• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.

8bit

Knows the Score
I'm digging Original Sin.
Also, nice to see more New Gods stuff in DC but Forever People last week was rubbish.

Are you kidding me? That is awesome.

Glorious Godfrey is one of Darkseid's minions. He gets sent to Earth ahead of time to use his powers of persuasion to either try and glean the Anti-Life Equation from the people of Earth or brainwash them for Darkseid. Godfrey is fantastic.

What's the context for the appearance?
Thanks I was lost at that last page.

-

Batman Eternal #11 was good.. Art was good, it was different. But I honestly just didn't love it for a Batman title.

Elektra #3 was gorgeous,, I'm loving Cape Crow. Looks awesome

Batman And Ras #32 was great. Can't get enough Batman

Forgot about Wicked + Devine #1. I went into this book totally blind.. It was good shit. Ill be getting #2 for sure. Wish my LCS got some damn variants.
Still have a good amount of books to read

I went to the other (bigger) LCS to get some bags/boards and a long box. Ended up picking up a few random books.

This book San Hannibal #1 & #2 caught my eye. I really like the art style, the first issue is all pink/black/white,, 2nd issue is all blue/black/white. Only read half of #1 tho .. fell asleep :/
5872b436d42d15ae32a320ea6c137c37.jpg

4e66a757a1fcabb1006fb1015d6b39b4.jpg

shpage3.jpg

SanHannibalart3003.jpg

SanHannibalart4004.jpg

SanHannibalart5005.jpg

Sadist

Guys, guys, guys;

I'm really hoping Marvel won't fuck up Original Sin. It's been great so far. This issue is freaking amazing, especially the final part. Please Aaron, keep it up!

Also read Avengers #31 (Thor pls) and Uncanny X-Men. Both were neat as well.

I just realized that there is minimal Saga merchandise on the shelves right now. I don't even think there are posters.

There's like... a shirt. C'mon.

Readed Cyclops #1 and dont get what you people like about it. It was decent at best.

Reread it again until you have an epiphany. Isolate yourself in a room with only water, a chair, and that book, until you can see it as clearly as the rest of us can. We'll be waiting for you to join the fold.

Messi

I just realized that there is minimal Saga merchandise on the shelves right now. I don't even think there are posters.

Yeah, just the lying cat Tshirt which I wasn't a big fan of.

I don't understand the Sexual Gary Sex Crims Tshirt. I read the book but don't recall the reference. Let alone a reference big enough to end up on a shirt.

--

I just finished Batman and Ras which I thought was really cool even though I didn't understand the last page. Some good work by Gleason and Tomasi.

I also read Batwoman #32 wonderful stuff, really digging the direction the book is headed. Really enjoying the art and the slightly more emotional side to Kate, they did a good job showing
some of the insecurities Kate has over her time in the military and I guess some regrets. It would appear as though Kate had a relationship of some kind with that girl in the military and Kate got outed and they other woman didn't. Now she is a high ranking officer. Rubs Kate completely the wrong way. I love how passive aggressive she is while listening to the voicemail
. I laughed had at
"Does Batman check his voicemails when he is on patrol"
. I feel it would be bad form of me not to mention the amazing cover by Rafael Albuquerque he has been knocking out some lovely covers recently.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I went to the other (bigger) LCS to get some bags/boards and a long box. Ended up picking up a few random books.

This book San Hannibal #1 & #2 caught my eye. I really like the art style, the first issue is all pink/black/white,, 2nd issue is all blue/black/white. Only read half of #1 tho .. fell asleep :/
5872b436d42d15ae32a320ea6c137c37.jpg

4e66a757a1fcabb1006fb1015d6b39b4.jpg

shpage3.jpg

SanHannibalart3003.jpg

SanHannibalart4004.jpg

SanHannibalart5005.jpg

That reminds me heavily of Casanova when it originally came out, when the idea was one dominant color per arc/sin.

tim1138

Messi said:
I just finished Batman and Ras which I thought was really cool even though I didn't understand the last page. Some good work by Gleason and Tomasi.

I explained who that character was a couple pages back, check it out.

ThyMusicMan said:

The art in that looks great. Be sure to post impressions when you're done reading it.

Man I am so behind, I still have like half my books from last week to read and this weeks books. Though I did read Justice League Beyond (this story is coming along really well) and Future's End. I still feel like Future's End barely goes anywhere each issue, specially compared to Batman Eternal which seems to have a much quick pace.

Bii

That's difficult to say since I felt that the first issue was a very good representation of what was ahead for the story.

I'm personally viewing it as an interlude to an intergalactic adventure with two likeable characters. Plenty of humor and spectacular art IMO.

What was it you didn't particularly care for?

It's just as Serpentine said, the overall tone of the book isn't so serious. When I think of Silver Surfer, I get a feeling of impending doom that should follow thereafter (either when he's Galactus' herald or not). I guess it felt too light-hearted for my taste.

I did like that two-page spread of Impericon, though.

Just finished San Hannibal #1,, really wish I had #2 w/ me here at work.

I am reallllly liking this book a lot already. The art is just great and the story is starting out just as good. Getting a feel for the main character and also some weird vibe about this messed up city they live in.
As I'm trying to figure out the mystery of what's happen to Savannah Loy and why she went missing,, at the same time I'm curious about this city and the weird vibe, like there's some bad/conspiracy type of things going on.

"Award-winning journalist Savannah Loy has mysteriously gone missing and private investigator Avery has been hired to find her by any means possible.
The search involves an angry boyfriend (possibly current, possibly an ex), an enigmatic musician and a mysterious 5’5″ who can move like the wind.
Also, it makes the reader wonder…what is the deal with the political posters of “Falk” the artist depicts quite a bit? Do they mean something…or nothing at all.
There’s something big he cannot see, something bearing down on the entire city of San Hannibal, California."

Bii

Man I am so behind, I still have like half my books from last week to read and this weeks books. Though I did read Justice League Beyond (this story is coming along really well) and Future's End. I still feel like Future's End barely goes anywhere each issue, specially compared to Batman Eternal which seems to have a much quick pace.

I'm sure you're not the only one; I have 25-30 floppies that I need to get around to reading.

-

Sex Criminals #6

14479049193_09e00cb0f8_o.jpg

I love Sex
:O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
! I was going to trade wait on Sex Criminals but decided to pick up #6 anyway and let me tell you, it's sooooo good. I'm still trying to get my girlfriend to read it. She thinks it's really silly. I guess it didn't help that she saw me rushing to take these photos before I left to work, gathering everything up and plopping it down on a table. I tried to tell her it's for my friends on an internet forum.

14455539611_6133584c92_o.jpg
14272444987_b23df01844_o.jpg

Yeah, just the lying cat Tshirt which I wasn't a big fan of.

I don't understand the Sexual Gary Sex Crims Tshirt. I read the book but don't recall the reference. Let alone a reference big enough to end up on a shirt.

Sexual Gary was a poster in the first (? I think) issue!

Lots of white space in this review, you did good Bii.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I'm sure you're not the only one; I have 25-30 floppies that I need to get around to reading.

-

Sex Criminals #6

14479049193_7a619e90e4_o.jpg

I love Sex
! I was going to trade wait on Sex Criminals but decided to pick up #6 anyway and let me tell you, it's sooooo good. I'm still trying to get my girlfriend to read it. She thinks it's really silly. I guess it didn't help that she saw me rushing to take these photos before I left to work, gathering everything up and plopping it down on a table. I tried to tell her it's for my friends on an internet forum.
ibjmXRk8QtKcu5.gif

Wicked and Divine was pretty good. I'll give it a few issues. On the other hand, the art in Eternal is worse than the previews showed. I think I am going to return it.

Also, Bii... God damnit.

Also, is Wicked and Divine the first book Image has done that launches with a cheaper digital price? $3.50 print / $2.99 digital.

Remember that Matt Fraction letter to the person contemplating suicide on his blog? Remember how amazing his response was? That's exactly how Sex Criminals reads. It's a sex comedy yes, but themes of mental heath, social awkwardness, self discovery are the main themes to be found in this book. It is amazing.

PS. The letters section is ALWAYS fantastic.

Messi

-

Sex Criminals #6

14479049193_7a619e90e4_o.jpg

I love Sex

14455539611_6133584c92_o.jpg
14272444987_b23df01844_o.jpg

MlHm0Zg.gif

tim1138

Bii is hands down the best poster in this thread.

GrandHarrier said:
Also, is Wicked and Divine the first book Image has done that launches with a cheaper digital price? $3.50 print / $2.99 digital.

Nope, MP and Zero are also cheaper digitally. I assume all their books are.

Remember that Matt Fraction letter to the person contemplating suicide on his blog? Remember how amazing his response was? That's exactly how Sex Criminals reads. It's a sex comedy yes, but themes of mental heath, social awkwardness, self discovery are the main themes to be found in this book. It is amazing.

PS. The letters section is ALWAYS fantastic.

Yes, it's amazing.

This book feels so real and it's great. I've never struggled with mental health but the way Jon describes medication and his issues made it felt really personal and sincere. I was expecting The Wicked and The Divine to be my favorite but Sex Crims was just awesome this month. I'm so happy Fraction seems to be successful with it, the way he described his experience at ECCC was really amazing.

And we need to have Messi x GrandHarrier fanfiction so this community can be truly complete.

Wicked and Divine was pretty good. I'll give it a few issues. On the other hand, the art in Eternal is worse than the previews showed. I think I am going to return it.

ahahaha oh man, come on, man.

that's implying unreadability. come on. it still tells a story. it's not broken.

come on.

look.

ahahaha oh man, come on, man.

that's implying unreadability. come on. it still tells a story. it's not broken.

come on.

look.

Take solace that I enjoyed one of the two. I believe Wicked and Divine choose poor art pages for the preview cause the rest of it was actually engaging. I'm basically admitting I was wrong about it.

This shit however is going to haunt my dreams.

Filthy Slug

Take solace that I enjoyed one of the two. I believe Wicked and Divine choose poor art pages for the preview cause the rest of it was actually engaging. I'm basically admitting I was wrong about it.

This shit however is going to haunt my dreams.

Not enough rust and metal and goofy rippled man-muscles for ya?

Batman and Ras al Ghul was amaaaaaazing. Everything about it was just a treat. Tomasi is on fire and Gleason is the oil making it burn all the brighter.

You are aware he is joking right?

I'm not. My store has a limited return policy for people with larger pull lists. Basically, if you don't abuse it, you can occasionally return something without question. I don't do it very often so they've never questioned it or even batted an eye about it. It helps that between my roommate and I we spend like $250 a month. My store is really great.

Not enough rust and metal and goofy rippled man-muscles for ya?

Plenty of examples of non-house style Batman artists that are different without being straight up terrible.

Cheska

To be completely honest, I'm not a fan of Ian Bertram's art in Batman Eternal either. I think it could totally work in a different series and circumstance, but it just doesn't cut it for me in this.

It was a love letter from Tim Seeley to Morrison/Quitley fans. There will be more, get use to it. Some people, like Tim, Jedeye, Slug, adore it.

Green Lanterns: New Guardians #32 was beautiful and extremely creepy. Not just the story reasons, but Brad Walkers art is gorgeous and disturbing where appropriate. Also, mostly Carol (and the Guardians) this issue.

It was a love letter from Tim Seeley to Morrison/Quitley fans. There will be more, get use to it. Some people, like Tim, Jedeye, Slug, adore it.

And that's fine. I just know now to avoid them. So no getting used to it is required. Really, it was my fault for not listening to my gut when I saw the preview which I don't always want to do because sometimes I can be wrong.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oh man Eternal was so so so good, Bertram just became a favourite. So much fun, amazing sense of movement and heft. I need more of this in my life.

IMO they should have thrown this experimental stuff into the series a bit earlier, they did similar stuff on No Man's Land too with that early D'Israeli story. I hope there's a few more oddballs to go with the meat and taters normie stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom