• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
The writing is O-Kayyyyy but feels very predictable. I can feel where it's headed at all times. Art is beyond top tier though, this guy is special.

Art is A+
Writing B

I should clarify, I don't really mean the plotting, but the actual writing is stylistically sound. Like, there's a great flow to the words and the characters sound good. Basically, it ain't written by somebody who can't actually write, like Geoff Johns.

The art is just phenomenal.

I should clarify, I don't really mean the plotting, but the actual writing is stylistically sound. Like, there's a great flow to the words and the characters sound good. Basically, it ain't written by somebody who can't actually write, like Geoff Johns.

The art is just phenomenal.

3748830-1218568049-take-.jpg

URGH,, So for the longest time ComicsList,com had Black Beetle: Necrologue #1 releasing on 6/25/2014. Not there anymore :/
PreviewsWorld now says 7/30/2014.

Damn you Francavilla.. Stop doing all these damn covers.. Just abandon your child like that?! At least I've been getting my Francavilla fix from Afterlife W/ Archie.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Wasn't Blackman's Batwoman stuff really weak? Or maybe I'm just missing out on some of his other stuff?

It was weak overall but it started off great. I think editorial interference kind fucked that run entirely.

However his older work may have turned out, this Elektra run is fucking exciting.

I thought it was really great. The only problem I had was how aggressive and un likeable he made Kate towards Maggie.

Yeah, I'd heard that was a big problem - Kate being a dick to Sawyer. Everything is in trades, so I'll give it another look.

It was weak overall but it started off great. I think editorial interference kind fucked that run entirely.

However his older work may have turned out, this Elektra run is fucking exciting.

Good to hear it. That'll get added to the list (along w/ Cyclops, which I still haven't read goddammit)

Messi

Yeah, I'd heard that was a big problem - Kate being a dick to Sawyer. Everything is in trades, so I'll give it another look.

Good to hear it. That'll get added to the list (along w/ Cyclops, which I still haven't read goddammit)

I was asking myself why Maggie would even stay with Kate. She is a complete tit to her.

But yeah you should give it another look and the new team is doing a good job. They have mended the relationship problems with Maggie and Kate, while its not perfect it's a lot better now.

Hellers

I love the silver age Legion. In fact the entire silver age is just made of awesomeballs. It's like every single person involved in comics in the silver age was permanently high.

fqPW9Gg.jpg

How rude!

Owzers

Geoff Johns may not be great at dialogue and flow but he can plot pretty good, so it's a tradeoff

i would agree with this a long time ago. His recent Flash run before flashpoint, Flash Rebirth, Flashpoint, Brightest Day, GL crossovers after brightest day, Forever Evil, Justice League, JLoA, Aquaman....People cling to his Shazam back-ups but that doesn't redeem everything else.

Filthy Slug

I wonder if Cliff Chiang is actually going to draw more than half the issues of whatever book he works on next.

Is it bad that I don't really care about Cliff Chiang art? Like, it's nice, but I just don't really care about it or him.

Damn you Francavilla.. Stop doing all these damn covers.. Just abandon your child like that?! At least I've been getting my Francavilla fix from Afterlife W/ Archie.

How anyone considers Francavilla a good artist is beyond me. The dude has a color palette consisting of like, eight colors. And don't even try to make the argument about gritty visuals, because Maleev kills at those.

Splatt

Raise your hand if you've read Hickman's Fantastic Four run but haven't read Waid's run? Because all of you need to fix that asap and discover the magnificent art of Mike Wieringo
img_0391.jpg

02-16-2012-041826PM-620x966.jpg

Mike :((( R.I.P

The only "bad" arc in Wade's run was the one where Doom sells his sister for moar magic

How anyone considers Francavilla a good artist is beyond me. The dude has a color palette consisting of like, eight colors. And don't even try to make the argument about gritty visuals, because Maleev kills at those.
I guess being a good storyteller with a unique style (at the moment) isn't enough these days. there is also only one way to do gritty visuals

tim1138

Is it bad that I don't really care about Cliff Chiang art? Like, it's nice, but I just don't really care about it or him.

He does nice line work and I typically like his stuff, but he wouldn't be a top five or even top ten artist to me. Hell, what makes WW look so good isn't Chiang (especially considering how many issues have been done by Tony Akins and Gordon Sudzuka), but Matt Wilson's amazing color palette.

ah, Tony Akins. he had a story with Shaun Simon in that Vertigo: Cyan quarterly issue that legit might be the worst comic i've read all year. their story, not the whole issue. The whole issue was generally mediocre with a some good stuff in it overall, though

... lol. That's all I have for ya.
lol
... My argument is .. I like Francavilla a lot.. one of my favs. Like the darkness and his style. Black Mirror was one of the first TPB I read that's what got me onto him. He does some of the best covers there are. I M O. Guess I like shitty art? :) whatev

EDIT: I freakin love his eight colors tho... such good colors. ha

I like Francavilla, Chiang, and pretty much everything I've read by Geoff Johns (haven't read his new 52 stuff tho), so this page is interesting!

Guess I'm a lot more positive about artists than I thought. The only artist I don't like off the top of my head is Greg Land. I'm sure I could name more if I thought about it.

Tizoc

Mike :((( R.I.P

The only "bad" arc in Wade's run was the one where Doom sells his sister for moar magic

Huh? I don't remember that ever happening during the run >_>;
EDIT: Or wait I remember something vaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaguley resmbling that but I'd need my memory refreshed ^^;

I like Francavilla, Chiang, and pretty much everything I've read by Geoff Johns (haven't read his new 52 stuff tho), so this page is interesting!

Guess I'm a lot more positive about artists than I thought. The only artist I don't like off the top of my head is Greg Land. I'm sure I could name more if I thought about it.
wait til they announce Khoi Pham for fill ins on New Warriors or some shit
i would agree with this a long time ago. His recent Flash run before flashpoint, Flash Rebirth, Flashpoint, Brightest Day, GL crossovers after brightest day, Forever Evil, Justice League, JLoA, Aquaman....People cling to his Shazam back-ups but that doesn't redeem everything else.
Yeah, for sure. Justice League, Aquaman and JLA failed to keep me on board. though the one-two punch of David Finch and Brett Booth on JLA did not help

I'll try again with Superman though

Bii

Speaking of dope artists like Francavilla, I fucking love everything about Nate Fox's covers on FBP:

That is f'n ace. Speaking of awesome covers...

Hulk #1

14252195787_ec0f82fc76_o.jpg

Got two covers for the Hulk #1; Skottie Young and Chris Samnee variants. I don't care for Hulk in a solo book, even if it's written by Mark Waid, but I think the cliche of a character
losing their abilities only to, eventually, regain it back (in this case, Banner's intellect)
is going out of style. Neat art, an interesting issue setting things in motion and great looking variant covers. I'm not pulling Hulk but may end up getting the trades based on feedback here.

14252022230_752340b46e_o.jpg
14252021890_5972ec074e_o.jpg

I have two Marvel digital codes for Hulk #1. First two persons to reply/post in this thread requesting a code gets my PM.

Messi

Hulk #1

Got two covers for the Hulk #1; Skottie Young and Chris Samnee variants. I don't care for Hulk in a solo book, even if it's written by Mark Waid, but I think the cliche of a character
losing their abilities only to, eventually, regain it back (in this case, Banner's intellect)
is going out of style. Neat art, an interesting issue setting things in motion and great looking variant covers. I'm not pulling Hulk but may end up getting the trades based on feedback here.

I have two Marvel digital codes for Hulk #1. First two persons to reply/post in this thread requesting a code gets my PM.

I'd take one if you don't mind

Man, I love the Scottie Young variants. Can't wait for Rocket Raccoon.

Tizoc

It was his girlfriend IIRC

I think I would have been more receptive to the idea if the armor actually looked good.

I thought he meant that. I didn't care for the armor design but that was a good issue and really shows how much of a detestable and disgusting person Doom is.

Hulk #1

I'd love a code! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom