• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Fuck New York Comic Con's website. How'd you do Zombine?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
That one panel of Moon Knight kicking in the door to bust in on that creepy sleep-rapist is fucking brilliant.

The page with the skull is so good I kinda want it tattooed on me. But I still felt screwed by the story or lack thereof.

So last months Batman really set the bar high, it was exciting, heart-racing and just overall a work of art. Which is probably why I can't help but feel Batman #32 was more or less a let down. Sure, it was pretty to look at, but it didn't quite keep the pace for me this time :(

Funny, I think I liked to issue better than the last, I couldn't really see what everyone was so hyped about last time.

Everyone ready for Riddler's eight page monologue next issue though? That Snyder sure does like typing!

Bii

From Kotobukiya's Facebook page:

Kotobukiya said:
We are pleased to offer a very limited quantity of both the Classic X-Men Era Psylocke Bishoujo statue and the First Appearance Batman by Bob Kane ARTFX+ statue to our fans not attending this year’s San Diego Comic-Con. Pre-orders will open up at 10AM on Friday, June 27th PST at store.kotous.com.

Please note the following:

Online pre-orders cannot be picked up during the convention.

Payment must be made in full at the time the pre-order is placed. Prices before shipping and any applicable taxes are as follows:

First Appearance Batman by Bob Kane ARTFX+ statue - 39.99
Classic X-Men Era Psylocke Bishoujo statue - 64.99

Orders will begin to ship out the week of August 4th.

This opportunity will conclude without notice once the allocated inventory for non-attendees is sold out so don’t forget to place your order this Friday!

That's approximately 20 minutes from the time of this post. Good for those that are not attending SDCC.

Boogiepop

Man, I've been reading the Wolverine and the Xmen Omnibus, and I'm just about to the end of the AvX stuff. It's been fun, but man, screw AvX for throwing off the run. It starts off absolutely amazing, with that awesome opening and great Brood/space gambling stuff. Just a story that's having a lot of fun. And then AvX just has to come along and sidetrack the run and inject a whole ton of unneeded seriousness. It's still a good read, but it's really not where the story should've been heading.

Seriously, screw giant crossover events.

arkon

Man, I've been reading the Wolverine and the Xmen Omnibus, and I'm just about to the end of the AvX stuff. It's been fun, but man, screw AvX for throwing off the run. It starts off absolutely amazing, with that awesome opening and great Brood/space gambling stuff. Just a story that's having a lot of fun. And then AvX just has to come along and sidetrack the run and inject a whole ton of unneeded seriousness. It's still a good read, but it's really not where the story should've been heading.

Seriously, screw giant crossover events.

I don't think it really recovers. Those initial issues before the AvX stuff are probably my favourite of the run, besides maybe that Doop one-shot in #17(?). Didn't enjoy the rest of it all that much and in fact still haven't read the final 5-6 issues of the run. It's also the reason I didn't go for the omnibus.

Owzers

I don't think it really recovers. Those initial issues before the AvX stuff are probably my favourite of the run, besides maybe that Doop one-shot in #17(?). Didn't enjoy the rest of it all that much and in fact still haven't read the final 5-6 issues of the run. It's also the reason I didn't go for the omnibus.

The last two arcs were good, issue 17 was great, but the series did go from my favorite Marvel book to something i was going to drop but continued anyways.

The last two arcs were good, issue 17 was great, but the series did go from my favorite Marvel book to something i was going to drop but continued anyways.

Really digging Robert Venditti and Van Jensens Flash run. It has great characterization and an intriguing plot so far. Brett Booths art has been solid. Loved the bonding between Barry and Wally and the love letter to the game of Baseball.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
The page with the skull is so good I kinda want it tattooed on me. But I still felt screwed by the story or lack thereof.

Funny, I think I liked to issue better than the last, I couldn't really see what everyone was so hyped about last time.

Everyone ready for Riddler's eight page monologue next issue though? That Snyder sure does like typing!

The story was threadbare as all hell man. mold + dreams + pretty colours = THERES A MAN UNDER FLOOR!! KBYE!

Edit: the ghosts one was more egregious though. THERE ARE GHOSTS. OH SOME STAIRS. THEY WERE DEAD.
I think the stories are really enjoyable for me because they're just these snapshots of psychotic crimes/occurrences that Moon Knight has to deal with prowling the weird alleys and blocks of NY. The stories are incredibly simple, and each has been a one-and-done, but the draw is that you have a mentally unstable character dealing with these absolutely batshit scenarios, but it's all played very straight. It's not a joke, there's no fourth wall breaking, it's just: Yeah, a resurrected, broken-brained dude puts on Egyptian ghostbusting armor in order to punch shit out of asshole punk ghosts. And these punk ghosts, they died very sadly.

There's a detached feeling to the whole thing, and it's viciously violent, and there aren't really 'real' characters in the sense that you can grow attached to them and you gain an affinity for them, but there are just these great little stories about how a crazy man handles crazy situations in New York, at night.

Also, like in Planetary, a lot of the story comes through in the art, with a minimal amount of writing spelling anything of importance out. It makes for a quick read, definitely, but the stories leave impressions on you--good or bad. They're definitely not going to leave your ass indifferent.

Get in NYCC ticket queue thing online 10 minutes after tickets go on sale (yeah this is my fault) finally get through, so sorry 3 day passes are sold out.......please understand.

Paying 85% of the 3 day pass to JUST go on Saturday isn't worth it. Skipping the con this year.

frye

Yeah, the new Flash Gordon is good. I only read the first one though.

There's previous series called Kings Watch, which is a 5-issue team-up/reintroduction of Flash, Mandrake the Magician, and the Phantom which is worth reading too.

tim1138

There's previous series called Kings Watch, which is a 5-issue team-up/reintroduction of Flash, Mandrake the Magician, and the Phantom which is worth reading too.

That sounds awesome. Think I'm gonna check that out.

Read all 14 of my books.

Best Marvel book of the week - Ms. Marvel

Top 5 DC books of the week

1. Superman
2. Batman Eternal
3. Justice League
4. Batman
5. The Flash
Red Lanterns and Sinestro close behind.

Top indie books

1. Outcast
2. Deadly Class
3. Saga

Filthy Slug

Get in NYCC ticket queue thing online 10 minutes after tickets go on sale (yeah this is my fault) finally get through, so sorry 3 day passes are sold out.......please understand.

Paying 85% of the 3 day pass to JUST go on Saturday isn't worth it. Skipping the con this year.

It took me 20 minutes of refreshing and navigating their broken ass systems via 6 tabs to pick up my tickets. Shit was a nightmare, and half the time it said "Sold Out", but that was bullshit.

Vibranium

Banned
Shit got real in Invincible this week, Kirkman seems to be pulling out all the stops. I'm going to keep saying that a Mark heel turn is going to happen (and done right it would be glorious). Man,
so many characters seemingly wiped out so far, Robot ain't coming back from this. I just hope Monster Girl gets a better costume if she lives because her current one is really dumb, get Ryan to design a new one.

woodypop

Thx, will check it out! (Big fan of New Adventures of Flash Gordon animated series.)

All that Spider-Man talk reminded me that it seems Toa TAK doesn't really post in here anymore. He was the SUPERIOR Spider-Man poster in this thread. Wonder what he's making of ASM. Haha
lotta people just up and disappear! Maybe if i post Ramos pages...
1c5c9f97793d01c1d3d64090c163d6b9_large.jpg

although this page is good. Like most Ramos pages, of course

I don't really think that 'important' always equals 'good' though - or more specifically, 'good' as seen through the lens of modern audiences. Take Kirby for instance - incredible imagination and design sense, not really the greatest writer in the world though and the stories are interesting for reasons other than plot/character/drama. Same if you look at the Death of Gwen Stacey - incredibly important story and was great for the 70s but it doesn't hold up next to the best comic book made in 2014 at all.

Personally I have reverence and respect for the building blocks of the artform, but I don't find them vital and exciting pieces of entertainment in and of themselves.

In many ways this is a big part of how Marvel differs from DC. Marvel have these events from their deep past (older than me!) that are still in continuity and continually referred to without being rehashed or retold very often, whereas DC is quite fond of retelling an origin or a big event with new spins. I don't think either approach is perfect tbh.

That said, I've never read the DPS outside of the iconic panels and recaps that I've come across in my life, so I could be entirely wrong and it could be Alan Moore-level defying-conventional-wisdom shit.

I never thought of the DC/Marvel approach to continuity in this way, but you're absolutely right. However, I recommend that everyone go back and read the Essential Fantastic Four and Amazing Spider-Man trades. Those early issues are just brimming with creativity and energy.

Also, after seeing people post their setups I wish I had taken pictures of my old bachelor pad. I had 4 full-size bookcases full of trades, as that was how I read comics for almost 10 years. I got rid of 75% of the stuff when I moved in with my girlfriend last year because it was mostly crap anyways. Still kept my omnibuses, absolutes, and good stuff though. I haven't had time to really organize them into anything that would make anyone jealous, but I do have a lot of them!

And framing prints is the only thing my girlfriend and I compromised on when it came to putting up art. I have Batman watching over my records and Captain America judging me when I pee.

It took me 20 minutes of refreshing and navigating their broken ass systems via 6 tabs to pick up my tickets. Shit was a nightmare, and half the time it said "Sold Out", but that was bullshit.

Jealous you actually got them. I broke down and bought a single day pass for Thursday. Hopefully it'll be less crowded on a Thursday, 2012 was INSANE.

Even with how PACKED it was in 2012 you could still buy 3 day passes days after they went on sale. Was it this bad last year to get 3 day passes?

I called up a few of the comic shops that are going to be selling the tickets and they all said they're not getting any of the 3 day passes.

*edit* I think what annoys me most about it, is come September there are going to be HUNDREDS if not THOUSANDS of 3 Day passes on ebay.

Same shit happened to me. I'm fucking pissed. What kind of broken-ass system was that?

Bii

That doesn't sound as bad as getting SDCC tickets, haha.

Li Kao

Beats me, that's why I asked.

No clue as I haven't read it, and I see frye already posted a more useful answer. But if there is one guy that doesn't worry me when writing pulpy stuff it's Parker.
In fact he is awfully close to being one of the writers that will make me insta-buy a comic book. I'm even thinking about trying Angry Birds because of him :-S

Lol hearing you guys talk about the NYCC passes reminds me of the pain of trying to get SDCC passes. One of times I went, I was still in high school and my friend had to cut school for the day so he could sit there refreshing for tickets with his dad. It's insane how poor these systems are, they need to work out a better method because it screws over a lot of people who would love to go.

Even better when you walk out of the convention to grab lunch and there's hordes of people with wads of cash begging for your passes.

Filthy Slug

Jealous you actually got them. I broke down and bought a single day pass for Thursday. Hopefully it'll be less crowded on a Thursday, 2012 was INSANE.

Even with how PACKED it was in 2012 you could still buy 3 day passes days after they went on sale. Was it this bad last year to get 3 day passes?

I called up a few of the comic shops that are going to be selling the tickets and they all said they're not getting any of the 3 day passes.

*edit* I think what annoys me most about it, is come September there are going to be HUNDREDS if not THOUSANDS of 3 Day passes on ebay.

I didn't get 3-days last year, just Friday. 2013 was totally manageable in terms of crowd density, especially around Artist Alley. I hope it's similar this year.

Wait, so no retailers are going to be selling 3-days? Not even Midtown? That's rough, if true.

Vibranium

Banned
NYCC PRICES ARE CRAZY for single days .

I will make my NYCC debut another time I guess...(though booking a trip to New York from West Coast Canada was not even on the table for me this year). When I do though I'm gonna have a conversation with Axel about pricing and the problems with inconsistencies between different writers and artists on titles. And I'll also promote Rafa for the Next Young Gun.

Filthy Slug

That doesn't sound as bad as getting SDCC tickets, haha.

Nah, it wasn't as bad as certain Mondo drops, man--haha. Also, I knew full well that 'Sold Out' ain't really sold out.

Damn, NYCC passes are even more expensive than SDCC passes, for Saturday ($5) and Sunday ($15) at least. sounds like a right pain in the ass!

getting SDCC this year was a hassle in that it was practically totally random. I pretty much only got lucky

Kind of on the topic, but has anyone ever had issues with the staff at these conventions?

I'm asking cause I remember one time a guard would not let my friend's brother and I back into the center despite both of us having legitimate badges. He let the other half of our group in but refused us and told us to leave. Of course, we went in through another entrance but I remember being very upset about it. Don't know how common it is.

Kind of on the topic, but has anyone ever had issues with the staff at these conventions?

I'm asking cause I remember one time a guard would not let my friend's brother and I back into the center despite both of us having legitimate badges. He let the other half of our group in but refused us and told us to leave. Of course, we went in through another entrance but I remember being very upset about it. Don't know how common it is.

I personally never had any big problems on the one day I went to SDCC, but I've heard nothing but bad things

What an asshole, what if you buy prints and posters? Expected to carry them the whole time? I went to my car 4 times in a day last year.

Bii

Damn, NYCC passes are even more expensive than SDCC passes, for Saturday ($5) and Sunday ($15) at least. sounds like a right pain in the ass!

getting SDCC this year was a hassle in that it was practically totally random. I pretty much only got lucky

I had the option of getting a 4-day pass to SDCC this year but only opted for two days because I wanted to do other things around San Diego. As the date nears, I probably should have gotten a Sunday ticket as well so I can buy all the discounted goodies.

I've never had any issues. Why didn't he let you guys in?

The only issue I had was 2012. We stepped out the main exit to get some fresh air and try to make a phone call. We went to step back in and the guard told us we had to get back in the end of the line (which still had at least a 100+ people in it) and this was at like 4 ish. So we said fuck it and just left.

What an asshole, what if you buy prints and posters? Expected to carry them the whole time? I went to my car 4 times in a day last year.
My friend who has a poster tube is invaluable in these situations
I had the option of getting a 4-day pass to SDCC this year but only opted for two days because I wanted to do other things around San Diego. As the date nears, I probably should have gotten a Sunday ticket as well so I can buy all the discounted goodies.
discounted goodies and smaller crowds* are the best part of Sunday cons

*except in San Diego
The only issue I had was 2012. We stepped out the main exit to get some fresh air and try to make a phone call. We went to step back in and the guard told us we had to get back in the end of the line (which still had at least a 100+ people in it) and this was at like 4 ish. So we said fuck it and just left.
wait, what the hell? 100+ people at 4? a line for re-entry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom