• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Future's End was very intriguing this week. Lots of interesting tidbits about what has happened so far.

Months behind on my monthlies, so all I've caught up on is Eternal and Futures End. Last book I was loving was Superman/WW. Trying to catch up now on everything. Tons of singing gigs have taken all my time.

Sounds like you've got a full plate. Glad to hear it! Hope you are having a good time.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Future's End was very intriguing this week. Lots of interesting tidbits about what has happened so far.

And it's so amazingly normal, right? Man, I love it when things are just like I expect them to be.

Sorry sorry sorry, it's hot and sunny and I'm in a great mood and my great moods include gleeful cuntiness :p

I really enjoyed Original Sin #4, but I can understand how some people might not like the fact that the plot didn't move along. It was basically a lot of chess pieces moving around, with all the character interaction that entails. The difference between how Original Sin is written and something like a Bendis Event (Secret Invasion, House of M), is that the character interaction is interesting and dynamic. All the characters have different personalities that are consistent with their characters, which causes all their interactions to be interesting and meaningful. Just because the issue is full of talking doesn't mean you could swap the word balloons around and still have the issue make sense. Original Sin is, at worst, an interesting comic, if not a good to great one.

On another note, I've read alot of meh concerning Future's End. I really loved the FCBD #0 issue because it involved Batman Beyond and crazy future time-travel where I get to see people die and stuff. Looked liked a rock-solid alternate history premise. But is this pastrami on rye lookin' series really just a turd sandwich?

I disagree with almost everything you wrote, especially since Ron Wimberly drew She-Hulk # 5. The art is just plain stunning, and I think it was the best issue yet. She-Hulk and Shocker sharing some beers after he vibrates his memories back, and having a really interesting down-to-Earth "superhero" talk, as well and Hei Hei mimicking Angie's actions during their adventure. The issue was just so damn fun and felt refreshing.

Also, I think Silver Surfer is great, so I think we're just on opposite sides of the comics fence here.

I enjoyed the writing on She-Hulk #5, but I just could not handle the art. The perspectives were interesting, but the overall line-work and shapes just rubbed me the wrong way. They looked ugly to me. I loved Pulido on it (despite the derpy eyes), so I hope he returns soon. I also hate Baccalo (terrible framing and flow) and enjoy Quitely despite potatoe-people for those that want me to picks sides.

Silver Surfer #3 was charming as all heck.

And it's so amazingly normal, right? Man, I love it when things are just like I expect them to be.

Sorry sorry sorry, it's hot and sunny and I'm in a great mood and my great moods include gleeful cuntiness :p

I can't ever be mad at you bro. Nothing you can say or do will change that. Sorry!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I really enjoyed Original Sin #4, but I can understand how some people might not like the fact that the plot didn't move along. It was basically a lot of chess pieces moving around, with all the character interaction that entails. The difference between how Original Sin is written and something like a Bendis Event (Secret Invasion, House of M), is that the character interaction is interesting and dynamic. All the characters have different personalities that are consistent with their characters, which causes all their interactions to be interesting and meaningful. Just because the issue is full of talking doesn't mean you could swap the word balloons around and still have the issue make sense. Original Sin is, at worst, an interesting comic, if not a good to great one.

Totally agree, it's really well done so far. I had faith because Aaron is an A1 talent but so far he's juggling a massive and diverse cast spectacularly well. Really clever pairings, high stakes, quick and suspenseful pacing. Just great. Art is also very good which is saying something since I've never really liked Deodato's style but he's hit upon something pretty good here. I wonder how he works, a lot of the finer details look like 3d models but it's not as jarring as someone like McKone over on JLU.

I can't ever be mad at you bro. Nothing you can say or do will change that. Sorry!

Well good, I hope you mean that because I never really mean anything badly. I'm just a chimp throwing shite and fiddling with myself.

On another note, I've read alot of meh concerning Future's End. I really loved the FCBD #0 issue because it involved Batman Beyond and crazy future time-travel where I get to see people die and stuff. Looked liked a rock-solid alternate history premise. But is this pastrami on rye lookin' series really just a turd sandwich?

It's got all the hallmarks of a crazy, 52-level romp, and the clearly-Azzarello Hellblazer pages a few issues ago were absolutely great, but the art is really rushed and flimsy. Compare it to Batman Eternal which, even it's non-Bertram issues are embracing style and solid craftsmanship, there's just no trace of any of that in the non-Zircher drawn issues. It's a real shame because Sook is doing JG Jones level work bringing the whole series together through the covers. The art in the actual story, though, really brings it down.

I'm going to stick with it because, at it's core, it's a really fun story. I just hope the art gets a little more consistent and interesting. Or interestingly consistent.

tim1138

So I guess I've bothered DiDio enough on Twitter about digital copies of the Fourth World stuff that he now follows me. He said they're planning on giving them the treatment they deserve, so make of that what you will.

It's got all the hallmarks of a crazy, 52-level romp, and the clearly-Azzarello Hellblazer pages a few issues ago were absolutely great, but the art is really rushed and flimsy. Compare it to Batman Eternal which, even it's non-Bertram issues are embracing style and solid craftsmanship, there's just no trace of any of that in the non-Zircher drawn issues. It's a real shame because Sook is doing JG Jones level work bringing the whole series together through the covers. The art in the actual story, though, really brings it down.

I'm going to stick with it because, at it's core, it's a really fun story. I just hope the art gets a little more consistent and interesting. Or interestingly consistent.
Crazy premise/story jinxed by bad art? Sounds a lot like the last time I tired to re-read Age of Apocalypse. I guess I will just wait until a large chunk of the series is out on comixology and reduced in price and blaze through it.

I'm definitely noticing more praise for Batman eternal, but I'm still unsure of what it is. Basically just a bunch of wacky side adventures featuring the Batman family? That doesn't sound like it's worth the price of admission for me.

Crazy premise/story jinxed by bad art? Sounds a lot like the last time I tired to re-read Age of Apocalypse. I guess I will just wait until a large chunk of the series is out on comixology and reduced in price and blaze through it.

I'm definitely noticing more praise for Batman eternal, but I'm still unsure of what it is. Basically just a bunch of wacky side adventures featuring the Batman family? That doesn't sound like it's worth the price of admission for me.

First page of the very first issue. Bruce is tied up and Gotham is on fire. Someone is talking to him like they got the best of him. That's what Eternal is leading too, were just seeing the road to how we get there now.

It's been pretty good so far. You could always just wait for the trades, the first one is gonna collect the first 20 issues.

First page of the very first issue. Bruce is tied up and Gotham is on fire. Someone is talking to him like they got the best of him. That's what Eternal is leading too, were just seeing the road to how we get there now.

Wow, that's a great way to sell it to me! Now, have the issues been a tight and interesting lead-up, or is it slow and meandering? I mean, I love a good long journey as long as it's interesting and well-written.

tim1138

They need to go full Morrison and have it be Dr Hurt.

Messi

Wow, that's a great way to sell it to me! Now, have the issues been a tight and interesting lead-up, or is it slow and meandering? I mean, I love a good long journey as long as it's interesting and well-written.

It's been moving quickly between characters.

Everything has moved really well. There is a lot of moving parts. They gave us a piece of the puzzle with Batman 28. We know Selina Kyle feels she is betrayed by Batman and in the process, goes full villain mode and becomes the new kingpin of Gotham. We know Alfred is gone and someone new is running the Batcave. Harper Row becomes a sidekick of Batman named Bluebird. Selina also catches Stephanie Brown, aka The Spoiler, and said she is the key to something.

It's just as Serpentine said, the overall tone of the book isn't so serious. When I think of Silver Surfer, I get a feeling of impending doom that should follow thereafter (either when he's Galactus' herald or not). I guess it felt too light-hearted for my taste.

I did like that two-page spread of Impericon, though.
Yeah I feel you. I haven't read any Silver Surfer-centric books before this one so it doesn't really bother me, but I had that same feeling with the new Punisher book.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Not enough talk abou batman and Ra's like . Ending made me intresting but it seems so random

Go back like two pages--A bunch of us were enjoying the hell out of it, and Tim dropped some Kirby knowledge

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
All that talk about the crazy last page in B&R makes me reeeeally want to start reading it... Must hold out for OHC...

That's exactly how Sex Criminals reads. It's a sex comedy yes, but themes of mental heath, social awkwardness, self discovery are the main themes to be found in this book. It is amazing.

I was already gonna pick up the inevitable Sex Criminals OHC because I'm sure I'd like it cause Fraction, but that made me really excited to read it. That sounds super cool.

We need to wait at least 6 - 12 months. The fans will be pissed if we revive you too soon. Maybe during the next NeoGaf Crisis, please understand.

This thread is too good.

ReAxion

Wicked + Divine: hell of a #1. It delivered!

Sex Criminals #6: Fun as always. Touching, too.
hehe

Original Sin #4: I should have known
it wasn't Fury!

Elektra #3: This series continues to impress. Outstanding art and the writing to match.

Silver Surfer #3: Super Who-y, which is great, toomie.

Translucid #3: Still very interesting.
The Navigator seems like he's just bad at his job.

Picked up The Woods #1 with the Comixology price drop. And I'll continue to. It's off on a sprint from the start.

Ha, you guys hear about this yet? For Sex Criminals 6, they made a special variant cover limited to 100 copies and mailed them directly to the girls who originally took this photo:
vWIF8vl.jpg

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
How do we get comics-gaf on a Sex Criminals cover?

Tizoc

Tomorrow I shall read all these comics you scrubs are hyping up. They better be as good as you claim otherwise ya'all got some boring taste in comics :V

I only thought Wicked + Divine was OK. I'll give it a couple more issues, though.

All the praise it's getting is making we really, really want to read it, but I really disliked Phonogram. I just couldn't get into it. I had mixed feelings about Young Avengers too. I thought the art was inventive and stylish and that the dialogue interesting, but there were a lot of rough edges in the plot that made the whole experience feel uneven. Plus the "too cool for school" attitude rubs me the wrong way.

Filthy Slug

All the praise it's getting is making we really, really want to read it, but I really disliked Phonogram. I just couldn't get into it. I had mixed feelings about Young Avengers too. I thought the art was inventive and stylish and that the dialogue interesting, but there were a lot of rough edges in the plot that made the whole experience feel uneven. Plus the "too cool for school" attitude rubs me the wrong way.

Welcome to Wicked and Divine #1, man.

Well thanks to The Wicked and The Divine I'm totally gonna grab that Young Avengers omni later this year.

Hope it's as good as ElNarez says it is!

Read Spikes PM story, thought it was going to be some fan fic erotica that graces the pages of the Arrow thread. Pleasantly surprised it was not. Good job Spike.

Vyer

Really enjoying Original Sin. based Aaron.
though the Winter Soldier stuff was a little crazy there for a minute

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
WHY DID NOBODY TELL ME BRYAN LEE O'MALLEY'S SECONDS IS COMING OUT IN A MONTH!?
I thought it didn't have a release date yet!
Oh man. I'm so excited for that.

I also reeeally need to buy the color editions of Scott Pilgrim. It's a shame they're really expensive for how long it takes to read them (I think I blew through all six books in like three hours when I read them last year...). But man, Scott Pilgrim is probably my all-time favorite. The humor gets me so good.

WHY DID NOBODY TELL ME BRYAN LEE O'MALLEY'S SECONDS IS COMING OUT IN A MONTH!?
I thought it didn't have a release date yet!
Oh man. I'm so excited for that.

I also reeeally need to buy the color editions of Scott Pilgrim. It's a shame they're really expensive for how long it takes to read them (I think I blew through all six books in like three hours when I read them last year...). But man, Scott Pilgrim is probably my all-time favorite. The humor gets me so good.
I'm slowly collecting the HCs, usually as gifts though. I plan on rereading them all once they're all out

Bryan Lee O'Malley is signing at a Barnes & Noble on the day it comes out, but he's also signing at SDCC a few days later, and there are exclusive covers for both. decisions decisions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom