• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a lot of 4.99 marvel books alright.

CBR: MAYO REPORT: "Walking Dead" Rises, DC Holds the $2.99 Line

The division of the top 300 comics for May 2014 was much closer between Marvel and DC than we've seen in some recent months. Marvel accounted for 39.92% of the total unit sales for the top 300 comics while DC accounted for 35.54%. Looking at it from a dollars perspective, the gap was much larger with Marvel taking 43.39% of the total dollars for the top 300 comics and DC taking 32.94%. Marvel had both higher prices items and a much high average cover price.

While there was major push back from the fan community on the $3.99 cover price, it is here, and has become the default price point in many respects. $2.99 comics are far from gone, but the number of titles at that price point continues to decline. Marvel had only seven items in the top 300 at $2.99, while DC had 52 items. DC does seem to be trying to compete on price point, but is doing so very quietly. By not making a big deal out of the $2.99 price point, DC has the ability to quietly shift a few more titles in its line-up over to $3.99.

Owzers

the only 2.99 book i buy monthly from DC is Wonder Woman, everything else was shifted to 3.99 by dropping its back-up or just outright. Doesn't really matter that much though, it's down to Superman by Johns, Justice League, and Batman.

Weeklies, weeklies all around me.

Fintan

Hey, guys. What are the good comic book podcasts? I listen to Word Balloon when there's an interesting guest on. Are there any others worth a listen?

PsychBat!

Banned
NEWAVN2013024-DellOtto-71157.jpg

So from what I can tell:
Thanos
Proxima Midnight
Corvus Glaive
Black Swan
Namor
Terrax the Truly Enlightened
Maximus

huh... neat.

Village

Rich has been posting rumors about the "DC Band-Aid" event for a couple of weeks now. It seems like almost every day he posts something new without anything other than "anonymous sources."

-conceived to cover April and May 2015, the two months required to move DC operations from NY to CA
-everything is being written and illustrated well in advance of the actual move
-Tom Defalco Dan Didio and Marie Javins are coordinating the event
-comprised of forty one-shots forty-eight comics: twenty two-part stories, plus an eight-issue weekly
-recruiting talent from inside AND outside of DC's stable: indie creators, digital talents, returning fan-favorites, and Marvel people are being sought
-described by one anonymous creator as "a love letter to DC Comics fans"
-to be officially unveiled at the SDCC
-DC hasn't decided on an official name for it yet, trying to ferret out leaks
-will be an in-continuity event; not an Elseworlds or imaginary tale
-the overall idea behind the event has changed several times already, and writers/editors are confused as to what it's supposed to be about
-story draws inspiration from the gaming division, with "hero versus hero" stories
-involves New52 and Pre- New52 versions of the heroes engaged in a Secret Wars, Contest of Champions type encounter

Also Messi, since you're used to reading awful stories do you want to read the awful one that I wrote? Apparently I'm overselling the awfulness.

So what is this?

A new crisis?Will they fix their wrongs?

Comixology is killing me. Just spend a fortune on a load of Classic Transformers comics.

Prepare for all the Furmanisms your brain can handle.

So what is this?

We don't know, frankly I'm inclined to believe it's a load of crap.

And they won't row back on changes now, the change came from way higher on the food chain. It's been nearly three years, they aren't going to suddenly turn the ship around.

So what is this?

More likely that it's just a one-time deal they've had in mind since fans wouldn't stop asking "when are you bringing the old DCU back?," and they figure it'll keep readers happy and occupied while they pull up stakes for CA. They need to publish something for two months, so why not make an event out of it?

i'm very down, but 4.99 comics, huh
Sixteen by my count, and all of them 40-48 pages and with digital codes. :\

If Marvel pushes the industry into $5 monthlies as the new norm, when $4 monthlies are already breaking the limits of acceptable price-per-content, then I might be done with monthlies.

I want this PM.
Done.

The Death of Wolverine solicits read like one of Rafa's posts:
But now, the greatest X-Men hero will play a role he’s never played before in this special weekly event brought to you by industry superstars Charles Soule and Steve McNiven.

Owzers

More likely that it's just a one-time deal they've had in mind since fans wouldn't stop asking "when are you bringing the old DCU back?," and they figure it'll keep readers happy and occupied while they pull up stakes for CA. They need to publish something for two months, so why not make an event out of it?

Sixteen by my count, and all of them 40-48 pages and with digital codes. :\

If Marvel pushes the industry into $5 monthlies as the new norm, when $4 monthlies are already breaking the limits of acceptable price-per-content, then I might be done with monthlies.

Done.

I'm in for a Marvel Unlimited Subscription next time it's on sale.

tim1138

Spike Spiegel said:
Sixteen by my count, and all of them 40-48 pages and with digital codes. :

Done.

I wasn't pulling as many Marvel books as the rest of you (five or six I think), but I dropped them all and got a Marvel Unlimited sub instead for this very reason.

Arksy

So...um...I just read 1-18 of Saga by Brain K Vaughan and it's probably the first comic I've rad in about 3 years...(Aside from the random literature type comic like Asterios Polyp and Building Stories.

It was incredible! I was an instant fan. I'm now eagerly awaiting for more....

Can anyone give me a few recent series that I can read that are similarly as good? The less history in the titles the better...I wouldn't mind more good indie comics..especially anything of a fantasy or sci-fi nature.

Backlog:

Catwoman vol 2 and 3 Brubaker
Talon vol 1
JSA Omnibus
Batman Dark Victory

Almost caught up, think Talon tonight. Wednesday comics, then Thursday I'll start the JSA Omnibus.

Hellers

Can anyone give me a few recent series that I can read that are similarly as good? The less history in the titles the better...I wouldn't mind more good indie comics..especially anything of a fantasy or sci-fi nature.

Black Science, Manhattan Projects, The Wake, Rat Queens, Federal Bureau of Physics.

tim1138

So...um...I just read 1-18 of Saga by Brain K Vaughan and it's probably the first comic I've rad in about 3 years...(Aside from the random literature type comic like Asterios Polyp and Building Stories.

The Manhattan Projects

Invincible - Superhero saga from the creator of the Walking Dead
Revival - Twin Peaks meets the Walking Dead
Chew - Comedy-drama about a cibopathic (he gets psychic impressions from whatever he eats) detective
The Manhattan Projects - The atomic bomb was just a cover up for increasingly weird experiments
Nowhere Men - If the Beatles were scientists instead of musicians, "Science is the new Rock and Roll"
FBP: The Federal Bureau of Physics - A world where the laws of physics break as often as the weather changes
Lazarus - In a world ruled by a few elite families, these families choose a single individual to become their Lazarus, their defender against all other familes.
Rat Queens - The misadventures an all-female, foul mouthed D&D adventuring party
Kill Shakespeare - A Shakespeare play crossover
Locke and Key - Lovecraftian horror saga
C.O.W.L. - Chicago Organised Workers League, the world's first super hero union
Five Ghosts - Fabian Gray, master treasure hunter, possessed with the skills of The Wizard (Merlin), The Archer (Robin Hood), The Vampire (Dracula), The Detective (Sherlock Holmes) and The Samurai (Musashi)
Phonogram - Music is magic, literally.
Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender - The X-Men's black-ops team, dealing with the most dire threats.
Uncanny Avengers - In the aftermath of the Avengers vs. X-Men war, Captain America assembles the Avengers Unity Squad, featuring members of both teams. Pseudo-sequel to Uncanny X-Force .
Runaways - Every teen thinks their parents are evil, these teens were right.
Hawkeye - Hawkeye became the greatest sharp-shooter known to man. He then joined the Avengers. This is what he does when he's not being an Avenger. That's all you need to know.
Avengers Arena - Battle Royale meets Lost, with superpowered teenagers.

For superheroes, the Valiant relaunch and the new versions of the Gold Key series are also good.

I wasn't pulling as many Marvel books as the rest of you (five or six I think), but I dropped them all and got a Marvel Unlimited sub instead for this very reason.

I'm at the point where I'm only going to support one 3.99 book a month. 2.99 books I will continue to support out of principle. It helps that Loki is so good.

Sex Criminals, Rat Queens, and Deadly Class are all great newish indie books.

Wicked + Divine starts this week too, a lot of us are looking forward to that.

I love the cover for Superior Foes #15:

The way everyone in the Sinister Several is flipping off the audience is great.

(Spoilers for the most recent issue)
I guess this means Inspector is okay? Wonder why Speed Demon was sad about him

Young Superman who doesn't know who he wants to be is one of the best parts of the New 52.

Not Jeans Superman. Regular Superman in the Regular Comics. That charac is fully cognizant of who he wants to be in all the appearances that I've read. And it's a personality that's pretty incongruous with how young and ineffectual he looks.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
WOW. That backup story for Daredevil #1 (Waid 2011, not 2014) where Matt and Foggy are walking through New York was AMAZING. I would say it's now my favorite single issue of all time, but it's not even an issue on its own since it was just 10 pages or so tacked onto the end of the main story of issue #1.

So amazing. I can already tell I'm gonna love this Daredevil run. I don't really know what I was expecting it to be like going in, but it's exceeded my expectations already and now I'm really, really excited to read through my two OHCs of it.

Also, I've been so impressed at the way that Matt/Daredevil's powers are shown in the art. It's so innovative and awesome. I know I'm like three years late to the party on this, but whatever, I'm still super excited about it. Haha

Vibranium

Banned

Axel Alonso, Joe Quesaeda, Tom Brevoort, Dan Buckley and Alan Fine need to go- though we're looking at 10+ years until they're all gone. Unfortunately I doubt we'll get any better executives who are better with pricing, advertising and keeping comics their own unique thing from the movies.

Not Jeans Superman. Regular Superman in the Regular Comics. That charac is fully cognizant of who he wants to be in all the appearances that I've read. And it's a personality that's pretty incongruous with how young and ineffectual he looks.

Pak has a good take in Action Comics and Batman/Superman. He has an idea of what he wants to stand for, but he's not firm in its yet, like Batman and Wonder Woman.

Arksy

Black Science, Manhattan Projects, The Wake, Rat Queens, Federal Bureau of Physics.

Invincible - Superhero saga from the creator of the Walking Dead
Revival - Twin Peaks meets the Walking Dead
Chew - Comedy-drama about a cibopathic (he gets psychic impressions from whatever he eats) detective
The Manhattan Projects - The atomic bomb was just a cover up for increasingly weird experiments
Nowhere Men - If the Beatles were scientists instead of musicians, "Science is the new Rock and Roll"
FBP: The Federal Bureau of Physics - A world where the laws of physics break as often as the weather changes
Lazarus - In a world ruled by a few elite families, these families choose a single individual to become their Lazarus, their defender against all other familes.
Rat Queens - The misadventures an all-female, foul mouthed D&D adventuring party
Kill Shakespeare - A Shakespeare play crossover
Locke and Key - Lovecraftian horror saga
C.O.W.L. - Chicago Organised Workers League, the world's first super hero union
Five Ghosts - Fabian Gray, master treasure hunter, possessed with the skills of The Wizard (Merlin), The Archer (Robin Hood), The Vampire (Dracula), The Detective (Sherlock Holmes) and The Samurai (Musashi)
Phonogram - Music is magic, literally.
Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender - The X-Men's black-ops team, dealing with the most dire threats.
Uncanny Avengers - In the aftermath of the Avengers vs. X-Men war, Captain America assembles the Avengers Unity Squad, featuring members of both teams. Pseudo-sequel to Uncanny X-Force .
Runaways - Every teen thinks their parents are evil, these teens were right.
Hawkeye - Hawkeye became the greatest sharp-shooter known to man. He then joined the Avengers. This is what he does when he's not being an Avenger. That's all you need to know.
Avengers Arena - Battle Royale meets Lost, with superpowered teenagers.

For superheroes, the Valiant relaunch and the new versions of the Gold Key series are also good.

Sex Criminals, Rat Queens, and Deadly Class are all great newish indie books.

Wicked + Divine starts this week too, a lot of us are looking forward to that.

Oh my god. Thanks guys. I've got some reading to do and some money to burn....

<3

Vibranium

Banned
Oh my god. Thanks guys. I've got some reading to do and some money to burn....

<3

Try Velvet by Ed Brubaker and Steve Epting as well. One of the best comic books on the market, it's a espionage/mystery title with a badass middle-aged female protagonist. Not enough people reading or celebrating it.

At least Spike knows how god-tier it is!

Arksy

Try Velvet by Ed Brubaker and Steve Epting as well. One of the best comic books on the market, it's a espionage/mystery title with a badass middle-aged female protagonist. Not enough people reading or celebrating it.

At least Spike knows how god-tier it is!

Brubaker and Epting? I'm there. I fondly remember their Captain America run...was excellent.

Having opened a standing order at my local comic shop about a year ago, I initially found this a really hard and uninviting medium to get into. There are simply too many comics out there!

I couldn't really find places recommending issues for newcomers so thought I'd take action and write something.

For any gaffers lurking this thread who want to get involved in the wonderful world of comics I wrote an article about the best series for newcomers http://whatculture.com/comics/7-best-comics-series-newcomers.php

Comic gaf will probably completely hate my choices but hey ;)

Isak_Borg

Having opened a standing order at my local comic shop about a year ago, I initially found this a really hard and uninviting medium to get into. There are simply too many comics out there!

I couldn't really find places recommending issues for newcomers so thought I'd take action and write something.

For any gaffers lurking this thread who want to get involved in the wonderful world of comics I wrote an article about the best series for newcomers http://whatculture.com/comics/7-best-comics-series-newcomers.php

Comic gaf will probably completely hate my choices but hey ;)

Don't you get paid for each hit you get on that site?

Owzers

Harley Mad Love: Can someone explain to me something that happened near the end:

After the part where Joker shows up all angry that Harley is trying to kill Batman and explains that the joke doesn't work because she had to explain it to him and hits her out of the window with a fish, Harley says it's her fault because she didn't get the joke. Is that her way of blaming herself for Joker not getting the joke? Or was there something i missed where she didn't get a joke?

Messi

Harley Mad Love: Can someone explain to me something that happened near the end:

After the part where Joker shows up all angry that Harley is trying to kill Batman and explains that the joke doesn't work because she had to explain it to him and hits her out of the window with a fish, Harley says it's her fault because she didn't get the joke. Is that her way of blaming herself for Joker not getting the joke? Or was there something i missed where she didn't get a joke?

it's Harley blaming herself for failing Joker and his unrealisticly high standards. You didn't miss a joke, its just Joker being a prick to Harley like usual.

The plot thickens.

I'll post a bunch of newcomer books for free if anyone wants. I have credentials too. No link clicking or anything.

Edit: also, any lurkers know what we read.

I will also post some, they are sure to make the entire community to attack you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom