• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sooo now I end up ordering the entire set in one go so I know I can immediately move over to the next one once I'm done without waiting. So far I haven't regretted anything, but it's still something I worry about when making these big purchases.

I tend to do that sometimes if I'm just getting into a series that's been out for a while. Only because I worry that if I buy trades one at a time, one of them might suddenly go out of print and I'll be stuck in the middle. No one knows what you like better than you, but it couldn't hurt to reign in the spending a bit. It's hard, sometimes though. There are a lot of good books out there, but you can't read everything. It may have been possible a couple decades ago, but not anymore.

Bii

I don't think they have either. See this is the dilemma I always have, which is actually how I essentially end up spending so much money:

I see a series that looks interesting, decide to pick up volume one, end up loving it and hate that I have to wait for the rest of the books.

Sooo now I end up ordering the entire set in one go so I know I can immediately move over to the next one once I'm done without waiting. So far I haven't regretted anything, but it's still something I worry about when making these big purchases.

At least you don't forget what you had ordered. I was rearranging my shelves today and noticed I have two copies of the Infinite Crisis trade. I don't remember buying two of them and can't even think of why I would even need more than one. :/

At least you don't forget what you had ordered. I was rearranging my shelves today and noticed I have two copies of the Infinite Crisis trade. I don't remember buying two of them and can't even think of why I would even need more than one. :/

If it makes you feel any better, I've done the same thing only with Batman and Son. I bought the Grant Morrison run out of order and I ended up buying it despite the fact that it was included with the hardcover of The Black Glove...

Owzers

Batman #31 was pretty good, i like the Nigma side of this zero year saga but overall i have to say i'm still a bit bored with the whole thing. I think my main problem is its wordy and i don't care about Gotham, young bruce, bruce's parents, gordon, alfred, etc, it just seems dull. The best part of Snyder's entire Batman run was that crazy issue in the Court of Owls arc, #8 or so when he was in the maze. The arc ended poorly, transitioned into DotF which i hated, and now we have a long zero year that i'm enjoying the closer it gets to ending.

So.....good issue!

Bii

Obviously so that you can enjoy it twice as much.

*laughs* I read it already and have started on the 52 trades. Guess I can try to offload it to someone or stash it in a box that I will eventually give away.

If it makes you feel any better, I've done the same thing only with Batman and Son. I bought the Grant Morrison run out of order and I ended up buying it despite the fact that it was included with the hardcover of The Black Glove...

What did you end up doing with the extra trade?

Batman #31 was pretty good, i like the Nigma side of this zero year saga but overall i have to say i'm still a bit bored with the whole thing. I think my main problem is its wordy and i don't care about Gotham, young bruce, bruce's parents, gordon, alfred, etc, it just seems dull. The best part of Snyder's entire Batman run was that crazy issue in the Court of Owls arc, #8 or so when he was in the maze. The arc ended poorly, transitioned into DotF which i hated, and now we have a long zero year that i'm enjoying the closer it gets to ending.

So.....good issue!

I like the flashbacks of young Bruce. The pace of Zero Year is a bit slower compared to Death of the Family but it still has my attention.

I'm surprised you didn't mention the part where Batman
beats up two lions and even ties one up in the car!
. Now that was a bit over-the-top. Seriously. I guess this is where the "Batman with prep time" cliche comes in. :p

I'm surprised you didn't mention the part where Batman
beats up two lions and even ties one up in the car!
. Now that was a bit over-the-top. Seriously. I guess this is where the "Batman with prep time" cliche comes in. :p
That's a throwback to good ol campy Batman.

I still have it! Lol I'm thinking about giving it away to my best friend since he's never read Morrison's Batman. But he only really reads indie stuff so I don't know if he'd actually read it.

Oh well, I got him to read Deadly Class and The Wicked and the Divine at least.

Finally on the eve of 13 or so more comics coming tomorrow I finally caught up from the last 2 weeks. I know I've asked this before but is anyone else (Spike maybe?) reading Samurai Jack? I'd love to know your thoughts on it.

Just a few quick thoughts.

Sex Criminals was good, though after a 3 month wait between issues I wanted more. Wicked and Divine was good but not the OMGAmazeballs others seemed to think of it yet. Definitely an interesting concept and I'm excited to see where it goes.

Batwoman may be the next book I drop, I don't know I just haven't been feeling the last few issues. Not that it's been bad, but it really hasn't been interesting either.

Beyond 2.0 SOOO GOOD
Barbara and Dick have a kid together, did not expect that, or Grayson being against the lords

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Remender shared the cover the Low #5.

Bq4GIiQCAAMMSvr.jpg:large

So nice.

That cover is sweet

also that Johns AMA was really cool. he's such a positive dude who lives the goddamn dream. Hyped me up for Superman tomorrow

Lets be honest about the real news from the Geoff Johns AMA: If anyone has time travel he wants to create the real Legion of Super Heroes.

Nothing else matters.

Beyond 2.0 SOOO GOOD
Barbara and Dick have a kid together, did not expect that, or Grayson being against the lords

Shit 'bought to get rul next issue. I'm ready for
Lord Superman
to get wrecked.

The irony of
Dick and Barbara finding happiness together in a world as messed up as the Justice Lords, is pretty amusing.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

So.....good issue!

I like everything about Zero Year except the Riddler. The Riddler has never been great and will never be great. Snyder's barely even playing up to the character's strength (fun riddles) and so while he's in this position of power I still find myself scratching my head and wondering the hows and whys of it. He's simply not that much of a power player and the story is doing a poor job at convincing me otherwise.

Still a decent arc though.

Messi

Has anybody read Lil Depressed Boy?

Edit : I am not caught up on Batman but I really hope Ivy is a main character in Snyder's Batman soon. Would love to see what he would do with her and what Capullos version of her would look like.

kd-z

I don't think they have either. See this is the dilemma I always have, which is actually how I essentially end up spending so much money:

I see a series that looks interesting, decide to pick up volume one, end up loving it and hate that I have to wait for the rest of the books.

I'm a trade reader (partially because it's expensive and not easy to get singles in Poland) and have a similar problem. When I got into comics I came up with a plan: buy a couple trades a month, each from a different series, and then buy the next trades from the same series. I thought this approach would simulate a regular pull ;)

Except that it didn't. If anything new and interesting came out some other series would have to skip a month. I also had trouble deciding what to buy. So now I'm considering switching to more of a "all or nothing" approach: buy the first trade to check out if I'm event into the story, then buy the rest in one-two huge purchases.

The Planetary omnibus was a great buy and I greatly enjoyed reading through the entire, epic and wonderful story through the course of an entire month.

Also: I lent Three to a friend two days ago and he powered through it in one sitting (which he NEVER does!). It's a fantastic comic: very personal, full of powerful scenes and imagery and it actually has something to say about ancient ideals of masculinity.

And the scene that opens the last issue?
Your dogs are dead. Send men... if you have any." Holy crap, such an epic moment!

And I just got a text that I'll get the first Zero Year hardcover and the Six-Gun Gorilla trade today! :D!

tim1138

Well the mystery of one of the missing Leaguers from the end of Forever Evil was answered in Justice League this month.

Element Woman is somehow in the Doom Patrol now

ElNarez

Banned
AWWWWWW SHIT X-FORCE #5.

Everything gets explained. EVERYTHING. All in a nice little package with a cute little ribbon. And holy shit. Spurrier went and done did it again, writing the best X-book on the shelves. GET IN ON THAT. STAT.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Just browsing IST and I'm super bummed there's no hardcover collection for Atomic Robo. Would love to get started on this series, but I just hate buying a ton of TPB's.

Literally this exact same thing was going through my head yesterday. Atomic Robo looks super fun, but man, $14 per TPB is really pricey. And there's ten of them.
And it doesn't help that it seems like it's a pretty quick read. I read the free issue from Comixology, and though I really enjoyed it, I breezed through it in probably less than five minutes.
One day I will read Atomic Robo though. It seems like a great time.

Was this a subtle way of saying you want the Batman & Son trade?
Asking because I'm actually in the exact same boat as Tyrant Rave, (though for different reasons: I bought the trade first, then decided I wanted to buy the OHC) so I've got a redundant copy of Batman & Son.
If you want it, it's all yours. If you haven't read it yet, you'll be in for a treat.

kd-z

AWWWWWW SHIT X-FORCE #5.

Everything gets explained. EVERYTHING. All in a nice little package with a cute little ribbon. And holy shit. Spurrier went and done did it again, writing the best X-book on the shelves. GET IN ON THAT. STAT.

ElNarez, weren't you the one recommending Three in this thread?

tim1138

Doom Patrol book incoming?

I really hope so, but more than most other books it would really need the right creative team to make it work.

If you're curious the roster was
the Chief, Negative Man, Elasti-Woman, Robotman, and Element Woman. I'm hoping against hope that Element Woman is somehow tied to Animal-Vegetable-Mineral-Man.

Are there any "amazing" comic books stores in Vegas I can/should check out? Even being on my honey moon I gota find a way to geek out haha.

kd-z

I probably did because I'm a stan for anything Gillen does and using history to go ham on Frank Miller sounds like a thing I'm all about.

I'm happy brah.

And ai was recommending Three hardcore back in October November.

Yup, it was you guys! Thanks, it was a fantastic read :)

Also, since ElNarez is on my list of trusted people now, after I'm done with Six-Gun Gorilla I'll probably jump into X-Men Legacy or X-Force (that art, though :().

Oh, and BTW, the SGG trade is fantastic. Thick, sturdy and looks great.

They've done 75 Greatest Batman Covers, then the 75 Greatest Batman Friends and Foes, just wrapped up the 75 Greatest Batman Writers and Artists, and now its time to vote for the 75 Greatest Batman Stories. I had to think about it, but I came up with a 10 I was happy with.

1. Mad Love
2. The Dark Knight Returns
3. Year One
4. The Club of Heroes (Batman #667-669)
5. Batman and Robin Must Die!
6. Batman Incorporated - Leviathan
7. Strange Apparitions
8. Eye of the Beholder (Batman Annual #14)
9. To Kill a Legend (Detective Comics #400)
10. The Player on the Other Side (Batman Special #1)

Messi

Yup, it was you guys! Thanks, it was a fantastic read :)

Also, since ElNarez is on my list of trusted people now, after I'm done with Six-Gun Gorilla I'll probably jump into X-Men Legacy or X-Force (that art, though :().

Oh, and BTW, the SGG trade is fantastic. Thick, sturdy and looks great.

Kinda wanna know who else is on the trusted list.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Batman #666 is probably my favorite Batman story. Future Damian taking over as Batman is incredibly well realized in the issue and the ending is perfect.

tim1138

Batman #666 is probably my favorite Batman story. Future Damian taking over as Batman is incredibly well realized in the issue and the ending is perfect.

This is probably my favorite single issue of Batman.

I think my favorite arc would either be Club of Heroes or the first year of Inc (preN52). That said, I do love a lot of the campy Silver Age stuff that most people hate.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
They've done 75 Greatest Batman Covers, then the 75 Greatest Batman Friends and Foes, just wrapped up the 75 Greatest Batman Writers and Artists, and now its time to vote for the 75 Greatest Batman Stories. I had to think about it, but I came up with a 10 I was happy with.

1. Mad Love
2. The Dark Knight Returns
3. Year One
4. The Club of Heroes (Batman #667-669)
5. Batman and Robin Must Die!
6. Batman Incorporated - Leviathan
7. Strange Apparitions
8. Eye of the Beholder (Batman Annual #14)
9. To Kill a Legend (Detective Comics #400)
10. The Player on the Other Side (Batman Special #1)

gaaahhh, I probably have read over a thousand batman comics, picking a top ten is so hard!

edit: I have stories that had a big impact on me, and then there are stories that are objectively well written and good. Plus nailing down issue numbers is tricky...

Okay, let's make a pass at this. No particular order at first:

Year One - got to have it, right? Art and writing both hold up next to anything made today.
Batman and Robin 1st arc - potato-faced Batman is best Batman
Snow - Seth Fisher, nuff said
No Man's Land - can I even have this? It's so big and unweildy. If it's too big then the first arc would do it.
Contagion - my first Bat-crossover in real time. Excellent story, has some decent artists and a big concept.
Batman Year 100 - if nothing else than for the first issue alone, it's perfection.
Knightquest: The Crusade - yeah you heard me. The MIDDLE. AzBats losing his shit. Mostly because this chunk was a legendary run that I had to track down over years, but it's hugely important to me.
Detective Comics #567, the Night of Thanks but No Thanks - I read this as a kid and it just stuck with me. Silly, sweet, not the kind of bat-tale we get any more.
The Black Glove - it's just perfect. Art, story, got one of the best FUCK YEAH BATMAN moments ever.
Legends of the Dark Knight: Spooks - nobody talks about this one but it was just a great whodunnit spooky Batman story, a lot like the Club of Heroes arc. Fantastic art, genuinely creepy at times, has remained strong in my heart ever since.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
The ones that come to mind are Jedeye, tim, Filthy Slug and ViewtifulJC.

Also donniewhalberg, but I don't think he's written a single post in like half a year :(

I miss donniewhalberg, man. He always had such thorough suggestions, and didn't shy away from long--but smart--posts.

This is probably my favorite single issue of Batman.

I think my favorite arc would either be Club of Heroes or the first year of Inc (preN52). That said, I do love a lot of the campy Silver Age stuff that most people hate.

How did you feel about the follow-up issue to # 666 in Batman Inc.?

tim1138

I miss donniewhalberg, man. He always had such thorough suggestions, and didn't shy away from long--but smart--posts.

How did you feel about the follow-up issue to # 666 in Batman Inc.?

I loved seeing Burnham draw that dystopian mess of Gotham and the Simon Hurt stuff, but at the same time I dunno if it was really necessary to the narrative of year two of Inc.
I think it's a shame the potential of that world was wasted on that Andy Kubert mini, that's for sure.

More than anything that issue made me long for the preN52 Batman when it seemed like Morrison might actually kill off Bruce for good. I remember reading speculation online when Inc first launched that it was going to end with the opening of Batman #666 and Damian standing over Bruce's body.

dan2026

Its weird I used to be a big DC fan for many years, but now nothing DC is putting out excites me anymore.

I think ever since the new 52 (or even before probably) everything has just creatively lost its way. Nothing feels fresh or exciting anymore.

I used to be all about Batman, but now even that doesn't grab me :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom