• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messi

New Suicide Squad preview. That Jeremy Roberts art! That Deathstroke, that Manta, that Harley! Still, you have to worry about story and dialog and team dynamic. Hard enough making a villain book interesting, but a team of them? Please be good!

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/06/26/new-suicide-squad-1-preview

The second cover image of Joker's Daughter is awful. She is a model now?. The rest seems fine. I hate that harley outfit every time they use it.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
New Suicide Squad preview. That Jeremy Roberts art! That Deathstroke, that Manta, that Harley! Still, you have to worry about story and dialog and team dynamic. Hard enough making a villain book interesting, but a team of them? Please be good!

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/06/26/new-suicide-squad-1-preview

Deathstroke's dialogue is horrid. I believe everybody can continue ignoring Suicide Squad.

As far as interesting villain books, it's not all that hard: Simone's Secret Six, Jeff Parker's Thunderbolts, Kot's 2(?) issues of Suicide Squad are relatively recent examples of villain books done right that I've read.

Cheska

I've never actually had any interest in a suicide squad based book. Though I suppose that is what Secret Six would basically be classified as, right? Maybe I just liked it because of Gail.

Messi

I've never actually had any interest in a suicide squad based book. Though I suppose that is what Secret Six would basically be classified as, right? Maybe I just liked it because of Gail.

That's not hard to believe. Gail is awesome.

I know, the dialog didn't seem very good. I'm gonna try it guys, it's Deathstroke. He got me into comics. I'll quit if it sucks consistently.

Deathstroke's dialogue is horrid. I believe everybody can continue ignoring Suicide Squad.

As far as interesting villain books, it's not all that hard: Simone's Secret Six, Jeff Parker's Thunderbolts, Kot's 2(?) issues of Suicide Squad are relatively recent examples of villain books done right that I've read.
Superior Foes is also excellent

I think Simone had a lot to do with it. I was reading Secret Six for the entire run, but I dropped Suicide Squad after a half-dozen issues or so.

Deathstroke fandom. New Teen Titans #2 First Appearance. Deathstoke The Terminator #1. Deathstroke n52 #1

BrGhxvWIUAArER0.jpg

he had 4 issues, i think.

I haven't read the whole run, but Ostrander Suicide Squad is GOAT, ain't it

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
All right, Tim. You asked to hear my impressions when I was done with Unknown Soldier. I'm only three issues in, but I have impressions now. I apologize for being impatient in my impression sharing. Haha

After reading the first three issues, gotta say "Wow."

Overall, I'm really liking it. It definitely pulls no punches and is pretty thrilling so far.

The highlight for me in these first three issues has most definitely been the amount of research that clearly went into writing this. There's so much depth in the Uganda setting and so much information shared about the situation in Uganda (Lord's Resistance Army taking child soldiers and all that terribly ugly business) in a very natural way. It's really fascinating and incredibly well done.

However, the fact that it's so grounded in reality and so well-done makes it pretty disappointing to me that the story falls back on the Punisher-esque antics of the Unknown Soldier. Obviously it has a little more depth to it than Punisher, but even still, it seems pretty shallow given the depth of the 3/4ths of the comic where Unknown Soldier isn't going nuts.
Now, the main reason for this concern is that the Unknown Soldier business
the fact that he has that evil/insane/violent voice in his head that takes him over
seems completely contrived. If the story gives a reason for it (and the fact that the rest of the comic is written so excellently makes me pretty confident it will be explained), the violence probably won't seem as cheap and garish as it does now.
And I totally get the fact that it's a commentary on the idea about the efficacy (or lack of) of opposing violence with peaceful methods, but something about it just seems so cheap, as if the writer felt that he needed to throw some action and violence in there to make it exciting.
Like I said though, I am only three issues in and I have faith that Dysart will give more depth/meaning to the violence, but those are just my thoughts so far.

All that to say though, overall I am definitely really enjoying it. It's been incredibly thrilling. I can't remember the last comic that pulled me into reading the next issue so well and kept me turning the pages. Even though I just wrote a lot about the violence, I will admit that the action stuff played a big part in making it thrilling. But yeah, it's some gripping reading, that's for sure.

And I'm pretty sure the fact that I was compelled to write all that after only reading the first three issues is a solid reason to recommend picking up at least the first trade for $5 on IST.
After seeing how much I just wrote, I'm pretty sure I went overboard for only having read three issues, but oh well. Haha. I'm fully prepared to take back any negative stuff I've written if--or more likely "when"--Dysart addresses those minor problems (and definitely not big enough problems to spoil my enjoyment all that much) in the coming issues.

Just started reading Arkham Asylum ASHOSE. The first quote from Alice in Wonderland. Cheshire Cat tells Alice "were all mad here."

I have the Cheshire Cat and that quote tattooed on my arm. Not inspired by this book though.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
he had 4 issues, i think.

I haven't read the whole run, but Ostrander Suicide Squad is GOAT, ain't it

I hear great things about Ostrander's run--I gotta get around to that one of these days.

Just started reading Arkham Asylum ASHOSE. The first quote from Alice in Wonderland. Cheshire Cat tells Alice "were all made here."

I have the Cheshire Cat and that quote tattooed on my arm. Not inspired by this book though.

After you finish it, if you enjoyed it, you should look into some of the interviews McKean and Morrison did on the book. Really interesting stuff about how Mckean thinks it's a failure of book that just doesn't work. Also, he refused to draw a lot of the ideas Morrison had, like Robin, entirely.

I hear great things about Ostrander's run--I gotta get around to that one of these days.
Gotta hit up that ebay for that one. They started collecting it, and then... stopped. I guess, to be fair, there's a LOT of stuff to collect, including several crossovers in addition to 66 issues of the main book. I'm putting together another cart full of issues on Mycomicshop at the moment as i type.

Cheska

Holy crap, now I'm reminded of why I don't venture outside of this thread too often. The OT section is just brutal sometimes, I had to step away from my computer because I literally had a "WTF" look on my face after reading a post.

Annnnyways, back to comics. Who wants Batman Vol 2 TPB or Ms. Marvel (Danvers) vol 1?

Holy crap, now I'm reminded of why I don't venture outside of this thread too often. The OT section is just brutal sometimes, I had to step away from my computer because I literally had a "WTF" look on my face after reading a post.

Annnnyways, back to comics. Who wants Batman Vol 2 TPB or Ms. Marvel (Danvers) vol 1?

Lol I know what you mean. I feel out of touch with gaming side sometimes and it's not like I don't play video games.

And I'd love Batman if you're doing a giveaway or something! I'm gonna dig out my copies of New Warriors this week and do a giveaway of the first six issues on Saturday for you guys.

Cheska

Lol I know what you mean. I feel out of touch with gaming side sometimes and it's not like I don't play video games.

And I'd love Batman if you're doing a giveaway or something! I'm gonna dig out my copies of New Warriors this week and do a giveaway of the first six issues on Saturday for you guys.

One Batman: City of Owls coming your way! Just PM me your address and I'll ship it out next week :D

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason

I'd love me some Carol Danvers/Ms Marvel.

Vibranium

Banned
I would recommend Outcast to more people, but ComicGAF is pretty Anti-Kirkman. The art is fantastic and reminds me of Aja a little bit. That was an incredibly strong first issue.

Actually there is a decent amount of us here who enjoy Kirkman's work (I dropped Walking Dead but love Invincible to bits). I forgot that his book was Outcast, I will read it pronto.

Bii

TAS Catwoman pls.

I'd definitely like to grab a few of the other B&W statues. Not an excessive number, though. I've seen some insane collections of those statues, and it's a bit weird seeing 40 Batmans and a peppering of other characters. XD

Also might get B&W Zombie Batman when he comes out.

I'd probably get Capullo, Murphy, and Allred. The upcoming Jae Lee statue is looking good too.

-

Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man #1

14513419652_22f5403c39_o.jpg

I'm not sure what I was expecting but I didn't really enjoy this. There's not a whole lot of original content here. Miles struggling to keep his identity a secret to someone he loves, Spider-Man hanging upside down face-to-face with MJ, and the last page with
Peter returning from the dead or possibly a clone?
wasn't that surprising. Also, what's up with his dad
abandoning him like that after telling him his secret?
. What a bummer. On a positive note, the facial expressions of people being punched/kicked in the face looks pretty darn cool. I hope it gets better because it's still on my pull list.

14513419552_d957d59d39_o.jpg
14327922429_74063c3fe8_o.jpg

If anyone wants to give this a read, I do have a Marvel digital code for this issue. First person to reply requesting it will get my PM. Also, does no one want Original Sin #4 Marvel digital code? That one hasn't been claimed yet. So last call, otherwise, I'll just store the floppy away.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I'd probably get Capullo, Murphy, and Allred. The upcoming Jae Lee statue is looking good too.

-

Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man #1

14513419652_22f5403c39_o.jpg

I'm not sure what I was expecting but I didn't really enjoy this. There's not a whole lot of original content here. Miles struggling to keep his identity a secret to someone he loves, Spider-Man hanging upside down face-to-face with MJ, and the last page with
Peter returning from the dead or possibly a clone?
wasn't that surprising. Also, what's up with his dad
abandoning him like that after telling him his secret?
. What a bummer. On a positive note, the facial expressions of people being punched/kicked in the face looks pretty darn cool. I hope it gets better because it's still on my pull list.

14513419552_d957d59d39_o.jpg
14327922429_74063c3fe8_o.jpg

If anyone wants to give this a read, I do have a Marvel digital code for this issue. First person to reply requesting it will get my PM. Also, does no one want Original Sin #4 Marvel digital code? That one hasn't been claimed yet. So last call, otherwise, I'll just store the floppy away.

Can I have booth?^^

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

After you finish it, if you enjoyed it, you should look into some of the interviews McKean and Morrison did on the book. Really interesting stuff about how Mckean thinks it's a failure of book that just doesn't work. Also, he refused to draw a lot of the ideas Morrison had, like Robin, entirely.

Yeah I've read this stuff too, and tbh it makes me dislike McKean, he doesn't sound like the world's best collaborator. I think Arkham Asylum is probably my least favourite Morrison book for that reason - it's interesting but it's so muddled and literally hard to read.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So I had borrowed a friend's copy of the latest Fantastic Four and just got around to reading it. Goddamn it sucks. No wonder there's rumors Marvel's going to shelve it for a while, how has this not been cancelled yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom