• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Ordered today the last Trade of Matt Fractions Iron Man Run. Such a great work. While the beginning was just amazing, in the middle it had its worser moments (the strange arc, where he is fleeing in his car from drones), but overall it was just great.

Next up is Brubakers Captain America.

I revisited it recently, I'm not sure if it's the leftover Larry Hama stink on McDaniel or what but Bru's run is super weird. I wouldn't say it's a fave really. Not a patch on Rucka's Tec run at least.

Oh man Larry Hama run. The less we speak I that the better . Don't know how the guy behind GI joe did that

We will do that anyway

4bA3vBE.jpg

Just topped my record for biggest online order so far...looking forward to getting these next week :D

UNCANNY X-FORCE BY RICK REMENDER OMNIBUS HC
GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY / ALL-NEW X-MEN THE TRIAL OF JEAN GREY PREMIERE HC
UNCANNY X-MEN (MARVEL NOW!) VOL 02 BROKEN PREMIERE HC
X-MEN BATTLE OF THE ATOM HC
UNCANNY X-MEN (MARVEL NOW!) VOL 03 THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE INHUMAN PREMIERE HC
INDESTRUCTIBLE HULK VOL 4: HUMANITY BOMB PREMIERE HC
NEW AVENGERS (MARVEL NOW!) VOL 03 OTHER WORLDS PREMIERE HC
PRETTY DEADLY VOL 01 TP
AVENGERS WORLD VOL 01 AIMPIRE TP
SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN VOL 06 GOBLIN NATION TP

My 10 and Done Rule was a resounding success this week.

Nothing but the best.

But now how and when do I read the Original Sin tie ins?

That Hulk/Iron Man looks good, but not better than the other books I got.

#FourthWorldProblems

10 books a week?

I was dropping close to a hundo every week and then not even getting through my books before the next Wednesday. Changes had to be made. I decided I'll just get 10 new books a week, the 10 best, the 10 I just HAVE to read immediately. Everything else I can get to/deal with later.

Here are this week's "Top" "Ten":

Superman #32
Saga #20
Trees #2
Batman Eternal #12
X-O Manowar #26
Avengers Undercover #6
New Avengers #20
Uncanny Avengers #21
Deadly Class #6
Batman #32

Bii

Was this a subtle way of saying you want the Batman & Son trade?
Asking because I'm actually in the exact same boat as Tyrant Rave, (though for different reasons: I bought the trade first, then decided I wanted to buy the OHC) so I've got a redundant copy of Batman & Son.
If you want it, it's all yours. If you haven't read it yet, you'll be in for a treat.

I was actually curious of what became of the extra trade because I was thinking of offloading it here. I also have a few floppies that I have duplicates of because I wasn't paying attention to what I had read. :/

Thank you for the offer but I still have a backlog of mine to get through. :) Maybe if it's still available in a few weeks/months, I'll send you a message.

Here are this week's "Top" "Ten":
X-O Manowar #26

How is X-O Manowar? The only thing I know about it was that it had a video game from a preview I saw in an old EGM issue I had way back when.

How is X-O Manowar? The only thing I know about it was that it had a video game from a preview I saw in an old EGM issue I had way back when.

Outside of Shadowman, there are no Valiant titles that aren't Day 1 Must Buys.

Don't let Dynamite fool you with their wannabe trade dress, though. Magnus Robot Fighter is the only good book in their Key Relaunch. (Keylaunch?)

Just topped my record for biggest online order so far...looking forward to getting these next week :D

UNCANNY X-FORCE BY RICK REMENDER OMNIBUS HC
GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY / ALL-NEW X-MEN THE TRIAL OF JEAN GREY PREMIERE HC
UNCANNY X-MEN (MARVEL NOW!) VOL 02 BROKEN PREMIERE HC
X-MEN BATTLE OF THE ATOM HC
UNCANNY X-MEN (MARVEL NOW!) VOL 03 THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE INHUMAN PREMIERE HC
INDESTRUCTIBLE HULK VOL 4: HUMANITY BOMB PREMIERE HC
NEW AVENGERS (MARVEL NOW!) VOL 03 OTHER WORLDS PREMIERE HC
PRETTY DEADLY VOL 01 TP
AVENGERS WORLD VOL 01 AIMPIRE TP
SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN VOL 06 GOBLIN NATION TP

Good Lord, man. How is the postman supposed to lift that?

Its puddin!

HARLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY!!!!!!

ElNarez

Banned
Okay I'll be the bad guy and say it man Uncanny Avengers was shit. The worst character ever does a shitty fucking Captain Planet impersonation, Horseman Sentry just does a thing for no goddamn reason, and to cap it all off have some more asspulls and dei all ex in that machina. You should drop it, especially when you know Remender can do good because you've just read Deadly Class.

Okay I'll be the bad guy and say it man Uncanny Avengers was shit. The worst character ever does a shitty fucking Captain Planet impersonation, Horseman Sentry just does a thing for no goddamn reason, and to cap it all off have some more asspulls and dei all ex in that machina. You should drop it, especially when you know Remender can do good because you've just read Deadly Class.

I'll check it out at the shop, but you may have saved me $3.99!

tim1138

Superman was interesting enough that I'm on board for the first arc to see where they're going with it. JRJR's art was well, JRJR, some panels and pages were a treat for the eyes and others I just kind of shake my head at. But that's been my experience with his art since his days on Uncanny X-Men back in the early to mid 90s, so I wasn't really expecting anything to change now.

lol so much no

New Avengers.

Hearbreaker, man.

Damn! Got the Tony Moore variant of Batman to get signed in September.

Bq_Nb6kCEAE8b5x.jpg

Nice.. I just called my other LCS to see if they got one... annnnnd they do:)) At first he told me it came in damaged and they weren't selling it.. but he was mistaken.
EDIT: FYI. He's gonna charge for an autograph.. I think it was only $5 at C2E2

All I'm saying is, it's a good thing Hulk Vs. Iron Man exists or else this would be the shittiest comic I bought this week. Also, fuck Hulk Vs. Iron Man, and fuck Waid and his shitty fucking Hulk run.

Iunno, man. I though UA was just phenomenal.

Incredible Rogue moment, everybody wins but NEWP, ha ha, you all actually lost.

Dat Based Remender

Bii

Outside of Shadowman, there are no Valiant titles that aren't Day 1 Must Buys.

Don't let Dynamite fool you with their wannabe trade dress, though. Magnus Robot Fighter is the only good book in their Key Relaunch. (Keylaunch?)

I just looked through Valiant's list of books and nearly every single one of them look similar to one another. :/

Its puddin!

Wow, I like it. I haven't been actively seeking comic-related statues but damn, I might break and start soon.

On another note, my LCS hardly gets any variants. Or rather, they don't have them available for most people. :( I usually resort to buying them online from Midtown Comics.

I just looked through Valiant's list of books and nearly every single one of them look similar to one another. :/

Iunno bout that:
Archer & Armstrong - Basically Pak/Van Lente's Incredible Hulk/Hercules Reborn
X-O - Sci fi meets like Highlander I guess
Bloodshot - Terminator meets the Punisher
Harbinger - X-Men basically
Quantum & Woody - Damage Control meets What Th --?! meets Die Hard With A Vengeance
Rai - DC 1,000,000 basically
Unity/Armor Hunters - Everybody hang out and fight stuff

Which ones are the same here?

Bii

Iunno bout that:
Archer & Armstrong - Basically Pak/Van Lente's Incredible Hulk/Hercules Reborn
X-O - Sci fi meets like Highlander I guess
Bloodshot - Terminator meets the Punisher
Harbinger - X-Men basically
Quantum & Woody - Damage Control meets What Th --?! meets Die Hard With A Vengeance
Rai - DC 1,000,000 basically
Unity/Armor Hunters - Everybody hang out and fight stuff

Which ones are the same here?

Sorry, I should have clarified. It's the art style.

Edit: I was thumbing through Valiant's FCBD previews issue. So maybe what was sampled in it wasn't a fair representation?

Sorry, I should have clarified. It's the art style.

Edit: I was thumbing through Valiant's FCBD previews issue. So maybe what was sampled in it wasn't a fair representation?

Well, okay, let's talk about the art.

Admittedly, they just don't have the scratch to really deliver the big guns.

This usually hurts Bloodshot the most. Or it did, until Trevor Hairsine takes over with the first Armor Hunters issue.

Harbinger vacillates between a decent artist that I'm just not crazy about (Evans) to a simple superstar (Clayton Henry).

The guy currently on Archer is similar to Henry, which I love, but does make the book look similar.

Rai and Quantum look completely unlike any other book probably anywhere.

X-O also has a lot of fluctuation, haven't seen who's on the latest issue, but it probably leans closer to a grittier Bloodshot style.

They definitely don't venture too far afield from a core style by and large, I'll definitely give you that.

Bii

Well, okay, let's talk about the art.

Thank you for this post. I usually don't stray too far from other publishing houses that is not named Marvel, DC or Image. So I was looking into Valiant. Dark Horse and IDW to see what they have going on.

It's a dangerous hobby, my friend.

I remember going to San Diego Comic-Con for the first time back in 2011 and noticed this huge booth there with all of these amazing sculpts, statues and memorabilia. It was Sideshow Collectibles. They had an amazing looking Cyclops in his blue/yellow suit and a rockin' Iron Man (forget which armor it was, maybe Mark VI?) and I had wanted to buy one and take it home with me. I asked the people around me how much it was and as soon as the muttered the price range, my heart sank. I barely mustered enough money to attend SDCC and there was just no way I could afford even one statue without making other compromises.

But that was three years ago and my disposable income right now is significantly larger, so.... *must resist* o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom