed to be OOT and ridiculous but he has a tinge of being a homicidal maniac. I think that nowadays though he's just turned into a parody of himself and it's the same tired jokes over and over again.

I hope we get to see a return to form for the Merc with a Mouth, but I won't hold my breath.

Messi

Harley AND Deadpool fan? Jaysis lad

Tell me, how do you feel about either/or Insane Clown Posse or One Direction?

Being a Harley Quinn fan already shows his opinion on ICP

I don't like ICP or 1D. I don't like the juggalo angle with Harley and a glad the solo series is kind of ignoring it.

I hate when writers try to write him as this hilarious dude. As it was said here, most comic writers aren't funny and if you aren't funny writing Deadpool like that will fall flat. It's no coincidence that my two favourite Deadpool stories in recent years are The Good the bad and the ugly, and Night of the living Deadpool. Two stories that take Deadpool seriously and have some kind of emotional resonance. Sure he makes a few jokes but nothing close to the usual stuff.

Messi

I would say that Warren Ellis' Moon Knight is a better Deadpool that anything that has been written recently.

Disagree as both of the stories I've listed were in the past year or so. Pick and choose your Deadpool and you will be good. Never go full Deadpool.

Tizoc

We've been talking about it for months, where were you?

tim1138

I'm behind on Wonder Woman, but it's always been the only new 52 i full endorse.

I'm kinda eh on comics lately, i get my dcbs shipment and i read 15 or so of the 29ish books and then i stare at the rest of the stack and don't read much of my trades backlog. New shipment in a week though :p

I tried reading the Red Sonja omnibus from awhile ago, it was okay but i am not going to continue, it joins the stack of trades i'm getting rid of to clear shelf space.

You and me both. I've been considering dropping my pulls down to about five books and saying to hell with the rest of it.

The current run of Deadpool has been excellent apart from the first arc. The third arc was one of the best Deadpool stories since the Joe Kelly days.

You and me both. I've been considering dropping my pulls down to about five books and saying to hell with the rest of it.

the amount of books I'm picking up now is in the single digits. I post in here less and less. I see news on comics I'm like meh, I cant do that fake OMG EVERYTHING IS AMAZING Birdie hype for shit no more.

tim1138

Zero
MP
Green Arrow
Forever People
Superman
?

Zero, MP, GA, Forever People, Wicked + Divine.

ViewtifulJC said:
the amount of books I'm picking up now is in the single digits. I post in here less and less. I see news on comics I'm like meh, I cant do that fake OMG EVERYTHING IS AMAZING Birdie hype for shit no more.

Yep, I hear you.
The fact I could easily cut it to five books is probably telling of my waning hype.

Cheska

I think many of us go through these phases throughout the year. I know I feel this way about gaming every couple of months, where I just go through a hobby fatigue. I think what's ultimately kept me interested in comics is the ridiculous backlog I have, and that I can essentially just pick up a book from any genre and be happy.

I am definitely trying to cut back on the weekly pull list, as we all say we try to do, but then fail horribly because the next best thing is released lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom