• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostmind

Amazing Spider-Man #3 was really really really dumb.

Slott trying to force a square peg through a round hole, no matter how contrived it may be.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

Slott trying to force a square peg through a round hole, no matter how contrived it may be.

Peter
pretending to be Ock again and Black Cat's subsequent reaction to it
made no fucking sense whatsoever.

Ho-ly shit. Outcast is going to be my book of the month, can already tell. That.... was.... creepy. I almost didn't pick it up, the preview pages didn't do it for me. In the end, a 2.99, 60 page story won and I picked it up. Kirkman has another winner here. Go buy this book!

So what do I read next?

Batman: Black Mirror
X-Men: The Dark Phoenix Saga
Astonishing X-Men
Green Lantern: Secret Origin

I read GLSO shortly after it came out way back when but hardly remember it. Also read the first two or so issues of Astonishing at release but don't remember it at all.

Vyer

I read about the
"the League is the frog crossing the river, you're the scorpion hitching a ride, and I'm the big bad BAT that's going to destroy you"
scene on a message board. I actually won't make it to the shop until tomorrow, but I'm not buying Justice League in any case; it's just that my obsession coupled with that revelation in FE has led to me paying waaaay more attention to Johns JL than is healthy.

...I could see a version of Bruce saying that too, and it happens to be the version of Bruce that Johns tends to write.

Not really sure what the big deal is.

....but I could have totally called your answer to Tim's question. ;p

Messi

Ho-ly shit. Outcast is going to be my book of the month, can already tell. That.... was.... creepy. I almost didn't pick it up, the preview pages didn't do it for me. In the end, a 2.99, 60 page story won and I picked it up. Kirkman has another winner here. Go buy this book!

Too many books in the pull right now to be adding a new series to it, I'll probably pick it up in trade if the quality mentains. Glad you liked it though.

Sent in my pics for June book of the month.

Notable omissions.

Batman 32
Superman 32
Green Arrow 32
Wonder Woman 32
Deadly Class 6
Infinity Man and the Forever People 1.
Batman and Ras 32

Please vote everyone.

Cheska

So I have to be honest, I have very little exposure to Romita's art, but I enjoyed Superman 32 for what it was, and I think I'll be sticking with it for some more issues.

SoilBreak

Banned
What's the Doc Strange book you guys are talkin' about?

New Avengers Annual that came out today. His artwork in this issue is amazing.
3904605-newavnann2014001_int2-3.jpg

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
New Avengers Annual that came out today. His artwork in this issue is amazing.

Hell yeah--Rudy's work on Marvel Knights: Spider-Man was incredible. It's a hell of a little story by him and Matt Kindt, and seriously, more people need to check it out.

I'm going to grab that Annual when I go grab my books tomorrow--thanks for the heads up! Is it a standalone story?

SoilBreak

Banned
Hell yeah--Rudy's work on Marvel Knights: Spider-Man was incredible. It's a hell of a little story by him and Matt Kindt, and seriously, more people need to check it out.

I'm going to grab that Annual when I go grab my books tomorrow--thanks for the heads up! Is it a standalone story?

It's pretty much a stand-alone story thats ties in the current status of strange in the main new avengers book so give it go!

Aquaman is just a title that delivers a fun story every month. Jeff Parker has got it! It seems like the art just keeps on getting better and better. Really nice colors this issue.

MartyStu

So Batman Eternal does not seem to be consistently good, but I am not sure if that matters.

The week-to-week pace makes it worth checking into.

Cheska

By the way, if anyone in here missed out on the 1st edition Black and White Harley and still wants one, you guys can have my BBTS pre-order.

Bii

So enjoying every issue of Ms Marvel that comes out, but I'm wondering how its doing sales wise. Is it doing well?

According to comichron.com:

February: 50,286
March: 6,963
April: 5,374
May: 2,847

March: 38,357
April: 3,440

April: 37,140

May: 34,839

I think it's doing very well. :)

-

Ms. Marvel #4

14519689883_b21eba5be8_o.jpg

By now, I thought it might've lost some steam but Ms. Marvel is still going strong. It's one of the few $2.99 Marvel titles that I'm still pulling and man, does it deliver! I think what makes this book so interesting is that Kamala Kahn is still learning about how her powers and she's still figuring out how far she can go. What makes it fun is that she's still a dork at heart and expresses it as such through references such as the one panel below. I just picked up #5 from my LCS so I'll be reading that soon.

14312925690_9b9e528a3c_o.jpg
14498274894_040d696d78_o.jpg

I think it's doing very well. :)

Those are really good numbers. Most books lose about half their sales going from issue #1 to #2.

Edit: In other interesting news, Frank Miller's Big Damn Sin City shot straight to #4 bestseller on IST. And they shipped my copy today, so yay for that.

Damn, Red Lanterns delivered a gut-wrenching story. This is such a great book. I wished more people besides GH and I read it.

I used to read it but I culled it from my too-big pull list. Can't read everything. I'll definitely pick up the trade, though. Spoil me, what happened?

woodypop

Marvel, Please put Marco Rudy on a doctor strange ongoing .
But is the Annual a good read? I flipped thru it at the shop, but put it back on the rack because I don't like inconsequential annuals. (I feel Uncanny Avengers Annual was fluff, and I love that series.)

I used to read it but I culled it from my too-big pull list. Can't read everything. I'll definitely pick up the trade, though. Spoil me, what happened?

Just to make it brief, on phone in bed. Atrocious has declared war on the Lanterns. He has destroyed their home planet, drained the lake of blood, and turned Rankoor against them. In the process of fighting Rankoor, Bleez falls to critical condition. Guy knows they have to battle him. Feeling guilty that Kara (Supergirl) is new to the team and has no stock in this fight, ask her to go her own way. She reluctantly accepts and his on her way to meet Hal to learn about getting the Red ring off. The moral of the team is at all-time low.

Ms marvel continues to be awesome. really charming book.

ncanny Avengres was ok,felt a bit rished to get to the end.

Capullo has been killing it on zero year. man should win an eisner

SoilBreak

Banned
But is the Annual a good read? I flipped thru it at the shop, but put it back on the rack because I don't like inconsequential annuals. (I feel Uncanny Avengers Annual was fluff, and I love that series.)

It is a good read and ending result is quite imporant for strange in new avengers.

Another Winner? Kirkman did TWD and it got really really bad halfway trough.

And Outcast sounds like Hellblazer.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo

I didn't like the comic either. If it wasn't spidey, I'd consider dropping it.

IrishNinja

really bums me out hearing so much negativity on the new AMS, i kinda fell off after spock's run closed out myself but was hoping Slott kept the magic going.

how's the new Morales book? a good jump-on point for the character?

really bums me out hearing so much negativity on the new AMS, i kinda fell off after spock's run closed out myself but was hoping Slott kept the magic going.

how's the new Morales book? a good jump-on point for the character?

Only heard good things about the Morales Book.

I haven bought ASM yet. But even if its bad i will continue to read it until issue 6 before i decide to give it up.

I only read one new issue today and it was ASM.

I'm starting to only be interested in these teases of
Silk

Ezekiel!

I am not really liking the new direction with Peter, his character seems hollow. His casual nature of facing problems is pretty flat so far. His indifference about his relationships is the most infuriating they have ever been.

These first three issues don't inspire a lot confidence in this series so far.

Also, I am kind of comparing it to the first three issues of "Superior" which was able to establish itself incredibly well.

Bravest Warriors was delightful
New Warriors was so good again this month. Once the series got past the introductions and whatnot, it's really found its groove. This is such a fun book.
I agree. David Baldeon drew a few pages apparently and i didn't even notice! I hated his work on the last issues of Scarlet Spider. Either he got a bad colorist last time or a really good one this time (could be the latter, they should keep Redmond bc she's good)

Messi

It's ok, Saga was fantastic!

I only got to flip open the first page so far but that was incredible as awesome. Saga has the best opening pages sometimes. I giggled like last month.

Sent in my pics for June book of the month.

Notable omissions.

Batman 32
Superman 32
Green Arrow 32
Wonder Woman 32
Deadly Class 6
Infinity Man and the Forever People 1.
Batman and Ras 32

Please vote everyone.

Some big hitters missing the top 3 it seems. Great month for comics, gotta make room for Harley and Saga I suppose. :D

By the way, if anyone in here missed out on the 1st edition Black and White Harley and still wants one, you guys can have my BBTS pre-order.

This is incredibly nice of you considering the people on eBay who are scalping twice the price for it. It's what makes this place so cool sometimes.

--

Can anyone give me advice on where to start to get into red lanterns. I've never read a lantern book before. Also is Supergirl worth picking up again?

tim1138

So what do I read next?

Batman: Black Mirror
X-Men: The Dark Phoenix Saga
Astonishing X-Men
Green Lantern: Secret Origin

I read GLSO shortly after it came out way back when but hardly remember it. Also read the first two or so issues of Astonishing at release but don't remember it at all.

Since no one else responded, read Dark Phoenix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom