• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
They were playing the long game with him in YJ, but sadly it got canceled before it came to fruition.
He was the newscaster blasting the League and Superman if you remember any of those bits.

I wish I could give you all the Fourth World comics, it is so good. My love of those comics eclipses any other run on any other title. Kirby was a freaking genius.
What's the most monetarily accessible way to break into all this Kirby stuff that I know nothing about? I think it's time to dive into into Kirby's worlds.

Literally exactly what I said in my first post. The issue is an intense battle all throughout Nanda Prabat, with Bats, Frankenstein, and an army of yetis vs. Ra's and his army of Man-bats. Bats finally secures Damian's coffin, and tells Ra's that he will kill him if he tries to take it back from Bruce this time. Then it's the final fight between the two, and the tension is nuts, and then Bruce gets Ra's down and does the horrific thumbs-in-the-eyes and you think he's really about to kill this fucker, then BOOOM. Last page reveal is a dude, surrounded by an army of those flying Apokolips warriors and other goons, saying "Salutations from Apokolips. You may call me Glorious Godfrey."

This may have been my favorite last page reveal ever, and I don't even know who Glorious Godfrey really is.
this sounds like the greatest comic ever, what the hell
Well I'm a guy. Lol

I'm making it for my girlfriend for NYCC. She could wear it! I could cosplay as Green Arrow!
tear down gender norms and rock that shit, bro

Zombine

Banned
Woah Harley was so damn good this week. I laughed at the
fight with the assassins Karen and Jerry.

Speaking of NYCC, they didn't announce when 3-day passes go on sale yet, did they?

I think this weekend? I signed up for the newsletter. I included my credentials in the news letter sign up but I doubt that means shit. I bet I could have gotten passes through other means but I'm sort of new to flexing this sort of thing.

tim1138

What's the most monetarily accessible way to break into all this Kirby stuff that I know nothing about? I think it's time to dive into into Kirby's worlds.

All of the Fourth World comics are collected in four omnibus editions that have everything in the correct reading order. This is important because the Fourth World ran through four titles - Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen (which was basically Jimmy Olsen and the Newsboy Legion), the Forever People, New Gods, and Mr Miracle.

Sadly it looks like the paperbacks are going out of print, IST has volumes 1, 3, and 4 and Amazon only has volumes 1 and 4 (the HC releases are long oop). If you can find volume 2 somewhere, IST would be your go to. Barring that, see if your public library can get them for you via interlibrary loan. If I remember right, you're in NYC right? I'd be amazed if the NYPL system didn't have some kind of ILL capability.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
this sounds like the greatest comic ever, what the hell

tear down gender norms and rock that shit, bro
I genuinely think Tomasi and Gleason's Batman and Robin is the best Batman comic currently out and I think this issue is pretty brilliant in how it pulls off the Big Fight
All of the Fourth World comics are collected in four omnibus editions that have everything in the correct reading order. This is important because the Fourth World ran through four titles - Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen (which was basically Jimmy Olsen and the Newsboy Legion), the Forever People, New Gods, and Mr Miracle.

Sadly it looks like the paperbacks are going out of print, IST has volumes 1, 3, and 4 and Amazon only has volumes 1 and 4 (the HC releases are long oop). If you can find volume 2 somewhere, IST would be your go to. Barring that, see if your public library can get them for you via interlibrary loan. If I remember right, you're in NYC right? I'd be amazed if the NYPL system didn't have some kind of ILL capability.
Oh, man, thanks for writing that up. I'm going to get that first volume via IST and then hit up some other means for 2. I may be pming you about all this stuff once I get reading, if that's cool. Also, yeah, NY and I have a library a block away, so it's always an option!

tim1138

I genuinely think Tomasi and Gleason's Batman and Robin is the best Batman comic currently out and I think this issue is pretty brilliant in how it pulls off the Big Fight

Oh, man, thanks for writing that up. I'm going to get that first volume via IST and then hit up some other means for 2. I may be pming you about all this stuff once I get reading, if that's cool. Also, yeah, NY and I have a library a block away, so it's always an option!

I will happily talk about Kirby and the Fourth World whenever you or anyone wants. Bring it on! I'd be almost willing to guarantee that after reading the Fourth World you will come to love Final Crisis even more and on a whole different level.

Harley Quinn was another great issue. Seems like the quality of DC's stuff has went up after Forever Evil ended. I know there is no direct correlation from that but it just seems I have not read a dud in awhile. There was one Futures End issue that sucked but that's it.

I have Sex Criminals left to read and I'll be done.

Messi

Wicked is screwing up Harley's return to the peak of the book of the month. Hope it's good though. I like the Brunette on the cover.

Cheska

There is not nearly enough Marvel talk in here right now.

Elektra #3 was the best one yet. Continues to be gorgeous, but I was completely enthralled by the story. There's just something about scenes that take place underwater that I find stunning.

Owzers

She-Hulk #5 was okay, i don't mind pulido eyes, but i don't really like the book, the issue felt a little straight forward and lacking something in the humor or intrigue department.

So far She Hulk and Silver Surfer are at the bottom of my list, Moon Knight might be there too if i wasn't already dropping it after Ellis left.

Chile's victory has got me on a super comic reading sentiment for some reason.

Batman and Ra's was BONKERS. BONKERS I SAY.

Anyone else read Turtles in Time #1? Campbell draws the best TMNT.

W+D, TMP and OS are my favorite books this week.

Filthy Slug

Elektra #3 was the best one yet. Continues to be gorgeous, but I was completely enthralled by the story. There's just something about scenes that take place underwater that I find stunning.

Elektra was fantastic, and that first splash page with all of the different "tastes" of peoples memories is absurd. I studied it for a solid 5 minutes trying to tease out all of the intricacies.

She-Hulk #5 was okay, i don't mind pulido eyes, but i don't really like the book, the issue felt a little straight forward and lacking something in the humor or intrigue department.

I disagree with almost everything you wrote, especially since Ron Wimberly drew She-Hulk # 5. The art is just plain stunning, and I think it was the best issue yet. She-Hulk and Shocker sharing some beers after he vibrates his memories back, and having a really interesting down-to-Earth "superhero" talk, as well and Hei Hei mimicking Angie's actions during their adventure. The issue was just so damn fun and felt refreshing.

Also, I think Silver Surfer is great, so I think we're just on opposite sides of the comics fence here.

Zombine

Banned

Elektra has honestly been rivaling Black Science for me. I just read this issue because you mentioned it, and I honestly feel like it's one of the best Marvel books on the shelf. I am praying this beautiful book doesn't get canceled by the 6th issue.

Also, I think Silver Surfer is great, so I think we're just on opposite sides of the comics fence here.

Silver Surfer is my Dr. Who. Issue #2 was perfect, but I haven't read #3 yet. I expect the quality to remain the same.

Boogiepop

Just saw Days of Future Past. It was fun, though felt a tad disjointed here and there. I also unfortunately spoiled the post-credits scene for myself by accidentally seeing an IMDB listing for the next movie pretty much right before the showing. Bleh. Oh, and that
Apocalypse "
costume
" was lame. Here's hoping he doesn't spend much/any time in the actual movie looking like that

Oh, and in watching the credits I spotted the list of X-men movies at the end, which reminded me that they totally made a second Wolverine movie. Was it as awful as the first? Just got kind of curious as I guess it's the only X-men film I haven't seen. Also, weren't they making a Deadpool movie? Is that just trapped in development hell?

i only got uncanny x-men today and it was great as usual. first week without getting x-men or wolverine and the x-men. i went thru some withdrawals, but im better for it. cant fuck with those shit comics anymore.

Owzers

Elektra was fantastic, and that first splash page with all of the different "tastes" of peoples memories is absurd. I studied it for a solid 5 minutes trying to tease out all of the intricacies.

I disagree with almost everything you wrote, especially since Ron Wimberly drew She-Hulk # 5. The art is just plain stunning, and I think it was the best issue yet. She-Hulk and Shocker sharing some beers after he vibrates his memories back, and having a really interesting down-to-Earth "superhero" talk, as well and Hei Hei mimicking Angie's actions during their adventure. The issue was just so damn fun and felt refreshing.

We're talking about the wrong issue....checking, it was issue #4 i read. Haven't gotten 5 yet, spoilers everywhereeeeeeeeeeee i'm not reading the rest of your post even though i'm replying!

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Oh geez. I come back to the comic thread and I've already got like 5 pages of posts to catch up on. Stupid real life screwing up my ability to keep up-to-date. Guess that's what happens when I work and do things and spend a ton of time applying to jobs...
Can't even catch up now since I gotta wake up at 2:50am tomorrow morning. So yeah, stop posting for the next 12 hours until I can get back up to speed.

Aaaaaaanyways, with that said, I very well may have missed a post regarding exactly this, but is anyone planning to pick up that Frank Quitely book that came out yesterday? I'm really interested to hear what it's like/what the contents are. I'm really interested in it if it isn't just a random scattering of single issues out of context that Quitely did the art for.

Let's talk about this when you're done, it's one of my favorite comics ever. [regarding Green Lantern/Green Arrow]

I really gotta pick this up sometime...
On a related note, my IST wishlist is getting scary.

Edit:
Six Gun Gorilla TPB already came out? Any idea why it isn't on IST?

Filthy Slug

We're talking about the wrong issue....checking, it was issue #4 i read. Haven't gotten 5 yet, spoilers everywhereeeeeeeeeeee i'm not reading the rest of your post even though i'm replying!

YO, don't read what I wrote. 5 is my favorite issue. 6 is done by Wimberly as well, I believe.

Cheska

More comic talk! Get on your board and enjoy the power cosmic! Free copy of Silver Surfer issue 3 for you loves.

Quote this to see the code in the email tag :D

Vyer

HOLY SHIT Batman and _____! That was just straight up awesome.

I am totally on board for whatever Robin Rises turns out to be.

After these last two issues I would also be totally on board for a Batman and Frankenstein team up where they deal with freaky mystic shit.

Wicked is screwing up Harley's return to the peak of the book of the month. Hope it's good though. I like the Brunette on the cover.

Only you would complain about having two epic books, Messi. :(

I love the artwork in Elektra, not too sure about this villain in the current arc. Scenery was gorgeous, though. So much good stuff came out today that I don't know what to talk about first. And I didn't even get through my whole stack yet. Batman Eternal, TMNT and Sex Criminals are still among the unread.

i only got uncanny x-men today and it was great as usual. first week without getting x-men or wolverine and the x-men. i went thru some withdrawals, but im better for it. cant fuck with those shit comics anymore.

I dropped both of those books also.

Me too. Uncanny X-Men and All-New X-Men are the only X-books I really enjoy.

Edit:
Six Gun Gorilla TPB already came out? Any idea why it isn't on IST?

That was really odd. I picked it up at a Barnes & Noble the Monday of the week it was due to come out. IST, TFAW, and even my LCS didn't get any copies in. Amazon has it now, though, if you really need it (you do).

I wasn't feeling She-Hulk #5. I haven't been following the book, but I also wasn't feeling it when it started. It's just not fun/funny/interesting enough as a "people talking" comic to hold my interest. I like Wimberly but I didn't think the coloring fit his art. Cool last two pages though

SHIT IS GETTING INTENSE in Original Sin. Dat last page

Thor is easly Marvels best book. easily on par with uncanny avengers. Old man necor thor vs galactus was badd ass

SHIT IS GETTING INTENSE in Original Sin. Dat last page

I no rite. I
should have known the one Winter Soldier killed was a fucking LMD. I just thought it might have been the real Fury because of all the blood and stuff
. Also, the Orb was fucking hilarious.
"Hello! I talk to eyeballs!"

If anyone wants to see the last page of B&R, here is the tweet I sent Tim.

https://twitter.com/nmairose/status/479434602504019968

I read Sex Criminals and hot damn, that was one of the best issues they have put out. I'm actually debating how ill rank it against W+D.

And.......Books of the week.

5. Batman Eternal
4. Wonder Woman
3. Batman and Ras
2. Sex Criminals
1. The Wicked + The Divine

Harley wins my favorite cover of the week. Harley and Futures End were right behind Eternal.

Bii

More comic talk! Get on your board and enjoy the power cosmic! Free copy of Silver Surfer issue 3 for you loves.

Quote this to see the code in the email tag :D

Does Silver Surfer get better after the first issue? Because I was not impressed.

And f me, I totally forgot to grab The Wicked + The Divine when I went to pick up my comics today. It's probably sold out by now. :( Guess I'll have to order it online.

PsychBat!

Banned
Considering dropping Iron Man completely after taking a break from it. Thor continues to be good. Really looking forward to what happens next in King Thor's time. Daredevil just ramped up for me and I knew Waid wouldn't disappoint. This recent Punisher gives off an Ennis vibe which is great and I want to stick with the book from now on. I still miss Rucka's run.

Also shocked in what happens in Avengers, suspense is killing me.

I have mixed feelings on the art in Batman Eternal. On one hand, I thought the art was great, and I really dig it - BUT, I don't feel that it suits Batman at all. Which might be an odd thing to say considering it does bear a resemblance to Quitely's work.

Cheska

Does Silver Surfer get better after the first issue? Because I was not impressed.

That's difficult to say since I felt that the first issue was a very good representation of what was ahead for the story.

I'm personally viewing it as an interlude to an intergalactic adventure with two likeable characters. Plenty of humor and spectacular art IMO.

What was it you didn't particularly care for?

Avengers - Vol. 1-3 (2013-2014):
Wow, great stuff.
I've never been an Avengers reader due to the lack of a "starting point" to get into, but Original Sin appears to link with Avengers in quite a few issues, so I decided to buy the three available comic sets to give the series a go. Honestly, it might be my favorite Marvel series so far. When it comes to story, this gets an award. It's an easy series to get into, the plot ties back to the previous issues through the events, and all the characters seem to be represented well and are given enough time in the spotlight. I think my favorite part has to be Thor's discussion with Hyperion. What a swell set of scenes.
The art is of varied quality. Some issues blew me away in terms of details and flow, while some looked like Iron Man's first few issues without the terrible faces.
I recommend the new Avengers series to anyone that wants to step in into the world of Marvel. Good stuff.

Hulk - 4:
Oh, my. Well, this solved the "writer leaving the comic" thing going on behind the scenes while establishing future plot points in a way that doesn't feel forced or rushed. I really love the pacing that these four issues have gone with. I definitely look forward to reading more and recommend that others try this out. It's really good, everyone.

The Wicked and The Divine 1:
I don't get it.
The art was nice, though.

That's difficult to say since I felt that the first issue was a very good representation of what was ahead for the story.

I'm personally viewing it as an interlude to an intergalactic adventure with two likeable characters. Plenty of humor and spectacular art IMO.

What was it you didn't particularly care for?

It might be that the book has a bit of a silly, zany, not-all-that-serious-in-the-face-of-impending-doom tone to it, but it seems all of the books that Allred illustrates have that feel to them. Even iZombie felt that way.

Sex Criminals #6 was amazing. I'm glad i decided to start picking it up in singles because the letters section, oh man

And f me, I totally forgot to grab The Wicked + The Divine when I went to pick up my comics today. It's probably sold out by now. :( Guess I'll have to order it online.
Cheska's right, but at the same time, I do think it picked up after that. So it depends on what left you unimpressed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom