• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I may try to hit up SDCC next year. It really does sound like one of the circles of hell though.

What an asshole, what if you buy prints and posters? Expected to carry them the whole time? I went to my car 4 times in a day last year.
I dunno how it is at NYCC but at SDCC the swag bags they give out usually have holsters for posters. But yeah, carrying stuff around all day sucks. I bring a backpack so I carry everything easier.

I've never had any issues. Why didn't he let you guys in?
I dunno! He didn't think our badges were legitimate or whatever. It was just confusing since he let my friend in but not his younger brother.

samueeL

Banned
Got such great recommendations last time that I have to ask you guys again. I'm really enjoying new 52 Batman stories and wanted to check out best of pre-52 ones. Only "problem" is that I'm not too into "old" art yet, so I'll check out Knightfall for example later. I've watched animated Dark Knight Rises and Year One and liked those stories but will read them later on. For now I'm looking something from the last 10 years.

Already ordered Batman: The Black Mirror because of Snyder. Seems like Hush would be also worth buying? What are the must read Batman trades from the last 10 years?

tim1138

No clue as I haven't read it, and I see frye already posted a more useful answer. But if there is one guy that doesn't worry me when writing pulpy stuff it's Parker.
In fact he is awfully close to being one of the writers that will make me insta-buy a comic book. I'm even thinking about trying Angry Birds because of him :-S

The creative team is fantastic, but everyone has a dud now and then you know?

wait, what the hell? 100+ people at 4? a line for re-entry?

2012 was INSANE. I didn't go in 2013 so I don't know how it was. 2012 though, you could barely move on the show floor during the middle of the day on Saturday, even artist alley got moved out of the main show floor and some where else. There were so many people, that cell phones were basically useless in a small radius around the convention center. Couldn't get calls or text messages to go through.

Got such great recommendations last time that I have to ask you guys again. I'm really enjoying new 52 Batman stories and wanted to check out best of pre-52 ones. Only "problem" is that I'm not too into "old" art yet, so I'll check out Knightfall for example later. I've watched animated Dark Knight Rises and Year One and liked those stories but will read them later on. For now I'm looking something from the last 10 years.

Already ordered Batman: The Black Mirror because of Snyder. Seems like Hush would be also worth buying? What are the must read Batman trades from the last 10 years?
ehhhh Hush is sorta terrible if it isn't one of your first Batman stories. It's like a greatest hits version of villains and stories, but also it's just a weak mystery with a weak ending. Jim Lee's art is pretty good.

People love the Grant Morrison stuff, but i haven't read it. Black Mirror is a good get though.
2012 was INSANE. I didn't go in 2013 so I don't know how it was. 2012 though, you could barely move on the show floor during the middle of the day on Saturday, even artist alley got moved out of the main show floor and some where else. There were so many people, that cell phones were basically usually in a small radius around the convention center. Couldn't get calls or text messages to go through.
geez that sounds like a damn nightmare

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason

Get No Man's Land. You can either start with Cataclysm or go directly to the the new printed collections (which unlike the original trades, all the issues are included in each volume). This year-long crossover event (basically an Escape from New York scenario due a massive earthquake in the city) helped to push a new scenario for Batman family books into the 21st Century.

You can also check http://www.batmantrades.com/ for the whole reading order pre-52.

fertygo

Hush is more like recap story anyway, its great if you want back/get into the batbooks.. and if you think the actual Hush part is bad, thankfully Heart of Hush fix that.. and with the gorgeous Jim Lee's art, its very helpful for new reader.. I'm going through the same path just few month ago.

Hush is more like recap story anyway, its great if you want back/get into the batbooks.. and if you think the actual Hush part is bad, thankfully Heart of Hush fix that..

Totally agree with the first part.

Along with GL Rebirth, Hush got me back into DC solely on the strength of Jim Lee's Gotham City. I would read it and literally be like "Ok, I want to read stories in this place." looking at some of those spreads.

I'm gonna re-read Grant Morrison's Arkham Asylum tonight. No good reason, read it pretty early in my comic book fandom, see how it holds up a 2nd go round.

tim1138

I'm gonna re-read Grant Morrison's Arkham Asylum tonight. No good reason, read it pretty early in my comic book fandom, see how it holds up a 2nd go round.

Man I haven't read that in ages, might have to do a reread. I love the Maxie Zeus part, those pages look so cool.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Man I haven't read that in ages, might have to do a reread. I love the Maxie Zeus part, those pages look so cool.

Moving Two-Face from his coin to a die and then a deck of tarot cards is genius, and really psychologically interesting.

I actually recently re-read the entire Batman run Morrison did in the last three days. Burnham is such a g, man. There's a lot of craft on display, like the transitions from the battle to the dinner or the juxtapositions of (briefly) faceless narrator begins his monologue with a slaughtered cow illustrating his point about luck, or the playful integration of sound effects like the reverse CLANG! of the chainsaw on vest or the SPLONK in the blood

jBB22kSJ3bauA.jpg

jbumrTr2a9LOoF.jpg

or just the showy page layouts like incorporating the buildings or arranging the panels for the big action set piece like an Exclamation Point.

Makes me wish they discovered Burnham earlier so they could have did RIP together instead of Tony Daniel ol 90s image comics lookin' ass nigga

tim1138

I actually recently re-read the entire Batman run Morrison did in the last three days. Burnham is such a g, man. There's a lot of craft on display, like the transitions from the battle to the dinner or the juxtapositions of (briefly) faceless narrator begins his monologue with a slaughtered cow illustrating his point about luck, or the playful integration of sound effects like the reverse CLANG! of the chainsaw on vest or the SPLONK in the blood

or just the showy page layouts like incorporating the buildings or arranging the panels for the big action set piece like an Exclamation Point.

Makes me wish they discovered Burnham earlier so they could have did RIP together instead of Tony Daniel ol 90s image comics lookin' ass nigga

I love the panel from the first N52 issue of Inc when Bruce and Damian are talking and the Man-Bat drops the body in front of them. Their body language is just great in that sequence. Burnham is the best, no doubt about it.

frye

Burnham elevates Morrison's Batman so much for me because all of a sudden he has a guy who can draw anything and is on the book for more than 3 issues.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

I really need to read it again eventually. I'm not gonna lie, I didn't totally enjoy it. I was sort of lost, mostly because the TPB has the thinnest pages on earth, and while reading the script, I realized I inadvertently skipped probably like 4 (well, 8 since every page flip is 2 pages) pages. So that didn't help at all, especially in a Morrison story.
I also think I'll enjoy it way more the second time after reading the annotated script. I didn't necessarily enjoy reading the script, but I did find it fascinating and a tiny bit necessary for me to get the finer points of the plot. Maybe I just wasn't reading it carefully enough, maybe skipping the pages really threw me off, or maybe the art didn't convey the information well enough to me, but Arkham Asylum is by far the most convoluted Grant Morrison thing I've read and I can't say I actually liked reading it (and I love Grant Morrison in general). However, I do have massive respect for what Morrison did in it. I won't argue that it's a brilliant piece of work.

Having read the script and knowing all the little things to look out for, I'm sure I'd enjoy the actual comic much more on a second go though.

Goodness, Burnham is the best... Cannot wait for Batman Inc Absolute edition.

And agreed regarding Batman RIP. The writing was so incredibly good, but the super mediocre art by Tony Daniel really brought the whole thing down a couple notches.
I'd definitely say I love RIP despite Tony Daniel's art.

Edit:
Oh, and speaking of Burnham, has anyone read Burnham's Nixon's Pals or Officer Downe? I'm pretty intrigued by them. Mostly because Burnham. They both seem like fun books though.

fertygo

Yeah, RIP's art is mediocre as hell.. and suck a bit of its quality, big shame.. Still love the arc of course.

Man talking about it made me want to re-read lol

that time Superman let Supergirl know what kind of woman he's after

action289-7.jpg

yeah...thats why you cant marry your cousin Superman

cuz its unlawful on Krypton

Zombine

Banned
You know what could be a lucrative business? Holding people's swag bags at cons for cash. I think I'm about to start doing that, dudes. I'll
Hold all your bags for $$$.

Messi

Strongly considering buying the Black and White New 52 Joker and Capullo Batman. Who I guess I identify as 'my' Batman. If I seen them in the store I'd likely buy.

Also pretty sure I am gonna buy this

DCC11511.jpg

Wanted it ever since I read Batgirl Annual #2. I love that Ivy design.

Strongly considering buying the Black and White New 52 Joker and Capullo Batman. Who I guess I identify as 'my' Batman. If I seen them in the store I'd likely buy.

Yeah, I've been thinking of getting them, too. Especially to compliment Harley. I've seen them in person before, they're pretty nice-looking.

Damn. I was never too thrilled with her New 52 design, but there's something about that statue I really like. How much is it / when does it come out?

Messi

Yeah, I've been thinking of getting them, too. Especially to compliment Harley. I've seen them in person before, they're pretty nice-looking.

Damn. I was never too thrilled with her New 52 design, but there's something about that statue I really like. How much is it / when does it come out?

It's been out and can be got for 80-100 ish.

I was thinking it must only be a matter of time before TAS Joker gets a black and white statue to match Harley. I'd be there day one shaking my moneys.

--

Batgirl Annual #2, may be my favorite hero story this year this far.

Such a great idea for an annual.

Can anyone tell me who did the art for the winter section. It was stunning.

It's been out and can be got for 80-100 ish.

I was thinking it must only be a matter of time before TAS Joker gets a black and white statue to match Harley. I'd be there day one shaking my moneys.

TAS Catwoman pls.

I'd definitely like to grab a few of the other B&W statues. Not an excessive number, though. I've seen some insane collections of those statues, and it's a bit weird seeing 40 Batmans and a peppering of other characters. XD

Also might get B&W Zombie Batman when he comes out.

Messi

TAS Catwoman pls.

I'd definitely like to grab a few of the other B&W statues. Not an excessive number, though. I've seen some insane collections of those statues, and it's a bit weird seeing 40 Batmans and a peppering of other characters. XD

Also might get B&W Zombie Batman when he comes out.

I am terrified of Zombies. I couldn't look at that statue if I owned it.

I'd jump at Catwoman or Ivy TAS B&W statues. Hell all of them.

MG310

DCC11511.jpg

I've been pondering that one too...worried about getting one of ebay though as I imagine those vines are fragile. Plus it might keep me from losing my mind and starting in on those Sideshow Premium Format giants.

Zombine

Banned
I really really liked Outcast, very interesting things could develop in that book, it's earned a place on the pull.

I would recommend Outcast to more people, but ComicGAF is pretty Anti-Kirkman. The art is fantastic and reminds me of Aja a little bit. That was an incredibly strong first issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom