• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the Dynamite bundle, I can vouch for Pathfinder, Kevin Smith's Green Hornet and Red Sonja being very good.

I am a maybe on this bundle. All I really want that I haven't read so far is the Wild Cards comics since I love those books and even have the Mutants & Masterminds book for the setting. I suppose I could just give all the money to charity. I think I will wait until the second week to decide.

How can COPRA be so good and All-New Ultimates be so bad? I really hope Michel Fiffe gets another shot in the big leagues after this...

my beef with that book was entirely the art. In an interview Fiffe said it was his first time working with another artist.

However, Giannis Milogiannis, aka a dude who's in my Fav Five artists at the moment, is coming on for like two issues. Unless they mismatch the colorist (see: Marcus To on New Warriors, Ron Wimberly on She-Hulk) they should look good

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Especially after reading the impressions of Johns/JRJR's Superman, I'm really interested in reading it. I haven't read anything that JRJR has done art for, but I like what I've seen of it.
Hopefully it stays good and I'll pick up the trade when it comes out in two years.

Awesome, be sure to post your impressions when you're done. It's a pretty powerful series.

Will do!

ReAxion

my beef with that book was entirely the art. In an interview Fiffe said it was his first time working with another artist.

However, Giannis Milogiannis, aka a dude who's in my Fav Five artists at the moment, is coming on for like two issues. Unless they mismatch the colorist (see: Marcus To on New Warriors, Ron Wimberly on She-Hulk) they should look good

When are those Milogiannis issues again?

backwards baseball cap superman is the most jrjr thing in the world

also that hair on that new dude, goddamn

On the whole though Superman 32 is v. solid and good

my dude just has no fashion sense breh, and its been like that for 30+ years

jj8drqDuYJu1x.jpg

good issue tho

I've been busy reading lots of things on Marvel Unlimited lately. Those GotG trailers made me want. I read Annihilation, Conquest, War of Kings, War of Realms, Thanos Imperative etc. Then went back and read what there is on MU of Infinity Gauntlet, and right now read through/got caught up on Avengers/New Avengers/GotG/Nova/Infinity cross over. I've only created an addiction to cosmic marvel and I want more.

So now I have some questions and am looking for more suggestions.

When the hell did Peter Quill and Thanos come back from the cancerverse? Are there arcs to read that I didn't know to look for? What happened to Richard Rider? Will we ever hear from the Worldmind again?

Where do I read about Peter Quill being Star-Lord? The way characters kept talking about it made me feel like there was something big I was missing, and I never really grasped what being called "Star-Lord" means.

Is there any inhuman stuff worth reading? The fact that Matt Fraction is writing new Inhumanity immediately piques my interest. It seems like they have a lot of potential for cool stories if handled well.

Surely there's some Thanos stuff I've missed. He's such a fun character, he must have been used in something between Infinity Gauntlet and Annihilation.

I'm also feeling I should start getting into Fantastic Four. Given what I've read already, what should I start with? Where should I go from there?

Same goes for Doctor Strange. Never read any comics, but I've always been interested in the character. What are some good arcs that MU might have?

Really, any Cosmic Marvel suggestions are welcome though

-The Cancerverse/Nova stuff is supposedly going to finally be explained in the new GOTG #18 issue. I'm way behind though so don't know if there has been anything else discussed prior. We also don't know if it will set something up to bring Rider back or just explain why he can't ever come back.

-I really liked Silent War, that was actually my first major introduction to the rest of the Inhumans outside of Black Bolt. You should probably read House of M and Son of M first as Quicksilver plays a major role.

-Hickman's run on Fantastic Four is amazing. Read it.

-Is the Abnett/Lanning GOTG run up on MU? Definitely read that if not, there's a re-print coming next month in paperback.

I read a lot of House of M a long time ago, and never read Son of M. So those two and Silent War sounds like a great place for me to jump into, thanks.

Should I start with issue #570 for FF? MU can be a pain to navigate sometimes, but it looks like thats where his run starts? Will I need to know anything before jumping in?

Abnett/Lanning GOTG is indeed on MU, along with most of the other cosmic stuff between Annhiliation and Thanos imperative. There are holes of course throughout, things that Marvel doesn't have available yet and whatnot.

Thanks for the suggestions

EDIT: Oh yeah, and thanks for the update on newer GotG/Nova/Cancerverse stuff. I really enjoyed those storylines, so I'll have to keep up with the newer GotG stuff past what MU has. I've been really enjoying New Avengers too, so sooner or later these mainline marvel stories are going to have to join my list of monthlies that I buy. Original Sin sounds like it might be full of cool too. Why does marvel have to have $3.99 issues? Comics are a big enough money pit as it is

Messi

Rat Queens preview up on their Facebook page. Note says the issue has been delayed for "A few weeks". What is happening with Rat Queens? Goes to every 6 weeks and now a delay a week before shipping. :(. Really enjoying the book but the schedule change and now this delay is killing my hype and momentum.

fauxtrot

Banned
Does anyone know if there's a place where I can read up on the payment practices for Marvel, DC, Image, etc? After reading about the new changes coming to DC, I'm curious to see if my digital buying habits are not fully beneficial to some of my favorite books/creators...

woodypop

I got around to putting some stuff up in the hallway and gameroom. Crappy phone pix incoming...

19F77922-FDE3-4B04-9CDE-24EFF1ACB657_zpsckhx6kqs.jpg

Psylocke by Josh Middleton (signed). Bought it from him at ECCC a couple years back.

D77D3ECA-2D46-40DE-AEBE-2FFEB000CD0F_zpsbdxk1ev5.jpg

AC97941C-EC24-4B5D-9066-5BAB1BDE47D0_zpsgk1jbpyf.jpg

Justice League/Justice League International by Kevin Maguire, of course (both signed). Got them from him at this year's ECCC. It was so good to meet him, as I was a big fan of his during the late 80s.

5E5D6AF7-574D-49B0-8416-3D72C84CE674_zpsjsqubozq.jpg

Cheap poster from Target, but I like it. =)

31280FA2-CE08-4735-A94E-B502C436D0FF_zpseozapeic.jpg

Miracleman store promo poster. It's folded, but it was free (and quite large).

Rat Queens 7 is now July 16th and 8 is a month later.

FML

Delays suck, especially at the beginning of a new arc. But I'd rather get a good issue a little late than a rushed mediocre one I suppose.

Picked up Superman today since Johns and JRJR are on it. I'm not much of a Superman guy, but I'm willing to give this a shot and I want to pick up more DC ongoings so it works out for me. My shop was charging like $25 for that variant though, I ended up getting the Bombshell cover.

^Awesome posters/prints!

Jeez Batman 32 was awesome as usual but I think I liked this weeks Eternal just a tad more. So many of the moving parts were acting as one. Tynion delivered an engaging script and Mikel Janin killed it on the art. Love, love the story in this one.

While we're posting pics, I just moved into my new place and the first order of business was setting up the comics wall:

Nice setup. What's that book on the smaller shelf - black spine with two white X's on it? Also, why do you have two copies of The Sky?

C-Jo

Nice setup. What's that book on the smaller shelf - black spine with two white X's on it? Also, why do you have two copies of The Sky?

The XX book is some Dir en grey tour photo documentary/scrap book kind of thing.

As for The Sky, one is the autographed 1st press that I should probably sell, and one is the cheaper reprint that I actually opened.

Justice League was another good book. That conversation between Bruce and Lex was so good. I don't know
The Doom Patrol
so that was not a big moment for me.

Justice League is going so great, Captain Cold getting a bigger role, Shazam bringing great comic relief and the Lex/Bruce dynamic is heating up.

Thinking about dropping Uncanny Avengers tho.

Justice League is going so great, Captain Cold getting a bigger role, Shazam bringing great comic relief and the Lex/Bruce dynamic is heating up.

Thinking about dropping Uncanny Avengers tho.

I'm dropping it and going to trade wait it. With so many characters and moving parts, it will read better in one sitting. This was my first arc going month to month and wasn't as enjoyable as reading Uncanny X-Force omnibus then volume 1,2,3 of UA.

kd-z

oh my god, did anyone else see Big Damn Sin City at their comic shop? You could kill someone with it in a single blow. o_O

Can't wait to get mine.

I find it kind of fitting.

Aww, :(
I know it's old but I am re reading JL8
I think the one with Bruce and Clark playing Spider-Man is my favourite. Such a great comic, it's baffling that DC seems reluctant to make it official/give Yale some work.

31280FA2-CE08-4735-A94E-B502C436D0FF_zpseozapeic.jpg

Miracleman store promo poster. It's folded, but it was free (and quite large).

Wow, that's a beautiful poster! I love the colors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom