• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fauxtrot

Banned
Is it dumb that I want to drop $999 on a Surface Pro 3 to replace my Nexus 7 as my dedicated comics reading device? I'm very close to pulling the trigger...

(I don't exactly have a extra grand laying around, but I'll figure it out.)

ReAxion

AvtvXjo.jpg

Sex Criminals #6 preview: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=22144

Vibranium

Banned
I have to laugh so hard at Marvel creeping at the $4.99 price point (Death of Wolverine gearing up for it), after Original Sin I'm getting really tired of this stuff. I hope the price reaches $5.99 someday just to see the reactions on people's faces. "Enjoy Nathan Edmondson's Deathlok at $4.99, a character who wasn't even popular in the TV show like Winter Soldier was in the movies, but we're still making an ongoing happen!"

I'm probably going to shift a few titles around soon, I'll look out for more Image and independant stuff as well.

I have to laugh so hard at Marvel creeping at the $4.99 price point (Death of Wolverine gearing up for it), after Original Sin I'm getting really tired of this stuff. I hope the price reaches $5.99 someday just to see the reactions on people's faces. "Enjoy Nathan Edmondson's Deathlok at $4.99, a character who wasn't even popular in the TV show like Winter Soldier was in the movies, but we're still making an ongoing happen!"

I'm probably going to shift a few titles around soon, I'll look out for more Image and independant stuff as well.

I'm grudgingly okay with $4.99 as long as it's at least 25 pages. Anything less than five story pages per dollar, fuck no.

Vyer

Is it dumb that I want to drop $999 on a Surface Pro 3 to replace my Nexus 7 as my dedicated comics reading device? I'm very close to pulling the trigger...

(I don't exactly have a extra grand laying around, but I'll figure it out.)

If you need a windows ultra book? No. For primarily comixology/comics? Yes.

If you're looking to move up from 7", Ipad/mini or samsung bigger screen tablets would give you a better experience just for lounging around comics reading and would be cheaper. SP3 is a 2 lb tablet. Seems like a good all around/laptop replacement though.

Vibranium

Banned
I'm grudgingly okay with $4.99 as long as it's at least 25 pages. Anything less than five story pages per dollar, fuck no.

I can't even do 25 pages. You can get an indie video game for $5 (some good ones too), and that's more hours of entertainment than a quick read.

I'll grab some trades I suppose.

I guess being a good storyteller with a unique style (at the moment) isn't enough these days. there is also only one way to do gritty visuals

His style is great for certain things, like Black Beetle. On the other hand, I couldn't even read the issue of Guardians of the Galaxy that he did because the art was such a turn off. It looked like sludge with word bubbles.

EDIT: I freakin love his eight colors tho... such good colors. ha

lol. XD

Vibranium

Banned
On the brighter side, Bucky is showing up in Black Widow #8, finally they meet together after more than a year since Brubaker's brainwashing mistake. I hope Nat at least remembers him at some point in her series. And then after Original Sin hopefully there will be some sort of launching point for Winter Soldier (he is up to some sort of spy play with Fury after all).

Messi

Cover for the first volume of the complete Gotham City Sirens. DCs best team book ever.

It's alright I suppose.

No regular issues for most of my series in September. Just a bunch of #1s for futures end crap.

I can't even do 25 pages. You can get an indie video game for $5 (some good ones too), and that's more hours of entertainment than a quick read.

I'll grab some trades I suppose.

This was my exact line of thinking. It takes on average, 15 minutes to read a single issue. That's 12-16 dollars an hour. Per hour of entertainment, comics are high in cost.

Avengers Undercover is gone with #10. Not even twelve issues. Sales must have been dreadful. Looks like it's the end for Hopeless' run.

AVENGERS UNDERCOVER #10
DENNIS HOPELESS (W)
TIGH WALKER (A)
Cover by FRANCESCO MATTINA
IT’S ZEMO VS. THE WORLD IN THE SERIES FINALE!
• The Avengers & S.H.I.E.L.D. attack as Baron Zemo’s true plan is revealed!
• Which Murder World survivor becomes a Master of Evil?
• Be there as the character journeys that began in AVENGERS ACADEMY & AVENGERS ARENA end here!
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

D=

Vibranium

Banned
So what other Marvel titles do you guys think will get cancelled in the future?

I give Deathlok 10 issues for sure. Elektra could be in danger as well despite the amazing art.

Isn't Avengers Undercover kind of redundant with Secret Avengers all up in that?

Similar names, different premises. I would have preferred something like Avengers Descent for this series.

I just hope this isn't the last we see of the cast. If we are getting a Marvel reboot, I'd like to see some of them rolled into the Young Avengers. Give me a Young Avengers book with Kate, Jenny and Nico in the same book, team them with some random dudes and Marvel can have all my money.

AVENGERS #34.1
AL EWING (W) • DALE KEOWN (A/C)
Variant cover by Chris Bachalo
• Last son of a dead utopia. Father-figure to a new species of humanity. Avenger. Hyperion is all these things... and more!
• Now the Man From Nowhere searches for an unhinged cop killer, a kidnapped child...
• ...and the answers to the questions that haunt him.
40 PGS./Rated T …$4.99
DALE KEOWN

oh shit
Mj5JGnv.gif

Zombine

Banned
Cover for the first volume of the complete Gotham City Sirens. DCs best team book ever.

It's alright I suppose.

No regular issues for most of my series in September. Just a bunch of #1s for futures end crap.

That cover is horribly amazing.

I give Deathlok 10 issues for sure. Elektra could be in danger as well despite the amazing art.
New Warriors
Nightcrawler
Deathlok
Superior Foes
The Ultimate line (to make way for another reboot)

Avengers World
Thunderbolts
X-Force
All-New Invaders
Loki: Agent of Asgard (book will be re-tooled after Axis)
New Warriors
Ultimate FF
Wolverine and the X-Men (will be re-tooled after, well, you know....)

Owzers

buffy season 10 tpb vol 1 seems a bit pricey, first 5 issues paperback for 18.99. I'm curious but not that curious.

from DC:

Green Arrow vol 5 tp
The Wake HC but it's not deluxe?
Unwritten vol 10 tp even though i need 8 and 9 as well and stopped reading at tp vol 5.

No FBP or new figures in DC September solicits!?!?!?!?

It looks like September is going to be mostly Future's End who-gives-a-shit month. I think they already solicited all their statues and figures for the rest of the year, though. I already ordered Gwen and the Death reissue statues, and those are October/November releases.

Isak_Borg

I'm really surprised Zenescope never gets any mentions on the site any reason?

If anyone is looking for some indie publishers putting out some good work I would recommend Alterna & SLG. Nova Phase is fucking glorious.

ReAxion

I think Deathlok is going to test TV-to-comic attach rate. Could be less than 10 issues.
Ultimate Miles sticks.
All New Ultimates - give it a merciful death.

I'm really surprised Zenescope never gets any mentions on the site any reason?

Personally, I've never read any of their stuff. It may be a perception issue that they have, but most all I see from them are twisted fairy tale books. Not really within my realm of interest.

Vibranium

Banned
Avengers World
Thunderbolts
X-Force
All-New Invaders
Loki: Agent of Asgard (book will be re-tooled after Axis)
New Warriors
Ultimate FF
Wolverine and the X-Men (will be re-tooled after, well, you know....)

Sounds about right to me. Invaders was such a disappointment, I would rather have the WS solo instead.

Messi

Haven't you, like, started with last weeks issue?

batman_grin_jl867sgq.png

I started mid first arc.

If we can get a better face I'll be Wonder Woman.

I shall look :p

How about this one?

JL8WonderWoman-1.jpg

The Curl down her forehead makes it hard to get a good image of her. But I like this one.

--

I love how the Gotham City Sirens cover lacks any kind of direction or point, it's just a mishmash of crap. I doubt its final.

I think the covers give people the wrong impression but it's looks interesting but totally outside of my wheelhouse.

That may be, because those covers say to me "these are bad books and totally outside your wheelhouse."

I think Zenescope should work on their marketing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom