• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fertygo

This Superman run seem promising!

And Zero Year building to great finale, and dat Batman Eternal last page, shit got real.. great comic day.

Only cause of you, Comic-GAF:

20140625_064533z1je2.jpg

Hope it's good.

Cheska

I remember going to San Diego Comic-Con for the first time back in 2011 and noticed this huge booth there with all of these amazing sculpts, statues and memorabilia. It was Sideshow Collectibles. They had an amazing looking Cyclops in his blue/yellow suit and a rockin' Iron Man (forget which armor it was, maybe Mark VI?) and I had wanted to buy one and take it home with me. I asked the people around me how much it was and as soon as the muttered the price range, my heart sank. I barely mustered enough money to attend SDCC and there was just no way I could afford even one statue without making other compromises.

But that was three years ago and my disposable income right now is significantly larger, so.... *must resist* o_O

The reason I prefer to order from Sideshow directly, outside of their exclusive content, is that I like to use the payment plan method. It's easier for me to justify $40-$60/figure each month and not be hit with a huge bill when they're actually released.

Only cause of you, Comic-GAF:

20140625_064533z1je2.jpg

Hope it's good.

You've done good young padawan.

Owzers

New Avengers #19 was pretty good until the last page. What a cramped, pathetic excuse for a page. Hickman needs to be stopped, it's the same layouts that plagued the Infinity event, strict usage of single page "spreads" instead of going for two pages detrimental to the moment.

That last page in Batman, those colors! I can't believe were down to one last issue in Zero Year!

Also, Bat editor Mark Doyle has a little story about Robin Rises arc.....I'll just take a pic.

Bq_eB20IEAAT5wn.jpg

Did anyone else check out Justice League? It was a fairly juicy issue with the
conversation between Bruce and Lex (although the frog and scorpion bit was cheesy and a waste of space), the new Power Ring and the Doom Patrol (Element Woman!).
Liking the direction of the book overall post-FE although it does feel like it's being used primarily to set up yet another event.

Oh. Was that a C on Cyborg's chest :( urgh.

Amazing Spider-man 3 was really good. For some reason, Ramos's art popped more than usual. Really liked it. One moment in the book had me going W......T.......F.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I was actually curious of what became of the extra trade because I was thinking of offloading it here. I also have a few floppies that I have duplicates of because I wasn't paying attention to what I had read. :/

Thank you for the offer but I still have a backlog of mine to get through. :) Maybe if it's still available in a few weeks/months, I'll send you a message.

Sounds good! I just let my friend borrow it the other day, so as long as he gets it back to me in one piece, it's all yours whenever you decide the time is right to start reading Morrison's Batman!

fauxtrot

Banned
Hey man, if you want to really try the best in the biz, buy Hellboy Seed Of Destruction and then read along with this:
http://multiversitycomics.com/special/mignolaversity-the-mignolaverse-reading-order/

READ IT ALLLLLLLLL

My man.

No idea what I'm getting myself into, but I'm down for $15.00. I don't recognize anything on there except Red Sonja, GRRM, Robert Jordan, and Sherlock Holmes. How bad could it be, right? ... right?

Superman #32 was very good. Johns run off to a good start. The first Johns New 52 book i've liked, actually
Sorry, I should have clarified. It's the art style.

Edit: I was thumbing through Valiant's FCBD previews issue. So maybe what was sampled in it wasn't a fair representation?
they have a house style for sure. Some of it is good, but rarely ever top tier stuff
Well, okay, let's talk about the art.

They definitely don't venture too far afield from a core style by and large, I'll definitely give you that.
well... yeah. Harbinger went up and down in that HC i read, but I really liked Khari Evans stuff for the first arc. It really fit the book.

speaking of house styles...
I think i'm gonna pass on this one. the majority just look really bad. Not sure if it's worth to pay 11 bucks just for Simone's Red Sonja, and then a bunch of mediocrity. though i hear Pathfinder is pretty good

Li Kao

No idea what I'm getting myself into, but I'm down for $15.00 ... I don't recognize anything on there except Red Sonja, GRRM, Robert Jordan, and Sherlock Holmes. How bad could it be, right? ... right?

Mhhh, I'm let down a little but with humble and the fact that my tastes are not universal that's no surprise.
I will surely will be down for Sherlock Holmes, Project Superpowers, Legenderry and Green Hornet. Pulps and Bill Willingham (Legenderry), that not a bad haul, that's even borderline life is good.
And they will add some more comics, so there is always a chance to snag a Shadow, Spider etc.
Still, and this is not a diss on the fans, I could have done without a lot of the rest. It will be an oppotunity to try Vampirella and Red Sonja though, but I was I no rush to.

kd-z

Hey man, if you want to really try the best in the biz, buy Hellboy Seed Of Destruction and then read along with this:
http://multiversitycomics.com/special/mignolaversity-the-mignolaverse-reading-order/

READ IT ALLLLLLLLL

Oh hell yes, DO READ HELLBOY. And BPRD. Don't know about any other Mignolaverse books but I have no reason to doubt their quality.

This also reminds me that I have to finally man up, get the last Plague of Frogs hardcover, read it and jump into Hell on Earth.

Kipp

Oh boy. Just got this in the mail. Paid $40 total and it was priority shipped. Everything in excellent shape. I'm pretty sure I got a total bargain.

I know, I know, a lot of you guys didn't love Ex Machina, but I'm still convinced I'll like it since I really enjoy BKV and the premise really interests me. Plus my good friend just read it and said it was great. Plus $30 for the whole series.
And don't worry, I didn't pay for Dark Knight Strikes Again. I got it thrown into the order for free. Haha. I am pretty excited to read it though even though nobody seems to like it.

$40 is a fuckin deal for all those comics, god damn
Mhhh, I'm let down a little but with humble and the fact that my tastes are not universal that's no surprise.
I will surely will be down for Sherlock Holmes, Project Superpowers, Legenderry and Green Hornet. Pulps and Bill Willingham (Legenderry), that not a bad haul, that's even borderline life is good.
And they will add some more comics, so there is always a chance to snag a Shadow, Spider etc.
Still, and this is not a diss on the fans, I could have done without a lot of the rest. It will be an oppotunity to try Vampirella and Red Sonja though, but I was I no rush to.
Have you read Black Beetle yet?
Throwback pulp art doesn't get much better than Francavilla these days.

Li Kao

Nope, still in my I don't know what to read, too many options phase. But that one caught my attention when it was released. Did it began in Dark Horse Presents ? Because as some of the new DH titles started there I was thinking about prioritizing a DHP read.

Kipp

I'm pretty sure I paid just over $0.50 per issue on average. Haha. Doesn't get much better than that. I'm very pleased.

And seconding that Black Beetle recommendation. Everyone who hasn't read that really ought to. It's pure noiry greatness. Really fun/entertaining, great story, amazing art (obviously).
Necrologue reeeeally needs to get released soon.

Nope, still in my I don't know what to read, too many options phase. But that one caught my attention when it was released. Did it began in Dark Horse Presents ? Because as some of the new DH titles started there I was thinking about prioritizing a DHP read.

It did, but the DHP stories are collected in a #0 issue, which is collected in the hardcover i believe.

tim1138

Oh boy. Just got this in the mail. Paid $40 total and it was priority shipped. Everything in excellent shape. I'm pretty sure I got a total bargain.

I know, I know, a lot of you guys didn't love Ex Machina, but I'm still convinced I'll like it since I really enjoy BKV and the premise really interests me. Plus my good friend just read it and said it was great. Plus $30 for the whole series.
And don't worry, I didn't pay for Dark Knight Strikes Again. I got it thrown into the order for free. Haha. I am pretty excited to read it though even though nobody seems to like it.

I see the Unknown Soldier in there, well done.

Loved Superman 32! I for one, love JRJRs work. He is my Frank Quitley. That's not an insult but to say I understand the art is polarizing and understand if someone doesn't like it. Loved the Clark Kent stuff and Jimmy and Perry stuff.

fauxtrot

Banned

frye

backwards baseball cap superman is the most jrjr thing in the world

also that hair on that new dude, goddamn

On the whole though Superman 32 is v. solid and good

Loved Superman 32! I for one, love JRJRs work. He is my Frank Quitley. That's not an insult but to say I understand the art is polarizing and understand if someone doesn't like it. Loved the Clark Kent stuff and Jimmy and Perry stuff.

I've haven't bought a Superman comic since I was a kid but I'll probably pick up the trade of JRJR's run on Supes for the art alone. I'm pretty lukewarm on him but only because he's hit-or-miss at times for me. Sometimes his work comes off really rushed/sloppy but when he's on his A-game, it's top-tier stuff for sure. His Superman work from what I've seen is astonishing.

tim1138

I really enjoyed Laura Martin's colors, especially blurring Supes in motion to show his speed.

fauxtrot

Banned
How can COPRA be so good and All-New Ultimates be so bad? I really hope Michel Fiffe gets another shot in the big leagues after this...

Messi

That almost sounded like an insult when I started reading it. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom