• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messi

Anyone think it would be a good idea to come up with a list of essential/must read trades for the OP that we could reference when someone comes in going 'what are the best Batman stories?' or 'what are the best Superman stories' (the answer is that there are no good Superman books). It happens often enough that it could be helpful. It would also be fun to see what some people describe as essential. I'd love to have everything a list I could refer to when I want to buy a new Catwoman or Wonder Woman trade or some such.

Maybe just a name, creator and a blurb outlining the story premise

I'll do the Harley Quinn section if no one else wants to.

Anyone think it would be a good idea to come up with a list of essential/must read trades for the OP that we could reference when someone comes in going 'what are the best Batman stories?' or 'what are the best Superman stories' (the answer is that there are no good Superman books). It happens often enough that it could be helpful. It would also be fun to see what some people describe as essential. I'd love to have everything a list I could refer to when I want to buy a new Catwoman or Wonder Woman trade or some such.

I could also do a section. Probably the most generic one with titles like Sandman/Watchmen and a few Image Books. Would be good with a picture and a short text right?

GAMEPROFF

Banned

I voluteer for a Spider-Man related list.

Zombine

Banned
Anyone think it would be a good idea to come up with a list of essential/must read trades for the OP that we could reference

I've been writing an introduction to comics since that day the one dude tried to get hits for his article. I'll send you what I have a little later. No turtle sex, though.

tim1138

As the resident Old Comics Guy I can tell you that Ostrander's Suicide Squad run is fucking awesome. With as much as DC has been pushing the Squad recently (episode on Arrow, huge part of the upcoming Batman Arkham DTV, rumors of a video game in development, and at one point in time a movie was being developed), it boggles my mind they haven't started rereleasing his run in trade. Maybe after they finish his Spectre and Martian Manhunter runs they'll give his Suicide Squad the treatment it deserves.

Kipp - loved your write up of Unknown Soldier. So as not to spoil anything, all I'll say is keep reading.

Well... they technically started. There was a second volume solicited but they cancelled it due to preorders not being high enough. This industry sometimes. This was 2011 though so maybe they'll try again

tim1138

Well... they technically started. There was a second volume solicited but they cancelled it due to preorders not being high enough. This industry sometimes. This was 2011 though so maybe they'll try again

Yeah I know, but I imagine at this point they'd just start over if they were going to start releasing it in trade again.

I forgot to mention in my original post that the first 56 issues are on comixology. It seems like DC has been releasing it digital at a fairly regular rate.

Mindwipe

Speaking of Batman trades, have they ever done any biggish collections of Morrisons run yet?

Last time I looked it was like 30 trades.

Messi

I think DC want new readers to only think of the new squad when people mention Suicide Squad. They are trying to turn it into a franchise.

I don't envy whoever chooses to do the Batman list.

I feel like a fairly comprehensive "best of batman" list shows up every thread. He's one of those characters were it isn't hard to come up with 10 books that are considered classics. I don't think it needs to be a list to end all lists, just something to point newcomers to when asking for good trades to start with. In Print/Out of Print details might be nice too.

samueeL

Banned

That'd be excellent idea for newcomers like I. Though of course it'd be the best if couple of people would contribute so "bad opinions" would matter less =D

lazygecko

Why not compile some best of lists for Batman's villain roster? Everyone knows The Killing Joke, but what about others like Mr. Freeze, Two-Face, Black Mask, The Ventriloquist, etc?

obin_gam

Just read through the entirety (save for next months finale) of Zero Year and damn it was a good ride! Loved the vivid colors and all the fun tiny nods to the mythology.

One thing I have my doubts on though is how they are going to explain Riddlers overtaking of the city not being mentioned at all during "current times". It feels like a too big of a occurrence to just not mention...

Zombine

Banned
One thing I have my doubts on though is how they are going to explain Riddlers overtaking of the city not being mentioned at all during "current times". It feels like a too big of a occurrence to just not mention...

Looks like I don't need to read Zero Year anymore.

Messi

Speaking of Superman. I just realized I've finished every physical trade I own bar one. All Star Superman. Which I read 3/4 of. Need to buy more books.

Tizoc

Saga #20
Holy frikkin' shit.

Justice League 31
I wouldn't be surprised if Luthor would've
blown Bruce's head off with that gun of his
...and when did
Element Woman join the Doom Patrol?

Transformers MTMTE #30
AW YISS
THE MAGNUS HAMMER!
Kickass issue, some new mysteries and I just can't wait for the next issue XO

I am reading Superman 32 and did Clark just cook a steak and eat it?

The whole making Clark a vegetarian because he can "see" life forces was so silly and stupid. It didn't fit with his background of being raised on a farm, where he would have been taught to value and honor the sacrifice of an animal to provide food for us. It would appear it's been dropped from the N52.

Messi

Hush must be the most divisive Batman book ever published right? Some people looooove it and others think it's utter crap.

obin_gam

Looks like I don't need to read Zero Year anymore.

He took over it two months ago. So if your implying I should have spoilertagged it I dont agree. Plus that it says the very same in the comic info blurb.

Otherwise I dont really understand what you're meaning. It's a good arc, well worth reading even though the whole thing seems forgotten by the comics standard timeline :p

Just read through the entirety (save for next months finale) of Zero Year and damn it was a good ride! Loved the vivid colors and all the fun tiny nods to the mythology.

It got mentioned this week in Batman Eternal.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Hush must be the most divisive Batman book ever published right? Some people looooove it and others think it's utter crap.

Hush is good as 'My First Batman story' but it's as deep as a puddle. It's the pop music of Batman comics.

Got some pretty splash pages in it for sure.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
He took over it two months ago. So if your implying I should have spoilertagged it I dont agree. Plus that it says the very same in the comic info blurb.

Otherwise I dont really understand what you're meaning. It's a good arc, well worth reading even though the whole thing seems forgotten by the comics standard timeline :p

They've been making references to it since just before it started. Forgotten is probably the wrong word. Not relevant any more (in the 5 years later) is more like it. It's not like we talk about 911 every day still.

Cullen Bunn is in something of a corporate comics residence. Woah. And I know it's not Jordie Bellaire making him look good, she couldn't do that for Ellis.

Messi

Hush is good as 'My First Batman story' but it's as deep as a puddle. It's the pop music of Batman comics.

Got some pretty splash pages in it for sure.

Should it be taken less seriously because it is not as deep as some of Batman's other stories. It was my first Batman book when I was getting back into comics at a time when I wanted to see Batman fight the really popular villains that everyone knows. It's a great introductory book for people which is why I feel it has such staying power.

The art is really pretty too. I love this page

hush-610-kiss.jpg

I read the 3 issue mini by Paul Dini and Bruce Timm, Harley and Ivy. What I wouldn't give for a series by these two. They nailed everything in those issues.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Should it be taken less seriously because it is not as deep as some of Batman's other stories. It was my first Batman book when I was getting back into comics at a time when I wanted to see Batman fight the really popular villains that everyone knows. It's a great introductory book for people which is why I feel it has such staying power.

The art is really pretty too. I love this page

hush-610-kiss.jpg

I read the 3 issue mini by Paul Dini and Bruce Timm, Harley and Ivy. What I wouldn't give for a series by these two. They nailed everything in those issues.

Yeah I agree, the art was fantastic. When it was coming out, I thought the way Lee drew Bruce's ears under the cowl was revolutionary. Such a solid and cool looking Batman.

But yeah you just said what I did but nicer :p My First Batman, it's got all the heroes and villains in all their most popular poses and everything!

It's hilarious on retrospect how obvious Hush's identity is though. Like, he's the only new character in the whole book. Riddler was good in this though.

Tizoc

The whole making Clark a vegetarian because he can "see" life forces was so silly and stupid. It didn't fit with his background of being raised on a farm, where he would have been taught to value and honor the sacrifice of an animal to provide food for us. It would appear it's been dropped from the N52.

That's a stupid reason for him to be vegetarian, but I find as him as a vegetarin and in a way it suits him is because he cares for all life or such.

That's a stupid reason for him to be vegetarian, but I find as him as a vegetarin and in a way it suits him is because he cares for all life or such.

How many bugs does he kill when he flys anywhere at super speed? How many rodents end up dead when he fights in a crumbling building?

I think you can easily start getting into silly territory with the caring for all life thing making him a vegetarian. To say it again for me, making him a vegetarian causes a disconnect with his background.

I do think its important to not loose too much of the Kansas farmer from him, because that's a big part of what connects the character to regular humans.

That's just me though.

tim1138

grumpy-cat-8141_preview_zps9177ab07.png

Got the singles already :D

I've read it all in trade, so story wise it's nothing new. I was super impressed with last year's Animal Man omni and I figure Doom Patrol will get the same treatment.

I honestly don't but a lot of trades or hardcovers (I probably have one of the smallest collections here), so when I do I like to make sure it's quality.

I wasn't even talking about the scores, the actual text of those reviews is hilarious.

Yeah they are.

My roommate and I went to pick up our comics yesterday. He approaches me with Catwoman and says, "... do you actually want this?" I'm silent for a moment, just sort of feeling uncomfortable, as I force myself to say, "Y-yeah."

Messi

It hurts Korupt. I just need to believe that she will leave after this arc.

Yeah they are.

My roommate and I went to pick up our comics yesterday. He approaches me with Catwoman and says, "... do you actually want this?" I'm silent for a moment, just sort of feeling uncomfortable, as I force myself to say, "Y-yeah."

You are as bad as me :)

Tizoc

How many bugs does he kill when he flys anywhere at super speed? How many rodents end up dead when he fights in a crumbling building?

I think you can easily start getting into silly territory with the caring for all life thing making him a vegetarian. To say it again for me, making him a vegetarian causes a disconnect with his background.

I do think its important to not loose too much of the Kansas farmer from him, because that's a big part of what connects the character to regular humans.

That's just me though.

Supes can project an aura that tells animals and insects to stay the fuck away from his location. It's part of his Super powers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom