• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheska

Speaking of The Wicked & The Divine, I'm finally getting ready to frame my Jamie McKelvie prints! :D

DUcpA1ml.jpg

TzdYnpWl.jpg

Hurry up Wednesday!

Finally got my hands on N52 Green Arrow Vol. 4 trade and holy shit, it's probably one of the best new 52 trades I've read so far and it seems like Outsider storyline seems to be even better or at least people hype it a lot online. Wonder how many issues this creative team is gonna do, was it couple of years of work as in 4 volumes or something like that? Everyone should check out that volume, just amazing.

Also comic book reading is expensive even though I have a very cheap store, have bought 15 volumes in a month, haha...

Yep. Lemire and Sorrentino are working magic in the current Green Arrow book. The next arc, after the Outsider War, looks very promising just one issue in.

What other books did you purchase this month?

samueeL

Banned
What other books did you purchase this month?

I'd love to hear some recommendations from New 52, far I have these trades, bought this month: Deathstroke 1-2, Green Arrow 1, 4, Flash 1-2, Action Comics 1, Batman(the basic one) 1-3, Suicide Squad 1, Red Hood & Outlaws 1, Justice League 1-2. Also thought of pre-ordering the Kevin Smith's run of Green Arrow which will collect issues 1-15.

Any recommendations? Thoughts on Birds of Prey, Swamp Thing, Justice League of America?

I read the first issue of the new Punisher book and it was very okay. I liked the art but the voice for Frank Castle seemed a lil too upbeat and positive. Hope the dark comedy aspect y'all were on about is played up more on both fronts in later issues
I'd love to hear some recommendations from New 52, far I have these trades, bought this month: Deathstroke 1-2, Green Arrow 1, 4, Flash 1-2, Action Comics 1, Batman(the basic one) 1-3, Suicide Squad 1, Red Hood & Outlaws 1, Justice League 1-2. Also thought of pre-ordering the Keving Smith's run of Green Arrow which will collect issues 1-15.

Any recommendations? Thoughts on Birds of Prey, Swamp Thing, Justice League of America?
Birds of Prey is decent but forgettable. I enjoyed what I read of Swamp Thing. JLA has meh art, but the newly started Justice League United is pretty good.

As for recommendations, Animal Man spun its wheels for too long but was still good for a while. Check out Wonder Woman. Demon Knights was decent. Lot of middling New 52 books that I wouldn't recommend or dissuade you from buying, tbh

Messi

I'd love to hear some recommendations from New 52, far I have these trades, bought this month: Deathstroke 1-2, Green Arrow 1, 4, Flash 1-2, Action Comics 1, Batman(the basic one) 1-3, Suicide Squad 1, Red Hood & Outlaws 1, Justice League 1-2. Also thought of pre-ordering the Kevin Smith's run of Green Arrow which will collect issues 1-15.

First two Catwoman trades then bail out. All of Batgirl. All of Batwoman.

Don't bother with Suicide Squad or Birds of Prey. Birds got canned and Suicide Squad is about to start it's reboot. Both spin their wheels and are forgettable.

Batwoman is excellent. Just read Elegy first.

Batwoman probably reads better collected. The story was dull as hell but the JHW III art is worth looking at

Batgirl didn't deliver on either front though. Too many lame villains I didn't care about in the early arcs

But yeah Suicide Squad was straight garbage for too long. I enjoyed the short Ales Kot run though

I'd love to hear some recommendations from New 52. Any recommendations? Thoughts on Birds of Prey, Swamp Thing, Justice League of America?

Birds of Prey has been "OK". Nothing special. Swamp Thing has been up and down but mostly very good. Justice League of America is alright but it's original premise got swept up into the Trinity War / Forever Evil event and just sort of fizzled. My recommendations of New 52 stuff to you would be:

Trades:

Batman: All volumes
Batman and Robin: All volumes
Batwoman: All volumes
Batgirl: All volumes
Batman Beyond Unlimited (based on the DC animated universe)
Wonder Woman: All volumes
Shazam: Stand alone volume.
Swamp Thing / Animal Man (if you get these, get them as a pair. Be warned some people didn't like the Rotworld arc, but otherwise, these two are held in high regard)
Red Lanterns: Volume 4+ (current) (the older stuff can be hit or miss but if you like it go back and check out the older stuff)
Earth 2: All volumes

Ongoing Single Issue Series:

Action Comics
Superman/Wonder Woman
Batman/Superman
Detective Comics (starting at #30)
Batman Beyond Universe (follows after Batman Beyond Unlimited)

Of the stuff you're getting: Deathstroke was "meh" until near the end, got good, and then got canceled before it could pick up. Red Hood and the Outlaws has been goofy, random, and sometimes fun, but hasn't done anything noteworthy (I personally like it, though). Flash has been divisive. I personally love it, the art is gorgeous, but some people have been lukewarm on the story. Justice League has been decent to good with a few great arcs like the Throne of Atlantis. Suicide Squad has suffered under constant changes to the creative teams. You may want to keep an eye on the upcoming New Suicide Squad, though.

Messi

Batwoman probably reads better collected. The story was dull as hell but the JHW III art is worth looking at

Batgirl didn't deliver on either front though. Too many lame villains I didn't care about in the early arcs

I disagree on both books. The only failing Batgirl has is the art.

Pick up the single Harley Quinn issues.

samueeL

Banned
First two Catwoman trades then bail out. All of Batgirl. All of Batwoman.

Don't bother with Suicide Squad or Birds of Prey. Birds got canned and Suicide Squad is about to start it's reboot. Both spin their wheels and are forgettable.
Alright, thanks everyone! Have to check out Batwoman next then! I sorta liked Suicide Squad 1 though but I'm more interested in the characters in reboot one. Though indeed it's pretty average in many ways.

And agree with Serpentine, JLA art seems to be kind of meh but maybe I'll give it a try, interested in the characters. United one seems good too, long wait till trade though...

I prefer trades over singles and singled would end up being more expensive to me anyway, since living in Finland. Ordering trades from bookdepository, cheapest option for me. Thanks GrandHarrier, lots of good recommendations! Have been meaning to check more batman family out. Also been on the edge about Earth 2 but guess people generally seem to like it?

Thanks GrandHarrier, lots of good recommendations! Have been meaning to check more batman family out. Also been on the edge about Earth 2 but guess people generally seem to like it?

Yeah, it's been pretty good, for most of the run. It starts out under James Robinson who does some great world building. He eventually leaves the book, but Tom Taylor, who has been doing great work with the Injustice: Gods Among Us digital first, has been excellent as well. It takes a tonal shift, at the creative change, but the artist Nicola Scott retains a sense of continuity to it. Actually, I'd probably recommend Injustice as well. It's been massively surprising to me, as far as a video game comic goes. It's defied all expectations.

I can't recommend the Geoff Johns / Gary Frank Shazam trade enough though. It's just great fun. I especially love Gary Frank's art, his expressions are amazing.

I dropped all my Marvel pulls which was up to 12 down to 3. Ms. Marvel, Uncanny Avengers and Amazing Spiderman. Trade wait the rest of them.

Cheska

I think I'd have a much harder time trimming my Marvel pulls since I enjoy everything from them that I pull. DC on the other hand I've been cutting back weekly.

Zombine

Banned
Uncanny Avengers is literally the only Remender book I don't read and it makes me feel bad. Should I read it from the start?

DC books are buy 3 get the 4th one free. I hate doing it, but Marvel books are expensive. I can trade wait and get them off IST and get them for less than $2 a issue. This is where DC's strategy for trade releases works for them. Hard dropping DC stuff when I have to wait so long for it to come out.

Uncanny Avengers is literally the only Remender book I don't read and it makes me feel bad. Should I read it from the start?

Yes. The first arc isn't great but it's a big part of the build to Axis, which is going to be amazing. Heroes fighting villains, what a novel concept.

samueeL

Banned
I can't recommend the Geoff Johns / Gary Frank Shazam trade enough though. It's just great fun. I especially love Gary Frank's art, his expressions are amazing.
Looked into Shazam. A bit confused. Does it collect same issues than Justice League? If I read trades 2 & 3 of Justice League, will Shazam trade have those issues?

tim1138

Looked into Shazam. A bit confused. Does it collect same issues than Justice League? If I read trades 2 & 3 of Justice League, will Shazam trade have those issues?

Nope, it's a collection of backup stories and the two stand alone Shazam issues. The HC is the only place they're collected.

It's hot outside and I worked in the yard all morning, so I spent the afternoon inside writing something awful, awful, awful.

So who wants to read it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom